Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Didi Joins the Pelicans

Breaking News Didi Joins the Pelicans

The time has come

Bringing in the big guns, it seems!

From the article:

Louzada played two seasons with the Kings, averaging 8.7 points, 3.2 rebounds and 1.8 assists per game over the course of his 2021 NBL campaign, shooting 38.9 percent from the field and 26.4 percent from the 3-point line.
    Over his two years in Sydney, Louzada added nearly 40 pounds to his frame and was widely regarded as one of the NBL's most reliable perimeter defenders.
    Basketball.

Hall of Famer
    Multi year

Is he good?

We pulling out the tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Multi year

Is he good?
    Uh

He's okay

Exceptionally streaky as a shooter - some games he just nails everything but usually isn't very reliable - but is a pretty solid defender on the wing. If all he's asked to do is defend and take spot ups he'll probably be fine.

Start his multi year deal with 16 games left in the season? Bruh I'm done with this front office.

26.4% from three? That doesn’t sound encouraging at all

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    26.4% from three? That doesn’t sound encouraging at all
    If I remember rightly he was playing through injury a fair bit this season - which is an interesting question: is he fully healthy now, or are we bringing him in while still hobbled? People who are more on top of the NBL may be able to answer that.

He was 37.1% from 3 last year which is obviously much better, though I do think that slightly over-states how good he was on a game-to-game basis. The reality for him right now is probably somewhere between those two numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Uh

He's okay

Exceptionally streaky as a shooter - some games he just nails everything but usually isn't very reliable - but is a pretty solid defender on the wing. If all he's asked to do is defend and take spot ups he'll probably be fine.
    Hey, this is huge!!! Just being "okay" (and having a brain) is a massive improvement in the Pelicans backcourt.

Does this mean the end of Eric Bledsoe? Our front office finally gets it now?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Does this mean the end of Eric Bledsoe? Our front office finally gets it now?
    Very unlikely that bringing in a rookie wing ''stopper'' prospect means the end of a Point Guard on a guard depleted roster.

This team is a Will Barton/Joe Ingles away from winning these games.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Very unlikely that bringing in a rookie wing ''stopper'' prospect means the end of a Point Guard on a guard depleted roster.
    I just hope Naji stays

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    I just hope Naji stays
    We all do, but if he wants to get paid in the words of the anti-Brigham Young “this ain’t the place.”

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    This team is a Will Barton/Joe Ingles away from winning these games.
    Agree

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Oh yeah. He does exist.

This is a desperation move. At least it was something we owned the rights to and not a knee jerk trade

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    This is a desperation move. At least it was something we owned the rights to and not a knee jerk trade
    I don't think it's a desperation move. We need 14 guys on the team to meet the roster floor and it's better to bring him over and get him in the system ready for next year than to keep cycling through 10 days. I don't think having Isaiah Thomas or Nunnally or whatever soaking up end-bench minutes is more helpful than having Didi getting some time with the coaching staff and getting used to the team. Didi will probably hardly play a minute, but it works.

I don't think it's a desperation move. We need 14 guys on the team to meet the roster floor and it's better to bring him over and get him in the system ready for next year than to keep cycling through 10 days. I don't think having Isaiah Thomas or Nunnally or whatever soaking up end-bench minutes is more helpful than having Didi getting some time with the coaching staff and getting used to the team. Didi will probably hardly play a minute, but it works.
    I don’t think we wanted to bring him in nearly this early to be honest. You want to leave these guys overseas as long as possible- not only so they gain experience, but they can enter a rookie contract when the team is actually decent.

I don’t think we wanted to bring him in nearly this early to be honest. You want to leave these guys overseas as long as possible- not only so they gain experience, but they can enter a rookie contract when the team is actually decent.
    Since Louzada is a draft pick of the Pelicans, his tax hit for this year would count as zero years of service, which is important for a team trying to stay under the luxury tax this season.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Since Louzada is a draft pick of the Pelicans, his tax hit for this year would count as zero years of service, which is important for a team trying to stay under the luxury tax this season.
    It makes me wonder who we are keeping. The more people we bring into the fold, I can’t see us re-signing Lonzo. I can see us letting Hart go too (though I suspect we re-sign him). Wouldn’t hurt us if Didi actually showed something.

Maybe not but you have to acquire someone because we have to meet the roster minimum.

So do you bring in a guy you already have, who basically doesn't incur any tax hit either, and kind of jump start his time with the team (knowing that you have 4 years with him anyway if you want because rookie, and because he was a second round guy it's basically free in terms of serious NBA money so it's not like it's costing you much) or do you keep doing random ten day signings which have absolutely no real upside?

I wouldn't be mad if they did the 10 day thing but honestly, why not just do this now and give him the time to adjust? If he doesn't pan out next year, it's hardly the end of the world.

It makes me wonder who we are keeping. The more people we bring into the fold, I can’t see us re-signing Lonzo. I can see us letting Hart go too (though I suspect we re-sign him). Wouldn’t hurt us if Didi actually showed something.
    I'm hoping we convert Naji at the end of the year. We have until the last day of the season to do it, so its easy to see why they're putting it off to avoid any real cap damage now, but I think he's shown enough to be worth a budget swing at things.

The Franchise
    I hope this is a sign of playing younger guys. Let’s see what we got and who’ll be here next year.

Maybe not but you have to acquire someone because we have to meet the roster minimum.

So do you bring in a guy you already have, who basically doesn't incur any tax hit either, and kind of jump start his time with the team (knowing that you have 4 years with him anyway if you want because rookie, and because he was a second round guy it's basically free in terms of serious NBA money so it's not like it's costing you much) or do you keep doing random ten day signings which have absolutely no real upside?

I wouldn't be mad if they did the 10 day thing but honestly, why not just do this now and give him the time to adjust? If he doesn't pan out next year, it's hardly the end of the world.
    Yeah. It will be what it will be. I hope he is a baller. Would have been nice to stash him a little longer, but I can understand that we are seeking cheap options to try and make us at least a semi decent basketball club. Hopefully Didi brings that 3 and D that we are sorely lacking.

The Franchise
    With Didi we have our developmental SG and Marshall or SF. With all those seconds let’s get some stretch 4 and 5’s maybe even a developmental PG.

Thread Information