.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 42 of 42

Thread: Rotation predictions

  1. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    DeAndre Jordan (who I think Hayes is as raw as coming out and Hayes is a year younger when he came out) got 14 mins his rookie year, then 16 his 2nd year) Finally became a starter and got 25mpg by age 22

    Bigs take a while to understand the game. And Hayes also has to put on bulk, so he is both raw and has an under developed body

    I think he COULD get 15-18 mins this year, especially when injuries occur, but he wont just get those minutes because he was the 8th overall pick. He will have to beat out Hernangomez, and that is not a given. Hernangomez has an NBA body and a better overall offensive skill set as of right now. Also, he isnt great defensively, but I have not seen many guys look more lost than Hayes did last year and if he looks that lost this year, he will get quick hooks from SVG
    This
    Say Cannon Hinnant's Name.

  2. #27
    There's people saying we should give up on Hayes, ship him out, sunk cost, etc. Don't listen to those people. Hayes has a good chance of being worth the investment, and we aren't in win now mode by any means. Just give him some time to develop.

  3. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    There's people saying we should give up on Hayes, ship him out, sunk cost, etc. Don't listen to those people. Hayes has a good chance of being worth the investment, and we aren't in win now mode by any means. Just give him some time to develop.
    He's 20 years old; I agree with this. But, if he can't beat WH for the BU role (a true measuring stick), he should be sent down to Erie (or is it Birmingham) so he can play starter minutes to begin the season and familiarize himself with the game (I said the same thing last year and got lambasted for it on this forum).

    Further, as much as people want Adams to teach him the nuances of center play in the NBA, it's really quite futile until JAX has a working knowledge of the game. It's kind'a like teaching a promising neophyte "Beethoven's Fifth" before he's even mastered 'Chopsticks'.

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    He's 20 years old; I agree with this. But, if he can't beat WH for the BU role (a true measuring stick), he should be sent down to Erie (or is it Birmingham) so he can play starter minutes to begin the season and familiarize himself with the game (I said the same thing last year and got lambasted for it on this forum).

    Further, as much as people want Adams to teach him the nuances of center play in the NBA, it's really quite futile until JAX has a working knowledge of the game. It's kind'a like teaching a promising neophyte "Beethoven's Fifth" before he's even mastered 'Chopsticks'.
    I don't think this was every really an option last year because Favors was sooooo unreliable. You don't just send a guy to Erie for a bag of chips and expect him back the next day. That's a long ways away from the team. Basically a total disconnect. Once the team is in Birmingham, it will be much easier to utilize the G-league properly.

    To this point, though, if there is a G-league this year, I'm assuming we wont just be able to call up and send people down very easily. There will probably multiple quarantine periods, etc. (one of the reasons why making multiple picks this year would've been pretty dumb). Does anyone have further info on the state of the G-League this season, if its been decided?

  5. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    There's people saying we should give up on Hayes, ship him out, sunk cost, etc. Don't listen to those people. Hayes has a good chance of being worth the investment, and we aren't in win now mode by any means. Just give him some time to develop.
    I have a lot of people talk to me on Twitter, and frequent 4 Pels mesaage boards and have literally never seen anybody say give up on Hayes and accept sunk cost

    Trade him as a package for other pieces...sure. but those teams aren't close to the same
    @mcnamara247

  6. #31
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    jacksonville,fl/new orleans
    Posts
    2,746
    seeing hayes play for us,,im banking on him to have his head and game together in the 22-23 season.....im hoping that we play him at PF with zion at the 3 and BI at the 2....

  7. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I have a lot of people talk to me on Twitter, and frequent 4 Pels mesaage boards and have literally never seen anybody say give up on Hayes and accept sunk cost

    Trade him as a package for other pieces...sure. but those teams aren't close to the same
    Lol a certain podcast on Monday, November 30 said that exact thing. I was absolutely appalled

    56 minute mark to be exact
    Last edited by pelafanatic; 12-02-2020 at 02:14 PM.

  8. #33
    I'm a bit skeptical of a Bledsoe Ball starting court in terms of reliable three point shooting. Bledsoe is a very streaky 3 point shooter and a lot of Ball's threes came with absolutely no one defending his three point shot. And Ball has some games where his outside shot completely deserts him (see the NBA bubble games). I think this is going to be our last year with Ball, and we're going to have to use the off season in a desperate bid to land a reliable three point shooter.

  9. #34
    With Zion and Adams starting the Pelicans needs someone who can space the floor, which is why I think Reddick will be in the starting 5. Im not sure who will be starting PG out of Bledsoe or Lonzo, but both will get a lot of minutes

    1 - Bledsoe or Lonzo
    2 - Reddick
    3 - Ingram
    4 - Zion
    5 - Adams

  10. #35
    Hayes should get plenty of minutes. I’m not sure about Kira and NAW considering how guard heavy we are

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Hayes should get plenty of minutes. I’m not sure about Kira and NAW considering how guard heavy we are
    The FO is OBSESSED with NAW right now, and he is gonna get minutes. I wouldnt say he is the biggest reason Gentry is gone, but he is a reason the FO was upset with Gentry and a reason Moore and Frank arent back.

  12. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The FO is OBSESSED with NAW right now, and he is gonna get minutes. I wouldnt say he is the biggest reason Gentry is gone, but he is a reason the FO was upset with Gentry and a reason Moore and Frank arent back.
    Interesting. And I have to say I agree with the FO that Gentry was guilty in mishandling Nickeil

  13. #38
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,455
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The FO is OBSESSED with NAW right now, and he is gonna get minutes. I wouldnt say he is the biggest reason Gentry is gone, but he is a reason the FO was upset with Gentry and a reason Moore and Frank arent back.
    Obsessed in that they think he has much more potential and was held back with lack of playing time last year?

  14. #39
    Doesn't take much to see the FO and SVG really like NAW. Almost every interview SVG mentions him as a standout. Plus the kid speaks as if he really understands the game. Talking being able to finish better this year.

    I didn't want to say much, but I definitely noticed.Very hopeful he takes a major step forward this year. Otherwise the guard rotation could be a mess.

  15. #40
    The primary objective of the first half of the season is figuring out what Lonzo is (placeholder or fixture)l everything else is secondary. If it's determined he is a placeholder...both Lewis and NAW should be inserted in the starting group with Bledsoe and Hart coming of the bench. And, Lonzo and JJ should be shipped out at mid-year.

    Regardless, I do not want the team to repeat history and 'NAW' Kira Lewis....either play him or 'G League' him.

  16. #41
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,455
    Heard an interview on SiriusXM with NAW prior to the 2019 draft and he was very impressive. Even the interviewers commented after the interview how great an interview he was and how he really understood the nuances of the game. Watching him last year, I was surprised it was the same guy. I hope he makes a big improvement this year and becomes part of the rotation.

  17. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Heard an interview on SiriusXM with NAW prior to the 2019 draft and he was very impressive. Even the interviewers commented after the interview how great an interview he was and how he really understood the nuances of the game. Watching him last year, I was surprised it was the same guy. I hope he makes a big improvement this year and becomes part of the rotation.
    Similar to Ball, a lot of it is mental (and to be fair to NAW he was a rookie so he has a little leeway). The biggest issue Gentry had was he would opt for Moore and such the second NAW made a mistake and glue him to the bench. You don?t do that to young players. You don?t give them sporadic playing time. Gentry was more concerned about his job than he was about coaching for the team which said enough for me to fire him.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •