Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lonzo and Redick on the Trade Market

Lonzo and Redick on the Trade Market

So we get a confirmation from Shams: Lonzo and JJ are both players we have an ''openness to discussing'' for trades. Thank god.

Though I will say this bit is funny because Oubre has been one of the ten worst players in the NBA so far this year given his minutes and whatnot. He was better before going to Golden State so I'm not saying he'd be doomed to being awful here, but he's never been great and so far this year has been terrible so it would be extremely PelsLife to trade, say, Redick, for someone shooting 35/21/74 on splits while getting fried on defense.
    Basketball.

I want Isaac from the Magic. Make it happen Griffin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yikes. Oubre has a reputation for having a bad attitude. He also falls in love with the 3 even though he never really has been able to shoot it. Would prefer we find someone willing to ship a heavily protected 1st for JJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post

Keep dreaming
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post

Yeah that's not happening Magic aren't moving Isaac for scraps, that's for sure.

I'll leave it at this: A steadying salary cap with an abundance of teams at/above the cap this summer will lead to a more robust trade market for Lonzo than most people think. Teams will be willing to move a small asset/expiring(like Oubre) for Lonzo now because it allows them the option to sign him using Birds Rights. Any team trading for Lonzo is probably not doing so as much to use him this year as they are trading for his rights next year.

I would like Wayne Ellington.
    SIGN A SF

"Two veteran productive guards" is an interesting ending to Pels excerpt. I wonder who told Shams to describe Lonzo in that fashion. Maybe it's just the language Shams decided to roll with and I'm looking to far into it, but "veteran productive guard" is a looong way from how I would expect Rich Paul to describe Lonzo
    Last edited by pelafanatic; 01-26-2021 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    "Two veteran productive guards" is an interesting ending to Pels excerpt. I wonder who told Shams to describe Lonzo in that fashion. Maybe it's just the language Shams decided to role with and I'm looking to far into it, but "veteran productive guard" is a looong way from how I would expect Rich Paul to describe Lonzo
    Yeah it's strange because Shams is usually nothing if not a reliable Klutch mouthpiece, quite odd to hear him describe Lonzo in less than glittering terms. Maybe given how bad he's been so far (not just this year, but career wise for a guy with his minutes, opportunities, and expectations) that's the best they could phrase it without looking like flat out liars?

Another interesting aspect to monitor here is Woj has not reported on this at all. Woj (and now Andrew Lopez) has traditionally been Griff's go to guy, so it may be safe to say none of this is coming from the Pels, unless there's a leak. This either means that other teams are truly interested in these guys, or this is just the start of Klutch forcing Lonzo out of Nola. Either way, sign me up

Another interesting aspect to monitor here is Woj has not reported on this at all. Woj (and now Andrew Lopez) has traditionally been Griff's go to guy, so it may be safe to say none of this is coming from the Pels, unless there's a leak. This either means that other teams are truly interested in these guys, or this is just the start of Klutch forcing Lonzo out of Nola. Either way, sign me up
    That's one potential avenue (and as you say, whichever gets Lonzo out of here, doesn't really matter) though one would think a Klutch-led push would be more positive about him than this.

It also wouldn't explain Redick's inclusion, given that he's not a Klutch guy that I remember. Unless Lebron wants him in LA I guess.

Considering Hill was recently demoted to the bench for Theo Maledon, I think that assumption was correct, although Hill's shooting would've been welcomed this season

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    That's one potential avenue (and as you say, whichever gets Lonzo out of here, doesn't really matter) though one would think a Klutch-led push would be more positive about him than this.

It also wouldn't explain Redick's inclusion, given that he's not a Klutch guy that I remember. Unless Lebron wants him in LA I guess.
    Right and so that leads me to believe that this reporting is coming entirely from other teams that have shown interest in Lonzo and JJ (and I'd assume Bled, though he isn't included). As mentioned above, I think the return for Lonzo will be surprising

Would not mind shipping out Bledsoe as well if he has value. To me, we should be shopping Ball, Bledsoe, JJ and Melli in any combination looking for future assets (young veterans and/or future picks). If we ship both Ball and Bledsoe, we probably will need a veteran PG to share time with Kira (someone like a Payton, Augustin or Satoransky type).

Right and so that leads me to believe that this reporting is coming entirely from other teams that have shown interest in Lonzo and JJ (and I'd assume Bled, though he isn't included). As mentioned above, I think the return for Lonzo will be surprising
    Hope it is surprisingly good. Someone like Oubre is not that though.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Hope it is surprisingly good. Someone like Oubre is not that though.
    By surprisingly good I mean like the 28th pick in the draft. Nothing fancy

I hope to God that is not the conclusion the Pels came to. I’d rather pretend OKC was stubborn and we gave in. I don’t want to accept that we are just stupid and kept Bled over Hill

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I hope to God that is not the conclusion the Pels came to. I’d rather pretend OKC was stubborn and we gave in. I don’t want to accept that we are just stupid and kept Bled over Hill
    Bledsoe is objectively better than Hill

Bledsoe is objectively better than Hill
    On a longer contract and an awful fit. It takes two to tango, so if we get a good haul I can accept it. Currently it seems bad until we offload him

On a longer contract and an awful fit. It takes two to tango, so if we get a good haul I can accept it. Currently it seems bad until we offload him
    The longer contract is part of the intrigue with Bled. Allows the Pels to take back 18 mil in salary in any trade next season, as he's basically an expiring in 2021-2022. I'll also note that he's a better fit next to either NAW or Kira than he is next to Lonzo. He's shooting 40% from 3 this season.

The longer contract is part of the intrigue with Bled. Allows the Pels to take back 18 mil in salary in any trade next season, as he's basically an expiring in 2021-2022. I'll also note that he's a better fit next to either NAW or Kira than he is next to Lonzo. He's shooting 40% from 3 this season.
    That statistic is a bit misleading though as he has been incredibly streaky from the 3 pt line rather than consistent. But I concede that it all depends on if we get a haul for Bled or not. Preferably we offload the 3 musketeers of crap (I love you JJ) so we can make time for the players you mentioned.

That statistic is a bit misleading though as he has been incredibly streaky from the 3 pt line rather than consistent. But I concede that it all depends on if we get a haul for Bled or not. Preferably we offload the 3 musketeers of crap (I love you JJ) so we can make time for the players you mentioned.
    For me, the whole thing with trading Bled this year or next year depends on if you think he's willing to accept a bench role next season until he's moved. If he's not, there's no reason not to move him either now or this summer. I think you have to go into next season with an open competition for starters minutes at both guard positions unless you bring in an all star caliber player there.

For me, the whole thing with trading Bled this year or next year depends on if you think he's willing to accept a bench role next season until he's moved. If he's not, there's no reason not to move him either now or this summer. I think you have to go into next season with an open competition for starters minutes at both guard positions unless you bring in an all star caliber player there.
    Yeah I feel similar. We need to have an idea who is going to be here and who should get minutes (at least until an offer too good to pass up comes along and plans change AKA Boogie deal, etc.). We definitely shouldn’t be wasting big minutes on guys that obviously won’t be here long, and as you said it depends on how Bledsoe feels about taking a back seat.

And yet I still feel there's someone out there who will give up positive value for him. Maybe just wishful thinking, but I honestly think the hype behind his name might still be that strong.

Thread Information