Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Zion Williamson Would Sign New Pelicans Contract: 'Couldn't Sign It Fast Enough'

Zion Williamson Would Sign New Pelicans Contract: 'Couldn't Sign It Fast Enough'

After Zion Williamson sat out the entire 2021-22 season while recovering from foot surgery, it had appeared his tenure with the New Orleans Pelicans would end sooner than expected.

But Williamson said he doesn't plan on going anywhere. When asked if he would sign a contract extension with the Pelicans, the star told reporters: "Of course. I couldn?t sign it fast enough."

Interesting summer ahead.

Season Ticket Holder
    He also said at the 36 minute mark

"From a physical standpoint, I definitely could have played. But me and my team and the front office and the team, we decided that longevity was better than to rush back." This has been what I've been speculating. No friction. Both parties understand how much money is at stake. It wasn't just "Griff running out the clock." It was all parties, with Zion being a kid and not wanting to go along, but ultimately relenting to the grown-ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2XdFmOrCNY
    Last edited by Upper Decker; 04-29-2022 at 01:26 PM.

"If you know me, you know I want to be here".....Zion Williamson 04/29/22

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    The national media and the fan base going to have to chill the F out with this manufactured Zion drama. This is the end of it, right here!

Near full transcript of Zion's media (I didn't bother putting in some repeated stuff):

Q: How would you describe the past year? What's it been like for you?

Zion: laughs aloud Uh, it's been a rough year. Had rough patches, but I'm in a great space now.

How are you physically now, is the foot fully healed?

Oh I feel great, I feel great.

Great space how?

Being around the guys, being in the Smoothie King, seeing that playoff environment. In the locker room, we have a special locker room. My first two years it was a good locker room but this year was, I guess maybe it was the playoffs, it was more together I would say.

What has it been watching this run at the end of the season?

Being real, I'll always be real with you, it sucks watching from the sideline because I just wanna be out there. But just seeing the potential, we've got a lot of great pieces and I'm excited to get on the court with those guys.

Impressions of Willie Green

On a personal note it's great to see a young African-American coach in this position, and Willie is a straightforward dude but he also gives people the chance to shine on the stage. His saying is 'not calling you out, I'm calling you up'.

If you're in a great space now, were you not in a great space before?

Yeah, that's with any injury. When I hurt my knee in my rookie year I was in a bad space then because I'm an athlete. I think people don't understand that when you have an injury like that it affects your everyday life, driving, getting up to do things around the house, it impacts everything. So it sucks. But when you're able to walk and run and do stuff, it's a great space after that.

You're eligible for an extension; if they offer it will you accept it?

Of course! I wouldn't be able to sign it fast enough.

What's the exciting part of the situation

The locker room, it was a different feel this year. A lot of that goes to BI's leadership, the young guys all buying into Coach Green so fast, and you saw it on the court. We have a special group, I truly believe that.

Thoughts on CJ

Man, Mr. McCollum - this is payback for that, I get you back for that one - CJ is a great dude. In the short amount of time I've been around him I've learned so much from him. Great teammate and I'm excited to get on court with him.

Are you confident this is a place you can reach your individual and team goals?

I'm one of those people that believes that the more your team wins, the more individual awards will come. So like I said, with a special group, a coach like Willie who is very emotionally invested, a lot of great things will happen with that.

Things blew up around you when CJ came over, what do you think about that stretch?

I was focused on rehabbing at the time. I texted CJ shortly after to apologise about that because like I said, I was mentally not in a good space but I mean, Mr McCollum, luckily, was cool about it.

How tough was it hearing the speculation around you?

Man, I can't control rumours and how people feel about certain things but I said this in my interview with Antonio, anybody that knows me knows I want to be here. If they feel otherwise I can't help that but if you know me, you know.

Do you feel it'll be important to stay connected this summer

Absolutely, I spoke to coach right after the game and said Coach, whatever you need from me, setting up the team, events, getting the team together, anything I can do - I'm there. We've got a special group, guys are already excited about coming together this offseason.

Development of the rookies

I'm glad you asked that question. I was in the locker room one day and I forgot that they were rookies one day to be honest because I was looking at a picture and it said 'the Pelicans rookie draft class this year is special' and I was like, man. They are rookies. The impact. Jose will tell you, before every game, I said Jose, you're the X Factor out there. Just be you. Then seeing Herb, who I think is First Team All Defense, have that impact right out of the gate. Trey Murphy, y'all see it, the moment he catches the ball the whole crowd stands up. You've got to be a different kind of shooter for the crowd to feel like that.

How close are you physically?

I definitely could have played. But me and my team and the front office and the team, we decided that longevity was better than trying to rush back.

Your warmups before the game, how much did that help you? Being on the court, pre game

I'm going to give a big shout out to Teresa Weatherspoon on that one. I don't know how she does it but she reads me like a book, I can't even lie to you, she knows what I'm really - when I'm down and when I'm out of it, she just knows. It makes her special, she just knows how to uplift anybody and it was her idea for me to start working out at Smoothie King, to get the feel for it, to remember that this is the court you play on. When I'm out there, she's a good hype person, I'll give her that, that's why I'll be out there smiling and laughing. Her and Cory Brewer.
    Basketball.

I don't think there was any doubt of him signing that contract.. we offer him the most guaranteed money despite him being injury prone... would be stupid if he didn't secure the $$$ cause he can always ask to be traded if he wants out

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Why didn’t Mac say he’d definitely sign the extension?

What? What’s that, speak up imagination person. He did? Oh.

Zion and the brass on the same page?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Why didn?t Mac say he?d definitely sign the extension?

What? What?s that, speak up imagination person. He did? Oh.
    Let's just enjoy it when he signs, until the noises he wants out start from his camp

Couldn’t sign it fast enough? Am I tripping on verb tense or is he saying he already signed the extension? Is that even possible?

Couldn’t sign it fast enough? Am I tripping on verb tense or is he saying he already signed the extension? Is that even possible?
    Nah, you have to remember the question.

They said if you get offered the extension, would you sign it? So it's a conditional question. He has to respond in the conditional - either saying he ''would'' or ''could'' - to be grammatical.

Good enough for me. Now on to trading Davonte Graham and Garrett Temple for dryer lint.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Why didn’t Mac say he’d definitely sign the extension?

What? What’s that, speak up imagination person. He did? Oh.
    why all the talk about how he doesn't want to be here though. Sure seems like this is a guy that wants to play for the Pelicans.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Good enough for me. Now on to trading Davonte Graham and Garrett Temple for dryer lint.
    Not that easy bud, we would have to attach a 1st rd pick if we want that dryer lint

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Nah, you have to remember the question.

They said if you get offered the extension, would you sign it? So it's a conditional question. He has to respond in the conditional - either saying he ''would'' or ''could'' - to be grammatical.
    Remember the question? I didn’t even hear it.

Remember the question? I didn’t even hear it.
    There's your problem!

He's lying. He's deceitful like most players. What he says from his mouth doesn't matter.

Sauces matter. That's all that's ever mattered. Mild sauces.

Let's move on.

I don't believe it at all. I prefer to believe the people that didn't know he had foot surgery last year until everyone knew. Obviously this 21 year old dude is a master actor and just can't wait to get out of NOLA.

He said all the right things and good on him for it. It's always been more likely than not that he signs the extension and we clearly proved why he should, also that whole not playing a single game this year thing. It makes the most sense for both sides to sign the extension.

We also need to remember that stars sign and ask out later now. If we suck and dont make the playoffs the next 2 years, Zion is going to ask out.

I think we need decent health and a competitive 2nd round playoff series or 2 these next 2-3 years
    Welcome to be here

I mean, you do have to take things with a grain of salt. He was never going to say, in the Pels gym, on Pels media day, ''no, I will not be signing an extension''. Plus, there's always that possibility of signing the extension and then requesting a trade afterwards anyway - which is what AD did.

But the fact is that those are all maybes, what ifs, and oh-no's. Based on the actual information we have publicly available right now, combined with Griff saying in his availability that the easy part of handling the extensions this summer is that everyone wants to be here, there's good reason to suspect he's signing that deal and is going to play in New Orleans for at least a little while longer.

Which is good!

Basketball Guru
    if anyone of us were zion,,we would sign the extension also.....its the right thing to do to secure your financial future....and in 3 or 4 years down the road if things are not working out in your view then you can ask out but the org should also be prepared for it if that happens...........

why zion would not sign an extension or why would we offer him an extension should have never been a topic....you pay the guy and we get value with or without him...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I don't think anyone realistically thought he wouldn't sign it. He seems genuinely happy to me. Will be interesting to see if he can put it all together health-wise and see how this team does next year.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    I don't think anyone realistically thought he wouldn't sign it. He seems genuinely happy to me. Will be interesting to see if he can put it all together health-wise and see how this team does next year.
    this is what im waiting to see....i want zion to come into training camp in the best shape he has been in his nba career....have a chip on his shoulder for not playing in the playoffs....go to dinner and sit down with willie,,BI,and CJ and put everything on the table how each other feel and how each one want to contribute to making the team get past the first round of the playoffs...and hope the on court chemistry is there to get the team back in the playoffs as a 1-6 seed...

Season Ticket Holder
    If you watch the video, you can tell he's genuinely STOKED to be a Pelican and be part of this team. Maybe he was aloof before, but he's clearly bought in. A credit to Willie Green for sure!

All the pessimistic kunts can jump in the lake.

David Griffin sees it differently. Glad we are on the same page

https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans...798041444.html

Thread Information