Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: JJ Reddick blast Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    FWIW, I checked with my buddy who does some business with members of the brass out on Airline (not Griffin) and he said this is pretty big topic of conversation out there (I thought it might just be biz as usual). The basic feedback was Griffin has a rep of kind telling people what they want to hear, maybe with the expectation that he can make it happen later. On this deal apparently strong expectation that some kind of deal could get done with one of JJ's preferreds but nothing materialized. Only twist was maybe the Pels thought JJ or his agent were a little free with saying he had a buy out in place and that killed potential offers, so organization (Griff) felt somewhat justified to take what he could get from Mavs. Not much, but thought I'd pass it along.
    You know that thought kind of crossed my mind when things went down the way they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Listened to his trade explanation pod again and one thing stood out to me.. he said he didn't feel like this was an isolated incident. Hmm.

J
    JJ was basically saying Griff had done this to others. He said he wasready to go when Jrue left. Does he know how that went down and he was unhappy with it? No idea. Anyone know of any other deals Griff has upset players with?

I don't think JJ was lying in his version of events but perhaps we don't have all the details. What if Griff offered the buyout but at a much reduced salary, he said no, and so Griff traded him. JJ didn't say he made any attempts to give back to the Pels to expedite the process of him going and as many have pointed out he played horribly for us to boot. I'm certain a lot of players are missing their families, etc, JJ even said himself he was expecting better treatment as a 15 year vet, but he could have stayed in Philly he chose the most money option here. If he was willing to reduce his buyout I wonder if Griff honors it.
    I think this is JJ's way of trying to stick it to Griff and poison the waters for him as a GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He probably didn't have the clout, but that's the thing.

If you want to guarantee you aren't traded somewhere you might not want to be, you have to do one of two things

1) Be untradeably great
    2) Get a no-trade clause

JJ has never been 1, so if he wants to guarantee he has control over where he plays he has to get 2. If he doesn't then he can't be surprised when he gets moved after spending a year dogging it
    There is another option

3) Get a regular job

Take for example, a janitor . A janitor in Brooklyn aint gonna be traded to New Orleans, or Dallas, right ? No one's gonna be dragging him away from home and family. If JJ needs that kind of security i'm sure someone could hook him up.
    Just another Kiwi basking in the reflected glory of Steven Adams....bask bask...

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    FWIW, I checked with my buddy who does some business with members of the brass out on Airline (not Griffin) and he said this is pretty big topic of conversation out there (I thought it might just be biz as usual). The basic feedback was Griffin has a rep of kind telling people what they want to hear, maybe with the expectation that he can make it happen later. On this deal apparently strong expectation that some kind of deal could get done with one of JJ's preferreds but nothing materialized. Only twist was maybe the Pels thought JJ or his agent were a little free with saying he had a buy out in place and that killed potential offers, so organization (Griff) felt somewhat justified to take what he could get from Mavs. Not much, but thought I'd pass it along.
    Yeah I heard similar. Teams probably took the situation for granted, so nobody made a deal for him. All the media outlets said a buyout was looming. It takes two to tango. JJ can play the victim all he wants, but the above is a very real possibility.

It’s difficult to believe that any general manager would guarantee a player that…no matter what other teams offer…he will only be traded to a small list of preferred destinations.

However, in the unlikelihood Griff made this assurance, it doesn’t excuse JJ’s reaction. Lots of people are given assurances from their boss of better hours and more money. Then, circumstances change. Maybe it’s your job performance. Maybe it’s COVID. Who knows? Doesn’t make those employers liars.

JJ’s play…when healthy…was awful. Funny how someone who doesn’t live up to his contract expects other people to live up to their word. Not only does he deserve a share of the blame for Brooklyn, Boston, and Philly being unwilling to give up assets, thereby limiting Griff’s ability to trade him, but someone leaked that a buyout to the Nets was forthcoming. Should’ve been motivation for Philly and Boston to make an offer if they really wanted him.

Lastly, shame on him for talking about how much he loves his former teammates while doing everything he can to ensure no one wants to come here and play with them. Don’t see this guy’s supposed “high character” in any of this.

JJ is just a one trick pony whose act has gone dry. Never could defend, never could 'direct' an offense, never could create his own shot, and never could rebound. The man is just a legend in is own mind, and at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Go back to Brooklyn, and be the over night sports reporter at some independent radio station, JJ. You will be closer to home.

In his final few appearances with the Pels, he looked washed up. Yet, he felt compelled to give up on a franchise willing to pay him more than any other team in the league was willing to pay...while we’re still competing for the play-in tournament.

No contending team was willing to give up anything of value for this bum, but I’m supposed to believe he’s a high-character guy who loves his teammates and New Orleans...while trashing our franchise and messing with our ability to sign/resign players. Screw JJ Redick and his lousy podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by KoMikaera View Post
    There is another option

3) Get a regular job

Take for example, a janitor . A janitor in Brooklyn aint gonna be traded to New Orleans, or Dallas, right ? No one's gonna be dragging him away from home and family. If JJ needs that kind of security i'm sure someone could hook him up.
    No but his job then is even more precarious, as anyone who has ever worked manual labour jobs in the last 30 to 40 years could tell you.
    Basketball.

I do not know what was said, etc. I don't care.

Griffin's #1 job is to do what is best for the TEAM. Everyone should know that. If a GM can look out for both the team and a player, then sure, do what you can for both. But, what happens if there is a conflict of interest between the team and a player, i.e. what is best for a player, is not best for the team? Then, Griffin's job is clear ...to do what is best for the team. A player getting upset for over this, while understandable on a personal level, is asinine professionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesta LSU View Post
    I do not know what was said, etc. I don't care.

Griffin's #1 job is to do what is best for the TEAM. Everyone should know that. If a GM can look out for both the team and a player, then sure, do what you can for both. But, what happens if there is a conflict of interest between the team and a player, i.e. what is best for a player, is not best for the team? Then, Griffin's job is clear ...to do what is best for the team. A player getting upset for over this, while understandable on a personal level, is asinine professionally.
    Right....and if he bold faced lied and that hurts relationships that cost his team future opportunities for a pick in the 50s and two guys who wont be here long term, then he didnt do what is best for the team.

There is nuance here despite the desire to paint it black or white
    @mcnamara247

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Doesn’t really matter if he lied or not because nobody will ever know what really happened.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Right....and if he bold faced lied and that hurts relationships that cost his team future opportunities for a pick in the 50s and two guys who wont be here long term, then he didnt do what is best for the team.

There is nuance here despite the desire to paint it black or white
    Or Griff just following the chain of command. Did you listen to SVG’s comments?

Last edited by 13 - 3; 04-02-2021 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Doesn’t really matter if he lied or not because nobody will ever know what really happened.
    Well, it does matter. But correct, we will never know.

Jrue was on Schwartz IG live yesterday and he said that Griffin traded him when his son was only 3 weeks old. He didn't complain about it. But that had to be upsetting. Knowing a child can't really fly until 3 months. Griff really don't give af about relationships with players it seems. Jrue shouldn't have been traded in the first place, especially for that garbage return.

It won’t affect business . Majority of NBA think he was a spoiled brat to begin. Now he was trying to buy his championship by coming off bench for a couple of minutes. See how that sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Jrue was on Schwartz IG live yesterday and he said that Griffin traded him when his son was only 3 weeks old. He didn't complain about it. But that had to be upsetting. Knowing a child can't really fly until 3 months. Griff really don't give af about relationships with players it seems. Jrue shouldn't have been traded in the first place, especially for that garbage return.
    Should we bring back Dell Demps?

For all we know, JJ's lying (or misread the situation). All we know is JJ's side to this. But, I agree. Integrity is important, especially when you are trying to sell the image of the team as a "family." If Griffin lied to JJ, it doesn't matter if he did what was best for the team. A late second round pick is not worth burning your reputation to the ground. I'd be interested to hear Griff's side of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    It won’t affect business . Majority of NBA think he was a spoiled brat to begin. Now he was trying to buy his championship by coming off bench for a couple of minutes. See how that sounds.
    When I saw Josh Hart's immediate reaction to the news, I think it could affect business. If players (or their agents) feel like they can't trust their GM, you'd better believe that hurts our negotiating position. Hopefully this will just blow over, but I'm not sure it will.

Dude is a rfa. He doesnt have that kind of leverage. The market for him won't be lucrative either. It's in his best interest to get as much money as possible. Hart has very little leverage here. He isn't a good enough player to take that kind of risk. And if JJ is the reason why he make a dumb decision and burn bridges, then he needs new friends.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    When I saw Josh Hart's immediate reaction to the news, I think it could affect business. If players (or their agents) feel like they can't trust their GM, you'd better believe that hurts our negotiating position. Hopefully this will just blow over, but I'm not sure it will.
    Josh Hart opinion? Really . If his opinion mattered Lakers(Lebron) would have kept him.

What would have we gotten in return if JJ was sent to Nets. Nobody thinking that one. Yeah let’s take the Nets scraps. That will make us a better team.

Josh Hart opinion? Really . If his opinion mattered Lakers(Lebron) would have kept him.
    Directly, do you want to re-sign Josh Hart? If you do, then his opinion on the front office matters. Even if you don't care about him, you know who else belongs to the same agency as Josh Hart and JJ Redick? Zion. I believe he will matter a little bit more than either JJ or Josh.

What would have we gotten in return if JJ was sent to Nets. Nobody thinking that one. Yeah let’s take the Nets scraps. That will make us a better team.
    You really believe what we got from Dallas makes us a better team? This is a move on the margin. Is it worth shredding your rep over?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    Directly, do you want to re-sign Josh Hart? If you do, then his opinion on the front office matters. Even if you don't care about him, you know who else belongs to the same agency as Josh Hart and JJ Redick? Zion. I believe he will matter a little bit more than either JJ or Josh.

You really believe what we got from Dallas makes us a better team? This is a move on the margin. Is it worth shredding your rep over?
    What is your point? The whole Davis saga did not affect Rich Paul. We got Bledsoe and Ball

What is your point? The whole Davis saga did not affect Rich Paul. We got Bledsoe and Ball
    We acquired both of them by trade. They didn't have a choice in the matter. You seem sure this will blow over. You're more likely to be right than wrong. However, was it worth it? This is a very stupid thing to lose integrity over if you're David Griffin.

Get a no trade clause in your contract. But as Dae mentioned he don’t have that clout. So enough with that he hurt other people’s feelings. J.J. Has not done anything to earn clout.

Thread Information