Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: May 9th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Charlotte Hornets - 30-37

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Why is that? You have no specific knowledge that it's made up. That's just an assumption on your part. You have no specific knowledge that there is no source. That's another assumption. And you have no specific knowledge the information is "bull." That's just another assertion.

I don't feel free at all to come here and make stuff up about anything with no source whatsoever. And you have no reason to assert that I do. Like, none. It's just your assertion. Why would anyone bother to do that? What would be the point?

It seems like what you're trying to say is if you don't know the source of the information, you just assume it's untrue and concocted. That's an odd position to take on an internet message board, which is not a hard news site or the paper of record. Publishing hard news is a different operation with different standards, as it should be. Even there just because you can' t confirm information or get independent verification doesn't mean the information is not true or made up. It means it just doesn't meet the standards for publication. I promise you reporters swap unverified information all the time that often leads to hard news. If you want, just consider this board information swapping, which is pretty much all it is.

If someone is posting all kinds of outlandish allegations or claiming super-exclusive inside information--like the Coach Pete guy did (I recall, for example, that "coach pete" claimed to know--for a fact--that the refs were paid to fix the Saints NFC championship game with the Rams), then, yes, question their sources. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. But when people are just passing on second-hand info from someone they know with access, why accuse them of fabrication? That's kind of crazy.
    Please continue to post man. We appreciate all posters and perspectives.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    They don't? So that whole "Coach Pete" saga I'm just making up out of thin air?

As far as proof I want..how about anything at all? Did anyone learn in school to cite your sources?

And if you're free to just come here and make stuff up about anything with no source whatsoever, then I'm also free to call it the bull that it is.
    First of all, the Coach Pete thing had absolutely nothing to do with not disclosing sources or citing proof. That went on for years. It became an issue when it became a fighting/personal issue between some posters and some very detailed personal jabs taken.

How many reporters cite their "sources?" Almost none ever say who the source is. Take it for what it is worth and choose what to believe or not believe.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It's times like this I wish I took my sports journalism phase way more seriously back in college and when I picked my radio internship. I'd kill to get insider info. Have to be selective about what I can disseminate and never give up my sources.

And then I remember that Oh right. My articles post games would be "Jesus. Zion moves like two neutron stars colliding. Space itself folds and then the ball goes into the basket. And Ingram was there already spaghettified. Except that's just how he always looks."

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    It's times like this I wish I took my sports journalism phase way more seriously back in college and when I picked my radio internship. I'd kill to get insider info. Have to be selective about what I can disseminate and never give up my sources.

And then I remember that Oh right. My articles post games would be "Jesus. Zion moves like two neutron stars colliding. Space itself folds and then the ball goes into the basket. And Ingram was there already spaghettified. Except that's just how he always looks."
    It might be one of the 5 worst jobs on the planet, all things considered. On top of that, once you knew the guys and it became a job, you would be much less of a fan and simply wouldnt care who they liked and hoped fell to 35th in the draft.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    It might be one of the 5 worst jobs on the planet, all things considered. On top of that, once you knew the guys and it became a job, you would be much less of a fan and simply wouldnt care who they liked and hoped fell to 35th in the draft.
    Fake news?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

Why is that? You have no specific knowledge that it's made up. That's just an assumption on your part. You have no specific knowledge that there is no source. That's another assumption. And you have no specific knowledge the information is "bull." That's just another assertion.
    This is pretty specious logic.

If you don't provide a source when you first say these things, then can't provide a source when someone doubts it's veracity, then it's just a basic math problem at that point.

It's like saying someone just "assumes" 1+1=2.

This isn't that hard. If you make some claim about a player, their family, the team, or the front office. Bring your source or it's pretty safe to assume you have none.

If you can't state your source, then that's your problem. Not mine. I'm free to call it "bull" all day long and will be completely logical to do so. Maybe some of you are still in high school but I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    First of all, the Coach Pete thing had absolutely nothing to do with not disclosing sources or citing proof. That went on for years. It became an issue when it became a fighting/personal issue between some posters and some very detailed personal jabs taken.

How many reporters cite their "sources?" Almost none ever say who the source is. Take it for what it is worth and choose what to believe or not believe.
    It has everything to do with those threads being deleted and the "source" of those threads having to take a vacation from posting there.

Okay, it has officially changed. From now on, all posters please attach a sources page, MLA format preferred, or your post will be removed. Happy now "luckyman"?

This is pretty specious logic.

If you don't provide a source when you first say these things, then can't provide a source when someone doubts it's veracity, then it's just a basic math problem at that point.

It's like saying someone just "assumes" 1+1=2.

This isn't that hard. If you make some claim about a player, their family, the team, or the front office. Bring your source or it's pretty safe to assume you have none.

If you can't state your source, then that's your problem. Not mine. I'm free to call it "bull" all day long and will be completely logical to do so. Maybe some of you are still in high school but I'm not.
    I'm using specious logic? You are employing one of the most basic logical fallacies there is: The False Dilemma. Either "X" is true or "Y" is true. One or the other. Here you claim that either I name my source or there is no source like those are the only two possibilities, a mathematical certainty (!). But of course any rational person would concede there are multiple other possibilities, including the correct one in this case, that there is a source and I choose not to publicly name that source. Trying to box someone's argument by framing it as an "either/or" proposition is really high school...

I'm using specious logic? You are employing one of the most basic logical fallacies there is: The False Dilemma. Either "X" is true or "Y" is true. One or the other. Here you claim that either I name my source or there is no source like those are the only two possibilities, a mathematical certainty (!). But of course any rational person would concede there are multiple other possibilities, including the correct one in this case, that there is a source and I choose not to publicly name that source. Trying to box someone's argument by framing it as an "either/or" proposition is really high school...
    It is so clear when you have an intelligent poster debating a petulant kid. Wish there were more like you on message boards, New City

It is so clear when you have an intelligent poster debating a petulant kid. Wish there were more like you on message boards, New City
    Amen

Thanks much, gents. But I think at this point we all know how this ends: with me (and maybe you) being very sorry to have been lured into an endless, pointless, time-sucking debate on an entirely inconsequential matter. You'd think I'd know better by now...

Its hard to say nothing when somebody attacks you - regardless of how poor that persons argument or IQ is. I totally get it and sympathize.

Its hard to say nothing when somebody attacks you - regardless of how poor that persons argument or IQ is. I totally get it and sympathize.
    M.M. Keep on doing what you do even if I disagree with you. You keep the forum interesting. Good work with the Zion info.

Maybe we should ask JJ Reddick for his opinion on Griffin?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Maybe we should ask JJ Reddick for his opinion on Griffin?
    Why bother when we have you?

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Why bother when we have you?
    Keep Griff. Move Stanley

And just to back up what I said about Saintsreport and what went on there with an actual...source. This is a post from the SR website owner, Andrus, about why they made the "Coach Pete" poster take a ban vacation when they kept posting obviously false rumors. It had everything to do with the constant rumorville posts...as I stated.

Then again, that site is properly moderated. This one isn't...which is highly unfortunate.

I am not one to post rumors. I have received information over the years because I keep it to myself. I said that to say this... It isn't easy reading Swimmer's rumor posts when I know there is little, if any truth to them. When they were harmless, we let them go for the entertainment that his following seemed to get from them. When they pushed the envelope we checked him on them. This one isn't at all harmless. I knew this one was nonsense as soon as I read it, even before I contacted my source. Yet, I wanted to be certain.

I know some of you are fed up with him... some of the staff has been fed up with Swimmer for the longest time. I have finally had my fill... and then some.
    Post #91

https://saintsreport.com/threads/upd...6#post-8200448
    Last edited by luckyman; 05-11-2021 at 09:30 PM.

Minn really big stupid to only top 3 protect their pick.

And just to back up what I said about Saintsreport and what went on there with an actual...source. This is a post from the SR website owner, Andrus, about why they made the "Coach Pete" poster take a ban vacation when they kept posting obviously false rumors. It had everything to do with the constant rumorville posts...as I stated.

Then again, that site is properly moderated. This one isn't...which is highly unfortunate.

Post #91

I knew it would be a Swimmer thread lol

Post #91

The decision was based on info Andrus had that he was very confident in. It became a personal issue with the fighting that was going on which is what eventually led to the removal. There have been several rumors that were thought to be false over the many years but they did not cause the issues that thread did. Andrus does not routinely remove rumor discussions. Again, if you do not chose to believe a "rumor" that is your prerogative. No one is going to post sources or give you proof to ensure you chose to believe. This is a discussion board, not a fact checker.

The decision was based on info Andrus had that he was very confident in. It became a personal issue with the fighting that was going on which is what eventually led to the removal. There have been several rumors that were thought to be false over the many years but they did not cause the issues that thread did. Andrus does not routinely remove rumor discussions. Again, if you do not chose to believe a "rumor" that is your prerogative. No one is going to post sources or give you proof to ensure you chose to believe. This is a discussion board, not a fact checker.
    I gave you the specific quote direct from the horse's mouth that they have been dealing with this guy due to the constant rumors he was spreading. He specifically said they've had to check him on THAT issue. They didn't ban him because of the infighting. They did it because it was one too many rumors and enough was enough. The exact quote explaining the entire true context is right there. He said that.

This whole thing here started because someone said we've GOT to make the playoffs next year or Zion is gone. Then village idiot basketball sage of d-bags chimed in and another person that had nothing to do with the original conversation had to piggy back. They are now spreading rumors that Zion's parents are not getting along with Griff because of the way he handled Zion's minutes and injury LAST year? Which makes NO SENSE. What parents would get angry because some adult was extremely careful with their son's injury? Who does that? If that's not the issue, then what is it and where are you getting this from?

Zion addressed this in multiple interviews. Are we to believe he's just being duplicitous? These dumb rumors are just an attack on these people's character at this point. From nameless, faceless, random people on the internet who have established no credibility whatsoever.

A discussion board is indeed a fact checker. That's what happens in discussions. And no, you do not have to give even the most miniscule sources of your rumor mill. But that also means these "sauces" are fair game to be called the BS that it is. What are you getting mad at that for?
    Last edited by luckyman; 05-12-2021 at 10:55 AM.

Dude - you have the right to not believe people or even call them liars if you choose, and others have the right to pass on the things they have heard. I dont know why you cant grasp this very simple concept. Nobody is saying that what is said here has to be believed as gospel, but your point seems to be that if someone cant prove something with multiple verified sources then they should say nothing and we should take players or coaches or GMs word for things - BECAUSE THEY NEVER LIE!!!

Your argument is in a word...terrible. It draws upon numerous fallacies and is backed as an absolute good based on this one experience you keep whining about. Dude - if that is your bar for accepting things, then good for you. But your idea that the board will follow you on this is beyond naive. Notice how literally nobody is agreeing with your poor arguments and/or desired burden of proof?

Also, have you bothered to reach out to the reporters that you do trust to fact check? You are so determined to only know and say truth, right??

Because they all know this stuff too.

Thread Information