Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Lakers already in mid-season form.

Quote Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post
    well that was glorious. thank you Pacers.
    Wow, I stopped paying attention when Lakers were up by 17 late.

Lakers are ready to blow it up? Moving Beverley too?

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...sell-westbrook

Matt Ryan not the QB got cut yesterday

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    shoot. definitely prepping for some moves that will make them better this season.

The Lakers have been playing well lately and are only a few games away from the playoff/play in pack. I just hope teams 11 and up keep the lakers on that 12th spot at least. And AD has played more games this season than bi and zion so far.

Would y’all do something with that Lakers pick for Chet?

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    The Lakers have been playing well lately and are only a few games away from the playoff/play in pack. I just hope teams 11 and up keep the lakers on that 12th spot at least. And AD has played more games this season than bi and zion so far.
    The thing about the Lakers is that even if the roster generally sucks (it does) we all know that davis and Lebron are enough to be the basis of a solid team when they're both healthy and active.

The question about them that comes up every year is: how healthy and active will they be? Yes, davis has been pretty healthy so far this year, but how many times in his career has he played like 30 games of a season before getting a small injury and missing 3 weeks? It happens all the time. Similarly, Lebron has only averaged about 55 games player per season or the last 4 years. Odds are that he's not going to play more than about 65 this year, based on time already missed.

Combine that with the fact that, thus far, the Lakers schedule has been arguably quite easy (of their 21 games, they've been at home for 13 and have already played the Spurs 3 times and the Pistons) its not a surprise that they're pulling back from the catastrophic start.

I just have no faith in davis' injury luck - he'll probably miss 10-15 more games this year. That, plus the fact that their schedule is about to get harder I think they're going to normalise out a little. In the next two weeks they play:

@ Cleveland
    @ Toronto
    @ Philadelphia
    @ Phoenix (second night of a back to back)
    v Celtics
    v Nuggets

Meanwhile they play coinflip games against Washington only and have only one guaranteed win game v Pistons. I could very easily see them going 2-7 over the next 2 weeks.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyHornetsWhy View Post
    Would y’all do something with that Lakers pick for Chet?
    Like what?

Brow leaves the game 8 minutes in with an injury, not to return, Lakers lose.

This has always been the thing with Brow. Not that he's not an excellent player, because when healthy and engaged he's an all-timer. He just usually plays in an unmotivated fashion and he's very prone to injury.

Every season you predict him to miss about 15 full games, and then have another 6-10 games where he technically plays but leaves at some point with an injury never to return.

Lakers upcoming schedule until Christmas:

- @ Raptors
    - @ Sixers
    - @ Pistons
    - Celtics
    - Nuggets
    - Wizards
    - @ Suns
    - @ Kings
    - Hornets
    - @ Mavs

I don't think it would surprise anyone if they went 3-7 over that span. Wins over the Pistons, Wizards, and Hornets. Nuggets and Mavs are coinflips so I could also see 5-5. Hard to imagine them doing much better than that though, assuming reasonable injury luck for the other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Brow leaves the game 8 minutes in with an injury, not to return, Lakers lose.

This has always been the thing with Brow. Not that he's not an excellent player, because when healthy and engaged he's an all-timer. He just usually plays in an unmotivated fashion and he's very prone to injury.

Every season you predict him to miss about 15 full games, and then have another 6-10 games where he technically plays but leaves at some point with an injury never to return.

Lakers upcoming schedule until Christmas:

- @ Raptors
    - @ Sixers
    - @ Pistons
    - Celtics
    - Nuggets
    - Wizards
    - @ Suns
    - @ Kings
    - Hornets
    - @ Mavs

I don't think it would surprise anyone if they went 3-7 over that span. Wins over the Pistons, Wizards, and Hornets. Nuggets and Mavs are coinflips so I could also see 5-5. Hard to imagine them doing much better than that though, assuming reasonable injury luck for the other teams.
    He left with the flu....is that an injury now?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    He left with the flu....is that an injury now?
    Eh, I wasn't watching the game, I just saw the ''Anthony davis is exiting the game, going to the training room, will not return'' tweets.

The point still entirely stands with regards to his expected availability. You will lose 6-10 games a year that he has technically played in, but leaves 10 minutes or so into for whatever reason and to which he will not return.

You will also lose, on average, about 15 games due to normal style ''games missed due to injury'' shenanigans.

And their upcoming stretch of games is still tough. So the point about their probable record over the next ten games or so is still something I think is plausibly the case.

Basically, he must have felt well enough to start the game, then got repeatedly dunked on, and decided, “Nah, I’m done”.

Chuck nailed it here

Lakers lose to Celtics, now have 16 losses.

That was an important loss. They fought back and had the momentum. Luckly AD missed both FT and Lebron was awfull as usual on defense especially last couple of mins...

Wemby dream is still alive!

One thing I will say is that I've seen a lot of Lakers fans crowing about the fact that we can no longer expect the number 1 pick because they're not the worst team in the NBA anymore.

But what they don't seem to realise is that it doesn't matter. Right now they're the 12th seed, and that's after going on a pretty good run - I could see them managing to make 10th seed but I'd expect them to lose out in the play-ins (obviously could be wrong, maybe they have another gear or pull off a trade, but they're levelling out at the moment with 5-5 in their last 10).

So let's say they end up with the 10th seed and that places them somewhere like 13th in the draft lottery.

Right now, we're 27th in the draft.

I would happily swap the 27th pick for the 13th pick in almost any circumstance. And even if we're not getting a top 3 pick anymore, that's still

A) A huge leap for us and gives us so many more options, including for trading the pick once swapped
    B) A huge blow to a not-very-good Lakers pick who misses the opportunity to pick someone up in the lottery and has to be forced into making a back-end pick which could still work out but has fewer options.

The thing about the Lakers is, sure AD is playing at an MVP level right now. But even with AD and Lebron playing, they're barely a .500 team. There's NO CHANCE they both stay healthy the rest of the season without one or both missing a batch of games.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    There's NO CHANCE they both stay healthy the rest of the season without one or both missing a batch of games.
    this.

And just like that AD out for at least a month due to a foot injury

At least some good news despite the losing streak.

At least some good news despite the losing streak.
    I'd never wish injury on a player, but it was predictable if nothing else.

Just a shame really that the next month's schedule for LA is a pretty soft one. Lots of road games, but they play Hornets x2, Wizards, Magic, Heat x2, Rockets, and Spurs in the next month or so, all of which are potentially winnable games for them even with Brow if everything goes well for them.

On the plus side, I'm not sure I'd have them as favourites in all of those games, and they also play Phoenix, Sacramento x3, Mavs x2, Hawks, Clippers, Nuggets, Grizzlies, and Blazers.

I saw the video of how he got hurt, such a weird injury..didn't look that bad to be honest

I saw the video of how he got hurt, such a weird injury..didn't look that bad to be honest
    Obviously hope it's nothing serious but it's the non-contact injuries that come from nowhere that worry me most. Just feeling something go, unexplained.

Thread Information