Pelicans Report

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: January 6th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Oklahoma City Thunder - 4-3

Lonzo is a bad decision maker.

He charged the lane and caught OKC off guard and scored. Cool.

He comes back 2 straight possessions and tries to do it again, when OKC is ready for it. He doesn't take his time, direct traffic so he has an open lane.

Indiana cleared space for Brogdon's gw the other night. When OKC needed to score, they cleared space for Hill who got Lonzo to foul him.

Lonzo, otoh, doesn't seem to know how to direct traffic aka be a point guard. He just does things recklessly which ends up in blocked shots in a crowded paint or a turnover.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    You better recheck your percentages after this game because it's pathetic considering how many 3 point shots he's launching a night. It ain't 35%.
    You are right; it's 34.7% this year (rounded to 35%, though). But that's not the point. His basketball IQ has to qualify him for 'basketball special education'.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    Whatever you say.. I don't have anything else to say to you about it. Believe what you want.
    40% from the field after tonight. Back to less than one free throw attempt a game after that fluke in the opener. You still haven't made a convincing argument here.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    You are right; it's 34.7% this year (rounded to 35%, though). But that's not the point. His basketball IQ has to qualify him for 'basketball special education'.
    32.7 after the okc game.

The Franchise
    The question was why Zo over Bledsoe...

Clearly Zion has more space to operate with Zo on the floor than Bledsoe. It's not a matter of Zo being a good option. Just, a better one considering what's available.

With that being said I prefer NAW over both.

Zion has space to operate? I bet you're trying to say that with a straight face. Newsflash we're near the bottom of the league shooting the deep ball.
    Last edited by Snarly; 01-06-2021 at 10:59 PM.

Too late to tank for Cade Cunningham or Jalen Green?

The Franchise
    Zion has space to operate? I bet you're trying to say that with a straight face. Newsflash we're near the bottom of the league shooting the deep ball.
    Do you not comprehend well???????????? There... is... more.. space.. to.. operate.. for Zion and Ingram with Zo in instead of Bledsoe..

That doesn't mean we are a good team from 3.. that doesn't mean Zion doesn't have a less than optimal line up to work with..

Stop reading more into what's being communicated.. Try not to be stupid.. What I'm saying should be easy to understand.

Lonzo isn't providing anything special for Zion. Hes taking 7 attempts a game shooting under 33%. Bledsoe shoots a better percentage from deep at around 5 attempts and gives you better dribble penetration as well as the ability to draw fouls and doesn't force things. You still make some poor ****** argument for Ball.

The Franchise
    Lonzo isn't providing anything special for Zion. Hes taking 7 attempts a game shooting under 33%. Bledsoe shoots a better percentage from deep at around 5 attempts and gives you better dribble penetration as well as the ability to draw fouls and doesn't force things. You still make some poor ****** argument for Ball.
    You're a liar.. Bledsoe is a 33% 3Pt shooter with only 3 attempts per. Ball was at 35% this season on more attempts. Those are facts.. This is my last response to you.. I now have you on ignore.. =).

Facts. Bledsoe is shooting 38% on 4.9 attempts a game. Lonzo is shooting 32.7 on 7 attempts a game. But I'm lying right? He also shooting a nice 47% from the field. But keep dogging Bledsoe.

Facts. Bledsoe is shooting 38% on 4.9 attempts a game. Lonzo is shooting 32.7 on 7 attempts a game. But I'm lying right? He also shooting a nice 47% from the field. But keep dogging Bledsoe.
    Just to clarify, the Pelicans roster 3pt stats so far this year, in order of percentage:

Brandon Ingram: 38.6% (6.3 per game)
    Eric Bledsoe: 37.1% (5.0 per game)
    Nickeil Alexander Walker: 35.3% (3.4 per game)
    Lonzo Ball: 34.7% (7.0 per game)
    Josh Hart: 31% (4.1 per game)
    JJ Redick: 24.3% (5.3 per game)
    Nicolo Melli: 20.0% (2 per game)

As you can see, we are a really bad 3pt shooting team, and yes Bledsoe is currently shooting a better percentage than Lonzo on fewer attempts.

Stats taken from: https://www.espn.com/nba/team/stats/...ntPct/dir/desc
    Basketball.

That's prior to tonight which is outdated. We're even worse now.

That's prior to tonight.
    Huh, strange. ESPN's stats page factors in tonight's game on the individual player's pages, but not the team page yet.

In any case, if you include tonight's game:

Bledsoe is 15/39 from 3, which is 38.4%

Lonzo is 19/58 from 3, which is 32.7%

So yep, you're right. The numbers check out.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Huh, strange. ESPN's stats page factors in tonight's game on the individual player's pages, but not the team page yet.

In any case, if you include tonight's game:

Bledsoe is 15/39 from 3, which is 38.4%

Lonzo is 19/58 from 3, which is 32.7%

So yep, you're right. The numbers check out.
    My point is based on their career stats.. Bledsoe has proven to not be a good option from deep, and hasn't had a history of taking many shots from that area. Which shrinks the floor. That's all I'm saying.. On his career he's at 33 percent. On few attempts..

Funny. Lonzo with the updated stats has a career average of 33 % as well.

My point is based on their career stats.. Bledsoe has proven to not be a good option from deep, and hasn't had a history of taking many shots from that area. Which shrinks the floor. That's all I'm saying.. On his career he's at 33 percent. On few attempts..
    I think the confusion in your point comes from this

You're a liar.. Bledsoe is a 33% 3Pt shooter with only 3 attempts per. Ball was at 35% this season on more attempts. Those are facts.
    You say that your point is based on their career stats, but you actually used Lonzo's stat from this season, not his career efficiency, when comparing with Bledsoe's career. On his career, Lonzo is 34.0% 3pt shooter (332/976) compared to Bledsoe's 33.7% (697/2066). We're talking about a very very small difference in overall career efficiency: 0.3%, in fact. Of course, Lonzo is on more attempts, that is true, but the actual shooting percentages for their careers are nearly indistinguishable.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I think the confusion in your point comes from this

You say that your point is based on their career stats, but you actually used Lonzo's stat from this season, not his career efficiency, when comparing with Bledsoe's career. On his career, Lonzo is 34.0% 3pt shooter (332/976) compared to Bledsoe's 33.7% (697/2066). We're talking about a very very small difference in overall career efficiency: 0.3%, in fact. Of course, Lonzo is on more attempts, that is true, but the actual shooting percentages for their careers are nearly indistinguishable.
    I don't know if you're doing this intentionally but.. me and you both know shot attempts matter. I know you know this because you made a big deal about Ingrams shot attempts from 3 being low prior to him playing for the Pels.

In addition, if there is this perception around the league that Bledsoe can't shoot from deep this will shrink the floor. On the flip side there is this perception that Zo has improved in that area, which means Zion will have more space to operate.

I don't have a preference for either one.. I simply answered the question as to why one is getting more time late in games than the other.

Let Lonzo come off the bench. Insert NAW in the starter's role. I love the energy he brings to the floor. Also, and someone else said it, if 6'2", Payton Prichard (26th overall pick) can merit, 23.11 minutes a night on a title contender with very successful results, then Kira Lewis should be able to log minutes on a team building for the future. Lottery Picks have to play until they prove they can't.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Let Lonzo come off the bench. Insert NAW in the starter's role. I love the energy he brings to the floor. Also, and someone else said it, if 6'2", Payton Prichard (26th overall pick) can merit, 23.11 minutes a night on a title contender with very successful results, then Kira Lewis should be able to log minutes on a team building for the future. Lottery Picks have to play until they prove they can't.
    I think NAW would probably be a better starter than Zo, but with NAW off the bench we at least have some fire power subbed in to relieve the starters. I don't know how much Zo would actually give us in that role. Though I haven't entirely given up on him.

I'm not going to dog on Hayes tonight, but I really wish he would face up and put up the rock once in awhile. With is quickness and 'ups', a one dribble, jumper from the wings would open up the interior for ZW and BI for their dash and slash game. AND.....JAXSON really has a nice looking shot if only he could translate it into game play (I think eventually he will...maybe even out to the three point line).

I'm hoping one day, he's a more athletic version of Brook Lopez (think how Lopez outside game opens up the floor for Giannis).

First, I wouldn’t change the rotations yet. Too soon. Let them settle in a bit longer before tinkering.

Second, if I was going to change things up I think I’d start Zo and NAW together. It would give us great length in the backcourt, hopefully a little better spacing for Zion and Brandon, and for some reason I really like the idea of playing two savvy veterans in Bled and JJ against back ups. Plus they compliment each other with Bled penetrating and defending while JJ (hopefully) bombs away from distance.

SVG screwed up again by putting the ball in Lonzo's hands so much down the stretch.

Unless Bledsoe was hurt, there was no reason for him to end the game on the bench for so long.

It also seemed like he was going to roll with JJ all game and NAW would see no minutes.

All the criticisms Piston fans had about him (bad rotations, not developing young talent) seem to happening here again.

I don't know if you're doing this intentionally but.. me and you both know shot attempts matter. I know you know this because you made a big deal about Ingrams shot attempts from 3 being low prior to him playing for the Pels.

In addition, if there is this perception around the league that Bledsoe can't shoot from deep this will shrink the floor. On the flip side there is this perception that Zo has improved in that area, which means Zion will have more space to operate.

I don't have a preference for either one.. I simply answered the question as to why one is getting more time late in games than the other.
    We do both accept that shot attempts matter, but you know, at this point they're both taking fairly similar quantities. Yes, Lonzo is taking a few more, but then we're at the quibbly point of exactly where the cutoffs lie. We both know volume matters, and we both know percentages matter. The exact ratio-of-mattering is the question at work here: is 7 attempts at 32% more of a threat than 5 attempts at 38%? Is 2 attempts per game, which is what the actual on-court production is so far this season, worth 6% shooting efficiency?

That's a question that I can't set firm limits on, and I would be highly distrustful of anyone who said that they could unless they could provide massive quantities of evidence. What I do know is that so far this year, if I'm a defender, I'm more likely to pay attention to a feet-set, catch and shoot three that toes the line from Bledsoe than I am a janky stepback 28 footer from Lonzo, and I don't think that's a controversial statement among most people.

Lonzo is at his best when he is handling the ball in the half-court fairly infrequently, and when his shooting comes off-ball. Again, not really sure that's controversial at this point. The consequence of this is that when Bledsoe has the ball in his hands - this season - I am tending to be more worried about him than I am of Ball. This is partly because of the shooting but also partly because I know Bledsoe is (and has been for years) a legitimate threat to drive, and I also know that in the event of him doing so he's probably going to make the FTs if I foul. Lonzo presents none of those challenges. So the real question is not ''Is Lonzo a better shooter than Bledsoe'', which is debatable so far this season, but rather, ''is Lonzo's higher volume from 3 compared to Bledsoe worth all of the sacrifices that you make when you place Lonzo on the ball?''

To me, the answer to that is fairly clearly no, which is partly why this discussion came up in the first place: why play Lonzo 36 minutes and Bledsoe 25? Why Lonzo closing games over Bledsoe? That's the initial discussion a lot of this came from, and there doesn't seem to be a satisfying answer to me.

I think, because of his energy and hustle, we have a tendency to turn a blind eye to guffaws of Josh Hart. He makes some bonehead decisions when the rock is n his hands offensively.

Thread Information