Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Van Gundy Concerns {edited}

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    You're the one making excuses, blaming the refs for the loss. Wins come and wins go

But you're right about analysing the team's processes
    I’m not the one that wants to fire people after a fluke loss

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    I’m not the one that wants to fire people after a fluke loss
    We didn't win or lose on a fluke

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I think you just created a job for an NBA team. Go apply somewhere as the Time Out coach.
    I hope between the 8 coaches on the bench that one can see that we needed a TO lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanNation View Post
    he was being sarcastic
    LOL!!!

I’m starting to come around to the title of this thread.

So, this is why last games loss is so relevant and matters so much more than “it’s one game”.

Those kinds of games are season defining and now that we lost two in a row when we should of won both.... its horrible. Why?

Because we just lost two stupid games and we’re about to go on a brutal road trip that we might go 2-5. Thus putting us towards the bottom of the western conference.

You cannot lose games like this and expect to make the playoffs in the west. Let alone compete in a 7 game series in the playoffs.

You win those last two games and we’re looking GREAT to start the season. Now it’s the exact opposite. The devil is in the details!

I expected this team to make the playoffs this year. Clearly, my expectations were too high.

What if I told you that the Pelicans were purgatory, and were all in it?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I'd still spend my time there

I’d believe you.

Time to repent.

JJ being off has killed us. Our bench is terrible. Last in the league. We have stretches of time where we literally forget how to play basketball.

Also, I said it all offseason. Should of hired a young stud coach like the Celtics did with Stevens.

Basketball Guru
    this is griff roster....a lot of the blame has to go on him.....gundy had no input on this group so i can give him a break because we dont have shooters...bench is bad.....griff is not looking good right now....

Trust the process. YHT did it wrong. We did it right. Hey at least we are not 4-12 right now.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    food for thought...most good offenses are composed of a combination of both excellent ball AND player movement...JJ has survived on the latter his entire career and alas, might be slowing down a bit now... anyway, the key for successful player movement often hinges on the screening process....with the exception of Adams, the Pels are a very, very poor screen team most of the time.... multiple screens will often pop someone open for a really good open shot, if they are executed properly.... I am not sure if this team is really capable of making that happen though....any thoughts on this subject?
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    food for thought...most good offenses are composed of a combination of both excellent ball AND player movement...JJ has survived on the latter his entire career and alas, might be slowing down a bit now... anyway, the key for successful player movement often hinges on the screening process....with the exception of Adams, the Pels are a very, very poor screen team most of the time.... multiple screens will often pop someone open for a really good open shot, if they are executed properly.... I am not sure if this team is really capable of making that happen though....any thoughts on this subject?
    We have a serious problem on offense when it comes to player movement off ball, this is absolutely true. However, I don't think it's necessarily linked to the screening issue, or at least, not entirely to the screening issue.

The problem is that we have no real halfcourt lead ball handler. Ingram has improved massively in that regard and may be growing into that role but he's not ironed out his issues yet, and other than him there's basically nobody at all. Bledsoe can do it somewhat but given the lack of shooting and the presence of guys like Adams and Zion, the paint is pretty rammed right now.

The result of this is that when Ingram is off the floor, or when he's on the floor but being cut off by the defense, our offense has two choices. The first choice is to just pick a guy and see if they can make something happen; this is, as expected, hit or miss. The other choice (which is the one we end up doing all the time) is running FT line DHOs off Adams.

Now, Adams is a very good passing big, and DHO's can help create some space and separation for a ballhandler where they couldn't usually create it themselves, but it's also a very obvious and predictable action that is easy to identify and easy to handle if there's nothing else going on off-ball to draw attention. If we don't institute some off-ball motion into the offense, or start investing ballhandler reps into guys like Zion and NAW (we've all discussed how annoying it is when Zion goes 4 or 5 minutes on the court without getting a legitimate series of touches), smart defensive teams will simply blow up the DHO every time.

Phoenix did it and it was a horror show, and that's the blueprint teams are going to use. It's part of why our offense is so stagnant.

I know that SVG keeps talking about defense and he's right to, it's very very important and in the past this franchise hasn't cared that much about it, but our defense is good. Really good. Top 5. It's the offense that is dismal half the time, and as of yet very little attention has been paid to it.
    Basketball.

Right now, one of our biggest problems is that we cannot shoot. We have almost no threat to consistently hit the 3. Another issue is our depth. SVG is not using the bench and it appears the players are getting tired with the energy they are expending on defense and the significant minutes they are playing.

#StandbehindStan

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Right now, one of our biggest problems is that we cannot shoot. We have almost no threat to consistently hit the 3. Another issue is our depth. SVG is not using the bench and it appears the players are getting tired with the energy they are expending on defense and the significant minutes they are playing.
    seems true but we dont have a bench to use....frank,,moore and okafor would be better offensive backups for gundy....

The last two games have for surely soured me on SVG. Not having Zion in during overtime and having JJ in was insane against the Pacers. And last night only playing Bled 25 minutes compared to Lonzo?s 36, Hart?s 28, and NAW?s 27. I rather have Bled in at the end of games cause Lonzo drives me nuts. Did he get banged up and I missed it??

We should of never got rid of Monty Williams. He’s a damn good coach and players like him. But who knows what would of happened and where would be at now
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 01-07-2021 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    seems true but we dont have a bench to use....frank,,moore and okafor would be better offensive backups for gundy....
    Yeah, but he needs to play some of the younger guys in order to see what he has and also to give the top 6-7 players a breather.

So... uh. Gundy going to last the season?

Who we ping to pick with our lottery pick?

Asking for a friend......

What a joke!!!!! Utter disappointment!

Hall of Famer Contributor Hopeful Hugo's Avatar
    I have decided to put my mask over my eyes when watching the Pels.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Hugo View Post
    I have decided to put my mask over my eyes when watching the Pels.
    I’m just... don’t even know.

All I know is... Gundy allowing this team to constantly shoot threes when we can’t make them is pissing me off.

Adam’s scores at will down low. Pound the dang rock low. Zion got 26 down low.

Take mid range shots. Drive the ball. Make layups.

If this continues.... Gundy was the wrong choice.

We got to talk.

If we are going to lose, why not lose while letting the young kids play? Is the plan to play them in their final season here just so another team can sign them away?

Give up the farm for Beal Levert or Lavine
    SIGN A SF

We got to talk.

If we are going to lose, why not lose while letting the young kids play? Is the plan to play them in their final season here just so another team can sign them away?
    Gundy needs to make it crystal clear that settling for threes when they aren’t dropping is not going to fly.

He has to... you know... coach. Drive. Pass. Move off the damn ball. Screen.

He has to coach to our strengths.

If he can’t do that... he’s gotta go!

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post
    Gundy needs to make it crystal clear that settling for threes when they aren’t dropping is not going to fly.

He has to... you know... coach. Drive. Pass. Move off the damn ball. Screen.

He has to coach to our strengths.

If he can’t do that... he’s gotta go!

hornets went to zone defense and we just started shooting 3s.....teams know to pack the paint and lets us shoot 3s when the game is close or if they have the lead trying to closed the game out...

Thread Information