Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: December 1st - New Orleans Pelicans vs Dallas Mavericks - 6-17

anyway, Willie's got to certifiably be on crack to not play Kira more than he's playing him

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    I was actually feeling much better because I thought our coach finally learned from his mistakes. Unfortunately I just remembered that he is a New Orleans Pelicans coach, and we never hire people who are not completely retarded to coach our team.
    All of our recent coaches have this dumb built in mentality to play useless vets, makes me wish we went after an out of the box hire at least once in the past 3 years

Basketball Guru
    i want to see billy and jax on the floor together....they played good last season together....i be calling for jax to get some run at the 4...might as well do it this game..

Basketball Guru
    so we just not going to match dallas height in this lineup lol...

It's sad to me though the lack of defensive improvement from Ingram year after year. Everyone outside of Herb isn't that good or that naturally talented on that end but there's few guys I see that consistently look lost on rotations this year than BI... well maybe excluding NAW/Jax at times. Though to be fair he's carrying a fairly large offensive load but still, really thought this was the year he took the leap.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    so we just not going to match dallas height in this lineup lol...
    Willie waved the white flag, but it still doesn't make sense to play small ball here even when your actively forfeiting the game lol

Anyone that says BI hasnt been better on defense this year is just lazy. Especially off ball and on rotations. Thats probably his biggest improvement.

And on ball he is allowing a 43% defensive Fg%. Which is among the top third in the league and on par with Herb.

The pick and roll defense with the Pelicans bigs have been an issue all year. They drop way too far and teams like Dallas and Utah just eat it up.

This crowbar of minutes of Sato and Temple just has to stop. Especially Sato.

Kira is clearly outplaying him in every way possible and this makes no sense.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Keep Kira and Trey. The reset of these dudes on the court can be liquidated.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    If I see Sato or Temple in the starting lineup i'm just going to start boycotting games. It's futile to start a game with both arms tied behind your back.

Huge waste of everyone's time unless you are actively tanking. But we aren't....

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Anyone that says BI hasnt been better on defense this year is just lazy. Especially off ball and on rotations. Thats probably his biggest improvement.

And on ball he is allowing a 43% defensive Fg%. Which is among the top third in the league and on par with Herb.

The pick and roll defense with the Pelicans bigs have been an issue all year. They drop way too far and teams like Dallas and Utah just eat it up.
    ehhhhhhh... Ingram's not the problem but if he's been markedly better off ball and on rotations, it certainly hasn't manifested in any meaningfully impactful way. And I find it hard to believe that our bigs dropping too far in PNR's is the entirety of the problem with our defense. Outside of Herb, we don't have guys that can contain dribble penetration very well, we're not a very smart team off-ball across the board, and yes, our bigs can be regularly made liabilities in the pnr. When you stir it all together it ends up being a bottom 10 defense, which is what we are oddly enough. But i don't know how this team isn't better than it is if a team with Herb Jones, J-Val, Josh Hart, Graham to a lesser extent and an Ingram that has improved defensively is still godawful defensively

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Keep Kira and Trey. The reset of these dudes on the court can be liquidated.
    Herb?

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    ehhhhhhh... Ingram's not the problem but if he's been markedly better off ball and on rotations, it certainly hasn't manifested in any meaningfully impactful way. And I find it hard to believe that our bigs dropping too far in PNR's is the entirety of the problem with our defense. Outside of Herb, we don't have guys that can contain dribble penetration very well, we're not a very smart team off-ball across the board, and yes, our bigs can be regularly made liabilities in the pnr. When you stir it all together it ends up being a bottom 10 defense, which is what we are oddly enough. But i don't know how this team isn't better than it is if a team with Herb Jones, J-Val, Josh Hart, Graham to a lesser extent and an Ingram that has improved defensively is still godawful defensively
    Since he came back into the lineup, they are now 5 - 6 and defensively (before tonight) they were ranked 13th during that stretch. As opposed to 25th on the year.

The issue is our bigs are not only dropped too far, but they continue to back pedal into the lane. There is just little resistance while guys try to fight over screens.

And no BI isn't Herb but he's been far from the defensive liability he was in the past.

Whoever is guarding the other side of the pick and roll just hasn't been aggressive at all. There is no resistance. Not even a hard tag. That is an issue that probably won't resolve with Zion back.

They just allowed Dallas to shoot almost 70% for an entire game with 60 points in the paint.

Just a totally unprepared defensive game plan to get pick and rolled to death. That's all Dallas did. Nothing complicated.

They just allowed Dallas to shoot almost 70% for an entire game with 60 points in the paint.

Just a totally unprepared defensive game plan to get pick and rolled to death. That's all Dallas did. Nothing complicated.
    Pelicans been playing it that way all year. No big steps up to stop the ball and gives up a wide open shot...hoping for them to miss.

Since he came back into the lineup, they are now 5 - 6 and defensively (before tonight) they were ranked 13th during that stretch. As opposed to 25th on the year.

The issue is our bigs are not only dropped too far, but they continue to back pedal into the lane. There is just little resistance while guys try to fight over screens.

And no BI isn't Herb but he's been far from the defensive liability he was in the past.

Whoever is guarding the other side of the pick and roll just hasn't been aggressive at all. There is no resistance. Not even a hard tag. That is an issue that probably won't resolve with Zion back.
    which is weird because I feel like this is exactly the problem we had last year. Our bigs played deep drop coverage and never made any attempt to contest at the level of the screen and guards either killed us from midrange or got a head of steam to attack/dish out of help. And like you said whoever's on the weakside hardly drifts out to even tag the roller. I just don't know at this point how much that lies at the foot of the coaches or the players. Feel like we have the exact same defensive problems we had back in 2019

Totally Agree!!!

The Franchise

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Herb?
    Herb wasn’t on the floor at that moment. It was Kira, Trey, the little guy whose name escapes me, Jax, and Naji.

Lamelo Ball is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Herb wasn’t on the floor at that moment. It was Kira, Trey, the little guy whose name escapes me, Jax, and Naji.
    Alvarado. I like him. He'd be a proper rotation guy if he was taller

Lol. Was checking the Clippers game today and it reminded me of a dream I had last night where Brandon Boston was going off, and I was getting super irate at actual Griffin someone for trading the pick. I think some of you guys from here were there too

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    His obsession with NAW is destroying mine,
    This times one fricking million

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    And not only that, but how can Green have fallen in love with him so much? What is he seeing that nobody else is?
    Generally it's usually things like "being in the right place", not blowing coverages, etc. when coaches play the "washed" veteran over the young guy.

ehhhhhhh... Ingram's not the problem but if he's been markedly better off ball and on rotations, it certainly hasn't manifested in any meaningfully impactful way.
    I agree with this. I get trying to find positives in Ingram's defense but it's bad, it has always been bad, there are reasons both physiologically and practically that it is bad, and while you can use DFG% (a highly tricky stat with a huge amount of noise, anyway) all you like, he marks out as bad defensively in basically every other metric, including setting career lows in both STL and BLK%.

There's optimism and then there's wishful thinking.
    Basketball.

Thread Information