Pelicans Report

Page 36 of 59 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 46 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    This is why I just take the guy that most teams I am willing to trade with wants and I wait for the pick they have and I negotiate then, depending on if a guy I love is there or not.

I dont trade blind unless the number of guys I love matches the number of picks I have to move down.
    This is what I also believe. So if you guys tune into the draft, don't turn it off after the Pels pick at 8, there may still be something in play.
    Last edited by redrum; 06-18-2022 at 10:10 PM.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    This is what I also believe. So if you guys tune into the draft, don't turn it off after the Pels pick at 8, there may still be something in play.
    You don't want to find how much cash $$$ the Pel's make on their 2nd rounders?

Daniels or Mathurin will be a Pelican

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Did you hear it through a grapevine?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Unless they both get drafted before 8. I think one of them will get taken but not both. But we'll see.

Would you?

Pels 8th + Hayes for Hornets 15th+ PJ Washington. Pels select Ogbaji @ 15.

Pels opening depth chart:

McCollum/Alvarado/Kira
    Jones/Ogbaji/Graham
    Ingram/Murphy/Naji
    Zion/Washington/2nd rd pick or FA
    Jonas/Nance Jr./Billy

And when you have to pay Washington 4/70 to keep him? Happy to do that for a backup 4?
    @mcnamara247

And when you have to pay Washington 4/70 to keep him? Happy to do that for a backup 4?
    Right. Only way that trade makes financial sense is if Zion is getting traded too, then PJ can start at 4.

I dont know how many times it will have to be said this offseason, but you cant just keep adding players. You cant, or better yet I should say you shouldnt, have 15 good players on a roster - all of whom want playing time and will get significantly paid. On top of that, all smart teams do some buying low, not just always buying knowns. And we have a great buy low guy on our own roster named Devonte Graham. Kira is a great buy low now as well. You dont always have to go get them. Kevin Love was a great self buy low last year.

This team should draft at 8 and lose Snell. Thats it. Maybe you dump or waive Temple and add a buy low guy and see if his hunger to get back can give you something this year. Like a Denzel Valentine or a Cody Zeller or a Semi Ojeleye, etc. on a minimum deal. But you cant overstate the fact that you are adding a high usage 27+ ppg scorer to the mix. THATS the change this offseason. Keep everything else stable.

Here’s my final mock, I know someone will jump into the top 8 that isn’t on my list (my money is on AJ Griffin at 7 over Sharpe) but here’s my list.

1. Magic - Jabari Smith
    2. Thunder - Chet Holmgren
    3. Rockets - Paolo Banchero
    4. Kings - Keegan Muray
    5. Pistons - Jaden Ivey
    6. Pacers - Benedict Mathurin
    7. Blazers - Shaedon Sharpe
    8. Pelicans - Dyson Daniels

I dont know how many times it will have to be said this offseason, but you cant just keep adding players. You cant, or better yet I should say you shouldnt, have 15 good players on a roster - all of whom want playing time and will get significantly paid. On top of that, all smart teams do some buying low, not just always buying knowns. And we have a great buy low guy on our own roster named Devonte Graham. Kira is a great buy low now as well. You dont always have to go get them. Kevin Love was a great self buy low last year.

This team should draft at 8 and lose Snell. Thats it. Maybe you dump or waive Temple and add a buy low guy and see if his hunger to get back can give you something this year. Like a Denzel Valentine or a Cody Zeller or a Semi Ojeleye, etc. on a minimum deal. But you cant overstate the fact that you are adding a high usage 27+ ppg scorer to the mix. THATS the change this offseason. Keep everything else stable.
    Agree with this, that’s why I love Daniels or Sochan so much for this team. You have 1 role, go out there and be a dawg on defense and make smart decisions when the ball is rarely in your hands.

Or even for Mathurin. I actually like it better for a guy who doesnt have the strength of defense because he knows that the only way he is gonna do what he loves (shoot the ball) is to play D. So, you build his D into a strength and get the scoring on top of that later. Still want Daniels, but really wont be upset with Mathurin. Just dying to know what they do if both are off the board. Hopefully, we dont find out

Here’s my final mock, I know someone will jump into the top 8 that isn’t on my list (my money is on AJ Griffin at 7 over Sharpe) but here’s my list.

1. Magic - Jabari Smith
    2. Thunder - Chet Holmgren
    3. Rockets - Paolo Banchero
    4. Kings - Keegan Muray
    5. Pistons - Jaden Ivey
    6. Pacers - Benedict Mathurin
    7. Blazers - Shaedon Sharpe
    8. Pelicans - Dyson Daniels
    I honestly have no clue. Supposedly, the Kings are considering Daniels now according to someone I know. I think they just go Ivey and try to convince him, but who knows. Pistons go Mathurin, I keep hearing. I was told that and put it on here before any whispers and those whispers keep getting stronger. If that happens, I would guess Pacers go Murray. At that point, gotta pray for a trade up for Sharpe. If Blazers just grab Daniels there, I am guessing the Pels just take Sharpe and look to trade. They dont wanna take Sochan or Griffin at 8. Maybe Dieng, but imagine the heat they would get to pass on the raw Sharpe for the raw Dieng.

I can’t sway myself one way or the other on Daniels because those Ignite games are hard to watch. For someone who is obviously not a professional scout, I have no idea what I’m watching in those games half the time. And for a player like Daniels, I feel like Ignite was the worst possible team he could play on in order to accentuate his skills because there is so much iso ball and so little spacing. I’m interested to see what you guys think about him, or if we’re collectively just doing the group think thing and trusting there people who know what they’re doing. My friends in the org said it’s even hard for them to really know what they’re watching, but obviously they like him a lot.

I had him as my guy when he wasn’t even a consensus lotto pick. I am an IQ guy and it is so easy to see his IQ on both ends. Put examples in posts way back. Have been told his character and work ethic is fantastic too

My bias is to just bet on that with young kids. Skills improve. Character, work ethic ? Not as much, not until they get humbled

I honestly have no clue. Supposedly, the Kings are considering Daniels now according to someone I know. I think they just go Ivey and try to convince him, but who knows. Pistons go Mathurin, I keep hearing. I was told that and put it on here before any whispers and those whispers keep getting stronger. If that happens, I would guess Pacers go Murray. At that point, gotta pray for a trade up for Sharpe. If Blazers just grab Daniels there, I am guessing the Pels just take Sharpe and look to trade. They dont wanna take Sochan or Griffin at 8. Maybe Dieng, but imagine the heat they would get to pass on the raw Sharpe for the raw Dieng.
    Interesting updates. I wonder if Kings pass on Ivey at 4 (take Daniels or Murray), would Pistons stick to their Mathurin lock-in or take Ivey as BPA can't miss. Either way, seems like the path to the dream draft of getting one of our top-7 guys, is Sharpe going before Pels pick. OKC - Portland, ya'll should def do that trade!

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Interesting updates. I wonder if Kings pass on Ivey at 4 (take Daniels or Murray), would Pistons stick to their Mathurin lock-in or take Ivey as BPA can't miss. Either way, seems like the path to the dream draft of getting one of our top-7 guys, is Sharpe going before Pels pick. OKC - Portland, ya'll should def do that trade!
    Apparently Thunder are super high on Ivey, so if the Kings pass on him, I can see OKC making a big offer to Detroit to get to 5.

I just don't see Griffin drafting Sharpe. I think it's much more likely they trade down and get Sochan or Griffin.

You can’t get from 12 to 5, even with all those picks

I have actually heard they have talked with Sacto to move down from 2 to 4 if Magic take Chet

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    I just don't see Griffin drafting Sharpe. I think it's much more likely they trade down and get Sochan or Griffin.
    You need to have a partner. You can’t just choose to trade down.

I’d be curious to know what Sacramento would want in addition to John Collins in a trade for 4. 8 for Collins makes some sense, so what could we then package in addition to Collins in order to get 4

There will be no pre-draft trade for the Pelicans; the Pelicans sit back, watch the draft, and pick accordingly. If Sharpe happens to be the obvious pick at 8 (I hope it is), then the Pelicans pick him, are in the catbird seat, and wheel and deal a four year rookie contract (plus extension) for Sharpe for the best possible return (hopefully to include a unconditional first rounder next year.

I've said it before and believe without reservation; the Pelicans are already getting two lottery picks next year before the '22 draft even occurs (Williamson and Lewis Jr.).

Aside to MAC: Any information on where Kira is working out and what restrictions he may be under this summer?

You need to have a partner. You can’t just choose to trade down.
    If they can't trade down they take Griffin. If Sharpe is available there is a decent chance that OKC will pounce, we move down and take Sochan. They ain't taking Sharpe with the hope they can trade him later. There is no conceivable way that after the Zion drama Griffin takes on Sharpe's ego and his handlers.
    Last edited by Freyfamilyreuni; 06-19-2022 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I’d be curious to know what Sacramento would want in addition to John Collins in a trade for 4. 8 for Collins makes some sense, so what could we then package in addition to Collins in order to get 4
    We have talked to Atlanta twice in the past week. I like this idea but Hawks want Daniels or Ivey so I don’t know how much 8 appeals to them unless Daniels is there. And if he is, we want him

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    If they can't trade down they take Griffin. If Sharpe is available there is a decent chance that OKC will pounce, we move down and take Sochan. They ain't taking Sharpe with the hope they can trade him later. There is no conceivable way that after the Zion drama Griffin takes on Sharpe's ego and his handlers.
    I think we would have an understanding with OKC. We would select Sharpe @ 8 and, if Sochan or Dieng is still there at 12, we consummate the trade. If not, we'll simply roll with Sharpe.

Thread Information