Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans want Steven Adams

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Do we get bird rights and what would you peg the likelihood of signing him long-term if he fits well?
    Yeah get Adams Bird Rights

12 mil per next contract would be reasonable, but as Mac says, rarely does a player go from 27 mil to 12 mil on the same team. If they do the reduction it's usually for another squad

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Overt View Post
    I think Adams is a very good player to this year and clean near 28 millions to next season. We should take a look to the 2021-22 free agency.

So far:

C: S. Adams/ J. Hayes
    PF: Zion/ Melli
    SF: B. Ingram/ J. Hart
    SG: E. Bledsoe/J.J. Reddick
    PG: L. Ball/K. Lewis/N. Alexander-Walker
    Bledsoe isn't an effective combo guard. He's probably going to stay at point.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Playoffs all depends on Zion. If Zion had been healthy all of last season and hadn?t fallen behind by half a year, we would very likely have been in the playoffs. How strong will the 8th seed be this year? It was very weak last year. That is the question.
    I see no reason (not withstanding injuries) we can't seriously aspire for the playoffs (and I'm not talking about backing in with the 8th seed). Why?

1. We now have an ironman at Center who can be counted on (Favors missed a month with injury and family issues last year - Remember 13 game losing streak)
    2. WE now have a coach that will provide structure, places a premium on defense, will hold players accountable has a reputation as a great 'in-game coach. Bless his heart, but Alvin just rolled the ball out there and said, "Okay, boys, PLAY!!! See you after the game".
    3. OKC will take a step back as will Houston. I know PHX, MEM, and GS(??) are apt to be better, but no better than us IMO.

NOTE: Has anyone heard anything about E'Twaun? Just curious.
    Last edited by As I See It; 11-21-2020 at 11:16 AM.

I don’t see us re-signing Adams (for a reasonable price anyways) unless we bring in someone like Beal next season and establish our core 5. The question will obviously be- how good is Kira?

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    I think more details came out... We traded Bledsoe as well. I'll see what I can dig up
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    lol
    Lol hold up I'm still digging. Don't crucify me yet!

JJ's podcast acknowledges the move lol
    Basketball.

Didn't see it here yet. Redick DHOs are about to explode.

Lol hold up I'm still digging. Don't crucify me yet!
    lol

lol
    Okay I read something wrong, nevermind crucify me lol

Okay I read something wrong, nevermind crucify me lol
    But you're so close! Keep pushing!

Loved Adam’s for a long time. As soon as the New Jersey’s are available going to get one with Adam’s on the back.

Yeah get Adams Bird Rights

12 mil per next contract would be reasonable, but as Mac says, rarely does a player go from 27 mil to 12 mil on the same team. If they do the reduction it's usually for another squad
    A 28 year old center like him will get a lot more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    You'd think so

Yep, cause non-superstar centres are just getting the biggest paycheques in the world these days.

But I'm not sure what the demand for a starting centre will be like next season. If demand is low, it will drive his price down

Not being able to stretch the floor also hurts. It was nowhere as big of a deal 4 rears ago when he signed this big contract

15 should probably do it
    Last edited by AusPel; 11-21-2020 at 12:01 PM.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    In awe at the size of this lad. Absolute unit.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    In awe at the size of this lad. Absolute unit.
    It's mostly CGI though

see

The more I think about it, the less I like it. The pick isn’t as good and the player is better, but overall I am just getting Omer Asik vibes. Too much investment for a player at the easiest position to fill in the NBA. Lots of leverage for him next year (you can’t let him walk for nothing!). A solid rotation player in George Hill and 3 picks, a late first and two probable high second rounders, strikes me as an absurd. If the Pels have to move prospects like NAW to salary match, it goes from being a bad trade to an incredibly short-sighted one which could be disaster if he ends up being a player. There is a world where the Bucks remain good where the return for Holiday and the return for Adams end up being similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    The more I think about it, the less I like it. The pick isn’t as good and the player is better, but overall I am just getting Omer Asik vibes. Too much investment for a player at the easiest position to fill in the NBA. Lots of leverage for him next year (you can’t let him walk for nothing!). A solid rotation player in George Hill and 3 picks, a late first and two probable high second rounders, strikes me as an absurd. If the Pels have to move prospects like NAW to salary match, it goes from being a bad trade to an incredibly short-sighted one which could be disaster if he ends up being a player. There is a world where the Bucks remain good where the return for Holiday and the return for Adams end up being similar.
    What are the odds that any of those picks turn into a player even close to as good as Adams?

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    The more I think about it, the less I like it. The pick isn?t as good and the player is better, but overall I am just getting Omer Asik vibes. Too much investment for a player at the easiest position to fill in the NBA. Lots of leverage for him next year (you can?t let him walk for nothing!). A solid rotation player in George Hill and 3 picks, a late first and two probable high second rounders, strikes me as an absurd. If the Pels have to move prospects like NAW to salary match, it goes from being a bad trade to an incredibly short-sighted one which could be disaster if he ends up being a player. There is a world where the Bucks remain good where the return for Holiday and the return for Adams end up being similar.
    Omer vibes is a bit extreme but I tend to agree

Having said that, you're paying a premium to have a year of Adams and then not having to go into as much of a ******** fight as everyone in the general public to re-sign him

The first and the better of the two very good seconds probably should have been enough
    Last edited by AusPel; 11-21-2020 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    What are the odds that any of those picks turn into a player even close to as good as Adams?
    Still, you need to take those unsullied assets at perceived value, not how they might or might not perform once you drive them off the lot

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Unless you are trading a very high draft pick for a very mediocre player, the odds of this will always favor the established player because most drafted players don?t become much. But while that?s true, if you use that logic to build your team you end up being the Dell Demps Pelicans. I think there is very little chance that Adams exceeds the amount of value that we are paying him on this or his next contract if he were to resign for an expected salary. I think there is a much higher chance that those draft picks could exceed the value that they are being paid or acquire a player who is a value on his contract at a harder to fill position.

Still, you need to take those unsullied assets at perceived value, not how they might or might not perform once you drive them off the lot
    Sure but at the same time you can't hold them as sacred. The vast vast vast majority of 2nd round picks result in literally nothing for the team that uses them. There are exceptions but they're rare. And while they're often available, teams very rarely successfully pick up guys who are strong starter calibre players in the late first round.

I get wanting to be sensible, and I agree that picks have value and you shouldn't be silly about them, but if you get yourself to the point where you're refusing to trade a 2024 second rounder in a deal for a starter calibre player then you're being sillier than Danny Ainge has ever been about assets, and we all know how much he gets clowned.

Thread Information