Pelicans Report

Page 38 of 59 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 48 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    It's going to be hilarious when the Pels come out of this draft with an experienced role player, ability to stay below the tax and use all of the MLE, multiple future draft picks, and end up not picking anyone in this draft

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    No...not quite, I'm arguing what any competent GM would do. If you can't manage personalities, you're in the wrong business.

You apparently are a 'needs' drafter. That will get you into a lot of trouble. There was a time when Portland needed a big man to anchor the middle. Long story short, they drafted a guy named Sam Bowie who played about 500 total games, and with the next pick, Chicago drafted a guy named Michael Jordan. The rest is history.
    Griffin can't manage personalities. I think the Zion business has proven that. If you think that makes him incompetent, fine by me.

But once again you're confusing what I think Griffin is going to do with what I'd do as a GM. I'm not saying I'm high on Griffin, I'm not. But I've heard that the Pelicans are high on Griffin. So if they're high on Griffin and they like him better than Dyson, and if push comes to shove and they can't trade down on the pick, then I think that they draft Griffin, even if Sharpe and Dyson are available. Unless they can trade down.

Now maybe they're higher on Dyson than Griffin and a lot of this is just a smoke screen. So in that case, they draft Dyson.

The one thing I'm fairly sure about is they they aren't going to draft Sharpe unless they have a solid deal in place and they know they have a trade set in stone.

Now I know you guys think that Sharpe is the second coming. I know that Sharpe thinks that he's the second coming. I'm just not sure that the NBA front offices out there are quite as enamored with him. Especially if it's true that he was a bit underwhelming with some of the workouts with the teams that he deigned to work out for.

In that case, I don't think that the Pelicans necessarily think that he's that much better a player than Griffin, that they would be crazy for passing up on him.

And I think that the other Griffin, David, is very sincere in his desire to cultivate a family atmosphere, and he's actively looking for players that will fit in with the locker room. And if they don't think that Sharpe is the sure thing that a lot of you do, and they don't think that a lot of other GM's think he's a sure thing, then my guess is they'd rather pass on him and just take the guy they want to take.

As to what I'd do, it's fairly simple. Pray that Murray falls to me and then SPRINT up to the podium and draft him. Failing that, hope that Mathurin falls to me and then walk briskly up to the podium and draft him.

If Dyson and/or Sharpe falls to me, I stall heading up to the podium so I can hear as many trade down proposals as possible. If nothing comes, I shrug and draft Sochan.
    Last edited by Freyfamilyreuni; 06-19-2022 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post

But once again you're confusing what I think Griffin is going to do with what I'd do as a GM. I'm not saying I'm high on Griffin, I'm not. But I've heard that the Pelicans are high on Griffin. So if they're high on Griffin and they like him better than Dyson, and if push comes to shove and they can't trade down on the pick, then I think that they draft Griffin, even if Sharpe and Dyson are available. Unless they can trade down.
    I think you?re wrong

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    It's going to be hilarious when the Pels come out of this draft with an experienced role player, ability to stay below the tax and use all of the MLE, multiple future draft picks, and end up not picking anyone in this draft
    Lol wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. I’m nearly positive based on what I’ve heard that they are definitely making a pick in the second round. A ton of guys they like back there. Not as exciting as a lottery guy tho obviously lol

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Again, Griffs issue with Sharpe was never his preference on where to play. He always questioned his competitiveness

ALL these guys are trying to pick their spots. Every single one.
    I mean, duh. Don?t we all choose where we work in normal non elite athletes jobs? Why would they hope for any different?

I promise you more than one player drafted to or traded here has gone “aww ********. New Orleans? Do I have to?” And then smiled at the presser and said they are happy to be here. Love the city. Etc.

And yet, when fans hear that a guy might not prefer their team, he is drama and should be taken off the board.

People have preferences. I highly doubt Duncan was praying SA won the lottery. If you are a good franchise, you show a kid why you are a great place for him. But of course some kids would rather go higher. Others to places with more PT. Others to better cities. Labeling the ones you hear about drama, when they all do it is just confusing to me.
    @mcnamara247

I highly doubt Duncan was praying SA won the lottery.
    Huh? San Antonio was already a good team who had one bad season because of an injury to David Robinson, one of the best players in the NBA. Why wouldn't Tim Duncan want to slide into that situation?

And yet, he almost left them for Orlando even after they won a title

Wanted to be in South, on East coast. All these guys have random little ones things. Point is, you can’t be all sensitive and not take a guy because you aren’t his top choice. That’s a weak, loser mentality

Griffin can't manage personalities. I think the Zion business has proven that. .
    Oh, but Mr Frey, how can you be so wrong?

Three years ago, everybody and his mother-in-law said Zion's days in NOLA were numbered. Three short years later, Zion claims he wants to be here and is anxious to get a deal done. CJ wanted to be traded to New Orleans and said so. Now that he's tasted the atmosphere around the team, Larry Nance, Jr. now wants New Orleans...longterm. BI re-upped with no strings attached. Hart and NAW were heart-broken that they were traded. The team enjoys playing with one another and for Willie.

I'd say, that. after a rocky start where all the amateur GM's wanted his butt gone, David Griffin and Company has buiilt exactly what he set out to build...a family atmosphere..a collegial workplace...a REAL team. Griffin (and Langdon) has accomplished what Bob Bass, Allan Bristow, Jeff Bower, Dell Demps couldn't.

Will it last? There are some, like you, who doubt it. I say, "We'll see."

Dyson Daniels just cancelled his workout with SAC. Can't wait for Thursday
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Dyson Daniels just cancelled his workout with SAC. Can't wait for Thursday
    And yet nobody will assume because he has a promise ahead of them, in the top 3. Curious.

Is Daniels a bad kid now too? Drama? Or is it fine because he did it to the Kings not us? And what if he is doing it to them, and does it to the others too to ensure he gets to us? Best kid ever?

Bias.
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 06-19-2022 at 08:26 PM.

And yet nobody will assume because he has a promise ahead of them, in the top 3. Curious.

Is Daniels a bad kid now too? Drama? Or is it fine because he did it to the Kings not us? And what if he is doing it to them, and does it to the others too to ensure he gets to us? Best kid ever?

Bias.
    Do people realize these kids want to go to places with a fast track to starting immediately

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Do people realize these kids want to go to places with a fast track to starting immediately
    Sometimes its that. Sometimes its coach play style. A friend or former teammate. Region. Lot of different things. Same reason we all choose different jobs, different places to live, different friends, etc.

But this darn kids better just go where they are told and like it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Oh, but Mr Frey, how can you be so wrong?

Three years ago, everybody and his mother-in-law said Zion's days in NOLA were numbered. Three short years later, Zion claims he wants to be here and is anxious to get a deal done. CJ wanted to be traded to New Orleans and said so. Now that he's tasted the atmosphere around the team, Larry Nance, Jr. now wants New Orleans...longterm. BI re-upped with no strings attached. Hart and NAW were heart-broken that they were traded. The team enjoys playing with one another and for Willie.

I'd say, that. after a rocky start where all the amateur GM's wanted his butt gone, David Griffin and Company has buiilt exactly what he set out to build...a family atmosphere..a collegial workplace...a REAL team. Griffin (and Langdon) has accomplished what Bob Bass, Allan Bristow, Jeff Bower, Dell Demps couldn't.

Will it last? There are some, like you, who doubt it. I say, "We'll see."
    Hope you're right. I'm chalking up the "family atmosphere" more to Willie Green then the piano man.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post

I think that Sharpe would be more than happy to land on a team that won't ever make him actually play basketball. I just don't think that he's a big fan.

Or is it fine because he did it to the Kings
    Yes, it's this.

I think that Sharpe would be more than happy to land on a team that won't ever make him actually play basketball. I just don't think that he's a big fan.
    This dumb

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    This dumb
    He clearly knows the kid and has spent plenty of time with him. Lots of convos. Not like he would just be forming an opinion like that with no direct knowledge. C'mon

I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t understand that Sharpe reclassified

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t understand that Sharpe reclassified
    When people start with the conclusion, they find the info that supports their conclusion extremely easily. But somehow tend to miss the info that does not support the conclusion.

NBA Draft Cabin Fever seems to be reaching peak levels. The discussion has devolved more and more as the draft gets closer.

Bias.
    I'm curious if maybe Houston gave Dyson a promise since they have had interest in him.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I'm curious if maybe Houston gave Dyson a promise since they have had interest in him.
    I really hope this is sarcasm.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I think it's going to be pretty funny if Sharpe is there at 8, Griff drafts him, and the reports come out almost immediately that the Pels are thrilled because they were hoping he'd fall to them.

Bias.
    I don't think this makes any of kids bad or divas, just an unfortunate sign of the times.

But whereas this doesn't affect a decision on most of them, it would take Sharpe off my board at #8 (unless a trade is already in place).

With the others I have college/G-League/overseas game tape to fall back on. With Sharpe I just have High School, AAU, & college practices to get a feel for his tangibles & more importantly intangibles.
    It doesn't make him a bad kid but it does make him too much of an unknown for my liking. I'm really not looking forward to when they allow high schoolers to enter the draft again for this reason.

Thread Information