Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Training Camp Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    You can look at Zion’s neck and see a difference in his build.
    He's looking great with around 12-15% bodyfat which is fine

I could pluck out a picture of me from a few years ago looking around the same level of bulk and bodyfat as him

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    He's looking great with around 12-15% bodyfat which is fine

I could pluck out a picture of me from a few years ago looking around the same level of bulk and bodyfat as him
    Weren't you the one the other day that said you weren't going to overanalyze pictures this season, and now you're estimating bodyfat %'s lol

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Weren't you the one the other day that said you weren't going to overanalyze pictures this season, and now you're estimating bodyfat %'s lol
    I live to analyse fam

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If Zion ever gets a mid-range game of any kind, he could be a comparison I don?t wanna make lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    If Zion ever gets a mid-range game of any kind, he could be a comparison I don?t wanna make lightly.
    Bron?

He doesn't have any semblance of a pull up jumper game off the dribble whatsoever

Bron came into the league with that

Bron?

He doesn't have any semblance of a pull up jumper game off the dribble whatsoever

Bron came into the league with that
    Yes he does lol. The ooze to Zion is that he?s like Larry Bird to me where he?s a set shooter because it?s the best shot to take in efficient basketball.

But also...Lebron coming in had a pull up jumper only in one dribble to two dribble motions around the perimeter or on the baseline. The easier ?pull ups?. The tougher pull up is the one that feels more downhill (many use floaters in this scene radio).
    Find any young highlight of Lebron driving to the basket in a full speed motion and pulling up within the edges of the paint in downhill motion.

You won?t.

Zion hit that type of ull up jumper on Lebron in the 2nd half of the game AD missed inside the paint and he converted a pull up bank shot jumper (something you will be hard pressed to find a young Lebron convert in a highlight) against the Clippers in the bubble.

Check out the highlight. It’s all there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    Yes he does lol. The ooze to Zion is that he?s like Larry Bird to me where he?s a set shooter because it?s the best shot to take in efficient basketball.

But also...Lebron coming in had a pull up jumper only in one dribble to two dribble motions around the perimeter or on the baseline. The easier ?pull ups?. The tougher pull up is the one that feels more downhill (many use floaters in this scene radio).
    Find any young highlight of Lebron driving to the basket in a full speed motion and pulling up within the edges of the paint in downhill motion.

You won?t.

Zion hit that type of ull up jumper on Lebron in the 2nd half of the game AD missed inside the paint and he converted a pull up bank shot jumper (something you will be hard pressed to find a young Lebron convert in a highlight) against the Clippers in the bubble.

Check out the highlight. It’s all there.
    Your whole argument that Zion does have a pull up game is based off of a single play in what's essentially a layup for him?

You've described a driving bank shot. That's not what we mean by a pull up game.
    Last edited by AusPel; 12-09-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Lord. One person pulls out pull up jumpers out of desperation in a debate, now it's all the rage on pelicans report.

Pull up jumpers is not synonymous with a mid range.

Similar to Lebron, he is damn near unstoppable driving downhill. He can get away with a simple one dribble/C&S mid range when left open.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Lord. One person pulls out pull up jumpers out of desperation in a debate, now it's all the rage on pelicans report.

Pull up jumpers is not synonymous with a mid range.

Similar to Lebron, he is damn near unstoppable driving downhill. He can get away with a simple one dribble/C&S mid range when left open.
    Nice try at a straw man

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Lol

http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider/...-2020-21-50-11

For those without insider.

ESPN predicted player rankings going in to 20-21 training camp:
    19. Zion
    28. Ingram
    33. Jrue
    54. Zo
    67. Bledsoe
    70. Adams

That's some interesting predictions that I don't agree with.
    Wouldnt put too much stock in ESPN. Their analysts do not seem to understand basketball very well....their idea of who might win the game is "who wants it more"

Nice try at a straw man
    I like how I apparently mentioned pull up 3pt shots ''out of desperation'' rather than out of the recognition that it's like, the single most optimal skill for a lead ballhandler to have in today's NBA on offense, and a skill that would be specifically more valuable next to Zion than most.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I like how I apparently mentioned pull up 3pt shots ''out of desperation'' rather than out of the recognition that it's like, the single most optimal skill for a lead ballhandler to have in today's NBA on offense, and a skill that would be specifically more valuable next to Zion than most.
    Really wish folks I've ignored for years quotes were blocked (not you, the one you quoted).

But I say "out of desperation" because you misquoted it for Ingram and then give 3 pt pull ups too much weight. You said Ingram was a "sub 30% pull up shooter", which is not true. He's a 40% pull up shooter, which is the same as Tatum. But I think you knew that. You didn't mention distinctly '3 point pull ups' anywhere until now, after I pointed this out.

Also, across most spots and situations on the floor (driving, C&S, paint touches, post touches, inside the RA, corner 3s, pull ups, and elbow) Ingram has an equal or higher FG% or eFG% than Tatum. And a significant advantage in a few like when very closely guarded (basically a hand in your face). I can post all that in the proper thread if necessary. But to say Tatum is a better scorer than Ingram is basically trolling at this point.

The main point for THIS thread is BI is the perfect toolbox next to Zion offensively in every way. Zion could not ask for a better running mate once they cut down the turnovers.

And lastly, a leadballhandler's single most optimal skill remains dribble penetration. Or otherwise an offense with superior ball/player movement. That has been and always will be vastly more impactful to beating coverages and warping defenses than pull up 3s. Especially against defenses that defend the PnR well.
    Last edited by luckyman; 12-10-2020 at 05:45 AM.

Looks like Naji Marshall has indeed made it to camp. He probably wont see many minutes even in pre season but, I remain very intrigued in his development.

This argument is getting pretty out of hand, but once again, Ingram is the superior offensive player, but it is close. Tatum is the superior defensive player, but it is not close.

Tatum would be a far better natural pairing next to Zion, but that’s not a knock on Ingram. Tbh, Ingram would probably be a better pairing with Smart and Brown.

Tatum is the better pull up shooter. It’s simple as that. Not really much to argue there

This argument is getting pretty out of hand, but once again, Ingram is the superior offensive player, but it is close. Tatum is the superior defensive player, but it is not close.

Tatum would be a far better natural pairing next to Zion, but that’s not a knock on Ingram. Tbh, Ingram would probably be a better pairing with Smart and Brown.

Tatum is the better pull up shooter. It’s simple as that. Not really much to argue there
    I provided the raw numbers behind the 3 point pull up % for both players. It gives important context to show that claiming Tatum is the superior pull up shooter is disingenuous. And the whole point of highlighting this highly inefficient pull up 3 is because it draws attention. You cannot go under a screen which opens up the floor for the ball handler. Doesn't even matter if they make the shot at a high clip or not. Harden doesn't. It's the threat. This is already the case with Ingram even if Gentry didn't use him that way. This isn't L.A. Ingram anymore. So what offensive advantage are you getting with Tatum you aren't already getting with Ingram??

Actually look into these things without just parroting.

Further, when Ingram is very closely guarded, he still converts 53% of his shots. Tatum falls off a cliff at 41%.

And defensively Ingram contested 512 shots in 62 games. Tatum 449 shots in 66 games. Ingram 117 deflections. Tatum 190 deflections.

So as I said, Ingram's defensive issues are on the IQ side. That gap isn't as wide as people make it out to be.

Zion absolutely benefits more being next to a playmaker that has scored all over the floor when asked. Also with a 7'3" wingspan defensively that anybody with eyes can see has defensive potential through the roof.

I'm not on here just parroting stuff. But if you want to ignore all that, have at it.

I provided the raw numbers behind the 3 point pull up % for both players. It gives important context to show that claiming Tatum is the superior pull up shooter is disingenuous. And the whole point of highlighting this highly inefficient pull up 3 is because it draws attention. You cannot go under a screen which opens up the floor for the ball handler. Doesn't even matter if they make the shot at a high clip or not. Harden doesn't. It's the threat. This is already the case with Ingram even if Gentry didn't use him that way. This isn't L.A. Ingram anymore. So what offensive advantage are you getting with Tatum you aren't already getting with Ingram??

Actually look into these things without just parroting.

Further, when Ingram is very closely guarded, he still converts 53% of his shots. Tatum falls off a cliff at 41%.

And defensively Ingram contested 512 shots in 62 games. Tatum 449 shots in 66 games. Ingram 117 deflections. Tatum 190 deflections.

So as I said, Ingram's defensive issues are on the IQ side. That gap isn't as wide as people make it out to be.

Zion absolutely benefits more being next to a playmaker that has scored all over the floor when asked. Also with a 7'3" wingspan defensively that anybody with eyes can see has defensive potential through the roof.

I'm not on here just parroting stuff. But if you want to ignore all that, have at it.
    Lol dude I've looked into all of the numbers, and watched the games. I've also rewatched every game Ingram has played with the Pels specifically watching Ingram. You can take the "parroting" stuff somewhere else.

I also just said Ingram is the superior offensive player. Contested shots literally means nothing defensively as a wing

I'm happy you're able to think for yourself. It's a shame that your opinion is wrong
    Last edited by pelafanatic; 12-10-2020 at 10:30 AM.

Bledsoe looks happy to be here at least. Hopefully he won’t quit on us.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Bledsoe looks happy to be here at least. Hopefully he won’t quit on us.
    To be fair to Bled, that Suns team went 24-58; and Phoenix under Sarver has been one of the most toxic environments in the history of sports.

Lol dude I've looked into all of the numbers, and watched the games. I've also rewatched every game Ingram has played with the Pels specifically watching Ingram. You can take the "parroting" stuff somewhere else.

I also just said Ingram is the superior offensive player. Contested shots literally means nothing defensively as a wing

I'm happy you're able to think for yourself. It's a shame that your opinion is wrong
    I am literally wasting my time when this is the type of response I get. I've gone through this many times before on this site. I'm done with it.

But when I'm proven right in a few months...again...please don't be the type to call it "dirt slinging" or call me "intellectually dishonest" in the future. K? Thats just sour grapes

I am literally wasting my time when this is the type of response I get. I've gone through this many times before on this site. I'm done with it.

But when I'm proven right in a few months...again...please don't be the type to call it "dirt slinging" or call me "intellectually dishonest" in the future. K? Thats just sour grapes
    WE ALL LOVE INGRAM. WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT.

WE ALL LOVE INGRAM. WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT.
    And I like Tatum. Thats not the point.

And I like Tatum. Thats not the point.
    From what I've heard, Ingram has taken an even further step this off season in his shooting. Even in a shortened offseason, this is the longest offseason he's had in two years. Apparently, his handle is looking tighter, and he's stretched his jumper even more. Additionally, he's spoken to the media about his desire to improve defensively

Ideally, he stretches his long 2's, which he is very good at statistically, out to the 3 point line this season. Again, from what I've heard from a few people familiar with the situation, the jumper is even better than it was last year following an off-season working with Vinson.

His focus is absolutely where he should improve this season defensively, but he will never be an elite on-ball defender. He just doesn't have the foot speed laterally or the quick hips to stay in front of guards or average size wings. But he should be able to use his length to destroy passing lanes and block shots as a help defender, as long as he works on his positioning. SVG should help a ton in this area. It's incredibly important to the future of this franchise that he improves in this area

This...this is exciting. He's in legit shape.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Ninja’d. Can we start the season already?

Ronnie is basically the Zuckerberg of sports games

Oh Zion baby what is you doin

Thread Information