Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Zion Williamson Would Sign New Pelicans Contract: 'Couldn't Sign It Fast Enough'

If he signs the extension, that's all I want. That buys us time. Either we continue what we've built for the next few seasons and he is a part of building a winner here, or he asks out. If he were to ask out while on a long extension, that keeps a lot of options on the table, because teams will not have to be afraid of a one year rental like the AD situation.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Gotta be honest, I feel like every time he speaks to the media, he always looks uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Gotta be honest, I feel like every time he speaks to the media, he always looks uncomfortable.
    He has always seemed a bit "socially awkward" (for lack of a better term). He does not seem comfortable in front of the camera. He's still a kid, so it may take him a while.

Some people just never really get good at speaking to crowds. There are frontmen of world famous bands that will tell you they still get the shakes and throw up before going on stage despite having toured the world for 20 years. Maybe Zion's one of those guys.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I mean, you do have to take things with a grain of salt. He was never going to say, in the Pels gym, on Pels media day, ''no, I will not be signing an extension''. Plus, there's always that possibility of signing the extension and then requesting a trade afterwards anyway - which is what AD did.

But the fact is that those are all maybes, what ifs, and oh-no's. Based on the actual information we have publicly available right now, combined with Griff saying in his availability that the easy part of handling the extensions this summer is that everyone wants to be here, there's good reason to suspect he's signing that deal and is going to play in New Orleans for at least a little while longer.

Which is good!
    No but there is a very available canned answer that's been used a million times..."we're gonna sit down when that time comes and hopefully we come to an agreement."

But he chose not to go with that.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He reminds me of my 12 year old stepson. The way he holds his mouth. His cadence. The fidgeting.

Total mamas boy.

Everyone that thinks this will be a slam dunk . McNamara told you it was not and now Christian Clark. Nothing new here. Nothing has changed.

https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans...798041444.html

Griffin wants to make sure he is getting his money?s worth before he agrees to anything. They might take some time. Maybe not during the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    why all the talk about how he doesn't want to be here though. Sure seems like this is a guy that wants to play for the Pelicans.
    Because silence is deafening. He himself has not spoken to the media since media day last year, when he could?ve controlled the narrative directly but chose not to. If you don?t do that and stay silent, then the speculation monsters come out and control it themselves. Especially nationally.

There was the little interview with Joel and AD where he stated that he loved New Orleans, but that got swept under the rug quickly because it didn’t fit their agenda. Which is get him to a major market so they can cover him and jack up their ratings.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Everyone that thinks this will be a slam dunk . McNamara told you it was not and now Christian Clark. Nothing new here. Nothing has changed.

https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans...798041444.html

Griffin wants to make sure he is getting his money?s worth before he agrees to anything. They might take some time. Maybe not during the summer.
    Is that really what your boy said though. I recall the narrative being about Zion and his people don't want to be in New Orleans.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    McNamara told you

Is that really what your boy said though. I recall the narrative being about Zion and his people don't want to be in New Orleans.
    Don’t shoot the messenger. It is what it is. Don’t be shocked if nothing gets done this summer. GRIFF SAID IT HIMSELF

On that note Chris Paul loves New Orleans. That is where his boys are at! Is he playing there?

Don’t shoot the messenger. It is what it is. Don’t be shocked if nothing gets done this summer. GRIFF SAID IT HIMSELF
    I feel like that, and even the article to be honest, kind of overstate what Griff was saying. If you actually watch Griff's availability, he mentions the word ''challenging'' once in a fairly long answer that discusses Zion's extension, CJ's extension, Nance's extension, the importance of continuity, etc. It's not like he just went ''oh yeah, Zion's contract that'll be a challenge''. He had been asked about the fact that there's a lot of guys under contract near year and whether or not that makes it easy; he was just pointing out that while it does make it easier in some respects (because you're ''not trying to plug holes everywhere'' to quote Griff directly) you still have the challenges of the team.

The framing of this makes it look like Griff was singling Zion out as a problem negotiation or something, which just isn't the case. In that same response he also said ''the thing that makes it easy is that everyone wants to be here''.

I feel like that, and even the article to be honest, kind of overstate what Griff was saying. If you actually watch Griff's availability, he mentions the word ''challenging'' once in a fairly long answer that discusses Zion's extension, CJ's extension, Nance's extension, the importance of continuity, etc. It's not like he just went ''oh yeah, Zion's contract that'll be a challenge''. He had been asked about the fact that there's a lot of guys under contract near year and whether or not that makes it easy; he was just pointing out that while it does make it easier in some respects (because you're ''not trying to plug holes everywhere'' to quote Griff directly) you still have the challenges of the team.

The framing of this makes it look like Griff was singling Zion out as a problem negotiation or something, which just isn't the case. In that same response he also said ''the thing that makes it easy is that everyone wants to be here''.

In other words Griff. Offers the extension when he feels like it, Whenever he feels like it. It probably won’t be immediately. Don’t worry I’m sure he will give you updates just like the medical updates.

No rush. We got all summer, then fall, and winter, and next spring.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 04-29-2022 at 08:56 PM.

I still think he signs he extension... so that he can be traded. Until I see different I'm going with that.

Hope he stays... just don't think he will.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I still think he signs he extension... so that he can be traded. Until I see different I'm going with that.

Hope he stays... just don't think he will.
    All depends on what your definition of staying is. If he plays another 3 seasons here, and we're still not able to put together a team that can compete for a title, then yeah, he probably leaves. You make the playoffs each of those three seasons, make it to the second round once and the WCF finals another time, I don't see him going anywhere. Now, you get to the point where you're 8-9-10 years into a career and you still haven't won a title, you're gonna ring hunt. How many teams has CP3 been on now? Five.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    All depends on what your definition of staying is. If he plays another 3 seasons here, and we're still not able to put together a team that can compete for a title, then yeah, he probably leaves. You make the playoffs each of those three seasons, make it to the second round once and the WCF finals another time, I don't see him going anywhere. Now, you get to the point where you're 8-9-10 years into a career and you still haven't won a title, you're gonna ring hunt. How many teams has CP3 been on now? Five.
    That's basically my take. I think Zion would probably prefer to stay here for his career - in a perfect circumstance, I think most stars want to stay on one team forever. Everyone likes that idea of being the Dirk, the Duncan, the Magic, the Kobe, who defines a franchise. Spent their entire career there. When you think of LA, you think Kobe and Magic. Tim Duncan is the Spurs. Guys want that, they want that legacy, that loyalty-fame, that jersey in the rafters.

But they also want to win. If you can provide an avenue for both, I think that more often than not, they will stay. If you don't, you almost force their hand. If we're a 50+ win team every year for the next 3 years and make deep playoff runs, Zion stays. If this is our peak for the next three years, or if we get swept out of the first round twice and miss the playoffs once, then yeah he's leaving.

All that means is that the team needs to win. Which isn't news to anyone.

Where did Griffin say this?

Sometimes Christian Clark seems to get personal with his "reporting" and twists things to fit his agenda. He is probably still butt hurt about being called out about his irresponsible reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Where did Griffin say this?
    I'm pretty sure he's referring to his insistence that Griff pointed out Zion as a ''challenging'' contract. So it's just that miscommunication again.

Has anyone ever seen a player who was offered their first 9 figure contract turn it down?

He's going to secure the bag and worry about forcing his way to his desired destination later. He'd be foolish not to sign after the way he has bloated up and with his injury risks... just like the Pelicans would be foolish to offer the full extension to him now. If I'm the Pels I'm only offering the full extension if he accepts a lot of it being conditional on games played and conditioning metrics.

The smarter thing to do after the "non-season" Zion has just had is to simply wait a year. He'll still be an RFA next summer so he can't walk if the Pels don't want him to. Also gives him and the Pelicans time to increase his value by showcasing it on the court.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I cheer for the team no matter who is on it. However he makes the team better. And hopefully that top 10 pick does too.

Charles Barkley made a good point the other day when discussing Zion’s contract. He said that in this contract, just as there are escalators if the player makes an All Star team, or All NBA team, the team needs to work in a weight clause.make sure that if you are paying him $x, you aren’t left on the hook should he blow up, and that prevents him from playing. It’s a smart idea, though I am not sure how that plays out, or if it’s even possible with the CBA.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Here is Griff's interview. Extension talks begin around the 4:15 mark. Listen to the whole interview though.

Thread Information