Pelicans Report

Page 40 of 59 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 50 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1466

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I want you to provide something of value. Something. Anything.

Start a thoughtful post. Share a deep insight on the game or on roster building. Do that, instead of passive aggressive snipes at someone and that will make the board way better. No need to reply. Just provide something of value
    Do you need a Snickers?

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    He’s not
    not near that on the board at the time of the draft? Who do you think would be after Dyson?

In the grand scheme of things, is 35 games of college ball or 25 G League games or 21 Australian league games really that much evidence? Scouts have been missing on guys for decades who played 100+ games of college ball. A 19 yr old who played 30 games vs 0?.I don?t think the info gap is really that big
    My only argument for this would be the levels of competition. For example Lenoard Miller was cooked when he participated in the draft combine pick up games, like AWFUL. But he looked pretty good in the league he played in.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by coreylaron View Post
    not near that on the board at the time of the draft? Who do you think would be after Dyson?
    I’m not sure on all that. I just know the piece about Sochan

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    My only argument for this would be the levels of competition. For example Lenoard Miller was cooked when he participated in the draft combine pick up games, like AWFUL. But he looked pretty good in the league he played in.
    From everything I’ve read, Sharpe looked great in his Kentucky practices.

I should mention that my tidbit on Sochan is from prior to his meeting with the team

I'm curious if maybe Houston gave Dyson a promise since they have had interest in him.
    Is this a joke SF? Has to be a joke.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I wonder if the team has as much faith in Aaron Nelson as fans have in Fred Vinson.

The consensus top 8 seem pretty clear. But if the Pelicans feel like AJ's defense is related to his injuries, and Nelson can restore some of his athleticism, I could see AJ being in the Pels top 8 if they have real concerns about Sharpe.

Kuminga looked awful in Summer League. Anthony Morrow was a god.

Its all small sample size. And sure, use it as part of the evaluation. But to look at one kid and see 35 games of college and another and see none, or 4, or 9, whatever, and think those are huge differences is just wrong IMO
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I wonder if the team has as much faith in Aaron Nelson as fans have in Fred Vinson.

The consensus top 8 seem pretty clear. But if the Pelicans feel like AJ's defense is related to his injuries, and Nelson can restore some of his athleticism, I could see AJ being in the Pels top 8 if they have real concerns about Sharpe.
    Nelson spent significant time with him and his medicals. Dont know what he concluded but if Griffin is the pick, it will be because Nelso did his homework and gave him the thumbs up

Kuminga looked awful in Summer League. Anthony Morrow was a god.

Its all small sample size. And sure, use it as part of the evaluation. But to look at one kid and see 35 games of college and another and see none, or 4, or 9, whatever, and think those are huge differences is just wrong IMO
    This is a fair point.

I think John Collins goes to Portland and ATL jumps up to #7 and grabs Dyson Daniels.

At that point the best we could do is trade back to pick 10 and grab whoever is left out of Ousmane Dieng or Jeremy Sochan since I believe SA will pick one of those guys at pick 9.

Nelson spent significant time with him and his medicals. Dont know what he concluded but if Griffin is the pick, it will be because Nelso did his homework and gave him the thumbs up
    I keep forgetting about AJ Griffin. Also (I'm assuming on this one) it's a good sign AJ was one of the players that battled with other prospects to be here in NOLA. Wish I could have seen how flexible he was moving.

kind of hope the pelicans board for 8 goes worst case scenario, so they trade down, picking up a future first.

Then it falls apart again and they try to trade out. The phone rings. Is it the Nuggets trying to get Nikola Jovic?

No. It's Taco Bell. Promising Gayle millions in donations to the catholic church if she makes David Griffin take Johnny Davis. Who pretends like it was his idea the whole time when Davis ends up a multi time allstar with his own box combo named after him.

Update on draft position over/under:

Keegan Murray - 5.5
    Dyson Daniels - 6.6
    Benny Mathurin - 6.5
    Shaedon Sharpe - 7.5
    Johnny Davis - 9.5
    AJ Griffin - 10.5
    Jalen Duren - 10.5
    Jeremy Sochan - 12.5

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanProf View Post
    True but Darius was mocked a top 5 player. Since Sharpe only has high school evaluation tape think back to when we drafted high school players. For every Darius Garland there was a Jonathan Bender.
    Where has Sharpe been mocked? Very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    From everything I’ve read, Sharpe looked great in his Kentucky practices.
    Devils advocate here he reportedly didn't stand out in draft workouts with other prospects.

Both sides can be right by the way. Would I draft such an unknown top 8? Probably not, but I understand the allure if we do.

If the Pels decide to take a flyer on a boom/bust guy like Sharpe, this may be the year to do so. The pick from the Lakers is almost like playing with house money. Why not swing for the fences?

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseWinPels View Post
    Devils advocate here he reportedly didn't stand out in draft workouts with other prospects.

Both sides can be right by the way. Would I draft such an unknown top 8? Probably not, but I understand the allure if we do.
    I have a friend that was at one of his workouts and his exact quote to me was "If Ken Griffey Jr's swing was a jump shot"

Said he was the most naturally looking basketball player he had seen in this years workout. Super smooth and effortless athleticism. Personally, I am not buying these "reports" of bad workouts. I think there has been a lot of stuff put out there to try to get him to fall so someone can get a great value. Yes, JaMarr Chase had an insane season in college but before that draft there were some teams trying to throw it out there that he might not be an ultimate competitor because he sat a season. Said he could be rusty because he missed a year and remember the worries in the preseason because of all the drops?

Then, the kid goes out and has one of the best rookie seasons of all time. Sometimes people way overthink things. Kid is almsot 6'6" with a nearly 7 foot wingspan, can jump out the gym and had a butter jumper at 17. Just take him.

But which way does he lean, politically speaking?

Yea I’m pretty convinced that most of the stuff coming out on Sharpe is BS. I’m confident he goes top 7. That kind of talent, athleticism, and length never ever falls in the draft. Garland was tiny, couldn’t defend a lick, and still went top 5

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    If the Pels decide to take a flyer on a boom/bust guy like Sharpe, this may be the year to do so. The pick from the Lakers is almost like playing with house money. Why not swing for the fences?
    I think this is what makes this pick so interesting! It really depends on how you view everything. I can see your philosophy even though I'm on the other end. I feel we potentially have our most talented roster ever (depends on how Zion looks when he comes back) and I wouldn't want to take a boom or bust guy. We have our all stars so build complementary (safe) talent around them or leverage the pick for a quality veteran and another pick. Again, just a different philosophy which makes it entertaining to try and decide which direction the Pels will go. I'm just glad we are in this unique position to have a really solid team with the 8th pick.

I can see Murray falling pretty hard

Teams in the low lottery just can't talk themselves into a 22 year old, when guys like Sharpe and Daniels are still in the board

Still top 10, but not top 5 or 6

I have a friend that was at one of his workouts and his exact quote to me was "If Ken Griffey Jr's swing was a jump shot"

Said he was the most naturally looking basketball player he had seen in this years workout. Super smooth and effortless athleticism. Personally, I am not buying these "reports" of bad workouts. I think there has been a lot of stuff put out there to try to get him to fall so someone can get a great value. Yes, JaMarr Chase had an insane season in college but before that draft there were some teams trying to throw it out there that he might not be an ultimate competitor because he sat a season. Said he could be rusty because he missed a year and remember the worries in the preseason because of all the drops?

Then, the kid goes out and has one of the best rookie seasons of all time. Sometimes people way overthink things. Kid is almsot 6'6" with a nearly 7 foot wingspan, can jump out the gym and had a butter jumper at 17. Just take him.
    I definitely understand the allure to selecting Sharpe at 8. Talents great for sure and this is the year to swing big since it's house money.

Outside of his play, I understand Griff wants players who want to be in NOLA and since Sharpe canceled our workout that might not be him. Then again you know more about that situation so if you still want him it must have been reasonable to cancel on us.

From an outsiders POV though it's hard to understand.

He wasnt the only one who cancelled, though? You gonna pass on Mathurin if he is there? I mean, Griffin was the only one who really showed and went through the full workout agreed to. So, then would you take him because of that?

Look, these guys arent cancelling because they dislike New Orleans. They just like the pitch being sold by other places more. Griff dont cater to these kids. Other places tell these guys, "shut it down, fall to us and you will get 35 minutes a game!" --- kid lights up. Griff dont do that. The kids reps asks Griff what he sees as the role for him and Griff will say things like "If he comes in and works hard, he could earn some minutes, but nothing is guaranteed."

Which team you think the handlers will steer the kid toward? But the second the Pels take him, the agent knows the path to their gravy train. They tell the kid to go in there and work his butt off, contribute to winning and that 2nd contract will come. Has NOTHING to do with the city of New Orleans. Read the above and you will understand whats going on with most of these guys and their handlers.

Which team you think the handlers will steer the kid toward? But the second the Pels take him, the agent knows the path to their gravy train. They tell the kid to go in there and work his butt off, contribute to winning and that 2nd contract will come. Has NOTHING to do with the city of New Orleans. Read the above and you will understand whats going on with most of these guys and their handlers.
    Pretty easy sell when you consider what Trey and Herb are going to be looking at with that second deal.

Thread Information