Pelicans Report

Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022-23 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Utah interested in Ayton.

Minnesota is so stupid. 5 1st round picks.... Wow
    Wonder if they'll get a similar haul for Donovan, because I can't see him wanting to be a part of a rebuild.

Y’all sleep on Shamit

Quote Originally Posted by coreylaron View Post
    Y’all sleep on Shamit
    I like Shamit 90% of the time and the In the NO pod is my favourite of the Pels podcasts. I just think on this matter he's going a bit too far.

MM said a few pages back that, though he personally would prefer the slow-build, grind-it-out, grow-with-the-team style victory, he can at least theoretically understand why some people just want to win now, win big, and damn the consequences long term.

Shamit, unfortunately, can't seem to do the same kind of understanding the other perspective on this issue. He's acting like if you're not in favour of giving away everything down to the clothes on your back for KD, you don't want to win or you're unserious or you think you're too good for KD or whatever.
    Basketball.

The two teams in the finals this year were drafted and developed. The super teams pieced together by adding stars like the Lakers and Nets watched the finals on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by harschman View Post
    The two teams in the finals this year were drafted and developed. The super teams pieced together by adding stars like the Lakers and Nets watched the finals on TV.
    Neither of those teams where good super teams when the wheels fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Neither of those teams where good super teams when the wheels fell off.
    Yeah, that's my point. The super teams usually have no depth and a lot of these "stars" miss time.

I'm in the camp of build around the core and just add a piece here here and there. I think it was MM that posted an hypothetical trade of Hayes for Isaiah Stewart, that would be a nice trade for a player that fits this teams mentality.

I think Sham and BootKrewMedia are scheming for views with this take.

This whole KD seems to be about riding the YouTube KD algorithm wave

It's funny how an offseason forecasted as quiet due to few marquee free agents is turning into a League shaping one. There's still two major players to be traded and yet there's already so much change.

Gobert's deal is an interesting one because it assess the value of draft picks by themselves. Usually teams willing to trade an all star are asking for combination of draft picks and young players. Here Minny wanted to keep its young core intact so they had to make the deal by the draft picks only. Quite interesting for the pels if they want to imagine deal without giving up young talents to get another allstar.

New Jose footage. He's looking good.

He looks like he's gone up a level

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I like Shamit 90% of the time and the In the NO pod is my favourite of the Pels podcasts. I just think on this matter he's going a bit too far.

MM said a few pages back that, though he personally would prefer the slow-build, grind-it-out, grow-with-the-team style victory, he can at least theoretically understand why some people just want to win now, win big, and damn the consequences long term.

Shamit, unfortunately, can't seem to do the same kind of understanding the other perspective on this issue. He's acting like if you're not in favour of giving away everything down to the clothes on your back for KD, you don't want to win or you're unserious or you think you're too good for KD or whatever.
    I think (actually, I know) that if you talked to Shamit over a beer in person, he would see both sides and is fine with the team going either way. Twitter does weird things to you, man. Why I quit every time my followers start growing. Its just people coming at you non stop and the opinions can not be rich and detailed because of the character limit. So, as most humans would do, you snap back at people spewing hyperbole with your own hyperbole and it just gets worse from there.

Long way of saying that Shamit in person is not the same as Shamit on Twitter. That app is poison and not reflective of real life
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think (actually, I know) that if you talked to Shamit over a beer in person, he would see both sides and is fine with the team going either way. Twitter does weird things to you, man. Why I quit every time my followers start growing. Its just people coming at you non stop and the opinions can not be rich and detailed because of the character limit. So, as most humans would do, you snap back at people spewing hyperbole with your own hyperbole and it just gets worse from there.

Long way of saying that Shamit in person is not the same as Shamit on Twitter. That app is poison and not reflective of real life
    Twitter should be renamed 'Hot-Take(er)'

Just because it’s boring, let’s talk pure on court basketball fit for a trade that won’t happen

CJ-BI-Herb-Jonas

Who is the better basketball fit assuming both are their best, healthy versions of themselves- KD or Zion. Just next year or two, let’s say

Just because it’s boring, let’s talk pure on court basketball fit for a trade that won’t happen

CJ-BI-Herb-Jonas

Who is the better basketball fit assuming both are their best, healthy versions of themselves- KD or Zion. Just next year or two, let’s say
    Until I see Zion play at Duke level defensively, I can’t pick him over Durant as better fit.

I am not as worried about Zion next to two non shooters in Jonas and Herb as I am about having three minus defensive players, one slightly positive (Ingram) and one positive.

CJ-BI-Herb-Jonas

I’d go with Durant. He puts pressure on the rim (not as much as Zion) but also scores super duper efficiently from the perimeter and mid range. Allows CJ, JV, and BI more space to work, they won’t see double teams, easy layups, etc . Allows to not worry about scoring from the perimeter in the slightest, driving and kicking to 4 competent to deadly weapons. On defense he has enough length to provide some secondary rim protection that Z doesn’t have. The reverse to my argument is that Zion drives would probably lead to triple and quadruple teams, leaving open target practice shots for the other guys

CJ-BI-Herb-Jonas

KD is the better fit IMO. He's a better fit offensively and defensively. His ability to shoot will open up things for the offense as will his ability to post up. His mid-range game along with CJ and BI... we could rename them to the Middy Pelicans.

But yeah for the next couple years I'd take KD over Zion. if Zion develops a deadly jumper and becomes the demon on defense like he was at Duke, then maybe we could re-visit the question.

Also have to factor in the gravity when KD doesn’t have the ball and what that does for everyone else. And defensively, yes I take old KD over Zion too. I think KD clearly gives the team higher upside for at least the next two years, maybe the next 3. And yes we can play the what if game in the positive and imagine Zion developing this and that and doing this and that. But if you are allowed to imagine on that side, you should also be able to on the other and what if the dude is just always dealing with some injury? Some conditions issues. Never becomes a good defender. Imagine a world where he is closer to the next Oden than Embiid and you passed up a chance for KD for that.

Lastly, I wonder what KD would do for the careers of Herb, Dyson, and Trey, even BI. You see what winning at a high level and making the game super simple for young dudes does for a Poole or a Kuminga. If those guys play in 8-10 grueling playoff series over the next 3-4 years, are they better in 2026-27 than if they played in say 4 or 5 and never tasted WCF or Finals?

Don’t know the answer to that. Don’t know the answer to anything in the future. I just think these debates are always far more complex than how they get simplified down to (win now vs win longer)

Also have to factor in the gravity when KD doesn?t have the ball and what that does for everyone else. And defensively, yes I take old KD over Zion too. I think KD clearly gives the team higher upside for at least the next two years, maybe the next 3. And yes we can play the what if game in the positive and imagine Zion developing this and that and doing this and that. But if you are allowed to imagine on that side, you should also be able to on the other and what if the dude is just always dealing with some injury? Some conditions issues. Never becomes a good defender. Imagine a world where he is closer to the next Oden than Embiid and you passed up a chance for KD for that.

Lastly, I wonder what KD would do for the careers of Herb, Dyson, and Trey, even BI. You see what winning at a high level and making the game super simple for young dudes does for a Poole or a Kuminga. If those guys play in 8-10 grueling playoff series over the next 3-4 years, are they better in 2026-27 than if they played in say 4 or 5 and never tasted WCF or Finals?

Don?t know the answer to that. Don?t know the answer to anything in the future. I just think these debates are always far more complex than how they get simplified down to (win now vs win longer)
    Lord knows, I have been as critical as anyone of 'The One'. And I agree that KD has had a Top Fifteen (if not Ten) career. But it comes down to one thing for me:

34 versus 22.

Too, Durant has played just 90 games in the last three seasons. While it is still more than what 'The One' has played, it speaks more to him being on the downside of the bell-curve as he was rather durable throughout his twenties.

I can't see trading 'Him', additional high-caliber prospects, and a litany of draft picks for KD at this stage of his career.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Make it stop! Keep this team as is! Why are they even humoring trading for a relic?!

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Make it stop! Keep this team as is! Why are they even humoring trading for a relic?!
    People have been abused by this franchise for so long that they can no longer trust a situation to be good, even if it looks good. Something else must be better. Something secretly must be wrong. So we better change it all now before we get hurt: this team can't fire us if we quit.

There's an interview out there with guitar legend Paul Gilbert where he's talking about how differently he plays and how different his gear/set-up is today than it used to be. I can't remember the exact quote but he says something like ''I was sounding great, everything felt good, so naturally I had to change everything''. That's how at least some of the dialogue surrounding this sounds.

The fans are probably the only ones entertaining this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    There's an interview out there with guitar legend Paul Gilbert where he's talking about how differently he plays and how different his gear/set-up is today than it used to be. I can't remember the exact quote but he says something like ''I was sounding great, everything felt good, so naturally I had to change everything''. That's how at least some of the dialogue surrounding this sounds.
    I agree. It’s just absurd to finally build a young entertaining team and then trade for someone that may be the most boring player in the sport. Adding KD doesn’t even move the needle more than it is at the current time, because you will have to gut the future and lose some of the young talent that we enjoyed so much last year. I have no interest in watching KD play basketball.

CJ-BI-Herb-Jonas

This is an easy one because Durant is probably the most adaptable superstar maybe ever? I honestly can't think of a team where he wouldn't fit and make them exponentially better on the court.

It's just when the non-on court starts to creep in that this becomes a discussion.

Thread Information