.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 37 of 37

Thread: Guess CJ's Extension

  1. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    The Pelicans drafted Hayes knowing that he was very raw. You're talking about a guy who started playing basketball towards the end of high school and then 1 and done in college. And, he is literally younger than Herb Jones and Jose Alvarado. To think he would be a polished and developed player at this point, is completely unrealistic. I think its true that we will let Hayes go, and then he will be a good NBA player, and then people will regret letting him go. We are basically taking on the development cost for him to go be good somewhere else and let another team reap the benefit.
    Once again I'm over the "he only played 3 years of basketball" excuse. It's not all about what he does in the game, it's also how he approaches getting better and from many reports he just doesn't gets it.

    I will sleep fine if he becomes a good player somewhere else. Can't keep wishing and hoping someone finally figured it out after 4 years AND extend him. That's too much for me. I would keep this same energy with anyone.
    CAW CAW!!!

    -Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

  2. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    He has shown that he has a nice pure stroke for a big man, and impressively fluid athleticism to go with his size. What he hasn't shown is good bball IQ. Maybe he will never have good bball IQ. Or, maybe that is a product of the fact that he is less experienced and younger than our rookies.
    That's not what we need from Hayes. Dude can barely set a screen, and he is trying to mirror his game after KD or something. Just not a winning a player.

    I think for some folks who believe in him fantasize about things that don't contribute to winning basketball games. I can care less if he shoots better or have a handle, he is still a detrimental factor to your team losing based on basic things he CANT do.

    It's like having Juju Wright out there man lol.

  3. #28
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    22,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    That's not what we need from Hayes. Dude can barely set a screen, and he is trying to mirror his game after KD or something. Just not a winning a player.

    I think for some folks who believe in him fantasize about things that don't contribute to winning basketball games. I can care less if he shoots better or have a handle, he is still a detrimental factor to your team losing based on basic things he CANT do.

    It's like having Juju Wright out there man lol.
    Depends on what you are asking him to do. As a starter or huge contributor, I agree with you. As a bench big, he offers some value. If we can upgrade, I am all for it. But I am not just of the opinion that we are better without him, regardless of any replacement.

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    That's not what we need from Hayes. Dude can barely set a screen, and he is trying to mirror his game after KD or something. Just not a winning a player.

    I think for some folks who believe in him fantasize about things that don't contribute to winning basketball games. I can care less if he shoots better or have a handle, he is still a detrimental factor to your team losing based on basic things he CANT do.

    It's like having Juju Wright out there man lol.
    Ok but learning how to get better at setting screens seems like its something that is achievable. Its easier for someone with great size, athleticism, and shooting touch to get better there than it is for a player to gain those other skills that he already possesses. Dude already has qualities that will contribute to winning basketball games if/when his bball iq gets better.
    Last edited by hornetsrebirth; 08-05-2022 at 12:30 PM.

  5. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Once again I'm over the "he only played 3 years of basketball" excuse. It's not all about what he does in the game, it's also how he approaches getting better and from many reports he just doesn't gets it.

    I will sleep fine if he becomes a good player somewhere else. Can't keep wishing and hoping someone finally figured it out after 4 years AND extend him. That's too much for me. I would keep this same energy with anyone.
    Yeah 3 years and 3 different coaches/systems, for a guy who came into the league as a teenager with very little previous basketball, I wonder why he doesn't get it. I understand the frustration because he does have great potential that hasn't been realized yet, but its simply unrealistic to believe he would be anywhere close to his final form at this point.

  6. #31
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    3,292
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Yeah 3 years and 3 different coaches/systems, for a guy who came into the league as a teenager with very little previous basketball, I wonder why he doesn't get it. I understand the frustration because he does have great potential that hasn't been realized yet, but its simply unrealistic to believe he would be anywhere close to his final form at this point.
    Just curious, when do you think this remarkable metamorphosis will take place and, and better yet, where will he get his minutes this year?

    Will he play in front of....

    ...Zion?
    ...TM3?
    ...JV?
    ...Nance?

    Heck, I've even seen a few publications that had H'Gomez listed ahead of him.

    So tell me, under what circumstances do you see Willie Green playing him?
    The most important ABILITY that a player must demonstrate in order to claim "Superstar Status" is AVAILABILITY!!

  7. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Just curious, when do you think this remarkable metamorphosis will take place and, and better yet, where will he get his minutes this year?

    Will he play in front of....

    ...Zion?
    ...TM3?
    ...JV?
    ...Nance?

    Heck, I've even seen a few publications that had H'Gomez listed ahead of him.

    So tell me, under what circumstances do you see Willie Green playing him?
    Yeah obviously nobody is saying Hayes should get Zion's minutes. And seeing as he is a big I dont see him competing with TM3 for minutes. With nobody else out I assume he will get like 10-15 minutes a game. Of course its a long season and you expect that guys will be out for some games, in which case he would see more minutes.

    As for remarkable metamorphosis... I dont think that young guys becoming more mature is such a remarkable metamorphosis.

  8. #33
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    3,292
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Yeah obviously nobody is saying Hayes should get Zion's minutes. And seeing as he is a big I dont see him competing with TM3 for minutes. With nobody else out I assume he will get like 10-15 minutes a game. Of course its a long season and you expect that guys will be out for some games, in which case he would see more minutes.

    As for remarkable metamorphosis... I dont think that young guys becoming more mature is such a remarkable metamorphosis.
    Again, if there was any growth (particularly between the ears) in three years of 'extended play, I would be right along side you. But, I see no reason to hold out hope that in year four, JAX will experience some mirraculous epiphany which will allow his ability as a basketball player to show itself.

    I took criticism from overseas for calling him 'Flash or Crash'. Now, unfortunately, I'll go further and call him 'MOSTLY CRASH'.

  9. #34
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    public housing
    Posts
    3,495
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Just curious, when do you think this remarkable metamorphosis will take place and, and better yet, where will he get his minutes this year?

    Will he play in front of....

    ...Zion?
    ...TM3?
    ...JV?
    ...Nance?

    Heck, I've even seen a few publications that had H'Gomez listed ahead of him.

    So tell me, under what circumstances do you see Willie Green playing him?
    All those guys - with the exception of Zion - were available for the playoff series against the Suns and Willie still found minutes for Jaxson. Willie likes to go 10 deep, and during the regular season either because of planned rest or injury, Jaxson will have an opportunity to get minutes. It's ridiculous to suggest we have any evidence that H'Gomez has done something in the last 3 months to pass Hayes in Willie's rotation.

  10. #35
    I mean, Zion is a pretty big addition that you cant just write off. Thats 32-34 mpg at the only position Willie feels comfortable playing Hayes at. You also need to get TM3 more minutes and Nance was fresh off a surgery and had no practice time if we are talking Suns series. Thats at least 40 more minutes needed right there. Where are they coming from? Graham no doubt (who got 10mpg in that series). Still need to cut 30 more. Naji got about 9 a game. Next candidate would clearly be Hayes, who got 14 per game.

    I got Hayes as the 10th man going into the season. But as a matchup 10th man, meaning that yes, Willie will almost always play 10, but against smaller teams Naji or Dyson might be that 10th

    Of course when Zion rests or JV has a game or two off, Hayes will be a sure fire rotation guy. But that is a rotation player via circumstance, not a rotation player IMO. Willie has played about 840 minutes each of the last 2 seasons in that role. Thats what I would set the Hayes over/under minutes at.
    @mcnamara247

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I mean, Zion is a pretty big addition that you cant just write off. Thats 32-34 mpg at the only position Willie feels comfortable playing Hayes at. You also need to get TM3 more minutes and Nance was fresh off a surgery and had no practice time if we are talking Suns series. Thats at least 40 more minutes needed right there. Where are they coming from? Graham no doubt (who got 10mpg in that series). Still need to cut 30 more. Naji got about 9 a game. Next candidate would clearly be Hayes, who got 14 per game.

    I got Hayes as the 10th man going into the season. But as a matchup 10th man, meaning that yes, Willie will almost always play 10, but against smaller teams Naji or Dyson might be that 10th

    Of course when Zion rests or JV has a game or two off, Hayes will be a sure fire rotation guy. But that is a rotation player via circumstance, not a rotation player IMO. Willie has played about 840 minutes each of the last 2 seasons in that role. Thats what I would set the Hayes over/under minutes at.

    Starting 5 is locked in CJ, BI, Herb, Zion, JV

    Jose, TM3, Nance playing big minutes off the bench for sure... but who is the other guy you are playing before Hayes?

  12. #37
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    jacksonville,fl/new orleans
    Posts
    3,554
    same team as toward the last regular season......zion and trey are the added firepower....

    CJ, BI, Herb, zion, JV

    jose, graham, trey, hayes, nance

    healthy team means graham is in his place and will be what he suppose to be.....

    im not high on dyson this season..i think he will be our last season trey and may be in Birmingham....this team is focus and locked on being a top 4 seed i believe and i dont think dyson will have the trust from willie to be counted on as a main contributor.......

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •