Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: February 27th - New Orleans Pelicans @ San Antonio Spurs - 14-18

Basketball Guru
    naw was the hot 3pt player tonight..stan should have let him finish the game..

Well, that's the 4th time Lonzo has embarrassed me when I praised him... figures

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Well, that's the 4th time Lonzo has embarrassed me when I praised him... figures
    Absolute definition of inconsistent.
    Basketball.

The last few nights says it all, you double BI and Zion at the end of games and the others are self checked. Why do other team's guards seem so fluent in their jump shot and the Pelican guards shot looks mechanical? We must get decent shooting guards/wings in this upcoming draft.
    Last edited by sterlr; 02-27-2021 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    The last few nights says it all. you double BI and Zion at the end of games and the others are self checked. Why do other team's guards seem so fluent in their jump shot and the Pelican guards shot looks mechanical/ We must get decemt shooting gurds/wings in this upcoming draft.
    We do not have a talented roster. That's why. This roster is just not very good or very deep.

Lonzo goofed up that last possession... Just bone headed. Dude had a good look at the rim and he dumps it off on Zion where he can't do anything with it. I'd like to hear him acknowledge that he screwed that up..

I live in the same universe where Andrew Wiggins has turn into a DPOY candidate and Lonzo is the new Weedplate Lonzo status and we are Timberwolves of 4 years ago. #PelsLife

This team will continue to struggle late until it fixes the guard problem. I feel sorry for Zion and Ingram. The offense should run through them, but they shouldn’t have to run the offense by themselves.

I just dont understand the defense. Why is this team allergic to doubling and blitzing the other teams best player? Until it's too damn late of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I live in the same universe where Andrew Wiggins has turn into a DPOY candidate and Lonzo is the new Weedplate Lonzo status and we are Timberwolves of 4 years ago. #PelsLife
    I mean, in fairness, Wiggins is not a DPOY candidate. He's not even an all-D candidate imo. He is better, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    This team will continue to struggle late until it fixes the guard problem. I feel sorry for Zion and Ingram. The offense should run through them, but they shouldn’t have to run the offense by themselves.
    THIS 100%

Team needs a legit 6th man. I'd have liked someone like Malik Beasley but he's in to some silly trouble so oh well.

next 3 games are brutal..might not be winning any time soon

Basketball Guru
    let this sit with yall....hart was 0-14 tonight....we loss by 3....

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    let this sit with yall....hart was 0-14 tonight....we loss by 3....
    He was 0-8. Of those shots 6 were threes. Still horrid.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    He was 0-8. Of those shots 6 were threes. Still horrid.
    yeah..dont know why i added.

What could have made the difference in the game?

- A couple of wide open looks late, that we whiffed on
    - Missed free throws down the stretch that kept us at bay.
    - Bench Scoring throughout the game (NO: 20 - SA: 34)
    - And of course those itty-bitty things that prevent us from playing NBA-worthy defense

Small Victories?

- Won the second half battle (NO: 53 - SA: 50)
    - Won the rebounding battle (NO: 53- SA: 38)
    - Only had 10 Turnovers

SVG in the post game

''I didn't have a problem with our shot selection, I did think their defense was good.''

Mentions that when a team focuses so heavily on Zion you have to make adjustments, and Zion made the adjustment of being primarily a passer but that guys just weren't hitting the shots they got.

''I don't think anybody, there's 2 teams below us right now, but there are very few teams in history who have struggled this much defensively so clearly I'm not used to this. But we're just not getting the job done. Like I've said many times, it's on all of us; I feel a huge burden right now, it weighs on me that I'm not finding answers either in who we're playing or how we're playing, but it's just not acceptable and it's not going to win games. We either change it or we're going to have a lot of nights like this.''

''Anybody can play [defense] 5 minutes. But I do think we're capable defensively but it takes a sustained level of intensity and concentration to be good defensively and we haven't formed those habits. That's on all of us, that's on me, it's on the staff, it's on the players, it's on all of us.''

On containing high volume ballhandlers:
    ''Clearly we have problems with that, all year. We've been through Lillard and Chris Paul and clearly we're having trouble with guards in different ways. Clearly, a major problem with that.''

With Kira: ''I'm not happy with his defense, I've been trying to get more defense in there at the guard spots, I think he's been struggling.''

That Kira comment is baffling to me. Kira hasn't been perfect but he's basically un-screenable and he really puts in the effort on D, focusing on playing Redick over him and then saying it's cause of defense is legitimately just nonsense.

''Guys are going to have bad nights shooting the ball and right now we're totally dependent on our offense to win games. We've got to be able to overcome nights like this, but three point shooting is volatile and we've got to find other ways to win. We'll get points, we'll get free throws and we'll get to the rim but we've got to be able to stop people man, and they get frustrated because they know shots have to go in for us to win but that's not the way it should be.''

One bright side though is that Bledsoe looked like he cared for a change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    SVG in the post game

''I didn't have a problem with our shot selection, I did think their defense was good.''

Mentions that when a team focuses so heavily on Zion you have to make adjustments, and Zion made the adjustment of being primarily a passer but that guys just weren't hitting the shots they got.

''I don't think anybody, there's 2 teams below us right now, but there are very few teams in history who have struggled this much defensively so clearly I'm not used to this. But we're just not getting the job done. Like I've said many times, it's on all of us; I feel a huge burden right now, it weighs on me that I'm not finding answers either in who we're playing or how we're playing, but it's just not acceptable and it's not going to win games. We either change it or we're going to have a lot of nights like this.''

''Anybody can play [defense] 5 minutes. But I do think we're capable defensively but it takes a sustained level of intensity and concentration to be good defensively and we haven't formed those habits. That's on all of us, that's on me, it's on the staff, it's on the players, it's on all of us.''

On containing high volume ballhandlers:
    ''Clearly we have problems with that, all year. We've been through Lillard and Chris Paul and clearly we're having trouble with guards in different ways. Clearly, a major problem with that.''

With Kira: ''I'm not happy with his defense, I've been trying to get more defense in there at the guard spots, I think he's been struggling.''

That Kira comment is baffling to me. Kira hasn't been perfect but he's basically un-screenable and he really puts in the effort on D, focusing on playing Redick over him and then saying it's cause of defense is legitimately just nonsense.

''Guys are going to have bad nights shooting the ball and right now we're totally dependent on our offense to win games. We've got to be able to overcome nights like this, but three point shooting is volatile and we've got to find other ways to win. We'll get points, we'll get free throws and we'll get to the rim but we've got to be able to stop people man, and they get frustrated because they know shots have to go in for us to win but that's not the way it should be.''
    Yeah, this was the 1st post game where SVG really rubbed me the wrong way. I didn't like any of his answers.

His 'Kira isnt good on ball' I also don't understand. Sure he's closed out bad and gotten beat a couple times, but mostly, he's guarded the hell out of the ball. He's made people shoot over him in perfect position.

They sure as hell have more time and access to watch more film than me, but I just haven't seen Kira be bad on ball. If anything Zion has been awful on ball. He's lost way more than he's won. Same for Redick.

Somebody needs to ask him why he allows players like DeRozan to waltz into the lane, at turtle speed, 1 on 1 without the Pelicans do anything about it, until 8 minutes left in the game???

If you don't like his defense... Well, it's not like you're gonna do much worse anyway. Let him play.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    SVG in the post game

SVG you idiot then stop shortening your rotations when the team has B2B. Maybe they would have energy to play good defense.
    Last edited by sterlr; 02-27-2021 at 10:05 PM.

We giving up regular 40 pts games to guards as it is with "defensive" guards and you're telling how Kira isn't good enough? Get out of here with that garbage...

Oh deary me. I thought Kira was injured or something. Stan is shooting himself in the foot really. We whine about our bench play yet we never develop any of the talent at our disposal. I’m sure Nickeil will get benched again per usual. Back to our glorious 8 man rotations!

Thread Information