.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 734

Thread: You guys, I think we need to pay Lonzo

  1. #1

    You guys, I think we need to pay Lonzo

    The biggest reason for me is his defense. You're not going to easily find another great defender available for any sort of reasonable trade

    BI and Zion are basically the best, if not one of the top 2 or 3 duo guys in the league.

    BI and Zion can have the offense run through them as number 1 or 2. Having the offense run through Lonzo as the number 3 guy is perfect. He doesn't have to do anything crazy, just be smart.

    So, the big question is... what is the Lonzo contract going to be.

    Lest not forget Adams signed a 4/100mil contract in 2016

    I think Lonzo could be worth 25 mil

    Thoughts pls

  2. #2
    25 mil for defense is a HUGE stretch. If we're gonna pay him for defense and passing then 12 to 15Mil. However I agree that we don't need him do anything special. I say on a consistent basis. Just hit around 15pts 6asts & 4 rbs with no more than 4TO's while being around 45% efficient (Some bad games will happen)then fine. Take the 20ish Million.

    EDIT: I also want to add, the more chemistry the team builds up (as we're seeing a bit as of late) the better. We're learning each other's strengths and how to work with each other. So I've never been opposed to keeping the team as is for a bit to see how things turn out.
    Last edited by hornetzplaya; 02-07-2021 at 02:31 PM.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    25 mil for defense is a HUGE stretch. If we're gonna pay him for defense and passing then 12 to 15Mil. However I agree that we don't need him do anything special. I say on a consistent basis. Just hit around 15pts 6asts & 4 rbs with no more than 4TO's while being around 45% efficient (Some bad games will happen)then fine. Take the 20ish Million.
    It's not just defense

    And I do think 25 mil is a stretch but we have two things going against us:

    1: The Bird Rights Trap

    2: Fricking Klutch Sports

    That's why I suggested 25 mil. Because we ain't getting him lower than that

    Anyway, I'm all for overpaying guys we have Bird Rights for who are good. We're not giving anything up in the real world because we're an over the cap team and precariously close to the tax line.

    We're not signing any Free Agents into cap space, because we have no cap space

    It just leaves the MLE and BAE and Vet Mins

    The difference between 20 mil and 25 mil for a Bird Rights guy isn't 5 mil, it's 0.
    Last edited by AusPel; 02-07-2021 at 02:37 PM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    It's not just defense

    And I do think 25 mil is a stretch but we have two things going against us:

    1: The Bird Rights Trap

    2: Fricking Klutch Sports

    That's why I suggested 25 mil. Because we ain't getting him lower than that
    If that's his asking price he damn well better pull through with the consistency of these past 2 games for the next month before the trade deadline.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    If that's his asking price he damn well better pull through with the consistency of these past 2 games for the next month before the trade deadline.
    I guess I'm an optimist, but I look at things like age and pedigree and I see Lonzo on the good side of these things. He's only 23. Dude's aren't cemented into the player they'll be until 26/27

    I still don't like Lonzo's indecision when driving, but I see him becoming more decisive in other parts of his game too. I'm seeing good trends, so I think it's at least a little bit logical that he'll make improvements across the board

    Maybe I'm too optimistic, but ******** that. I want to be an optimistic fan

    And a fully formed Lonzo is devastating. Not quite as devastating as LaMelo, but he's definitely a better defender than his brother will ever be

    And I do love guys who take defending really seriously.
    Last edited by AusPel; 02-07-2021 at 02:47 PM.

  6. #6
    Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for Zo. I want him to do well here cause we could possibly has the best sleeper team for the future. But I'm not looking past the glaring fact that he's been a below average inconsistent player with good defense since he's been in the league. He found a good stride last year before the pandemic, and it's looking like he's found it again with the new cast. Only time will tell though. I want him to do well and if he plays well, I will proudly give him the 25M he's seeking.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for Zo. I want him to do well here cause we could possibly has the best sleeper team for the future. But I'm not looking past the glaring fact that he's been a below average inconsistent player with good defense since he's been in the league. He found a good stride last year before the pandemic, and it's looking like he's found it again with the new cast. Only time will tell though. I want him to do well and if he plays well, I will proudly give him the 25M he's seeking.
    That's really the magic equation

    Does Zo continue trending upwards, or do you bank on him regressing into the player he once was?

    For me, I'm gonna lean towards the overs because I see no reason (sorry less reasons) for regression and a lot of reasons for progression

    But as I said, I am an optimist

    Guys like MM are your archetypal realists and that's fine
    Last edited by AusPel; 02-07-2021 at 02:54 PM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    That's really the magic equation

    Does Zo continue trending upwards, or do you bank on him regressing into the player he once was

    For me, I'm gonna lean towards the overs because I see no reason (sorry less reasons) for regression and a lot of reasons for progression

    But as I said, I am an optimist
    I see him trending upwards as well. The sup par shooting nights I won't be too worried about cause those will happen. What I'm critical of is his, Decision Making, Turnovers, Ability to drive and finish, and Passiveness. I want the aggressive confident Zo. Not the "Let me kinda drive then kick out late and cause a TO" Zo. Those things drive me up the wall lol

  9. #9
    1st Round Pick LouisianaJoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Baton Rouge, La
    Posts
    77
    I remember seeing Zoe cut through the lane in like a half second, I belive it was in the 4th. There was about 3 defenders there and he kicked it out to the left wing if I'm not mistaken. That was a move I was really impressed with along with his other gradual improvements. It's so hard to judge him, I was leaning on the side of trading him away but it's hard to deny how he fits and when he's on, he's one of the best complimentary players we could ask for. I feel like this might be like the Jrue signing, at the time we all balked at $126m but it ended up being totally valuable the next season. I hope the same happens with Zo.

    Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    I see him trending upwards as well. The sup par shooting nights I won't be too worried about cause those will happen. What I'm critical of is his, Decision Making, Turnovers, Ability to drive and finish, and Passiveness. I want the aggressive confident Zo. Not the "Let me kinda drive then kick out late and cause a TO" Zo. Those things drive me up the wall lol
    Exactly like you

    "What I'm critical of is his, Decision Making, Turnovers, Ability to drive and finish, and Passiveness."
    These are exactly the things I'm looking at too

    Also, shooting with confidence when the heat is on. Do you hesitate or go fully "Le******** You"

    That fake and side step three Zo hit v Grizz was magical, and a huge step forwards in his game

    And his shot looks really nice now. So many reasons to extrapolate this good stretch continuing forwards

    I'm guessing he'll be working on the in between game over this coming summer
    Last edited by AusPel; 02-07-2021 at 03:09 PM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaJoseph View Post
    I remember seeing Zoe cut through the lane in like a half second, I belive it was in the 4th. There was about 3 defenders there and he kicked it out to the left wing if I'm not mistaken. That was a move I was really impressed with along with his other gradual improvements. It's so hard to judge him, I was leaning on the side of trading him away but it's hard to deny how he fits and when he's on, he's one of the best complimentary players we could ask for. I feel like this might be like the Jrue signing, at the time we all balked at $126m but it ended up being totally valuable the next season. I hope the same happens with Zo.

    Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
    I'm just really loving how good his defense is right now. Doesn't get talked about enough

    Kira looks like he's really locked in at that end too

    And defense has actually been NAW's strong point so far

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaJoseph View Post
    I remember seeing Zoe cut through the lane in like a half second, I belive it was in the 4th. There was about 3 defenders there and he kicked it out to the left wing if I'm not mistaken. That was a move I was really impressed with along with his other gradual improvements. It's so hard to judge him, I was leaning on the side of trading him away but it's hard to deny how he fits and when he's on, he's one of the best complimentary players we could ask for. I feel like this might be like the Jrue signing, at the time we all balked at $126m but it ended up being totally valuable the next season. I hope the same happens with Zo.

    Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
    Zo doesn't really do your defense bending passes like his brother will, for example, but he's still doing nice pocket passes to Zion and finding the open man.

    That's one area I think he can get better at. He's a huge guard with decent handles.

    Come on dude, you still have so much more to give that's easily within your skill set

    Timid Zo seems to have been put to pasture. And no one likes to see timid Zo
    Last edited by AusPel; 02-07-2021 at 03:19 PM.

  13. #13
    The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,165
    I think he will continue to taject upward. I look at the lackluster first 15 games as a continuation of last years slump, essentially it being 1 slump. A lot of things happened within that frame: i.e. pandemic, bubble, new coach and system, and so little time to prepare for this season. Dude is 23, plays excellent D, and is getting more and more comfortable/decisive. I'd like to see how the season plays out tbh. I'm not saying that he is untouchable, but let's really see what we have in him.

  14. #14
    The Franchise PolishFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    2,236
    Actually thanks for posting this. There is so much hate for Lonzo that I am happy someone posted something positive. I hope he continues to improve and stays with the Pels. I liked his move when he finished with his left hand and his D at the last play vs Indiana was just phenomenal!!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    Actually thanks for posting this. There is so much hate for Lonzo that I am happy someone posted something positive. I hope he continues to improve and stays with the Pels. I liked his move when he finished with his left hand
    I remember that play.

    I was thinking to myself, 'dude wtf. you don't even realise how good you can be lol

    You're a well built, athletic 6 foot 6 guy. And then this Adam Sandler gif came to mind

    Last edited by AusPel; 02-07-2021 at 04:13 PM.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    Actually thanks for posting this. There is so much hate for Lonzo that I am happy someone posted something positive. I hope he continues to improve and stays with the Pels. I liked his move when he finished with his left hand and his D at the last play vs Indiana was just phenomenal!!
    There is no "hate" for Lonzo. When he shoots more than Zion and BI and most of those shots are 3s, and he turns the ball over and can't create on offense, that's just reality. Thats not "hate."

    And when he comes back down to earth, please keep saying we need to pay Lonzo. Stop waiting until he has 3 good games to do this. Where was this thread the other 20 games?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    There is no "hate" for Lonzo. When he shoots more than Zion and BI and most of those shots are 3s, and he turns the ball over and can't create on offense, that's just reality. Thats not "hate."

    And when he comes back down to earth, please keep saying we need to pay Lonzo. Stop waiting until he has 3 good games to do this. Where was this thread the other 20 games?
    The shooting is part of it, but it's the overall assertiveness with his game that is getting people erect

  18. #18
    The Franchise PolishFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    2,236
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    There is no "hate" for Lonzo. When he shoots more than Zion and BI and most of those shots are 3s, and he turns the ball over and can't create on offense, that's just reality. Thats not "hate."

    And when he comes back down to earth, please keep saying we need to pay Lonzo. Stop waiting until he has 3 good games to do this. Where was this thread the other 20 games?
    There is truth in it but also people blamed him for the Indiana loss where he was like the third or fourth guy to be blamed. I realize he may regress again but I am really rooting for him to finally turn the corner

  19. #19
    The Franchise PolishFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    2,236
    Also if he did turn the corner that would be huge I mean HUGE for this team. Also he is not a good defender but I think he is actually a very good defender.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    Also if he did turn the corner that would be huge I mean HUGE for this team. Also he is not a good defender but I think he is actually a very good defender.
    He's a ********ing great defender

    But what exactly does 'turn the corner' mean for Lonzo


  21. #21
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    jacksonville,fl/new orleans
    Posts
    3,072
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    The biggest reason for me is his defense. You're not going to easily find another great defender available for any sort of reasonable trade

    BI and Zion are basically the best, if not one of the top 2 or 3 duo guys in the league.

    BI and Zion can have the offense run through them as number 1 or 2. Having the offense run through Lonzo as the number 3 guy is perfect. He doesn't have to do anything crazy, just be smart.

    So, the big question is... what is the Lonzo contract going to be.

    Lest not forget Adams signed a 4/100mil contract in 2016

    I think Lonzo could be worth 25 mil

    Thoughts pls

    Klutch Sports are going to do what they do...so lonzo is getting paid.....hell they might get him back to the lakers for lebron...

    lonzo is the best defender we have so we just cant trade him for scrubs.....i think griff is going to take his chance and see if we can sign him in the off season...i mean thats how i look at it if we dont trade him......

    i keep telling yall lonzo has a lil brother in the league that he cant let get all of the shine....bragging rights are on the line lol....lamelo will keep lonzo competitive....now im waiting on lonzo to have his 30pts game this season lol...and yes i want lonzo back on the team because defense help when titles....

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    Klutch Sports are going to do what they do...so lonzo is getting paid.....hell they might get him back to the lakers for lebron...

    lonzo is the best defender we have so we just cant trade him for scrubs.....i think griff is going to take his chance and see if we can sign him in the off season...i mean thats how i look at it if we dont trade him......

    i keep telling yall lonzo has a lil brother in the league that he cant let get all of the shine....bragging rights are on the line lol....lamelo will keep lonzo competitive....now im waiting on lonzo to have his 30pts game this season lol...and yes i want lonzo back on the team because defense help when titles....
    I think people are assuming just because he plays for the Pels, he's most likely to sign with us

    I disagree. If he gets through the trade period, he's signing an offer sheet with another team 100%

    Could easily be a 4/100 with Chicago or Knicks

    The question is, do we match....

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post

    i keep telling yall lonzo has a lil brother in the league that he cant let get all of the shine....bragging rights are on the line lol....lamelo will keep lonzo competitive....now im waiting on lonzo to have his 30pts game this season lol...and yes i want lonzo back on the team because defense help when titles....
    If Lonzo is getting 30 there's something wrong with the team

  24. #24
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    jacksonville,fl/new orleans
    Posts
    3,072
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    There is no "hate" for Lonzo. When he shoots more than Zion and BI and most of those shots are 3s, and he turns the ball over and can't create on offense, that's just reality. Thats not "hate."

    And when he comes back down to earth, please keep saying we need to pay Lonzo. Stop waiting until he has 3 good games to do this. Where was this thread the other 20 games?

    you and pelicandae are never fair when you talk about lonzo having more shot attempts than zion and ingram....context means something....

    the hate is when you talk about lonzo having more shot attempts than zion and ingram without context in you comments....the context that yall intently leave out because it will not fit yall agenda......the sad part is that yall watch the games and still would make those type of comments.....alot of those shots are being force on lonzo to shoot.......ingram is always forcing lonzo to shoot 3s by passing him the ball with the shot clock is down so lonzo has to shoot the ball or get a shot clock violation and then yall 2 will blame him for that lol smh....

    the defense is not respecting his shot and leave him open..we pass the ball to him so he has to do something with the ball which is shoot it or drive but either way it leads to a shot attempt by lonzo which may lead to him taking more attempts by being open.....

    hell yes lonzo take some dumb 3pt shots in games by rushing it so this is a fair criticism
    by yall...its all good...

    we had games where we were blown out or down and the team get 3pt happy to try and shoot their way back into the game so yes lonzo may have to take more shots in those events that may lead him to have more shots than zion or ingram....

    i dont know how many games lonzo had more shot attempts than ingram or zion but i bet if we look at those games then we will see the context that im talking about that you 2 purposely leave out and that is the part that yall are hating on.......other criticism are fair game to me but the shot attempt thing is just foul on yall part.......and dae is just petty as hell smh....

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    you and pelicandae are never fair when you talk about lonzo having more shot attempts than zion and ingram....context means something....

    the hate is when you talk about lonzo having more shot attempts than zion and ingram without context in you comments....the context that yall intently leave out because it will not fit yall agenda......the sad part is that yall watch the games and still would make those type of comments.....alot of those shots are being force on lonzo to shoot.......ingram is always forcing lonzo to shoot 3s by passing him the ball with the shot clock is down so lonzo has to shoot the ball or get a shot clock violation and then yall 2 will blame him for that lol smh....

    the defense is not respecting his shot and leave him open..we pass the ball to him so he has to do something with the ball which is shoot it or drive but either way it leads to a shot attempt by lonzo which may lead to him taking more attempts by being open.....

    hell yes lonzo take some dumb 3pt shots in games by rushing it so this is a fair criticism
    by yall...its all good...

    we had games where we were blown out or down and the team get 3pt happy to try and shoot their way back into the game so yes lonzo may have to take more shots in those events that may lead him to have more shots than zion or ingram....

    i dont know how many games lonzo had more shot attempts than ingram or zion but i bet if we look at those games then we will see the context that im talking about that you 2 purposely leave out and that is the part that yall are hating on.......other criticism are fair game to me but the shot attempt thing is just foul on yall part.......and dae is just petty as hell smh....
    Are dumb Lonzo threes even a thing anymore?

    I think I remember about 1 this season

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •