Pelicans Report

Page 39 of 59 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Why would that be funny? If they draft him, what else would they possibly say - whether it is true or not?

I see what you are doing. You are trying to subtly imply it’s all BS coming from me. Cool. Couldn’t care less if you believe. I just think it’s very convenient that you won’t acknowledge it if and when the things I say ahead of time are true (as some have already come out) and then you are just praying something is wrong so you can try to get some attention for yourself by doing a victory lap claiming victory that I was wrong.

I am sorry nobody tends to pay any attention to you. It must frustrate you. But I can promise you there is no real joy in trying to gain validity by bringing down others. Try to get it by actually adding something to the discourse
    @mcnamara247

I think he’s just implying that it’ll be all lip service even though we know he wasn’t their first choice. Not sure he was directing anything at you

Quote Originally Posted by MG3n2K9 View Post
    I don't think this makes any of kids bad or divas, just an unfortunate sign of the times.

But whereas this doesn't affect a decision on most of them, it would take Sharpe off my board at #8 (unless a trade is already in place).

With the others I have college/G-League/overseas game tape to fall back on. With Sharpe I just have High School, AAU, & college practices to get a feel for his tangibles & more importantly intangibles.
    It doesn't make him a bad kid but it does make him too much of an unknown for my liking. I'm really not looking forward to when they allow high schoolers to enter the draft again for this reason.
    In the grand scheme of things, is 35 games of college ball or 25 G League games or 21 Australian league games really that much evidence? Scouts have been missing on guys for decades who played 100+ games of college ball. A 19 yr old who played 30 games vs 0….I don’t think the info gap is really that big

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I think he’s just implying that it’ll be all lip service even though we know he wasn’t their first choice. Not sure he was directing anything at you
    He definitely was. He knows he was. He tried it on a previous page and I ignored it.. as did others because nobody ever replies to him. But that is 100 percent his intent. The top thing he is rooting for on draft day is for the Pels to do something I said they wouldn’t do. He doesn’t care what. That would be his Super Bowl.

In essence it's all a gamble. Plenty players get drafted between 5 and 10 that are complete misses. I just hope the Pels are hedging their bets on players with more tape to evaluate (essentially not Sharpe). We are in a position where we don't need take a chance on someone because we need to retool the roster. We have our all stars. Just get a solid player at 8 or trade it for a valuable roll player and another pick.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanProf View Post
    In essence it's all a gamble. Plenty players get drafted between 5 and 10 that are complete misses. I just hope the Pels are hedging their bets on players with more tape to evaluate (essentially not Sharpe). We are in a position where we don't need take a chance on someone because we need to retool the roster. We have our all stars. Just get a solid player at 8 or trade it for a valuable roll player and another pick.
    I dont believe Sharpe is any more or less of a gamble than the other guys available at 8. He’s inarguably more talented than a lot of the guys we’re debating at 8. It’s really a just bet/gamble on your own development team and patience

Does Sharpe not have enough tape for NBA teams or for the casual fan? Not enough to make a 12 minute pros and cons video that makes you feel like you know the player?

I think that’s the issue. Teams have the ability to see these kids live, to talk to every single person that player ever came in contact with. Fans don’t. So fans need the games and the 12 minute YouTube video.

Sharpe is essentially a high school player and if he was the next superstar he would go in the top three. That tells me something. If this Pels team was the team from 4 years ago then take a flyer on Sharpe. What I'm saying is that we are lucky to be at 8 and it makes no sense to draft a player like Sharpe. It is all about team building (and timing) and I don't see where a guy like Sharpe fits in. I would be absolutely shocked if the Pels pick him at eight.

Sharpe is essentially a high school player and if he was the next superstar he would go in the top three. That tells me something. If this Pels team was the team from 4 years ago then take a flyer on Sharpe. What I'm saying is that we are lucky to be at 8 and it makes no sense to draft a player like Sharpe. It is all about team building (and timing) and I don't see where a guy like Sharpe fits in. I would be absolutely shocked if the Pels pick him at eight.
    Sharpe practiced for like 3 months with Kentucky. Sharpe worked with Kentuckys training staff during that time. Sharpe learned how to study film from some of the best coaches in the nation. He’s way further along than a high schooler. Just because he didn’t play games doesn’t mean his time on campus was worthless

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Sharpe practiced for like 3 months with Kentucky. Sharpe worked with Kentuckys training staff during that time. Sharpe learned how to study film from some of the best coaches in the nation. He’s way further along than a high schooler. Just because he didn’t play games doesn’t mean his time on campus was worthless
    I never said his time on campus was worthless. He might be player for a team but I can't see the Pels drafting him. He was the number 3 prospect coming out of high school which is good but it was high school. Nothing can simulate live basketball. Also, if he did "that well" at Kentucky practices why wouldn't the number 3 high schooler get drafted top 3 here? It's because other teams don't see him a sure thing either. They have more tape at a higher level of competition to evaluate other players. Again, just my thought and I firmly believe the Pels will not draft him.

Garland had a 5 game college sample size, which many thought was totally insufficient to pick him very early in the lottery

How did that one turn out

I’m super interested to see where Sharpe actually gets drafted. The reason he could drop is because of various ownerships unwillingness to draft a player they’ve never seen. If it was actually up to GMs and there was no repercussions, I think Sharpe would be locked into the top 6

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Garland had a 5 game college sample size, which many thought was totally insufficient to pick him very early in the lottery

Just gotta reopen old wounds.

True but Darius was mocked a top 5 player. Since Sharpe only has high school evaluation tape think back to when we drafted high school players. For every Darius Garland there was a Jonathan Bender.

If mathurin and Daniels are both gone, I could see logic behind drafting Sochan outright at 8. He’s probably near that on the board at the time anyway, and there’s no guarantee he’s there at 12 or 13.

True but Darius was mocked a top 5 player. Since Sharpe only has high school evaluation tape think back to when we drafted high school players. For every Darius Garland there was a Jonathan Bender.
    And for every Giannis & Mitchell is ten Hayes & NAWs. it works both ways, but if you trading back. You really can't miss so badly.

Have to assume there’s a little more tape on these guys now than there was in 1999

Quote Originally Posted by coreylaron View Post
    If mathurin and Daniels are both gone, I could see logic behind drafting Sochan outright at 8. He’s probably near that on the board at the time anyway, and there’s no guarantee he’s there at 12 or 13.
    He’s not

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    And for every Giannis & Mitchell is ten Hayes & NAWs. it works both ways, but if you trading back. You really can't miss so badly.
    Don't necessarily want to trade back, just don't want Sharpe. I agree, at some point you have draft the player but I don't think k he is the guy at 8 for us.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    In the grand scheme of things, is 35 games of college ball or 25 G League games or 21 Australian league games really that much evidence? Scouts have been missing on guys for decades who played 100+ games of college ball. A 19 yr old who played 30 games vs 0….I don’t think the info gap is really that big
    It's not that big but an interview & a workout is more of a need than a want at that point, I would be more inclined to take the risk if he didn't play because he tore his ACL but came down & impressed the powers that be.

Kyrie had 9

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    He definitely was. He knows he was. He tried it on a previous page and I ignored it.. as did others because nobody ever replies to him. But that is 100 percent his intent. The top thing he is rooting for on draft day is for the Pels to do something I said they wouldn?t do. He doesn?t care what. That would be his Super Bowl.
    I posted earlier on this thread that I appreciate your post and other should too. I find them entertaining/informative. What more you want?!

I think it would be hilarious if the Pels punted on the first round entirely, trading back and then out of the draft entirely. Not because of anything having to do with you, but because we have a 40 page thread on lottery prospects. That would be pretty funny. I'd also find it funny if they enthusiastically drafted Sharpe, because several of these 40 pages have been about the lack of enthusiasm for that player, whether that's from Griff or fans, because of XYZ reasons. Unless you have no humor, you'd have to admit it would be pretty funny to hear Griff's press conference filled with Griffisms about Sharpe the human and his fit with our culture. And there are probably a few other things I'd also find funny... like if the Pels drafted AJ Griffin at 8 after seemingly everyone on this board would have been thrilled with that pick 3 months ago and has mostly soured on it entirely since. I'd chuckle at that.

"Laughter is good for the soul" - according to sources
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 06-19-2022 at 11:38 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Kyrie had 9
    Wiseman played in 3 college games and was the #2 pick. Warriors are a smart team. College sample size is clearly not a disqualifier.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I posted earlier on this thread that I appreciate your post and other should too. I find them entertaining/informative. What more you want?!

I think it would be hilarious if the Pels punted on the first round entirely, trading back and then out of the draft entirely. Not because of anything having to do with you, but because we have a 40 page thread on lottery prospects. That would be pretty funny. I'd also find it funny if they enthusiastically drafted Sharpe, because several of these 40 pages have been about the lack of enthusiasm for that player, whether that's from Griff or fans, because of XYZ reasons. Unless you have no humor, you'd have to admit it would be pretty funny to hear Griff's press conference filled with Griffisms about Sharpe the human and his fit with our culture. And there are probably a few other things I'd also find funny... like if the Pels drafted AJ Griffin at 8 after seemingly everyone on this board would have been thrilled with that pick 3 months ago and has mostly soured on it entirely since. I'd chuckle at that.

"Laughter is good for the soul" - according to sources
    I want you to provide something of value. Something. Anything.

Start a thoughtful post. Share a deep insight on the game or on roster building. Do that, instead of passive aggressive snipes at someone and that will make the board way better. No need to reply. Just provide something of value

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Wiseman played in 3 college games and was the #2 pick. Warriors are a smart team. College sample size is clearly not a disqualifier.
    Another good one. Good point. Thank you.

Thread Information