Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: October 4th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Chicago Bulls - Preseason Game 1 - 0-0

People say they don't expect to see much of DD in the season, but when you got 4 small guards. I think he'll get some burn because of his defensive versatility and frame.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    How is Temple still here? What a wasted roster spot..

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post

You have to imagine that he's not going to play in the regular season very much. Don't care if he gets pre-season minutes when nobody is playing extensive minutes: someone is going to have to play, and with BI and Trey not active and minutes limited for others, GT is there to soak the minutes up. Who cares, it's preseason.

If he continues getting minutes in the regular season that's a problem for sure, but we have to wait and see if Green will do that before we complain.
    Basketball.

Dyson got that teardrop mole... Because he's a spiritual gangster

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar

He's not going to be doing much. Have to imagine that he's getting time in preseason as a sign of respect. The team will turn down his option after this year and he'll be Coach Temple moving forward.

DD was a steal in the draft

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    You have to imagine that he's not going to play in the regular season very much. Don't care if he gets pre-season minutes when nobody is playing extensive minutes: someone is going to have to play, and with BI and Trey not active and minutes limited for others, GT is there to soak the minutes up. Who cares, it's preseason.

If he continues getting minutes in the regular season that's a problem for sure, but we have to wait and see if Green will do that before we complain.
    Nah, I fell for that one last year. And then Willie lost his damn mind. Chinese water torture is heaven compared to the Temple and Satoransky show from last year.

Dyson has some australian serial killer psychopath in him.

Didn't let the bad shooting stop him from shooting or being aggressive.

Exactly what you want in a PG. Not bad for a 19 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Dyson has some australian serial killer psychopath in him.

Didn't let the bad shooting stop him from shooting or being aggressive.

Exactly what you want in a PG. Not bad for a 19 year old.
    How he ice that game was cold. He playing like a vet in his 1st ever NBA game... I didn't expect him to come out there running so much offense and want run the ball in crunch time.

Nah, I fell for that one last year. And then Willie lost his damn mind. Chinese water torture is heaven compared to the Temple and Satoransky show from last year.

Sure, but one would hope - and that is hope, obviously cannot guarantee - that with a year's worth of seeing the Temple experiment fail, plus Trey's breakout towards the end of last year into the rotation, plus Daniels this year, plus Nance's versatility, plus the return of Zion into getting forward minutes, that any excuse for Temple minutes in the regular season falls away.

Hope.

This is the Devonte I thought we were getting. Not even talking about the shooting.

Used his handle to get into the paint, get to the ft line. Make plays.

Looked like he was moving better.

REALLY hope this version of him stays around.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    People say they don't expect to see much of DD in the season, but when you got 4 small guards. I think he'll get some burn because of his defensive versatility and frame.
    yeah I don't love having Jose and Graham on the floor together, could see DD getting minutes to avoid that. Jose - DD - Murphy - Nance - Hayes is a fun lineup for the 2nd unit

Most exciting take away from last night should be the big man rotation. It looks like the plan is to go with two bigs quite a bit when Zion is out, with some combination of Nance and Jax, or Nance and Willy, or Jax and Willy. And honestly, all three of those combos looked good. We know Jax and Jonas can play together, and I see no reason why Nance and Jonas couldn't play together.

Sure, Devonte hitting some shots was good. But that will come and go and when he isnt hitting, he doesnt really offer much else. Those bigs being active on both ends, and having some ability to stretch opens a lot up for this team. I would feel good with the big man rotation after seeing that. The position to upgrade is backup, backup wing. You gotta trade Temple and Naji, just to ensure Willie doesnt get tempted to play them when BI goes down for a few games here and there. Trade those two for Hamidou Diallo, get Seabron on the roster with a partially guaranteed min, and then sign EJ to the two way. Thats how I would round it out
    @mcnamara247

Temple is like another coach on the team…meaning he plays as bad as a Coach would. Naji is tight with Ingram. I will be surprised if he gets moved.

Quote Originally Posted by mriguy View Post
    Temple is like another coach on the team…meaning he plays as bad as a Coach would. Naji is tight with Ingram. I will be surprised if he gets moved.
    I agree - more Temple than Naji. But sometimes, your job as a GM is to protect the coach from himself.

I dont think Temple is on the team in March, one way or another. His leadership is still valuable now, but CJ has taken over that main role and the team wants BI and Zion to start being more vocal as well. Jonas leads well by example. They got enough good guys in the locker room. Not to mention the staff, who is full of younger coaches that the players can relate to. Temple is not as needed as he was say a year ago

Quote Originally Posted by mriguy View Post
    Yea, same for Willy HG. Part of this great vibe team culture - is now replaceable backup players are too special to trade for upgrades or to not re-sign. I guess they can trade those guys away when the time is right and a clear upgrade is available (Hart & NAW).

Jonas seems too important culture-wise, contract-wise and all the things he does do well - to trade for an upgrade who could defend better. Heck, even Hayes is starting to seem like a real re-sign possibility, unless another team throws a bag offer sheet in RFA.

Basketball Guru

i see you are in regular season mode with the temple stuff lol......ingram and trey didnt play so naji and temple got the bump up to play last night....no big deal...relax playa...

Basketball Guru
    just off of last night the chemistry with this team is off the chain....team came out focus and ready to play.....seem like the 4 and 5 rotation is set.....the length of ingram, herb and trey rotation at the 2 and 3 is tight.....good game last night...

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Most exciting take away from last night should be the big man rotation. It looks like the plan is to go with two bigs quite a bit when Zion is out, with some combination of Nance and Jax, or Nance and Willy, or Jax and Willy. And honestly, all three of those combos looked good. We know Jax and Jonas can play together, and I see no reason why Nance and Jonas couldn't play together.

Sure, Devonte hitting some shots was good. But that will come and go and when he isnt hitting, he doesnt really offer much else. Those bigs being active on both ends, and having some ability to stretch opens a lot up for this team. I would feel good with the big man rotation after seeing that. The position to upgrade is backup, backup wing. You gotta trade Temple and Naji, just to ensure Willie doesnt get tempted to play them when BI goes down for a few games here and there. Trade those two for Hamidou Diallo, get Seabron on the roster with a partially guaranteed min, and then sign EJ to the two way. Thats how I would round it out
    I really like the Diallo idea, but how do you see him fitting in?
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    yeah I don't love having Jose and Graham on the floor together, could see DD getting minutes to avoid that. Jose - DD - Murphy - Nance - Hayes is a fun lineup for the 2nd unit
    Definitely a fun unit.

This Team is so fun to watch !

There was a lot to like last night and just a little not to like.

Zion looked good and should continue to look better as he gets his NBA legs under him. Provided of course that he keeps his weight down. In the last season he played he actually started looking heavier as the season wore on, and this was despite all the games he was playing. Zion's defensive foot work is still a little shaky but he showed decent effort out there.

Herb looked really good in the few minutes he played. Defense is still solid and he looked more confident with his offensive game. Hopefully his injury isn't significant.

Jose looked super confident out there. His game is really improving quickly.

Jaxson looked really good too. I still think we trade him, but hopefully he'll show out enough for a team to make it worth our while.

While Dyson's offense is still very rough, his defense is for real. I wasn't sure how it would translate to NBA play, but it looks like it will. Hopefully his offense can catch up, because Willie has to be salivating over getting him out there.

Our three point shot still has a tendency to run cold. I was bummed that Trey sat out, he was the one (other than Zion) I was most looking forward to watching.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

The Jax-Nance combination is a beautiful thing if Larry can hover around 36% from 3. Between those 2 guys and Trey, youre looking at 3 long switchy defenders with a ton of athleticism and plenty enough shooting to basically pair with any guard duo. I'd personally like to see plenty Jose-BI-Trey-Jax-Larry as the bench unit early on, but I also see the allure of pairing BI and JV and then CJ and Zion. I think we'll see a lot more of Zion at the 3 this season than we are anticipating

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    The Jax-Nance combination is a beautiful thing if Larry can hover around 36% from 3.
    I trust Nance from 3 point and would like to see him take more of them

Thread Information