Pelicans Report

Page 118 of 157 FirstFirst ... 18 68 108 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 128 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 3922

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by Peliwins View Post
    https://twitter.com/FearTheBrown/sta...906142720?s=20

Not sure if Shamit is right, but the question was if the moves aren't completed tomorrow would it reduce the cap available
    Sure, we dont have to do the trades tomorrow but you gotta get the other teams to be okay with that because Memphis rookies cant join them until that trade is official and I am sure they want them for Summer League.

Pels shouldnt need extra time to get stuff done. They've had days and not a ton of moving parts happening any more around the league. This isnt like when the Lakers were waiting on Kawhi and we had to wait a few days
    @mcnamara247

NBA Analysis Network
    @HoopAnalysisNet
    Marc Stein (@TheSteinLine
    ) on Kelly Oubre:

“I haven’t heard much of anything. The #Pelicans are a team that could make a move but I haven’t heard anything. Oubre was expecting $15 million.” Flushed face #NBA

Both Willie and Collins have coached him. Griff likes him for some reason. So, its possible. I just cant for the life of me see how he helps. That said, if he comes on a 1+1, I will take him as a salary to trade

Everyone left is linked to the Pels.

Pels Off season thread

It just feels like the expanded trade would have happened by now. The only thing I could see holding up is contract negotiations for those being signed and traded. But. They have had since Monday (legally) to figure that out. All in all I am extremely discouraged. If they do not figure this out I may have a fit of rage.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Sure, we dont have to do the trades tomorrow but you gotta get the other teams to be okay with that because Memphis rookies cant join them until that trade is official and I am sure they want them for Summer League.

Pels shouldnt need extra time to get stuff done. They've had days and not a ton of moving parts happening any more around the league. This isnt like when the Lakers were waiting on Kawhi and we had to wait a few days
    What are the sources saying right now? Stagnant? Langdon and Griffin on Airline playing paper football like Tony Stark and Nebula in end game?

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Why in the hell aren't WE interested in Markkanen? He would provide awesome spacing. Dude is 7 foot and shot 40 percent from 3 last year. Wtf,...

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    Why in the hell aren't WE interested in Markkanen? He would provide awesome spacing. Dude is 7 foot and shot 40 percent from 3 last year. Wtf,...
    And that?s about all he does. Also can?t stay healthy. At least with someone like Buddy Hield that offers offense only you get the benefit of him being an iron man.

Cause he's bad at basketball as an overall sport. Does one thing, cannot do anything else at a reasonable level. Most disastrous defensive 7 footer since... ever? Maybe? Low feel, can't really pass particularly well, etc.

Just not very good at all. Bulls fans are rejoicing that he might be on the way out.
    Basketball.

I wonder what's going on? So quiet.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Cause he's bad at basketball as an overall sport. Does one thing, cannot do anything else at a reasonable level. Most disastrous defensive 7 footer since... ever? Maybe? Low feel, can't really pass particularly well, etc.

Just not very good at all. Bulls fans are rejoicing that he might be on the way out.
    I admittedly have not watched any tape on the guy, but it seems like defense is teachable more than offense. Is he not fixable?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Ok, so if nothing is going on and we can’t make anything work, can we create more cap space than the MLE? If we put the trades through and let Hart walk, would we be more than $10 million under the cap in order to trump any Clipper offer to Reggie Jackson? Obviously, we wouldn’t have to do it until we knew he was willing to accept. And no it’s not the best outcome as compared to the trades and picks and full MLE we could have in theory used. But getting Jackson would still make this a pretty interesting team in the end.

Graham and Val may end up being very good pickups, but part of me thinks we could have waited one more year before putting our chips on the table. As someone said earlier, dealing two picks away when we maybe could have bit the bullet for one more year is a gamble. Obviously Griffin is worried about his job, but you have to worry when your management is desperate. I?ll remain optimistic as I do like Val and Graham

I mean.. if they sit pat and have another disaster of a season, they won't be here anymore.

They say Reggie Jackson practicing w/ the Clips as if he's still going to be on the team so he may not be available anymore.
    We may want to just offer Kelly Oubre the MLE and he can come off the bench for BI and Naji plays power forward, coming off the bench for Zion.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    It’s time we bow our heads and close our eyes.

Brother Mac, will you lead us in prayer for the Pelicans franchise. It has been a long enduring suffering and we desperately need to be ridden of this evil..

I admittedly have not watched any tape on the guy, but it seems like defense is teachable more than offense. Is he not fixable?
    I actually think generally speaking, the reverse is true. It's fairly easy (relatively speaking, none of this is actually easy) for someone to learn a few pre-set passing reads, or to work on a jump shot. The number of players who go from absolute shambles on defense to being actually good is extremely small.

My biggest concern with someone like Markkanen is the feel aspect. He just looks awkward and lost large portions of the time, and unfortunately feel just isn't particularly teachable. Players who just don't get it don't often figure it out, especially at the age of 24. Like, 24 isn't old by any means and you can learn individual skills still, but how many people go from just flat out clueless to reading the game well at that stage of their life?

It just seems like too much of a long-shot gamble for me to want to invest any time in.

Schopenhauer once said that buying books would be a good thing if one could also buy the time in which to read them. It's a similar thing here: acquiring Markkanen might be a good idea if acquiring him also meant acquiring all of the time and resources that he would need to grow, but it doesn't.

I'm all for preserving flexibility. But trading away 2 FRP, being debatably not even improved over last years team, and giving Garrett Temple a bound to be deadweight contract isnt too far from the nightmare scenario.

I'm really getting Demps flashbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    It?s time we bow our heads and close our eyes.

Brother Mac, will you lead us in prayer for the Pelicans franchise. It has been a long enduring suffering and we desperately need to be ridden of this evil..
    The poor results will never end. But suffering is tied to expectations - which you have the power to control. Drastically lower them, and watch how quickly the suffering disappears

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Garrison Mathews would make me happy at this point.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    I'm all for preserving flexibility. But trading away 2 FRP, being debatably not even improved over last years team, and giving Garrett Temple a bound to be deadweight contract isnt too far from the nightmare scenario.

I'm really getting Demps flashbacks.
    I want to see more happen too, but to say we aren't improved over last season seems ridiculous to me. NAW clearly looked better than Bled and gets his minutes. Jonas clearly better than Adams. Graham looks at worst a lateral move vs. 2020-21 Lonzo. No washed up Redick to deal with. Young guys a year older, Murphy can shoot, we go into knowing what we have in Naji from the start. Our 3pt defense can't be worse than last year- I just can't imagine it! Health permitting, I have us as a 7 seed without much problem.
    Last edited by donato; 08-05-2021 at 06:46 PM.

The poor results will never end. But suffering is tied to expectations - which you have the power to control. Drastically lower them, and watch how quickly the suffering disappears
    I'm all about low expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    I want to see more happen too, but to say we aren't improved over last season seems ridiculous to me. NAW clearly looked better than Bled and gets his minutes. Jonas clearly better than Adams. Graham looks at worst a lateral move vs. 2020-21 Lonzo. Young guys a year older, Murphy can shoot, we go into knowing what we have in Naji from the start. Our 3pt defense can't be worse than last year. I just can't imagine it! Health permitting, I have us as a 7 seed without much problem.
    ARE improved and COULD BE improved are two different things.

Jonas is an improvement over Adams. You can say that with confidence because of long track records but you have zero ability to accurately project NAW, Kira, the rookies, Naji, Didi, etc. No idea whether Zion's healthy year will be the norm or his injured year. Will Ingram take a step up or has he hit his ceiling?

You can guess at all these things, and fans will always lean to the positive side. But there is no objective data that says we will know what half our roster will be. Really only one guy on the team who we KNOW what he will be next year. Everyone else has a pretty wide range of outcomes

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    ARE improved and COULD BE improved are two different things.

Jonas is an improvement over Adams. You can say that with confidence because of long track records but you have zero ability to accurately project NAW, Kira, the rookies, Naji, Didi, etc. No idea whether Zion's healthy year will be the norm or his injured year. Will Ingram take a step up or has he hit his ceiling?

You can guess at all these things, and fans will always lean to the positive side. But there is no objective data that says we will know what half our roster will be. Really only one guy on the team who we KNOW what he will be next year. Everyone else has a pretty wide range of outcomes
    I did say health permitting. And you are right. If I had to word it again, I'd say should be improved. And I say that confidently knowing what we know as opposed to could be improved. I also meant it in the context of knowing what we know today and basically rolling with that. True also re: fan/optimist perspective.
    Last edited by donato; 08-05-2021 at 06:58 PM.

Yeah...I mean are you assuming improvement from the 100 or so other 2nd and 3rd year guys in the league?

Admittedly it is possible they all (or most) improve
    But i can also see a very real world where this collection of guys wins 30-32 games. Nobody is really trying to lose any more besides maybe OKC and Houston. Maybe Orlando
    Every night you are playing a team with a roster arguably as good or better

Thread Information