Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lowry OUT

Rumor Lowry OUT

Barry Jackson
    @flasportsbuzz
    ?
    ESPN reports tonight that New Orleans and Dallas - two Lowry suitors - have begun to look elsewhere for point guards. The Dragic/Achiuwa package should get this done for Lowry barring any late issues; Achiuwa hasn't yet been informed because talks can't begin until 6 p.m. Monday.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I think we’ve been seeing this coming for awhile now, but I’m not sure it qualifies for “breaking news” / “Lowry out” if it hasn’t happened yet IMO.

True. But teams aren't "tampering" either are they? lol

The news is that the Heat are pursuing him and are considered in the lead to land him. Does not mean a deal is complete.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I agree and fully expect it to happen at this point.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Any Pels fan who actually expected us to land a top free agent is living in an alternate universe.

Oh we're all fully aware it's tampering, right?

Nobody actually believes that teams and players wait until they're officially allowed to speak to do so, right?
    Basketball.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Are we sure this is a thing? Who even is that guy? Stein, Shams, or Woj and I'm there. I'm not even into Lowry, but whatever. We're gonna do somethign.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Are we sure this is a thing? Who even is that guy? Stein, Shams, or Woj and I'm there. I'm not even into Lowry, but whatever. We're gonna do somethign.
    Woj reported it already.

It’s not tampering if the teams are trading players, is it?

But yes tampering is a thing and has been. The league wont do anything to stop it even when teams make it blatantly obvious.

Better them than us. Does anyone here really want to spend $30M + on a guy that will be 35 going into next season? That?s a ticking time bomb waiting to happen. Like JJ Reddick, but more expensive and without a podcast.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Never was a fan of getting Lowry. I think he is vastly overrated. If we are going after a veteran I want CP3 other than him give me a youngin
    I'm a grinder

This is us dodging a bullet. Old vets that aren't significant needle movers aren't what we need. I'd much rather trade for Sexton than Lowry.

Can't avoid the feeling that there are some intense sour grapes going on in here.

You know that you can just say ''oh well, it was always a long shot and he was probably going to be a bit too expensive anyway'' without deciding to also add ''and he's also not that good a player anyway y'know, he's probably going to fall off a cliff in the next five minutes, in fact we're better off without him, he doesn't move a needle'' yadda yadda.

Lowry is an excellent player, he's been excellent for a long time, and his game isn't the style of game that tends to deteriorate with the flick of a switch. He's consistently posted very good impact metrics for years, played on very good teams that have won lots of games where he's posted very good on/off numbers for most of his career, is a 5x All-Star, ex-all NBA, and a champion. Coming off a 17/5/7 season on 59%TS. We don't have to pretend that he sucks now just because didn't get him.

Edit: just to clarify, I know some of you guys were against Lowry before this as well. I'm not saying that anyone who is glad we're not getting Lowry is in sour grapes mode. If it doesn't apply to you then you know it doesn't apply to you and there's no need to get upset about it.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 08-02-2021 at 07:30 AM.

I?m super happy he won?t be signing with us and I am not sour

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Lowry is an excellent player, he's been excellent for a long time, and his game isn't the style of game that tends to deteriorate with the flick of a switch. He's consistently posted very good impact metrics for years, played on very good teams that have won lots of games where he's posted very good on/off numbers for most of his career, is a 5x All-Star, ex-all NBA, and a champion. Coming off a 17/5/7 season on 59%TS. We don't have to pretend that he sucks now just because didn't get him.
    I don’t think anyone is saying he hasn’t been a great player, he’s a hall-of-famer. He is just the age where the vast majority of even really great players do fall off a cliff. There are a couple recent counter examples (Paul, Lebron), but those guys are also in a different tier of greatness.

If you told me there was a good chance Kyle Lowry doesn’t decline substantially, I would have been all for it. Kyle Lowry of last year would be a perfect fit. I even think there’s a good chance he maintains most of his level of play in Miami. I just had a feeling that if he took our money at that age there’s a good chance it ends really badly.

Can't avoid the feeling that there are some intense sour grapes going on in here.

You know that you can just say ''oh well, it was always a long shot and he was probably going to be a bit too expensive anyway'' without deciding to also add ''and he's also not that good a player anyway y'know, he's probably going to fall off a cliff in the next five minutes, in fact we're better off without him, he doesn't move a needle'' yadda yadda.

Edit: just to clarify, I know some of you guys were against Lowry before this as well. I'm not saying that anyone who is glad we're not getting Lowry is in sour grapes mode. If it doesn't apply to you then you know it doesn't apply to you and there's no need to get upset about it.
    Somewhat natural on message boards. Also, some will convince themselves that whoever we sign is the perfect signing.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Somewhat natural on message boards. Also, some will convince themselves that whoever we sign is the perfect signing.
    A team's fans, by definition, lack objectivity.

Across the street on Airline Drive there was a guy who played five years longer than he should have, but don't tell a Saints fan that. While the team was chasing championships, he was chasing Hall of Fame records and collecting inflated paychecks along the way.
    Last edited by As I See It; 08-02-2021 at 08:30 AM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I wouldn’t say five years. But we should’ve been looking to get someone good enough to force Brees out before he may have wanted to. Always rather leave too early than too late. And he absolutely should’ve not come back in 2020. Hindsight and all notwithstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I wouldn’t say five years. But we should’ve been looking to get someone good enough to force Brees out before he may have wanted to. Always rather leave too early than too late. And he absolutely should’ve not come back in 2020. Hindsight and all notwithstanding.
    I disagree, and this is where I think there are two different kinds of objectives.

Some people want to do everything to maximize the chance to win a title. Some want to have a team with players they want to root for. Obviously both types want both things, but when it comes to a decision where you have to prioritize one or the other, some prioritize A and others B.

If I were a Saints fan, I'd rather welcome Brees back and have him finish his career here and probably have no real chance at a title last year than have acquired, say, Ryan Tannehill and have a 5-10% chance at a title and kick Brees out the door or have him play for another team.

I believe the point of sports is entertainment and titles are nice, but you get more overall entertainment and joy from watching guys you like and who grow with the team have success than you do have a bunch of mercenaries win your team a title. I definitely did not think that when I was younger, but as I got older, I want that more than a better chances at titles with mercenaries
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I believe the point of sports is entertainment and titles are nice, but you get more overall entertainment and joy from watching guys you like and who grow with the team have success than you do have a bunch of mercenaries win your team a title. I definitely did not think that when I was younger, but as I got older, I want that more than a better chances at titles with mercenaries
    So much this. Maybe its because I've always lived in NOLA, but when I follow a team, I support them BECAUSE they represent NOLA. I want to see the teams be competitive, and have players that I like, and a title would just be a bonus. Its what I really hate about todays age of free agency and superteams. When I was young (60's,70s,80s), players had loyalty to teams and to the fans. Now, everything is about the almighty dollar. That's what has now ruined college football as well, the almighty dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    So much this. Maybe its because I've always lived in NOLA, but when I follow a team, I support them BECAUSE they represent NOLA. I want to see the teams be competitive, and have players that I like, and a title would just be a bonus. Its what I really hate about todays age of free agency and superteams. When I was young (60's,70s,80s), players had loyalty to teams and to the fans. Now, everything is about the almighty dollar. That's what has now ruined college football as well, the almighty dollar.
    See Curt Flood,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    This is us dodging a bullet. Old vets that aren't significant needle movers aren't what we need. I'd much rather trade for Sexton than Lowry.
    Preeech

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    See Bill Gates

I do think he was too expensive personally. But it would have been interesting to see a Pellies team with Val and Lowry in the starting lineup.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    See Bill Gates
    You are consistent in making incoherent arguments, but this one may take the cake

Thread Information