Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Honestly, how is it to live in New Orleans? Good and bad.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Thomas Wolfe said, "You Can't Go Home Again".
    "You can't go back home to your family, back home to your childhood ... back home to a young man's dreams of glory and of fame ... back home to places in the country, back home to the old forms and systems of things which once seemed everlasting but which are changing all the time...back home to the escapes of Time and Memory."

Just speaking to the nightlife I would say growing up in NOLA as a teen and 20 something it's great for your average to below average earner because you can do so much for free. But there's no super up scale life style so if you have big money and want to feel like it every time you're out NOLA didn't really provide that comfort at least not when I was there. The clubs (especially the ones of the strip varieties) weren't super walled off with velvet ropes.

I think the better question is "Compared to where?"

I was born and raised in Louisiana, but there's no way in hell I would ever move back. I've seen too much of the rest of the world.

1) New Orleans is not Louisiana.
    2) Having grown up in New Orleans until 3 years ago, I never thought I could miss a place as much as one would a family member, but here I am.
    3) New Orleans will give you what you give it.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    1) New Orleans is not Louisiana.
    Oh, I see. We are gatekeeping now.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    Oh, I see. We are gatekeeping now.
    Are they gatekeeping or just referencing that the largest cities in a given area, particularly ones which are high tourism, are not usually very representative of the rest of the place?

Like, London is cool but most of England is nothing like that. Paris is nothing like most of France.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Are they gatekeeping or just referencing that the largest cities in a given area, particularly ones which are high tourism, are not usually very representative of the rest of the place?

Like, London is cool but most of England is nothing like that. Paris is nothing like most of France.
    I was half kidding. I never lived in New Orleans proper, so my opinion is not valid anyway.

My original followup question was never answered. I asked "As opposed to where?"

Not many people are going to pick New Orleans to live in if they have other options. It's just the honest truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

True, but London and Paris are two of the biggest cities in Europe

New Orleans isn’t Louisiana in that it isn’t. From how people in New Orleans behave, to our politics, to music, it’s a 180 from the rest of the state, hell it’s about a 75 degree difference from the canal that separates New Orleans from Metairie (only 20 ft apart). Hell, you could say the Lower 9th is different from New Orleans, and the Lower 9th is New Orleans. What I’m saying is that as much hell as folks around the state want to give the city of New Orleans, with all the taking from the city to fund the rest of the state’s poor projects, to giving the cities representatives but a sip from the bird bath in BR, etc. y’all can have it. New Orleans will be fine without the your mayonnaise heavy potato salad. We have our own flavor down, here and we are fine by ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    I think the better question is "Compared to where?"

I was born and raised in Louisiana, but there's no way in hell I would ever move back. I've seen too much of the rest of the world.
    This.

I find folks who were not born and raised in New Orleans love it more than folks who were born and raised.

And I can't speak for anyone else, but whenever I go down home, it feels like family and friends are still living in 2009 for some reason. Like I just don't feel growth and not in some lame "I'm a adult" way, but from a way viewing progressive thoughts vs old school traditional ones. Examples like views on gender roles, LGBT, science, education, etc.

I find the more progressive folks are more so from people who moved to new Orleans rather than growing up there.

But like someone mentioned it may just be my circle haha.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Thread Information