Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Please do not trade Zion or Ingram for Durant (PART 2)

Pelicans Please do not trade Zion or Ingram for Durant (PART 2)

I don’ t know why the first thread got locked. Carry on here and sorry for the inconvenience. I’ m just going to sit back and continue to watch.

Have a great day!

Okay I see why it was locked. Let’s try to do this again. We can do it!

The real debate is: Would you trade everything else for KD?

Because they ain’t moving BI

So, would you do: Temple, Graham, Hayes, Kira , Daniels, Nance, Herb, Murphy, 4-5 picks and 3-4 swaps for KD?

You are left with the big 5, Jose, Naji, Willy, and 3-4 FAs who sign for the min to come chase a ring. Maybe a buy out guy or two in March. Next summer, you can add a BAE and a taxpayer MLE guy. Maybe buy a late first

But basically, you are trying to win a title over the next two years with what could be one of the most talented starting 5s of all time plus a weak bench. Then, in 3 or 4 years, you have Zion and BI in their primes, but likely nothing else
    @mcnamara247

I feel like most will say no to that, so if you are in that camp, put your best non BI and Zion offer. Mine is:

Jonas, Herb, Graham, Temple, Murphy, Kira, Hayes, Pels picks in 2023 (and the swap rights with LA), 2026 (plus swap rights with Mil), and 2028. Plus Lakers 2024/25 pick and Bucks 2027 pick. Swap rights with Pels in 2025, 27 and 29

That’s 4 picks (3 could be very good) and 3 swaps. Plus good prospects in Herb and Murphy. Lotto tickets in Kira and Hayes. And Jonas, who could be kept as a player to help or flipped for more capital

That’s a ton for KD. But I gotta keep Daniels. Will be an awesome connector for all those high usage guys. If they insist on Daniels, I get Herb and one of the picks back. If they want all three young guys, I get the Lakers draft capital back (the swap and the 24/25 pick)

I can’t give it all. But if KD is good with Willie and Collins and wants to come, I give up most of it

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I feel like most will say no to that, so if you are in that camp, put your best non BI and Zion offer. Mine is:

Jonas, Herb, Graham, Temple, Murphy, Kira, Hayes, Pels picks in 2023 (and the swap rights with LA), 2026 (plus swap rights with Mil), and 2028. Plus Lakers 2024/25 pick and Bucks 2027 pick. Swap rights with Pels in 2025, 27 and 29

That?s 4 picks (3 could be very good) and 3 swaps. Plus good prospects in Herb and Murphy. Lotto tickets in Kira and Hayes. And Jonas, who could be kept as a player to help or flipped for more capital

That?s a ton for KD. But I gotta keep Daniels. Will be an awesome connector for all those high usage guys. If they insist on Daniels, I get Herb and one of the picks back. If they want all three young guys, I get the Lakers draft capital back (the swap and the 24/25 pick)

I can?t give it all. But if KD is good with Willie and Collins and wants to come, I give up most of it
    That's alot. You don't think we could keep daniels and herb or trey?

I don’t think we can get KD even if we give them everything. Let alone, keeping two guys. I am just saying what my max would be

That?s 4 picks (3 could be very good) and 3 swaps. Plus good prospects in Herb and Murphy. Lotto tickets in Kira and Hayes. And Jonas, who could be kept as a player to help or flipped for more capital

That?s a ton for KD. But I gotta keep Daniels. Will be an awesome connector for all those high usage guys. If they insist on Daniels, I get Herb and one of the picks back. If they want all three young guys, I get the Lakers draft capital back (the swap and the 24/25 pick)

I can?t give it all. But if KD is good with Willie and Collins and wants to come, I give up most of it
    Let me answer your question with another question. If our entire team was now the San Antonio Spurs, and Pop was the coach, would HE agree to that trade in order to get KD? I'd think not. That's not the San Antonio way. And the SA way has been extremely successful the past quarter century. So maybe we should follow that path.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    New Orleans does not need an easily disgruntled and aging star.

Just wait out his value to keep steadily dropping. Durant got to make this Ben Simmons messy.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    Let me answer your question with another question. If our entire team was now the San Antonio Spurs, and Pop was the coach, would HE agree to that trade in order to get KD? I'd think not. That's not the San Antonio way. And the SA way has been extremely successful the past quarter century. So maybe we should follow that path.
    You mean the team that traded Kawhi for scraps and let the other team get a title?

Nah, I aint following their way of the past few years. Game has changed.

They were ahead of the curve, scouting international and got Tony and Manu, and kept the dynasty afloat as a result. They have no competitive advantages any more, and dont bow down to players - which will result in mediocrity, like we have seen the last few years. Not saying I dont respect how they dont bow down to these divas, but they wont be relevant as a result any time soon.

Again, this all assumes KD is excited to come to NOLA -- which yes, he could change his mind on in 2-3 years if history is any indicator. But if you want to talk hypotheticals.... if KD was on the team and we were going into the season with a starting 5 of CJ-BI-KD-Zion-Jonas and someone came on here talking about trading KD for Herb, a bunch of unknowns and some picks, nobody would say yes to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Just wait out his value to keep steadily dropping. Durant got to make this Ben Simmons messy.
    I dont think the Nets take a lesser deal than anything that is on the table today. In other words, I dont think his value will "drop." They wont make a deal just to make a deal or just take the best of several lowball deals. Whoever gets KD is gonna have to pay big time, or he wont be moved. Now, maybe some of our guys start the season off looking like studs and Nets like a Trey Murphy more in Feb than they do now, or Herb took a step, Hayes makes a Robert Williams type leap, etc. But the price aint coming down IMO

I dont think the Nets take a lesser deal than anything that is on the table today. In other words, I dont think his value will "drop." They wont make a deal just to make a deal or just take the best of several lowball deals. Whoever gets KD is gonna have to pay big time, or he wont be moved. Now, maybe some of our guys start the season off looking like studs and Nets like a Trey Murphy more in Feb than they do now, or Herb took a step, Hayes makes a Robert Williams type leap, etc. But the price aint coming down IMO
    Then, that's not our problem.

The Franchise

That’s 4 picks (3 could be very good) and 3 swaps.
    I’d like to keep Trey (need his versatility), Kira(because his value is prob kinda low), and Daniels (also for versatility). All these players are cheap and cost controlled. Just have to figure out our big situation.
    CJ, Kira
    BI, Daniels
    KD, Trey
    Zion, (Trey, KD, BI in certain lineups)
    ?(maybe Hayes if we could manage but I trust FO with whomever), Billy

I think it is very clear the fan base wont want to give up, on a message board, what it would take to actually get KD. Too much uncertainty, too much attachment, etc.

But, for the sake of the thought experiment, lets say I removed one part of the uncertainty. Lets say I guarantee the following with KD over the next 3 years: 1 title, 1 WCF exit, 1 2nd round exit

For purposes of the thought experiment.... would you give up all the young guys, the picks, and the swaps for that?

I think it is very clear the fan base wont want to give up, on a message board, what it would take to actually get KD. Too much uncertainty, too much attachment, etc.

But, for the sake of the thought experiment, lets say I removed one part of the uncertainty. Lets say I guarantee the following with KD over the next 3 years: 1 title, 1 WCF exit, 1 2nd round exit

For purposes of the thought experiment.... would you give up all the young guys, the picks, and the swaps for that?
    I don't those guarantee mean much of anything. We still need ALL NBA growth from Zion. Lastly, we don't even know how he'll translate to playoff basketball being that he has about as much range as a 1995 cellphone.

I don't think you guarantee a title win.

You can put the 12 best players on a team and it wouldn’t guarantee a title

Read what I wrote again… it’s a thought experiment to try and stabilize a variable to see what the thinker values

If I guarantee a title (in the thought experiment!!) are you willing to have a likely worse 2026-2032? Are you willing to risk a possible title with homegrown guys you like for a definite title with a mercenary you will have no connection to?

Thought experiments are put forth to help clarify priorities. Of many things you like, what do you like most?

Season Ticket Holder
    You can put the 12 best players on a team and it wouldn’t guarantee a title

Read what I wrote again… it’s a thought experiment to try and stabilize a variable to see what the thinker values

If I guarantee a title (in the thought experiment!!) are you willing to have a likely worse 2026-2032? Are you willing to risk a possible title with homegrown guys you like for a definite title with a mercenary you will have no connection to?

Thought experiments are put forth to help clarify priorities. Of many things you like, what do you like most?
    I'll play along. Yes. If we're guaranteed to win a title, goodbye Herb and hello KD.

I'm 46 years old. The last time my team won a title was 2001 (Miami Hurricanes football). I'm a season ticket holder. I'd like to be in the gym when the Pelicans win the title. That would be something!

Literally all the picks and young players. That is so much fun. It's a season and experience I would never forget. Plus, if KD asks out after year 3, there may not be much around Zion and BI but if Zion is truly a top 5 guy, I think we can continue to get by with little to no bench.
    Welcome to be here

Basketball Guru

its new orleans basketball....yes you give them up for KD then in 3 years you still have KD, zion and ingram to trade and build a new team and get picks back....

Griff using clark and windhorst to dampen the fire the Nets tried to start for a bidding war lol

Season Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by b_l_p View Post
    Griff using clark and windhorst to dampen the fire the Nets tried to start for a bidding war lol
    Elaborate?

Aug 9th: via Kristian Winfield @ New York Daily News: The New Orleans Pelicans remain interested in a deal for Kevin Durant, according to a source, and can put together a compelling package around All-Star forward Brandon Ingram, role players like Herbert Jones, Devonte Graham and Jose Alvarado, and the remaining draft compensation they received from both the Los Angeles Lakers in the Anthony Davis trade and the Milwaukee Bucks in the Jrue Holiday trade.

Nets using mouthpiece to manufacture bidding war.

Today/Yesterday Clark and Windhorst both have same report (from Griff, no doubt): The Pelicans are unwilling to include Brandon Ingram in a trade offer for Nets star Kevin Durant, league sources tell Christian Clark of NOLA.com.

-AND-

The Brooklyn Nets have not gotten any closer to trading Kevin Durant since the superstar asked the team to dismiss head coach Steve Nash and general manager Sean Marks, reported ESPN's Brian Windhorst on "Get Up" Monday.

Durant reportedly made the request to Nets owner Joe Tsai earlier in August, with Tsai publically backing his coach and front office member soon after the report surfaced.

Windhorst adds the Nets are reportedly not receiving upgraded trade packages after originally being underwhelmed with the offers they received, while Durant has apparently not forced Brooklyn to ramp up the trade negotiation process following his ultimatum.
    Last edited by b_l_p; 08-16-2022 at 01:46 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I just can’t bear to lose the mystery boxes or the Lakers pick. What if it turns into Wenbangyamama? We could become an enduring elite team for the next ten years or so. Become so good it becomes a talking point to insult us for never actually winning. I’d accept that future.

Of course there’s all the what ifs in the world for those who seek it.

Grif playing mind games. Don’t worry he won’t move Ingram or Zion or C.J.

Up next Boston, Will Boston Buy or Pass on Durant?

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...ing-by-the-day
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 08-16-2022 at 02:23 PM.

Thread Information