Pelicans Report

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer League 2021

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Also think Jones, Murphy and Naji make an interesting troika on the floor. All are active, long guys who play smart team basketball. Don't know how much run they can realistically get together in the real season, but I wouldn't rule it out...
    I don't know how much run any of them necessarily will get, but on paper I'd like to see it as long as long as the right duo was alongside them. I could see something like a giant, multi-ball handler unit of Zion/Murphy/Naji/Jones/Hayes being simultaneously hilarious and also just beating the Jesus out of backup units. That would only work if Naji's shooting was improved from last year (he was about 35% on 2.5 attempts a game: if he was something like 37% on similar per-minute volume or higher, that's the kind of improvement I mean) because otherwise Murphy would be the only real shooting threat in the lineup. But in terms of just being defensively menacing with tons of size and length and mobility combined with a little bit of transition athleticism and enough room for Zion to play on-ball surrounded with shooters or off-ball cutting/posting with someone like Naji on ball - who I trust as a decision maker in limited minutes - it would be fun.

And if you ever looked at that lineup and just thought it wasn't quite shooty enough, you can always swap Hayes out for Ingram and bump everyone up one slot in the position chart, so it's Zion/Ingram/Murphy/Naji/Jones in a sort of small-ball ''everyone is 6'9'' kind of unit Very ''Toronto Raptors'' in that respect, given their lineups recently and going into next year with Pascal and OG and adding Scottie Barnes etc.

And even if none of those lineups ever actually play, the fact that we can discuss these options with 10 or 11 players who are actually usable is rare for a Pelicans team.

Edit: Worth mentioning that some of our best lineups last season, in terms of impact, were various Zion + Bench units where shooting was often somewhat scarce but it didn't matter because Zion can bully the hell out of backups with zero issue and the rest of the guys just needed to be ancillary scorers/handlers/defenders. He played a ton of minutes with Hayes, Hart, NAW, some with Kira, and basically all of those lineups just killed.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 08-11-2021 at 10:40 PM.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Love to see these Pelicans players play. Great that they are winning these games. Willie's coaching might really make the difference.

Just finished watching the game. We gotta appreciate the hustle from the whole team. Naji was super impressive with his play and effort. I hope he doesn't get injured. He is a much better version of Hart with a better 3 point shooting and we have him for much less. He goes to the ground in the summer league when he already has his contract and forces a turnover at the end of the game when we are up by 18 or so. You gotta love him. Kira had some turnovers but also some nice defensive plays. Overall he looked really smooth to me. Murphy didn't hit any three but still contributed. Didi had some nice defensive moments too. It was a pleasant game of basketball to watch.

Our commitment to defense and team play give Me great hope for the future. Let's stick to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    Our commitment to defense and team play give Me great hope for the future. Let's stick to it!
    Agreed and Murphy's floaters and post moves were really good. Post moves probably won't work against the big boys tho.

Kira is never going to be a starting point guard for mine.

He has the Lonzo disease where most of the passes he sees is to someone open for three out behind the perimeter. But not passing in the belly of the key, still out close to the perimeter where it's less effective.

I've been a half decent point guard in my time and I was good at these type of passes. But I still think kicking it out to the open(ish) guy on the perimeter when you've barely driven inside the 3 point line was very rudimentary. The defense begins to collapse and it's basically no brainer territory, in terms of a successful pass. But these are still quite contested shots.

I want a real point guard who can slice down the lane, draw defenders and hit someone for the easy 2, like LaMelo or Morant or Trae or Lowry do

Kira and NAW are virtually the same player, albeit the height difference.

That's why I wanted Cooper so much, he's a point guard savant type guy, a la CP3 and Deron Williams at his peak

He should have been taken at 43. We lack wizardry passing from the PG spot. He was right there.

That would have been an A draft from me. I love 3M3 and Herb as we all do
    Last edited by AusPel; 08-12-2021 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Agreed and Murphy's floaters and post moves were really good. Post moves probably won't work against the big boys tho.

He has the Lonzo disease where the only pass he can see is to someone open for three out behind the perimeter.
    I want a real point guard who can slice down the lane, draw defenders and hit someone for the easy 2, like LaMelo or Morant do
    Kira made some floaters and layups. I think he can get there

He has the Lonzo disease where the only pass he can see is to someone open for three out behind the perimeter.
    I want a real point guard who can slice down the lane, draw defenders and hit someone for the easy 2, like LaMelo or Morant or Trae or Lowry do

That's why I wanted Cooper so much, he's a point guard savant type guy, a la cp3
    Kira did have a nice pass to a cutting Collins for a layup. I would have liked Cooper in the 2nd as well as he just had unbelievable court vision.

I've been a half decent point guard in my time and I was good at these type of passes. But I still thought kicking it out to the open guy on the perimeter when you've barely driven inside the 3 point line was very rudimentary. Basically no brainers.

That's why I wanted Cooper so much, he's a point guard savant type guy, a la cp3
    It's hard to disagree with you at this point. In fact, except that Griff won't stand for it, Satoransky should be ahead of him io the depth chart once the season starts. To a lesser extent than JAX, he is another guy I classify as a 'Flash or Crash' player. He'll wow you with his highlight reel and disappoint you with everything else.

Naji just seems very capable and has the motor to go along with it. Will rarely be a negative on the court. That is incredibly valuable on a minimum contract.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Kira did have a nice pass to a cutting Collins for a layup. I would have liked Cooper in the 2nd as well as he just had unbelievable court vision.
    Said it before; I'll say it again. Don't sleep on Alvarado. Last year we knocked it out the park with Naji. This year we are poised to do it again with Alvarado.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Said it before; I'll say it again. Don't sleep on Alvarado. Last year we knocked it out the park with Naji. This year we are poised to do it again with Alvarado.
    I like what I have seen from him in SL. His hustle and defense is something this team could use. He is a pest and that is something I love from players like McConnell and Caruso.

I've liked him a lot, but who would he knock out of the rotation? Seems like a nice summer league guy at the most

And he's tiny unfortunately

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I agree with what Mac said. Alvarado will help by being a G-League culture guy. Let guys like Didi or whomever vascilate between us and them and let him keep their competitive edge high.

Kira has elite quickness and first step. He's just a deer in the headlights a lot once he's in the belly of the beast. Though I think he is improving in that respect

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I like what I have seen from him in SL. His hustle and defense is something this team could use. He is a pest and that is something I love from players like McConnell and Caruso.
    Key play from him in my view was game 1 when both he and Murphy were open for 3. He passed up his 3 for Murphy, who was clearly hot at that point and of course ended up making it.

Other players in that game were trying to make shots to try to make the roster. He made the smart, unselfish play.

The great pass first guards always look for a pass that puts the offense in a greater scoring positon.

CP, Nash, Stockton, Luka, Magic, LeBron

That's the direction I want to see Kira take

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Kira has elite quickness and first step. He's just a deer in the headlights a lot once he's in the belly of the beast. Though I think he is improving in that respect
    What he doesn't have can be taught, IMO. What he has (speed), cannot be.

For those that missed the Pels vs Thunder SL game...

His IQ is stellar. Just got to translate to BBIQ and the floor.

We just watched Kira go up against Tre Mann. We can't forget that Kira is actually younger than Mann. Obviously he's younger than Trey and the rest of the players on the Pels as well. He's still one of the youngest players in Summer League. I think he's well ahead of most 20 year old PGs at this time.

The great pass first guards always look for a pass that puts the offense in a greater scoring positon.

CP, Nash, Stockton, Luka, Magic, LeBron

That's the direction I want to see Kira take
    I too want to see Kira become a first ballot hall of famer

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    We just watched Kira go up against Tre Mann. We can't forget that Kira is actually younger than Mann. Obviously he's younger than Trey and the rest of the players on the Pels as well. He's still one of the youngest players in Summer League. I think he's well ahead of most 20 year old PGs at this time.
    It's not a matter of Kira against Mann; it's a matter of Kira v....

...Steph
    ...Dame
    ...Mike
    ...Ja
    ...Trae
    ...Fred
    ...CP3
    ...DeAaron

...and that's just a short list of PG's he'd face who are under 6'3.

That's why I have Satoransky ahead of him on the AISI Depth Chart.

I didn't know Trey started at Rice...wow, he's no dummy for sure.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

It's not a matter of Kira against Mann; it's a matter of Kira v....

...Steph
    ...Dame
    ...Mike
    ...Ja
    ...Trae
    ...Fred
    ...CP3
    ...DeAaron

...and that's just a short list of PG's he'd face who are under 6'3.

That's why I have Satoransky ahead of him on the AISI Depth Chart.
    Well he's not starting. I was just saying in the developmental stage of his of his career, he's ahead of the curve. Obviously he's not on any of those all stars levels yet

How much is running PG on a summer league team comparable to running 2nd or 3rd string QB in the preseason? I always feel like those guys get a raw deal because they are usually running for their lives and can't really show what they have.

I don't want to be too harsh on Kira with his position relying so much on the talent around him, but if it really isn't that big of a deal then that's another story.

Thread Information