Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: If you could get one thing from Zion negotiation....

If you could get one thing from Zion negotiation....

We all know it is a superstars league and despite barely playing, Zion is gonna get big money on his next contract. That said, he hasn't played much and he shouldnt just get the exact contract thrown down on the table as say Ja Morant or Luka Doncic has gotten/will get. For the risk the Pelicans are taking, it would seem only fair that Zion's side gives at least one thing back. Lets say they will let you have one thing, which would you prioritize?

1. No Player Option Year 5 - Similar to BI's contract, where it is a straight 5. No option either way.

2. No Trade Kicker - Most guys get a 15% trade kicker. And the team who trades the player has to absorb that, even if the player asks out. Makes the trade matching a little more difficult and could be a lot of money.

3. Injury Protection, leading to voidable years - Similar to Embiid, if he injuries very specific parts of his body and cannot play, the Pels can essentially just waive him (most likely voiding year 4 and 5)

4. No Rose Rule/Limited Rose Rule - As of right now, Zion's next max will start at 25% of the 2023-24 cap. However, if he makes All NBA next season, he can make up to 30% of the cap. I say up to because this is in the negotiated contract. Ja, for example, will have it say in his contract that he will make 30% if he qualifies. Luka did, etc. But you can write it to say that if he qualifies for Rose Rule, he starts at 26.5% or 27%, etc. Doesnt have to be 30%. Thats just the max if you qualify. Siakam, for instance, would have gotten 28% had he qualified for Rose Rule via 2nd team all NBA, 29% if he made first team All NBA, and 30% if he won MVP. Just the standard 25% if he didnt make All NBA or if he made 3rd team All NBA. You can get creative like that.

That's it.... You get one and one only. Which do you choose?
    @mcnamara247

I'd go with #3... its almost a given (unfortunately) that he'll miss time due to injury. Only playing 85 games in 3 years will give you that feeling.

#1 would come in a close 2nd to #3 though.

Season Ticket Holder
    I reject the choice: I give him the full max with no qualifiers. This team is a championship contender if we have Zion for the next 3-5 years. Without him, we're at best the Utah Jazz. Live in the now. We have a legit shot. Let's gamble on Zion.

To quote the Special Man: Let em have it!

Easy when it isn’t your money. Lololol

1 + 3 are most important in my eyes.

#3 because he's extremely injury-prone

Then #1 because his camp/agency have been loud about him leaving since first getting here, so why should I trust him to have a PO. If I need to trade him it's ideal to have that last year as leverage.

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Easy when it isn’t your money. Lololol
    Totally! I'm not a billionairre.

If Zion is good enough to demand a trade, we'll get a haul.
    If Zion is perpetually injured, we're screwed anyway. I don't care if we're in cap hell in 2026.

Don't get cute. Pay the man the full max and go into this season with great vibes.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    Totally! I'm not a billionairre.

If Zion is good enough to demand a trade, we'll get a haul.
    If Zion is perpetually injured, we're screwed anyway. I don't care if we're in cap hell in 2026.

Don't get cute. Pay the man the full max and go into this season with great vibes.
    I don’t think it’s either or. Ingram didn’t get #1 and there is no ill will. I personally would go for the no player option first and rose rule next. Dude would still be getting close to 200 mil, after having played less than 100 games. For a loaded team, and a good coach, etc. Doubt he would be sour after that

I got with no trade kicker. The most likely outcome to me is that he plays well, something happens that severs the relationship with him and the team and he demands a trade. Make it nice and easy on us when it comes to that time instead of dealing with the kicker

Season Ticket Holder
    Good point about BI, but we all know those guys were in very different places when their deals came up. BI was happy to be with a franchise that believes in him and just wants to hoop. Seems like a pretty poorly-rounded fellow. Loves basketball and weed. That's it. Zion clearly has other interests or else he wouldn't have been out of shape so frequently.

Why monkey with his Rose rule money? If Zion earns All-NBA, he deserves All-NBA money.

Good point about BI, but we all know those guys were in very different places when their deals came up. BI was happy to be with a franchise that believes in him and just wants to hoop. Seems like a pretty poorly-rounded fellow. Loves basketball and weed. That's it. Zion clearly has other interests or else he wouldn't have been out of shape so frequently.
    This is satirical, innit

Why monkey with his Rose rule money? If Zion earns All-NBA, he deserves All-NBA money.
    There are different levels of All NBA. Why I think Raptors contract was brilliant. You can sneak onto 3rd team if it’s a down year or there are a lot of injuries at your position. First or Second team, and you are a top 4 player at your position. Give that level of player whatever he wants. Kemba made 3rd team in his contract year. Very good players can make 3rd team in the right years. Not just a Zion thing, I would do that for every potential Rose Rule guy

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    This is satirical, innit
    No. Zion clearly wants to be a megastar. Why do you think he's been rumored to want to go to New York? For the SPOTLIGHT. BI doesn't care about that.

Season Ticket Holder
    There are different levels of All NBA. Why I think Raptors contract was brilliant. You can sneak onto 3rd team if it’s a down year or there are a lot of injuries at your position. First or Second team, and you are a top 4 player at your position. Give that level of player whatever he wants. Kemba made 3rd team in his contract year. Very good players can make 3rd team in the right years. Not just a Zion thing, I would do that for every potential Rose Rule guy
    3rd Team is still pretty darn good. I'm not great at math, but if you're a top 15 player in a given year, go ahead and get paid.

The only way the New Orleans Pelicans are winning a championship is if a number of different best possible outcomes occur, which is basically 100% of expectations. I'd say Herb and Jose have already exceeded their BPO. It seems that Brandon Ingram, if he hasn't already reached his BPO from the time of the AD trade, he's about 95% there. The Willie Green hire looks nice so far, and the CJ trade was probably BPO in terms of what we could possibly get for the package.

The final piece of the puzzle is Zion. It seems like a number of people on this thread don't really understand the injury protection thing, but if we put one of those in and it hits, the Pels are screwed regardless. That's a doomsday scenario where Zion reinjures his foot to the point where it's basically career ending. In that case the Pels could void any remaining years of his deal. Pels are never winning a championship if that happens. It would be nice to have that in there so Gayle can sleep better, and maybe it would help convince her to pay the luxury tax a few times, but its not the Pels best option as an organization. If you pick option 3 then you're basically just saving Gayle a major headache and possibly dismantling some of the relationship formed with Zion recently in the process.

Similarly, if Zion asks out, unless the most even player for player trade in NBA history happens, it would likely set us back 4-5 years. No competing with this core. So, I'll pass on the trade kicker option as well.

That leaves 1 and 4 as he only real options, IMO. I think the best case scenario for this team is if Zion is an all NBA player, and more specifically an MVP, so I think I would be fine with the full Rose Rule, but also a little more happy if it was a sliding scale based on accolades.

All things considered, I think I would just lock him in for the 5 year max if possible. Continue to build a relationship with him based on trust, and lock in your BI and Zion core for the foreseeable future.

That being said, I do think we end up seeing a combination of a few of these.

Also, I'm pretty confident that Zion isn't going to get a Kemba Walker-type All NBA nod. He's either going to be healthy and dominant or hurt and not qualify. I agree with you, but thats a factor to weigh if you can only choose one of these options

You had a top 15 season. Not necessarily a top 15 player. Especially nowadays when 5 of the top 20 don’t play enough games every year. Go look at all the third team guys the last 6 years and tell me you’d want to give all them the max. Because you know what’s better than a top 15 guy? A top 10 guy.

But again, you have no interest in actually playing the scenario because it’s funny money to you. But for Griff he has an actual job and an actual boss so he will negotiate

You had a top 15 season. Not necessarily a top 15 player. Especially nowadays when 5 of the top 20 don’t play enough games every year. Go look at all the third team guys the last 6 years and tell me you’d want to give all them the max. Because you know what’s better than a top 15 guy? A top 10 guy.

But again, you have no interest in actually playing the scenario because it’s funny money to you. But for Griff he has an actual job and an actual boss so he will negotiate
    Well the hypo didn't ask what Griff would do. My point of view is, in a vacuum, which scenario is the most likely to lead to a Pels championship. I think the order is 1, 4, 2, 3

No. Zion clearly wants to be a megastar. Why do you think he's been rumored to want to go to New York? For the SPOTLIGHT. BI doesn't care about that.
    Please. Zion fat = well rounded

Season Ticket Holder
    Yeah, it felt funny when I was typing "rounded" but decided to keep it in there.

No way, no how would I give 'Kawhi' Williamson a Max contract with no team protections.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    No way, no how would I give Kawhi Williamson a Max contract with no team protections.
    good one ha

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Well the hypo didn't ask what Griff would do. My point of view is, in a vacuum, which scenario is the most likely to lead to a Pels championship. I think the order is 1, 4, 2, 3
    Pels ain’t ever winning a championship, but yes, my order would be the same

Season Ticket Holder
    Pels ain’t ever winning a championship, but yes, my order would be the same
    When you say you're not a pessimist and you're only a realist, this proves that you're really just a pessimist. But that's cool. Someone needs to balance out my sunshine and roses outlook.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    No way, no how would I give 'Kawhi' Williamson a Max contract with no team protections.
    The protections are all fake. Again, you have to completely let a player walk, and decide on that a full year before to really be “protected”

I don’t think 99.9 percent of fans really understand that Embiid contract and how it worked. If they did, they would see that there was almost no scenario where Sixers actually used those protections. So, if you are not gonna really use it, why not use your leverage to actually fight for something of real value?

Thread Information