.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 129

Thread: Welcome Kira Lewis {merged}

  1. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Has anyone ever gone from being too skinny and had like a growth spurt or packed on the muscle and didn’t lose something else to their game?
    Not that I can think of.

    The way forward for guys like Kira is less to add 30lbs or muscle or whatever, and more to add some weight but focus more on core-strength training. That's what Curry did just before GS took off as a dynasty, and it showed massively. He got larger, just naturally as he aged which happens to everyone, but you can see where the added core strength and balance started paying off: in 2011/12 he shot 56% at the rim. In 2012/13, 58%. 2013/14, 62%.

    Then he went 68%, 70%, 65%, 67%, 65%, 70% over the next several years up until last season. Just the leap in his ability to finish went soaring up, and you can see that reflected in his Free Throw Rate as well, which has never actually been that high for a superstar but which went from about 19% his first four years up to 26% since.

    If Kira can do that, where he just adds that core strength and improves his balance, along with the natural weight that aging into an adult body brings, I don't see any need for him to try and hit 200lbs or something.
    Cade Cunningham/Usman Garuba/Scottie Barnes/Moses Moody/Brandon Boston Jr endorser.

    Eye test people: analytics people watch more basketball than you do.

  2. #77
    Over the final 13 games of the season, Kira shot 42.5% from 3 on nearly 6 attempts per game. Had Kira shot above 40% from 3 on the year, how much higher does he go in this draft?

    Are we a bit blinded by his speed and not giving him enough credit for his jumper? He's lightyears ahead of where guys with similar speed profiles, Ja/Fox/Conley, were in terms of shooting it in their age 18 seasons. Kira was in the 82nd percentile on pull up jump shots at 36%. I think as he continues to add strength in his lower body, there's potentially an elite shooter here to go along with lightning speed.

  3. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Over the final 13 games of the season, Kira shot 42.5% from 3 on nearly 6 attempts per game. Had Kira shot above 40% from 3 on the year, how much higher does he go in this draft?

    Are we a bit blinded by his speed and not giving him enough credit for his jumper? He's lightyears ahead of where guys with similar speed profiles, Ja/Fox/Conley, were in terms of shooting it in their age 18 seasons. Kira was in the 82nd percentile on pull up jump shots at 36%. I think as he continues to add strength in his lower body, there's potentially an elite shooter here to go along with lightning speed.
    Yeah I think the jumper is real. I mentioned that 82nd percentile stat in my first post of this thread back on page one, and I think it's salient. He was an 80% FT shooter as well this year, and while his percentages weren't blindingly flashy, he was taking them on a solid volume and with decent versatility as well: he was taking pull-ups, it wasn't just catch and shoot looks. That's very important for a shooting projection. Pull up shooting is far more valuable than c&s stuff.

  4. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yeah I think the jumper is real. I mentioned that 82nd percentile stat in my first post of this thread back on page one, and I think it's salient. He was an 80% FT shooter as well this year, and while his percentages weren't blindingly flashy, he was taking them on a solid volume and with decent versatility as well: he was taking pull-ups, it wasn't just catch and shoot looks. That's very important for a shooting projection. Pull up shooting is far more valuable than c&s stuff.
    Yea sorry if I repeated anything. Jumping threads, it gets hard to keep track.

    Pull up shooting is his path to being the third member of our core, IMO.

  5. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Yea sorry if I repeated anything. Jumping threads, it gets hard to keep track.

    Pull up shooting is his path to being the third member of our core, IMO.
    It's not a big deal, no need to apologise. I wasn't complaining, I was just pointing out that it's definitely a fact that I agree should be noted.

    The shot looks good. There are some mild mild mild quibbles like how he has a fairly large dip on the catch, but even that's not too major and is the sort of thing that you expect to be reduced as he works with a good development staff. What's really encouraging to me is that he improved as a FT shooter and shot really well on what I tend to call ''touch'' shots, like floaters and push shots. Those are the kinds of awkward shots that really test how good a player's fine control is, and for Kira it was all encouraging stuff. Exactly the sort of thing you want to see to make you believe in a jumper.

  6. #81

  7. #82

  8. #83
    There's room on that frame for some added muscle. Just don't lose that speed

  9. #84
    It’s interesting to me that he added 15lbs and it doesn’t look like it. Maybe he can put on another 15 over time without hindering his speed.

  10. #85
    LOL people continue to let themselves be fooled by still photos and video. Go stand next to him then assess.

    I stood next to Chris Paul once and never realized I'm taller.

  11. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    LOL people continue to let themselves be fooled by still photos and video. Go stand next to him then assess.

    I stood next to Chris Paul once and never realized I'm taller.
    You are correct, I am going to go stand next to Kira Lewis right now, which is very easy for everyone to do.

  12. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    LOL people continue to let themselves be fooled by still photos and video. Go stand next to him then assess.

    I stood next to Chris Paul once and never realized I'm taller.
    Baron Davis worked out in the weight room at Tulane's Reily Center. He is listed at 6'3" in Basketball Reference and he is shorter than I am (6'0"). He had better hops than I did, however.

  13. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    You are correct, I am going to go stand next to Kira Lewis right now, which is very easy for everyone to do.
    Or, not make conclusions based on a video. Even easier... and obvious.

  14. #89

  15. #90
    Unstoppable! GuardianAngel25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NOLA
    Posts
    8,291
    Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    Excluding his play in the bubble, Lonzo was on a very positive trajectory last season. I can see the reasoning to be decisive and say 'well, we're not sold, and don't want to match a stupid offer, lets move on now'. But shooting is one of those things that can get better with age. If it was his awareness, or lack of defense, or his attitude, then maybe. But Lonzo's issue was his horrid shooting form, and that is being fixed, and just needs reps... Lots and lots of reps. Vincent is one guy we kept on, and he got credited with the work on Lonzo's shooting form, I think the team is going to trust that process.

    Kira compliments Lonzo well and vice versa. I can see Lonzo spending time in the spot up/floor spacer role while Kira's on the court and I started to trust Lonzo as a spot up shooter pre-covid. Kira will beat everyone down the floor with or without the ball and Lonzo is the best full court passer in the league, could mean a lot of easy hoops. Having two guys on the floor that can run the offense gives you an advantage where the other team can't stifle you with one defensive specialist.

    If I'm Griff I'm letting Lonzo set his own value. Maybe he tanks maybe he excels, maybe he just proves to be above average at everything and have elite passing (which is my suspicion) I don't think he'll command max offers based on that.
    Exactly what I?m thinking is Lonzo needs to be out in Jrues role as a combo guard. Let him handle the ball while sharing with the many other players who will need the ball. I think if Lonzo just slightly increases on his spot up long ball from how he started last season he can be a very good 3pt shooting wing. He is 6?7 and perfectly capable of guarding any SG in the NBA and will likely be better guarding that position. You can have Kira/NAW run the PG position with Lonzo/JJ at SG spot. I really think Lonzo will be very good in Jrues role but taking on less of the scoring due to other players needing those shots.

  16. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Did the shot go in???

  17. #92
    Damn Lonzo bots on twitter having a hissy fit.

    Meanwhile...


  18. #93
    I keep wanting to call him Kee-rah like in Akira

    Surely Kyra is Ky-rah

  19. #94
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,841
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I keep wanting to call him Kee-rah like in Akira

    Surely Kyra is Ky-rah
    Speaking of Anime, his named is spelled the same as Death Note's Kira(Light Yagami). On a darker note, in the anime it meant killer lol that's not the Japanese translation though


    R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

  20. #95
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,791
    Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Over the final 13 games of the season, Kira shot 42.5% from 3 on nearly 6 attempts per game. Had Kira shot above 40% from 3 on the year, how much higher does he go in this draft?

    Are we a bit blinded by his speed and not giving him enough credit for his jumper? He's lightyears ahead of where guys with similar speed profiles, Ja/Fox/Conley, were in terms of shooting it in their age 18 seasons. Kira was in the 82nd percentile on pull up jump shots at 36%. I think as he continues to add strength in his lower body, there's potentially an elite shooter here to go along with lightning speed.
    Good to hear him up there with those guys.

  21. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by wuggie View Post
    Speaking of Anime, his named is spelled the same as Death Note's Kira(Light Yagami). On a darker note, in the anime it meant killer lol that's not the Japanese translation though

    So is Lonzo L? Haha
    PSA: Not a single elite poster or pels "insider" predicted the Cousins trade, Jrue to the Bucks, or the Adams trade. They didn't know about the Adams extension before Woj and Shams reported it and no one connected us to Kira Lewis in the draft.

    Because there ARE no elite posters/insiders. We're all equals in Pels Fandom.

    "There is only so much film an amateur can watch before they begin to think they know more than they do."

    - Abraham Lincoln

  22. #97
    One thing I'm really looking forward to is seeing Kira's improvement under Vinson. We all know that shooting coaches can't actually change the world, the players have to put in the time and the effort and huge changes don't happen overnight (and with no real offseason, Kira won't have much time before the season starts to actually work on things) but over time, I think that's going to be fun. The raw material for Kira is there.

    As others have noted, he was a legitimately good shooter in college. Not mindblowingly good or anything, but he was a career 36% shooter on 304 attempts in college (110/304) which is solid efficiency on solid volume, and that included difficult pull-up shots. When you add to that being a good (if not incredible) FT shooter at basically 80% on his career over about 250 attempts, and then his solid efficiency from floater range, as well as his improvement from 48% to 51% from 2pt range between his freshman and sophomore seasons, as well as still being so young?

    I feel like while you can't really assume anyone will become a Curry/Lillard calibre shooter, Kira has it in him to be at least 38, 39% on relatively high volume including effective pull-ups, which would be huge.

  23. #98
    I don't see anything wrong with Kira's release

  24. #99
    Does Kira Lewis remind anyone else of De’Aaron Fox? Same exact size and ultra quick.

  25. #100
    Yeah they're quite similar, Kira is an inch taller

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •