Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 157 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 59 109 ... LastLast

Thread: Pels Off season thread

He is not saying Amick is stretching the truth. He is saying the people feeding Amick is because they have an agenda
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    He is not saying Amick is stretching the truth. He is saying the people feeding Amick is because they have an agenda
    Yes, I am aware.

Amick, like most reporters, is reporting what he's hearing. What he's hearing obviously comes from someone with a perspective. Everyone needs to take that into account reading news reports.

You're the one doing the whole ''oh, I guess Amick's not credible either!'' thing, so I just figured you might need reminding that Amick is beholden to the biases of his sources just as much as anyone else.
    Basketball.

So, is there internal fighting amongst the players? Shamit's tweets seem to indicate there are some players that just don't care about winning. Wasn't the whole focus of the last offseason about building accountability and culture? Was that a failure? Are we going to see an upheaval on the roster this offseason to attempt to fix the culture again?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Josh Hart has been quoted as saying the same thing about some of his teammates this year.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    So, is there internal fighting amongst the players? Shamit's tweets seem to indicate there are some players that just don't care about winning. Wasn't the whole focus of the last offseason about building accountability and culture? Was that a failure? Are we going to see an upheaval on the roster this offseason to attempt to fix the culture again?
    There’s a reason why the team’s defense somewhat improved once certain players were sidelined. Bledsoe being himself surely didn’t help matters either.

What I think happened (and keep in mind that I do not claim to have any insider info or sources) based on what we've heard is that Griff brings in SVG and Adams and such with the intention of, among other things, setting a cultural tone of grit and toughness and accountability. We heard how much he talked about defense in the offseason, how he thought Bledsoe/Lonzo was going to be an elite defensive guard tandem, and after this season ended he had ''toughness'' as his second priority after IQ in the exit interview stuff. So we know that's a priority.

We also know that SVG has run much harder and lengthier practices (whenever there's been time for practices, at least) and we also know that he's been far more verbal about player's shortcomings of effort and defense (something Gentry would often avoid doing) and has benched players or pulled players frequently for minor infractions - Bledsoe notwithstanding, which I imagine is itself something of a problematic thing among the players; how come Bledsoe has a seemingly infinite leash when other guys get benched? But I digress.

From this, it seems that there are certain members of the team and coaching staff who have really pushed hustle and effort and playing hard and hitting practice hard and emphasising that level of toughness and grit. Like DaFranchise said, Hart even mentioned this earlier in the season himself. Other players, and I don't think we need much discussion to figure out who some of those names might be, have spent large portions of the year coasting and seemingly resenting any attempt to get them to put in effort; in several cases, these are some of the highest paid players on the roster.

It would be far more surprising to me if that didn't cause at least a degree of resentment or frustration in the locker room between those two types of player. I can certainly imagine a lot of moves being made (or at least, attempted to be made) throughout this summer and frankly I think that's a good thing. We need change. Being a player who is bad is an issue, but one I can somewhat understand; being a player who just doesn't care is not something I can understand. If you don't want to play basketball for a living, go do something else.

What I think happened (and keep in mind that I do not claim to have any insider info or sources) based on what we've heard is that Griff brings in SVG and Adams and such with the intention of, among other things, setting a cultural tone of grit and toughness and accountability. We heard how much he talked about defense in the offseason, how he thought Bledsoe/Lonzo was going to be an elite defensive guard tandem, and after this season ended he had ''toughness'' as his second priority after IQ in the exit interview stuff. So we know that's a priority.

We also know that SVG has run much harder and lengthier practices (whenever there's been time for practices, at least) and we also know that he's been far more verbal about player's shortcomings of effort and defense (something Gentry would often avoid doing) and has benched players or pulled players frequently for minor infractions - Bledsoe notwithstanding, which I imagine is itself something of a problematic thing among the players; how come Bledsoe has a seemingly infinite leash when other guys get benched? But I digress.

From this, it seems that there are certain members of the team and coaching staff who have really pushed hustle and effort and playing hard and hitting practice hard and emphasising that level of toughness and grit. Like DaFranchise said, Hart even mentioned this earlier in the season himself. Other players, and I don't think we need much discussion to figure out who some of those names might be, have spent large portions of the year coasting and seemingly resenting any attempt to get them to put in effort; in several cases, these are some of the highest paid players on the roster.

It would be far more surprising to me if that didn't cause at least a degree of resentment or frustration in the locker room between those two types of player. I can certainly imagine a lot of moves being made (or at least, attempted to be made) throughout this summer and frankly I think that's a good thing. We need change. Being a player who is bad is an issue, but one I can somewhat understand; being a player who just doesn't care is not something I can understand. If you don't want to play basketball for a living, go do something else.
    Appears you may be pointing to Ingram. Given that he and Zion appear to have a good relationship and he was studying film with the coaches and Zion, it would be odd that he was a player Zion was upset about. Zion also seems to like Ball, so not sure he would complain about him. Would not be concerned about Adams' hustle but certainly would understand being upset about Bledsoe. Or, is the issue that Zion does not want to be held to that level on defense (thereby him being discontent with SVG)?

Appears you may be pointing to Ingram. Given that he and Zion appear to have a good relationship and he was studying film with the coaches and Zion, it would be odd that he was a player Zion was upset about. Zion also seems to like Ball, so not sure he would complain about him. Would not be concerned about Adams' hustle but certainly would understand being upset about Bledsoe. Or, is the issue that Zion does not want to be held to that level on defense (thereby him being discontent with SVG)?
    I was mostly referring to Bledsoe actually, who was the 3rd highest paid player on the team this year and the clear candidate for the one who put in the least effort basically everywhere this season.

I have been through this before. I was told by a very high up source that AD was only about 50/50 to sign his rookie extension that February. Cut to a few months later and he signs the first.minute possible after a hot stretch and a.playoff appearance

These are fickle kids with people around them always pushing an agenda on them. There is no reason to panic but the people saying there is nothing there have their head in the sand

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Da hell? I go to lunch and all this drops?

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    There’s a reason why the team’s defense somewhat improved once certain players were sidelined. Bledsoe being himself surely didn’t help matters either.
    to my eyes the defense was better when 4 of the 5 starters were sidelined....hell,,ball movement,,defense and players having fun were what my eyes saw when 4 of the 5 starters were sidelined....

bledsoe started playing better also the last 10 games or so lol...

i take it as the bench players were hungry,,know their roles,,some playing for contracts,,and it was no star players on the court to force the ball to so everyone played team ball and it looked good for about 8 out of 10 games imo......so it was easy for the second and third team to listen to the coach because it was no big egos on the court lol........so if the star players are tuning the coach out then what gives?...

Basketball Guru
    i think we all can agree on this...if zion step dad wants him to be in a big market then we all should know zion will go to a big market.......his step dad is the key...he is the reason why zion dont defend himself and go off against the refs for the non calls.....

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    i think we all can agree on this...if zion step dad wants him to be in a big market then we all should know zion will go to a big market.......his step dad is the key...he is the reason why zion dont defend himself and go off against the refs for the non calls.....
    Has NOTHING to do with market. They actually prefer a smaller one, non coastal. Absolutely nothing to do with the market.

I just wish we could go through a period in this organization’s existence without some family member having a huge say in a player’s career. I sincerely hope Zion’s step dad isn’t like the previous ones.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    I just wish we could go through a period in this organization’s existence without some family member having a huge say in a player’s career. I sincerely hope Zion’s step dad isn’t like the previous ones.
    It happens to every team, in every organization. Some you just hear about more than others. Murray's dad wasnt happy with Denver for a while, for instance.

The cure all is winning. Same exact things happening, but team is winning and everyone is happy. Why Griff is gonna be aggressive this summer and the answer is not a 19 yr old draft pick

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Da hell? I go to lunch and all this drops?
    Didnt just drop. Told you all this weeks/months ago. Went through it on my pod. Some are just choosing to listen now. Has been an issue for months, dating back to the offseason when Zion and his team did not speak to our FO during the entire break. Not once.

Basketball Guru
    Has NOTHING to do with market. They actually prefer a smaller one, non coastal. Absolutely nothing to do with the market.
    i wanted to say winning but i remember seeing his face on draft night and went with market.....ok i get that you are correcting me.....but you said they, so are you also telling us that his parents are making all his moves?....if so,,if the pels dont make the playoffs 22/23 season then what would you say the temperature will be with the parents?...

i wanted to say winning but i remember seeing his face on draft night and went with market.....ok i get that you are correcting me.....but you said they, so are you also telling us that his parents are making all his moves?....if so,,if the pels dont make the playoffs 22/23 season then what would you say the temperature will be with the parents?...
    Winning cures all. Right now, his parents think they know the best for Zion with everything from training to diet to how he should play and who he should play with. And when the team loses, they say "See....if they just listened to us, our son wouldnt be wasted!"

But when you win, everything is fixed. People stop pointing fingers at who is at fault. So, Griff's job now is to go build the right team to help Zion win and sweep all the past stuff under the rug

Basketball Guru
    Winning cures all. Right now, his parents think they know the best for Zion with everything from training to diet to how he should play and who he should play with. And when the team loses, they say "See....if they just listened to us, our son wouldnt be wasted!"

But when you win, everything is fixed. People stop pointing fingers at who is at fault. So, Griff's job now is to go build the right team to help Zion win and sweep all the past stuff under the rug
    everything you just said....if you were the GM how would you handle the zion thing starting this off season knowing it may be a problem down the line...

everything you just said....if you were the GM how would you handle the zion thing starting this off season knowing it may be a problem down the line...
    I wouldnt do anything different, personally. But its probably because I dont believe in this 'Zion generational' stuff. I build as if I have a long runway and if Zion is so great, he should be able to carry us. And even if he does want to leave, I trade him for a ton - not picks again, quality players like a better Carmelo to the Knicks trade.

I am not catering to some kid and their parents. If I like a vet better than I like who is available to me at #9, then I trade it but not because of Zion. I do whatever I would do if Zion and his parents were happy.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Didnt just drop. Told you all this weeks/months ago. Went through it on my pod. Some are just choosing to listen now. Has been an issue for months, dating back to the offseason when Zion and his team did not speak to our FO during the entire break. Not once.
    Yeah. I originally thought this was something about Ingram.

Hmmmm... I think I'm just get into some tabletop gaming this offseason till the draft. Just got Sleeping Gods and the expansions. I'm pretty excited to check it out. Never done a narrative board game before... notwithstanding just straight up D&D.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Hmmmm... I think I'm just get into some tabletop gaming this offseason till the draft. Just got Sleeping Gods and the expansions. I'm pretty excited to check it out. Never done a narrative board game before... notwithstanding just straight up D&D.
    It's great honestly, I've never done any of the niche games or anything but I've always had fun with Call of Cthulhu and heavily homebrewed versions of D&D.

It's great honestly, I've never done any of the niche games or anything but I've always had fun with Call of Cthulhu and heavily homebrewed versions of D&D.
    Yep, the YouTube algorithm dumped me to this video and I was completely sold. Pretty entertaining. Review actually starts at the 40 minute mark.

Thread Information