.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: N/P: Christian Wood

  1. #1

    N/P: Christian Wood

    Why did we kick him to curb? Anyway good interview and good to see him doing well.

    Last edited by 13 - 3; 01-12-2021 at 11:01 AM.

  2. #2
    This isn't TigerDroppings

  3. #3
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Taker597's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,619
    They didn't like his character... And he wouldn't take a back up role to Zion. He's not a stretch 5. If you want a stretch 5. You need to go to Europe and get Miroric back in the league.

  4. #4
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    They didn't like his character... And he wouldn't take a back up role to Zion. He's not a stretch 5. If you want a stretch 5. You need to go to Europe and get Miroric back in the league.
    Mirotic was more of a stretch 4, but he is not coming back. He wanted to be closer to home.

  5. #5
    Know it's a dead letter, but I was never sure if these reports about Wood's character problems were legit sourced or just conjecture. Anybody have anything concrete?

    I think in today's NBA Wood can be a stretch 5 and you could have played him next to Zion. Wood is a good shot blocker and a strong rebounder. He's a little undersized, but you can see traditional bigs (including Adams) are having a hard time seeing the floor during crunch time in the playoffs. I think he just got caught in the regime switch. At the end of '19 season all indications were that Woods would play with Pels summer league team and work out at the facility. Something changed abruptly.

  6. #6
    FWIW, here is a brief article from Wood's time with the Pistons that touches on some of the issues he's had in the NBA...

    https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2019/...ood-paying-off

  7. #7
    He would have been a perfect fit with Zion. Said it then and I'll say it now, until we get a stretch 5, Zion will never reach his potential. Ask, Giannis what Brook Lopez means to his game.
    Say Cannon Hinnant's Name.

  8. #8
    Didn’t really fit at the time I presume. He would be a perfect center to Zion IMO. Oh well

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    He would have been a perfect fit with Zion. Said it then and I'll say it now, until we get a stretch 5, Zion will never reach his potential. Ask, Giannis what Brook Lopez means to his game.
    I guess it is not too late to trade up back for him. Send Ball to Houston?

  10. #10
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,444
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    I guess it is not too late to trade up back for him. Send Ball to Houston?
    Wouldn't imagine Griff would feel better about the character issues now.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Wouldn't imagine Griff would feel better about the character issues now.
    He was ok with JR Smith in Cleveland. Every player has some sort of character issue. We can always shop Bledsoe. Speaking of character issues.

    I’ll gladly take Rondo back.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Wouldn't imagine Griff would feel better about the character issues now.
    Let's not forget that Alvin probably had some input (or should have).

    Nothing against Darius Miller, but after he signed that 14MM, two year contract with the Pelicans last year, remind me how many games did he play for the Pelicans?

    Considering that Detroit signed Wood off of waivers after the Pelican set him free, the Miller contract should have been Wood's as he played for peanuts in Detroit.. I know his stats are skewed because he only played eight games for the Pelicans, but he averaged 17 and 8 in under 24 minutes a game; so all the signs were there. Alvin, where were you and did you notice? It was Danny Ferry who brought Wood in...surely he would have spoken up for Wood on his way out?

    "....and these are Days of Our Lives."

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Let's not forget that Alvin probably had some input (or should have).

    Nothing against Darius Miller, but after he signed that 14MM, two year contract with the Pelicans last year, remind me how many games did he play for the Pelicans?

    Considering that Detroit signed Wood off of waivers after the Pelican set him free, the Miller contract should have been Wood's as he played for peanuts in Detroit.. I know his stats are skewed because he only played eight games for the Pelicans, but he averaged 17 and 8 in under 24 minutes a game; so all the signs were there. Alvin, where were you and did you notice? It was Danny Ferry who brought Wood in...surely he would have spoken up for Wood on his way out?

    "....and these are Days of Our Lives."
    Good points.

  14. #14
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,444
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Let's not forget that Alvin probably had some input (or should have).

    Nothing against Darius Miller, but after he signed that 14MM, two year contract with the Pelicans last year, remind me how many games did he play for the Pelicans?

    Considering that Detroit signed Wood off of waivers after the Pelican set him free, the Miller contract should have been Wood's as he played for peanuts in Detroit.. I know his stats are skewed because he only played eight games for the Pelicans, but he averaged 17 and 8 in under 24 minutes a game; so all the signs were there. Alvin, where were you and did you notice? It was Danny Ferry who brought Wood in...surely he would have spoken up for Wood on his way out?

    "....and these are Days of Our Lives."
    Chances of re-signing him would not have been good anyway. Would have certainly meant we would have not traded for Adams. Given Griff's desire to get Adams, I doubt he would have kept a guy who had character concerns on a $41 million contract over Adams.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Chances of re-signing him would not have been good anyway. Would have certainly meant we would have not traded for Adams. Given Griff's desire to get Adams, I doubt he would have kept a guy who had character concerns on a $41 million contract over Adams.
    Steven Adams is of no significance to my post.

    or....

    You'll have me believe that the reason Griff signed Darius Miller (coming off an Achilles injury) to a 14MM Contract was to secure Steven Adams a full year later. That's quite a bit of Hocus Pocus. I mean, Griffin had the foresight to know that Miller would be the critical linchpin that would make a Steven Adams trade plausible a full year later!!! If this is your reason, Griffin is not just a General Manager; he is God.

    Either you, my fine friend, are a Griff apologist, or Griff, himself.

    POSTSCRIPT: Like Miller, currently on the second year (last year) of a 14MM contract, had the same contract been offered to Wood, the 41MM contract offered to Adams a full year later would be of absolutely no consequence whatsoever.
    Last edited by As I See It; 01-13-2021 at 12:44 PM.

  16. #16
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,444
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Steven Adams is of no significance to my post.

    or....

    You'll have me believe that the reason Griff signed Darius Miller (coming off an Achilles injury) to a 14MM Contract was to secure Steven Adams a full year later. That's quite a bit of Hocus Pocus. I mean, Griffin had the foresight to know that Miller would be the critical linchpin that would make a Steven Adams trade plausible a full year later!!! Pl-eeease!! Griffin is not just a General Manager; he is God.

    Either you, my fine friend, are a Griff apologist, or Griff, himself.

    POSTSCRIPT: Like Miller, currently on the second year (last year) of a 14 MM contract, had the same contract been offered to Wood, the 41MM contract offered to Adams a full year later would be of absolutely no consequence whatsoever.
    Even had we kept Wood, we would have had to re-sign him as a FA. Do you think Griff signs him to a $41 million contract rather than trade for Adams? It has every significance to the Wood decision. We would not have done both. Arguably, Wood (without any baggage) may have been a better fit for this team and saved some assets as a result. However, I do not think that is what Griff would have done.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Even had we kept Wood, we would have had to re-sign him as a FA. Do you think Griff signs him to a $41 million contract rather than trade for Adams? It has every significance to the Wood decision. We would not have done both. Arguably, Wood (without any baggage) may have been a better fit for this team and saved some assets as a result. However, I do not think that is what Griff would have done.
    It has absolutely no significance. They are two separate transactions in two separate years. What am I missing here?

    I have no true idea, because I'm not quite as clairvoyant as you, but I have a feeling that in 19/20 Wood would helped this team much, much more than a JAX.......or a Ja.......or, even a Derrick. Perhaps you can argue otherwise, but a 13 game losing streak and a 30 and 42 overall record suggest the three mentioned players didn't/couldn't cut it.

    But the more I think about it, had Wood been on the team last year, maybe...just maybe...the Pelicans would have made the playoffs and then Alvin might still be in our midst.
    Last edited by As I See It; 01-13-2021 at 01:15 PM.

  18. #18
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,444
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post

    But the more I think about it, had Wood been on the team last year, maybe...just maybe...the Pelicans would have made the playoffs and then Alvin might still be in our midst.
    So was that your goal or are you looking at this year's team and the future?

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    So was that your goal or are you looking at this year's team and the future?
    Sorry I was in meetings.

    My goal is unchanged; it is, first and foremost, to maintain a viable presence in NOLA. Second to put the best possible product on the court now, without sacrificing the future. Third, to build a program and not just a team.

    I contend that signing Wood over Miller was a no brainer to checking all three boxes. Miller (who I hold no ill-will toward), did nothing in terms of the 19/20 Pelicans. .

    I don't think including Wood instead of Miller for a trade for Adams would have been a deal breaker for the Thunder had the Pelicans still wanted to. Do you?

    So, as I answered your question, here's mine: Do you want to tank? If so, for how long?
    Last edited by As I See It; 01-13-2021 at 06:04 PM.

  20. #20
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,444
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Sorry I was in meetings.

    My goal is unchanged; it is, first and foremost, to maintain a viable presence in NOLA. Second to put the best possible product now on the court without sacrificing the future. Third, to build a program and not just a team.

    I contend that signing Wood over Miller was a no brainer to checking all three boxes. Miller (who I hold no ill-will toward), did nothing in terms of the 19/20 Pelicans. .

    I don't think including Wood instead of Miller for a trade for Adams would have been a deal breaker for the Thunder had the Pelicans still wanted to. Do you?
    We couldn't have traded Wood for Adams. He was a FA. The decision would have been to either sign him to a bigger deal and make him our 5 OR trade for Adams.

    Would he have been more valuable than Miller? In hindsight, sure, but Miller was signed to that contract to be a trade chip. His injury blew that up. At best, I think Wood would have been here for one season and who knows how much playing time he would have gotten under Gentry?

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    We couldn't have traded Wood for Adams. He was a FA. The decision would have been to either sign him to a bigger deal and make him our 5 OR trade for Adams.

    Would he have been more valuable than Miller? In hindsight, sure, but Miller was signed to that contract to be a trade chip. His injury blew that up. At best, I think Wood would have been here for one season and who knows how much playing time he would have gotten under Gentry?
    Huh?????

    If we would have signed signed Wood to the two year Darius Miller deal (as I said in my very first post), he most certainly would have been tradable (just like Darius was).

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Huh?????

    If we would have signed signed Wood to the two year Darius Miller deal (as I said in my very first post), he most certainly would have been tradable (just like Darius was).
    Wood would not have signed a deal for $7m a year.

    We know that because he got claimed off waivers by Detroit and then when he hit the free market he got offered a deal worth pretty much double that. You can't argue that we should have signed Wood to the two year Miller deal, which was about $7m a year, when we know his free market price was about $14m a year.
    Cade Cunningham/Usman Garuba/Scottie Barnes/Moses Moody/Brandon Boston Jr endorser.

    Eye test people: analytics people watch more basketball than you do.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Wood would not have signed a deal for $7m a year.

    We know that because he got claimed off waivers by Detroit and then when he hit the free market he got offered a deal worth pretty much double that. You can't argue that we should have signed Wood to the two year Miller deal, which was about $7m a year, when we know his free market price was about $14m a year.
    How can you say we know that? Just Curious. What did play for in Detroit?

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    How can you say we know that? Just Curious. What did play for in Detroit?
    He was claimed off waivers in Detroit for pittance, but when he hit the open market properly after that one year in Detroit, he got signed by the Rockets for 3yrs $41m. That's how I know his market value was about double that: it's the contract he got given as soon as he was a proper free agent again.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He was claimed off waivers in Detroit for pittance, but when he hit the open market properly after that one year in Detroit, he got signed by the Rockets for 3yrs $41m. That's how I know his market value was about double that: it's the contract he got given as soon as he was a proper free agent again.
    So you contend, that an undrafted free agent who never made any real money in the NBA would have scoffed at a 14MM, two year contract and gambled on himself. Okay, that makes sense. Hindsight LMAO!!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •