Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: JJ Reddick blast Griffin

Horry is 100% correct. JJ was in control a year and a half ago and could have chosen his destination. Instead, he admittedly took the most money despite not being near his family. Now, he expects the organization to forego what is best for them in order to appease him? HE is the one who chose to come to NOLA when he had the opportunity to stay close to home. I am sure if he would have told Griffin that he would give up most of the rest of his contract, Griff would have gladly bought him out. Instead, sounds like JJ wants to have his cake and eat it too.

The organization has been more than fair with him. He has been paid nearly $2 million to be at home with him family for the last month.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Yeah JJ going down in flames

I don't usually agree with much said on the Jump but I think Horry and Jefferson are entirely right here.

JJ chose to leave his family and come here for more money. He's old enough and has been in the league long enough and, screw it, he's been traded often enough to know that for most players you don't get a say. He didn't get a no trade clause in his deal, he didn't negotiate that, and like Horry said, it's not like he's done much for the franchise to be owed that respect.

When Jrue came around to be traded we played the market, but in the end he got sent to a contender. Why? Because Jrue gave us everything for years. He was great for us. Should have been multiple All Defensive First Team, and had excellent runs that included post-season success (he was such a huge part of the Blazers sweep, for example). So when his time to move came around he got to go somewhere desirable. Of course Bucks did give a good return, which helped, no denying that.

By comparison, JJ spent one year here where he was really good from 3 and then half a year where he was garbage in literally every way but one (2 man game with Zion). Then he got paid to go sit at home with his family for a while anyway.

Can he complain? Sure. Am I sympathetic, to an extent? Of course I am. Does it actually reflect badly on the franchise? Not at all, and in the end, as Richard Jefferson says, JJ is a professional: he's been playing the short-contract hired gun role for years now. He doesn't get to pretend it's all about loyalty and sentiment now.
    Basketball.

Again, you guys are right IF Griff said he will try his best and if he said that he will buy him out if he didnt get an acceptable trade offer.

But if Griff said he will move him out East or buy him out if he cant, then Griff is in the wrong. This isnt about JJ's bad season or contract or anything else that you guys are throwing in out of hope your GM isnt in the wrong and/or effecting future players. Its simple - did he lie or not? If you lie to another mans face, you are in the wrong. Especially when it can be as simple as saying, "JJ, I promise you that we will TRY to get you out East, but I have to do whats best for my boss and the other 14 guys in that locker room at the end of the day. But you have my word, I will try everything to get you out there and I will buy you out if no trades that make us better are offered"

Its that simple. And maybe Griff said that and JJ heard what he wanted to hear. Or Griff said that to his agent and his agent misrepresented Griff's words to JJ. But you guys keep making this about his contract or his play and all this other stuff when its only about if Griff lied to him or not - when he didnt have to.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Again, you guys are right IF Griff said he will try his best and if he said that he will buy him out if he didnt get an acceptable trade offer.

But if Griff said he will move him out East or buy him out if he cant, then Griff is in the wrong. This isnt about JJ's bad season or contract or anything else that you guys are throwing in out of hope your GM isnt in the wrong and/or effecting future players. Its simple - did he lie or not? If you lie to another mans face, you are in the wrong. Especially when it can be as simple as saying, "JJ, I promise you that we will TRY to get you out East, but I have to do whats best for my boss and the other 14 guys in that locker room at the end of the day. But you have my word, I will try everything to get you out there and I will buy you out if no trades that make us better are offered"

Its that simple. And maybe Griff said that and JJ heard what he wanted to hear. Or Griff said that to his agent and his agent misrepresented Griff's words to JJ. But you guys keep making this about his contract or his play and all this other stuff when its only about if Griff lied to him or not - when he didnt have to.
    Mac. JJ is a professional. Both can be in the wrong. You keep blubbering on about hypotheticals (we don’t know what was actually said), but it just comes across as you trying to be contrarian. This has nothing to do with play on the court. These are STRICTLY opinions. There are no facts available to back this up. It is perception. And I disagree with you. Both can be in the wrong. Stop trying to make it one-sided (particularly when we have no idea what was actually said).

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The place where JJ's play comes up, I think, is from other teams. Maybe Brooklyn would've let him sign at a minimum deal, but they sure wouldn't deign to trade for him. And maybe JJ knew that?

Who is to say. One thing I'm sure about is if some rando player has the option to sign with us and we have the paper for it, this whole incident is unlikely to play a factor.

Redick is on a playoff team, already. Maybe he finds that old man shot again.

CliffsNotes:
    1. Conspiracy against Duke players?
    2. JJ was disrespected.
    3. The Pels organization is "more of the same" since Griffin was hired.
    4. No wonder AD wanted to leave.
    5. Zion should be worried.
    Last edited by Chris; 04-01-2021 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Zion wants to win. Opening up minutes for Kira and NAW was a winning move. Nice try ESPN

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post

CliffsNotes:
    1. Conspiracy against Duke players?
    2. JJ was disrespected.
    3. The Pels organization is "more of the same" since Griffin was hired.
    4. No wonder AD wanted to leave.
    5. Zion should be worried.
    1. What the...?
    2. Who cares he sucked so bad it was harder to trade him. For all we know he sucked on purpose lol
    3. Stop it. We traded AD straight into a championship. We traded Jrue to a contender.
    4. See clutch sports connection and Perkins the Dumbo admitting to influencing this heavily when he was here.
    5. I mean if we win there should be no worries. The guy seems happy now and thriving.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Listened to his trade explanation pod again and one thing stood out to me.. he said he didn't feel like this was an isolated incident. Hmm.

J
    JJ was basically saying Griff had done this to others. He said he wasready to go when Jrue left. Does he know how that went down and he was unhappy with it? No idea. Anyone know of any other deals Griff has upset players with?

I don't think JJ was lying in his version of events but perhaps we don't have all the details. What if Griff offered the buyout but at a much reduced salary, he said no, and so Griff traded him. JJ didn't say he made any attempts to give back to the Pels to expedite the process of him going and as many have pointed out he played horribly for us to boot. I'm certain a lot of players are missing their families, etc, JJ even said himself he was expecting better treatment as a 15 year vet, but he could have stayed in Philly he chose the most money option here. If he was willing to reduce his buyout I wonder if Griff honors it.
    "..but there's Baron dribbling the ball for 20 seconds, hoisting bad 3s and single-handedly killing them in close games. It's like somebody shrunk Antoine Walker and gave him his own team."
    - Bill Simmons (2006)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Mac. JJ is a professional. Both can be in the wrong. You keep blubbering on about hypotheticals (we don’t know what was actually said), but it just comes across as you trying to be contrarian. This has nothing to do with play on the court. These are STRICTLY opinions. There are no facts available to back this up. It is perception. And I disagree with you. Both can be in the wrong. Stop trying to make it one-sided (particularly when we have no idea what was actually said).
    You arent very smart. My exact point is that we dont know what was said and you are repeating that back to me.

I would type slower, but I dont think it would matter. But again, my point is that what he said is all that matters. And we dont know what he said. But JJ's contract, his play, etc....has nothing to do with anything. If Griff lied, he is wrong. If he didn't, he is not. That simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Listened to his trade explanation pod again and one thing stood out to me.. he said he didn't feel like this was an isolated incident. Hmm.

J
    JJ was basically saying Griff had done this to others. He said he wasready to go when Jrue left. Does he know how that went down and he was unhappy with it? No idea. Anyone know of any other deals Griff has upset players with?

I don't think JJ was lying in his version of events but perhaps we don't have all the details. What if Griff offered the buyout but at a much reduced salary, he said no, and so Griff traded him. JJ didn't say he made any attempts to give back to the Pels to expedite the process of him going and as many have pointed out he played horribly for us to boot. I'm certain a lot of players are missing their families, etc, JJ even said himself he was expecting better treatment as a 15 year vet, but he could have stayed in Philly he chose the most money option here. If he was willing to reduce his buyout I wonder if Griff honors it.
    Griff has done this to others. If any of you have any connections, ask around about some past staff and promises he made to them and then what he actually did when the time came. You dont believe me....cool. DM the reporters and guys you do trust. This is a pattern with Griff. Did the same thing in Cleveland.

But you guys are incentivized to believe that this is on JJ, or at least a no fault situation. But if you want to know the truth, ask around

You arent very smart. My exact point is that we dont know what was said and you are repeating that back to me.

I would type slower, but I dont think it would matter. But again, my point is that what he said is all that matters. And we dont know what he said. But JJ's contract, his play, etc....has nothing to do with anything. If Griff lied, he is wrong. If he didn't, he is not. That simple.
    Take a look in the mirror clown. You missed my point entirely because your comprehension skills are those of a 3rd grader. Your meandering walls of text deceived me into thinking you might have been worth responding too. My mistake.
    Last edited by JJackisangry; 04-01-2021 at 02:28 PM.

Griff has done this to others. If any of you have any connections, ask around about some past staff and promises he made to them and then what he actually did when the time came. You dont believe me....cool. DM the reporters and guys you do trust. This is a pattern with Griff. Did the same thing in Cleveland.

But you guys are incentivized to believe that this is on JJ, or at least a no fault situation. But if you want to know the truth, ask around
    Let's grant that what you are saying is true. What do we do with that? Does that mean that we should be moving on from Griffin? Are we, as fans, just to accept that we are doomed into an unfixable situation? I've heard almost nothing but negative about Griffin for the past year. All we heard when he was hired was how much of a pro he is, how well-respected he was around the league, and how this was a sign the organization was turning a corner. What now? Do we need to hope he adjusts and goes another direction, or do we need to cut ties with him and realize that we're going to look even more dysfunctional for moving on from him after only two seasons?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    Let's grant that what you are saying is true. What do we do with that? Does that mean that we should be moving on from Griffin? Are we, as fans, just to accept that we are doomed into an unfixable situation? I've heard almost nothing but negative about Griffin for the past year. All we heard when he was hired was how much of a pro he is, how well-respected he was around the league, and how this was a sign the organization was turning a corner. What now? Do we need to hope he adjusts and goes another direction, or do we need to cut ties with him and realize that we're going to look even more dysfunctional for moving on from him after only two seasons?
    No - every GM has their pros and cons. This is one of Griff's according to some, but other people love him. Like most people in life.

I just wouldnt be quick to jump at JJ because we are incentivized to want to believe our current POBO over a former player. Always recognize your bias and dismiss it, rather than using it to fuel your conclusions.

You have no connections MAC. At this point you have gotten so much wrong that nobody can take your info in good faith anymore. It’s not even that you give people so called information. You act as if your word is gospel- and when people call you out you hide. Please for your own sake give it up. And learn to read

You have no connections MAC. At this point you have gotten so much wrong that nobody can take your info in good faith anymore. It’s not even that you give people so called information. You act as if your word is gospel- and when people call you out you hide. Please for your own sake give it up. And learn to read
    Cool - then ask those you do trust. See if I am wrong.

Cool - then ask those you do trust. See if I am wrong.
    And again- I’ve mentioned that Griff can’t be trusted millions of times Mac. In that we are in agreement. You could tell last year simply by the way he withheld information on the Zion injury. He has been very sketchy.

That doesn’t mean your info is ironclad or anything. And you still need to learn how to read.

And again- I’ve mentioned that Griff can’t be trusted millions of times Mac. In that we are in agreement. You could tell last year simply by the way he withheld information on the Zion injury. He has been very sketchy.

That doesn’t mean your info is ironclad or anything. And you still need to learn how to read.
    I couldnt care less if you guys believe me. Admittedly, I used to but its a zero sum game and I have actually told people multiple things before anyone else in the past, but you guys cant name one of those things but can recite any time I was wrong. So, again, I couldnt care less. But what I am saying here is true and sourced from multiple people much more in the know that any of us. And again, if you dont believe me, find someone you do believe and ask them. You will see its accurate. But again, I couldnt care less if you believe me or even if you will give any credit when it comes out in the future. Because getting the approval of simpletons means nothing

I couldnt care less if you guys believe me. Admittedly, I used to but its a zero sum game and I have actually told people multiple things before anyone else in the past, but you guys cant name one of those things but can recite any time I was wrong. So, again, I couldnt care less. But what I am saying here is true and sourced from multiple people much more in the know that any of us. And again, if you dont believe me, find someone you do believe and ask them. You will see its accurate. But again, I couldnt care less if you believe me or even if you will give any credit when it comes out in the future. Because getting the approval of simpletons means nothing
    But the attention does Mac. You can’t live without it. You simply live to be the contrarian- take things out of context and argue for the sake of arguing. And throwing around simpleton all Willy nilly just highlights your pretentiousness.

If JJ were smart he would have put a “NO TRADE CLAUSE “in his contract. See Carmelo Anthony. It’s not complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    If JJ were smart he would have put a “NO TRADE CLAUSE “in his contract. See Carmelo Anthony. It’s not complicated.
    That's assuming he had the clout to ask for such a clause when he signed. We did offer him more than anyone else when we signed him.

FWIW, I checked with my buddy who does some business with members of the brass out on Airline (not Griffin) and he said this is pretty big topic of conversation out there (I thought it might just be biz as usual). The basic feedback was Griffin has a rep of kind telling people what they want to hear, maybe with the expectation that he can make it happen later. On this deal apparently strong expectation that some kind of deal could get done with one of JJ's preferreds but nothing materialized. Only twist was maybe the Pels thought JJ or his agent were a little free with saying he had a buy out in place and that killed potential offers, so organization (Griff) felt somewhat justified to take what he could get from Mavs. Not much, but thought I'd pass it along.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    That's assuming he had the clout to ask for such a clause when he signed. We did offer him more than anyone else when we signed him.
    He probably didn't have the clout, but that's the thing.

If you want to guarantee you aren't traded somewhere you might not want to be, you have to do one of two things

1) Be untradeably great
    2) Get a no-trade clause

JJ has never been 1, so if he wants to guarantee he has control over where he plays he has to get 2. If he doesn't then he can't be surprised when he gets moved after spending a year dogging it

Thread Information