Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Zion Williamson Would Sign New Pelicans Contract: 'Couldn't Sign It Fast Enough'

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Where did Griffin say this?
    You don’t watch the news much

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/pelican...232058019.html

It doesn't sound certain that one will be offered.

And that is the $200 million - give or take - question that the Pelicans face this offseason, whether to offer the former No. 1 overall pick a lucrative extension that would kick in starting with the 2023-24 season, or roll the dice and see if he can get healthy enough to be a contributor to a team that believes it has a bright future.

''When it's time to have that (conversation), we'll have it,'' Pelicans vice president of basketball operations David Griffin said. ''Right now what we're focused on is him being healthy, and kind of elite condition to play basketball and we'll start there. I think once we get to that point, all those conversations get a lot easier.''

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Pretty sure Griffin is going to want to give him a contract similar to what Embiid got after his rookie deal, while Zion's group is going to want a fully guaranteed max.

That is what's going to be the challenging part. Possible that Zion will turn it down if it's not fully guaranteed assuming he feels confident enough in his health going into his fourth season.

And Griffin isn't going to want to state clearly in a press conference that he's going to offer a max before they have those conversations. It's not like he's coming off back to back MVP seasons like Jokic.

I want Zion to get paid, I pull for the players to get paid as much as possible. I also pull for the organization to make the smartest decisions possible with their capital. Give him the best contract we deem possible, and let him figure out if this is as good as it’s going to get for his current situation. Everyone should look out for their best interests.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    Pretty sure Griffin is going to want to give him a contract similar to what Embiid got after his rookie deal, while Zion's group is going to want a fully guaranteed max.

That is what's going to be the challenging part. Possible that Zion will turn it down if it's not fully guaranteed assuming he feels confident enough in his health going into his fourth season.

And Griffin isn't going to want to state clearly in a press conference that he's going to offer a max before they have those conversations. It's not like he's coming off back to back MVP seasons like Jokic.

Bingo! Bingo! Bingo!

I don't know why Zion bothers speaking to the media when all any one ever does is turn around and say that everything he just said out of his mouth is a lie.

It feels like whatever we have been told about him is usually debunked by his/his family's/the team's public comments, but then everyone try's to explain all of that away with even more speculation.

The 20 Y.O. All-Star seems like he wants to be here, and that is the best solution for us.

Edit: Replying to the Interview, not any specific person or replies in this thread. Sorry lol.
    Last edited by AD-AT; 04-30-2022 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AD-AT View Post
    I don't know why Zion bothers speaking to the media when all any one ever does is turn around and say that everything he just said out of his mouth is a lie.

It feels like whatever we have been told about him is usually debunked by his/his family's/the team's public comments, but then everyone try's to explain all of that away with even more speculation.

The 20 Y.O. All-Star seems like he wants to be here, and that is the best solution for us.
    Money and loving it here are two different things.

Regardless of his intentions he is doing the right thing by saying it. If there was any real beef, I think it?s been quelled. Zion wants to win. I think it is that simple. We have changed drastically since that trade.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Charles Barkley made a good point the other day when discussing Zion?s contract. He said that in this contract, just as there are escalators if the player makes an All Star team, or All NBA team, the team needs to work in a weight clause.make sure that if you are paying him $x, you aren?t left on the hook should he blow up, and that prevents him from playing. It?s a smart idea, though I am not sure how that plays out, or if it?s even possible with the CBA.
    I think a weight clause - if it's even possible - is a horrible idea. How do they decide today what will be the appropriate weight for him to get bonuses at the end of a potentially 5 year deal: deciding at age 21, which is how old Zion will be when he signs, what you should weigh when you're 27 is probably not a great idea.

A games played clause is better, I think, since it implies a weight/health requirement without placing an explicit number on the biological aspect.
    Basketball.

How bout a skin fold clause?

Make him super accountable for what goes into his mouth

Let me know how he feels about being here after he gets paid. If by then he's still fully on-board with being a part of this organization, then I'll be impressed.
    Last edited by Chris; 04-30-2022 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Let me know how he feels about being here after he gets paid. If he's still being positive about being here, then I'll care.
    Yeah that's very fair

I think we got fat Jordan on our hands and y’all will be praising this guy next year he’s got a mid range he’s barely shown off I don’t think we will regret signing him

Be funny if the Pels pick David Roddy of Colorado State in the 2nd round-- then they'd have two guys that are built like football players/The Hulk. He's pretty good too, for a 2nd rnd flyer!
    6'6", 255!

If I could be the gm I would trade our first pick and graham for Ben Simmons and prove New Orleans is about community pushing through being resilient I think he would work wonders for us with ball movement and defense a good substitution for Zion whenever he needs a break Ingram as well honestly think his skills with size would make us a favorite to win it all ; I know Chris and devin booker won’t just shoot over him and don’t gotta worry about him taking shots from the main guy or jacking bad shots like Westbrook would be my dream addition

Quote Originally Posted by Algiersraised View Post
    If I could be the gm I would trade our first pick and graham for Ben Simmons and prove New Orleans is about community pushing through being resilient I think he would work wonders for us with ball movement and defense a good substitution for Zion whenever he needs a break Ingram as well honestly think his skills with size would make us a favorite to win it all ; I know Chris and devin booker won’t just shoot over him and don’t gotta worry about him taking shots from the main guy or jacking bad shots like Westbrook would be my dream addition
    Thank God you're not.
    He is getting paid 33M next season.
    So Zion, BI, CJ and Simmons would be the whole cap.

Has there ever been a question seriously. When was the last time a player on a rookie deal turned down a max contract? If Zion forces his way out it'll be under the next deal.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Thank God you're not.
    He is getting paid 33M next season.
    So Zion, BI, CJ and Simmons would be the whole cap.
    Imagine forfeiting what might be your best chance to add cheap young talent for the next few years in exchange for a guy who will voluntarily sit out an entire season and the privilege of having your cap annihilated

Maybe you get the nets to pay some of it for taking him off their hands and we just had a guy sitting out that said he would play the first game and didn’t say jack afterwards , it was rumored we were interested already who says he don’t love our locker room and our players we don’t have a a hole like Joel all our guys laid back and just want to win might be the type of culture he needs doesn’t have to be depended on just do your thing Brandon cj Trey Zion jv won’t have problems taking shots oh and we have a coach that’s young a can relate won’t throw him under the bus like doc I’m just saying ….. I’m the type that look at and for the positives not a doom a gloom guy bad situations change often sometimes get worst but life is about gambles , we could use that 8th pick and draft a straight scrub that will never be a Allstar or all team defender

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Has there ever been a question seriously. When was the last time a player on a rookie deal turned down a max contract? If Zion forces his way out it'll be under the next deal.
    Here are 10 names to start

https://hoopshype.com/2018/10/17/top...ale-extension/

And you twist things to try and cause drama. You said-

Don’t shoot the messenger. It is what it is. Don’t be shocked if nothing gets done this summer. GRIFF SAID IT HIMSELF
    Nothing at all in his interview or that article quotes him as saying nothing may get done this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    And you twist things to try and cause drama. You said-

Nothing at all in his interview or that article quotes him as saying nothing may get done this summer.

I’m causing drama? Again don’t shoot the messenger. If it were this simple don’t you think Grif. Would have printed and had him sign the contract already? Maybe it happens this summer maybe it does not.

You may want to read what Bradeal posted #52.

Yes there is a chance Zion turns down what is offered. Again don’t shoot the messenger.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 04-30-2022 at 11:31 PM.

If it were this simple don’t you think Grif. Would have printed and had him sign the contract already?
    The league rules that you cannot offer an extension before July 1st. Even if Griff was chomping at the bit to offer the contract and was willing to do so with zero discussion or negotiation, he would not be able to because it is literally illegal under current NBA rules to offer the contract for another 2 months.

I know that this ruins the weird narrative you're trying to build where Griff is purposefully being cagey with the extension, but hey, not my fault you don't know how the extension actually works. Don't shoot the messenger.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The league rules that you cannot offer an extension before July 1st. Even if Griff was chomping at the bit to offer the contract and was willing to do so with zero discussion or negotiation, he would not be able to because it is literally illegal under current NBA rules to offer the contract for another 2 months.

I know that this ruins the weird narrative you're trying to build where Griff is purposefully being cagey with the extension, but hey, not my fault you don't know how the extension actually works. Don't shoot the messenger.
    Okay fine you feel better now. I NEVER SAID THE CONTRACT WOULD NOT BE OFFERED! For God sakes! Look in the mirror. Griff will make the the offer when fit.

FEEL BETTER NOW?

Christ sake McNamara told you this way back!

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Read it again Sherlock

When it's time to have that (conversation), we'll have it,'' Pelicans vice president of basketball operations David Griffin said. ''Right now what we're focused on is him being healthy, and kind of elite condition to play basketball and we'll start there. I think once we get to that point, all those conversations get a lot easier.''
    Sooner or later. Maybe this summer, maybe later on in fall. There is a chance he may not sign it.

It is called a NEGOTIATION

I said turned down the max extension.

Thread Information