Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Every year it?s the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    yes, it's different. It's not an argument. You can stay on brand if you'd like, but it's become quite boring
    Yup

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Sam Hinkie is smiling

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Patience?

Imagine a TV show that was bad or terrible almost every year of existence, with an episode here or there that is great (2007-08, Mourning's rookie year, etc).... and someone tells you to be patient. Eventually it might be good, maybe

This is entertainment, pure and simple. And the team has been in existence for around 30 years and achieved essentially nothing. But its always gonna be better and/or different next year.

You wouldnt go to a restaurant that has been bad for most of their 30 years. Or watch a TV show that has been bad for most of its 30 years. But sports is different for some reason and people will allow themselves to be emotionally invested for 30 years despite always being disappointed, and then tell themselves that the future will be better (even though history tells them it wont)

Its quite perplexing
    Why do you always speak out of both ends of your mouth? You were the one telling people they were ridiculous for wanting instant gratification and that trying to win too quickly was a bad thing (which I agree with). Now, you are here telling people that they should not be patient. Is it that either way, you can say you were right?

Wait till you find out we can't tank right either. Can't win right, Can't tank right.

Consistency problem? You think?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Why do you always speak out of both ends of your mouth? You were the one telling people they were ridiculous for wanting instant gratification and that trying to win too quickly was a bad thing (which I agree with). Now, you are here telling people that they should not be patient. Is it that either way, you can say you were right?
    Instant gratification would be wanting this franchise to win big by 1993. It is 2021 and I have been around since 91 and I cant tell you how many times the narrative was "brightest future in the league, just wait, massive success is right around the corner"

And then its not, but it will be next year. Or once we get x pick or y player. Meanwhile, cut to 2021 and its the same thing as people were saying in chat rooms in 1994.

Be patient, do what you like, but as an old man who has been around the block - you will see that the glory day you are all hoping for is never coming. And you wouldnt accept that from any other business. You wouldnt spend your time or money at a restaurant that is bad and say, "See this new busboy...he is young but in a few years, he will be a great chef and this place will finally be good!"

I just find it funny, thats all
    @mcnamara247

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Instant gratification would be wanting this franchise to win big by 1993. It is 2021 and I have been around since 91 and I cant tell you how many times the narrative was "brightest future in the league, just wait, massive success is right around the corner"

And then its not, but it will be next year. Or once we get x pick or y player. Meanwhile, cut to 2021 and its the same thing as people were saying in chat rooms in 1994.

Be patient, do what you like, but as an old man who has been around the block - you will see that the glory day you are all hoping for is never coming. And you wouldnt accept that from any other business. You wouldnt spend your time or money at a restaurant that is bad and say, "See this new busboy...he is young but in a few years, he will be a great chef and this place will finally be good!"

Boring! Boring!!

You even mentioned that Griff is falling into the same trap that Demps did right? My thing is this, I can't recall this team take the approach that Memphis is doing now, which makes me believe there is an alternative to the history of us shooting ourselves in the foot and being stuck in mediocrity. Not saying we won't do that now, but to assume it will NEVER happen is far fetched when there is a door we simply barely if ever took is my point. We don't know what that door leads too, and I want so bad for us to try something differently.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    Boring! Boring!!
    This

Patience?

Imagine a TV show that was bad or terrible almost every year of existence, with an episode here or there that is great (2007-08, Mourning's rookie year, etc).... and someone tells you to be patient. Eventually it might be good, maybe

This is entertainment, pure and simple. And the team has been in existence for around 30 years and achieved essentially nothing. But its always gonna be better and/or different next year.

You wouldnt go to a restaurant that has been bad for most of their 30 years. Or watch a TV show that has been bad for most of its 30 years. But sports is different for some reason and people will allow themselves to be emotionally invested for 30 years despite always being disappointed, and then tell themselves that the future will be better (even though history tells them it wont)

Its quite perplexing
    Correct me if I’m wrong (however I doubt either of us care to even remember) but I can?t recall the last time you accurately described my feelings regarding this team 100% on the nose, but this is probably it. Give me your Venmo so I can wire you money for a milkshake from Crown Burger for your phycology work.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 03-05-2021 at 10:56 AM.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    You even mentioned that Griff is falling into the same trap that Demps did right? My thing is this, I can't recall this team take the approach that Memphis is doing now, which makes me believe there is an alternative to the history of us shooting ourselves in the foot and being stuck in mediocrity. Not saying we won't do that now, but to assume it will NEVER happen is far fetched when there is a door we simply barely if ever took is my point. We don't know what that door leads too, and I want so bad for us to try something differently.
    Of course there is a POSSIBILITY of something drastically different happening. I just find it funny how fans give the benefit of the doubt to minute possibilities that they don't give in any other walks of life.

Again...TV show, restaurant, a bank that messes up far more than it does well - do you give anything else even close to the benefit of the doubt or optimism you give this franchise when looking at past results compared to possible future outcome?

This offseason we are going to draft a player in the lottery and we will still have fans saying “the goal for this season is to develop young players. Your expectations of making the playoffs are way out of line.”

Folks, we are being sold a bad product. Our friends told us that Cop Rock was going to get better.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I find it funny a guy who most people in the forum don't want be around still continues to post. Also the analogy is really dumb for a self-proclaimed "basketball analyst".

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    This offseason we are going to draft a player in the lottery and we will still have fans saying “the goal for this season is to develop young players. Your expectations of making the playoffs are way out of line.”

Folks, we are being sold a bad product. Our friends told us that Cop Rock was going to get better.
    I don't think so. I think most people would agree next year is the year for the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    I find it funny a guy who most people in the forum don't want be around still continues to post. Also the analogy is really dumb for a self-proclaimed "basketball analyst".
    Show me where I ever proclaimed myself that. I proclaimed myself a troll and if nobody likes me, then I would say I am doing a pretty good job at that ��

I don't think so. I think most people would agree next year is the year for the playoffs.
    And when we don't make it, you will say "our guys are still young. Zion hasn't even played 180 games yet. Be patient." Blah blah blah

Things will be the same until we trade Bledsoe. A half assed 31 one year old All NBA defensive vet is a recipe for disaster. He sets a horrible example for everyone on the defensive side. Worst part about it is he knows his playing time is guaranteed so he doesn’t even bother putting forth any effort. He knows we are desperately shopping him.

We always try to rush every rebuild (in the Boogie case- understandable). It’s time to move on and see what kind of guard Kira will be and whether we need to be in the market for someone different. We can’t properly evaluate our young guys without consistent playing time.

I think last year (when JJ said that he planned on keeping his playoff record intact) the teams goal was the playoffs, and then when we crapped out early on it was “well, this team is young and they need to develop”.

This year the team has only gotten older, and it’s still “well we are developing young players (which there is no proof of)”.

Folks, I believe we have Pelicans ticket salespeople on the site, and they are trying to salvage a bad product.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Things will be the same until we trade Bledsoe. A half assed 31 one year old All NBA defensive vet is a recipe for disaster. He sets a horrible example for everyone on the defensive side. Worst part about it is he knows his playing time is guaranteed so he doesn’t even bother putting forth any effort. He knows we are desperately shopping him.

We always try to rush every rebuild (in the Boogie case- understandable). It’s time to move on and see what kind of guard Kira will be and whether we need to be in the market for someone different. We can’t properly evaluate our young guys without consistent playing time.
    After Kira and NAW’s performance last night I’m not sure what the goal for the season is, make the playoffs, develop talent, drive a stealth tank. This team is an enigma wrapped in a riddle.

I think last year (when JJ said that he planned on keeping his playoff record intact) the teams goal was the playoffs, and then when we crapped out early on it was “well, this team is young and they need to develop”.

This year the team has only gotten older, and it’s still “well we are developing young players (which there is no proof of)”.

Folks, I believe we have Pelicans ticket salespeople on the site, and they are trying to salvage a bad product.
    Most definitely. We have the pieces, but the conductors of the orchestra are proving time and time again that they are clowns. I’m not sure I even blame Stan at this point. He is probably getting mixed signals from the front office. We have no plan- or at least not a coherent one. That is on Griff. He built a dodgy team, realized it was a disaster and needs to salvage it by taking a step back. Time for the younguns to get their moment.

The young players getting their moment might actually prove to be the boost that this team needs (speaking about Kira and NAW last night).

I saw a tweet yesterday saying that perhaps Bledsoe’s agent was making things hard on Griff. How is that possible? If an agent has that much power that he can tower over a franchise you either need to cut him out of the picture, or have a GM that is a better communicator that will make the agent listen to reason. Hell, that’s one of the reasons Demps was shown the door. If Griff is going to be muscled by the agent for some has been player, then we need to move on from Griff.

And when we don't make it, you will say "our guys are still young. Zion hasn't even played 180 games yet. Be patient." Blah blah blah
    Then why are you a fan after all these years even though you do not even live here?

The young players getting their moment might actually prove to be the boost that this team needs (speaking about Kira and NAW last night).

I saw a tweet yesterday saying that perhaps Bledsoe’s agent was making things hard on Griff. How is that possible? If an agent has that much power that he can tower over a franchise you either need to cut him out of the picture, or have a GM that is a better communicator that will make the agent listen to reason. Hell, that’s one of the reasons Demps was shown the door. If Griff is going to be muscled by the agent for some has been player, then we need to move on from Griff.
    What was the implication that his agent was doing (i.e. any more details)?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    What was the implication that his agent was doing (i.e. any more details)?
    I don’t know how to imbed tweets on this site from my phone.

https://twitter.com/ryanhebert89/sta...968722435?s=21

If we were so interested in team development, there would have been no white elephants like Favors, JJ, or Adams.

Sure we were forced into moving Jrue, but a return that included useless assets that didn't fit the team or timeline was foolhardy. Any return that didn't fit a rebuild profile should have been converted immediately.

I don't know about you, but I'd bet a dollar to a donut, that SVG would love to have Kenny Hustle over Melli right now.

Everybody who can breathe knew that Gentry was on borrowed time. Why waste a year (sorry Ms. Benson) on someone who had long overstayed his welcome? Did this move alone, retard the rebuild? You bet it did.

And I'll say it again DeAndre Hunter v JAX/NAW was just plain silly (although I still hold out hope for something to click, one day, for JAX)

It’s comical looking back on it now remembering insiders saying “the Pels are keeping Gentry around because they want to move him to the front office afterwards.” And as soon as he was let go Gentry was like “peace out”. We could and should have moved on from Gentry last year, but naw.

Thread Information