Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2020 NBA Draft: Call Your Shot

2020 NBA Draft: Call Your Shot

Draft is in 16 days - Call Your Shot.

You get to pick 3 players that you think could be the Pelicans choice with their first pick. Who you got and what is it that makes you think those will be the guys Griff and Trajan will target:

Mine:

Josh Green
    Precious Achiuwa
    Patrick Williams

Quite simply, I think our FO believes in gambling on outlier athleticism and/or frame. I think they are going to go young, because they dont envision their rookie playing anyway - so he will spend the majority of the year in the G League (if there is a G League this year). I believe they swing for the fences, rather than drafting a higher floor/lower ceiling guy. And I believe they lean defense over another potential high usage guy - which is why I dont have Poku in my top 3, even though he makes a lot of sense. If I had a 4th, I'd actually pick Maxey.

Thats my guess - what do you guys got?
    @mcnamara247

1. Patrick Williams- versatile defender who can play 3/4
    2. Aaron Nesmith- shooting period.
    3. Saddiq Bey- all around forward who comes from a program that produces ready made NBA contributors.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 11-02-2020 at 08:57 AM.

I believe if what's been stated by SVG and Griffin is the importance of high character, hard workers, athleticism, and diverse big men with the ability to play the perimeter. SVG in all of his coaching career has valued perimeter big men from Hedo, Rashad Lewis, Tobias Harris, Blake Griffin. With that in mind here is my top 3

Pat Williams/ Jalen Smith (Don't think Pat Williams will be there)
    Precious
    Poku

Poku may be a long shot, but I believe based on what we have seen with Didi, they are perfectly fine with allowing players to play elsewhere and his unique athleticism, passing, and hard working characteristics (of what I've seen ) will be a worthy gamble.

Precious high motor and athleticism would certainly be a selling point, but I think they prefer players with feel for the game and non turnover prone. Same applies with Smith, however he has a perimeter game and can stretch the floor but my God his feel for the game is not the greatest.

Pat Williams is....well Pat Williams. Immense potential, young and can possibly contribute briefly by next season (2021).

Other players that can be late picks due to floor spacing, high iq, and bringing commitment defensively is Flynn, Bane, and Ty Jones from Duke.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I believe if what's been stated by SVG and Griffin is the importance of high character, hard workers, athleticism, and diverse big men with the ability to play the perimeter. SVG in all of his coaching career has valued perimeter big men from Hedo, Rashad Lewis, Tobias Harris, Blake Griffin. With that in mind here is my top 3

Pat Williams/ Jalen Smith (Don't think Pat Williams will be there)
    Precious
    Poku

Poku may be a long shot, but I believe based on what we have seen with Didi, they are perfectly fine with allowing players to play elsewhere and his unique athleticism, passing, and hard working characteristics (of what I've seen ) will be a worthy gamble.

Precious high motor and athleticism would certainly be a selling point, but I think they prefer players with feel for the game and non turnover prone. Same applies with Smith, however he has a perimeter game and can stretch the floor but my God his feel for the game is not the greatest.

Pat Williams is....well Pat Williams. Immense potential, young and can possibly contribute briefly by next season (2021).

Other players that can be late picks due to floor spacing, high iq, and bringing commitment defensively is Flynn, Bane, and Ty Jones from Duke.
    I agree with all this except the Jalen Smith part. Look at all the bigs you listed -- yes, they can shoot. But they are also ball handlers and passers. Thats what SVG was talking about when he was saying big, skilled guys. Basically, 6'10 guys who have guard skills. And Smith doesnt have guard skills. He just shoots better than most bigs

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I agree with all this except the Jalen Smith part. Look at all the bigs you listed -- yes, they can shoot. But they are also ball handlers and passers. Thats what SVG was talking about when he was saying big, skilled guys. Basically, 6'10 guys who have guard skills. And Smith doesnt have guard skills. He just shoots better than most bigs
    That's a fair assessment.

Huge difference between who *I* would pick and who I think any given team *will* pick.

Something like:
    - Patrick Williams
    - Tyrese Maxey
    - Aaron Nesmith

I feel like are all plausible picks we could make. Anyone who knows me knows that I wouldn't take Nesmith there, but general consensus is fairly high on him so it could happen. I'd like Patrick Williams, although I feel like he might go just before 13. Maxey would be a pick I'm happy with, but I don't think it would be the most thrilling.

I'm very happy to be wrong though, I'm just kinda guessing off vibes. Not confident at all in saying these are accurate.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Huge difference between who *I* would pick and who I think any given team *will* pick.

Something like:
    - Patrick Williams
    - Tyrese Maxey
    - Aaron Nesmith

I feel like are all plausible picks we could make. Anyone who knows me knows that I wouldn't take Nesmith there, but general consensus is fairly high on him so it could happen. I'd like Patrick Williams, although I feel like he might go just before 13. Maxey would be a pick I'm happy with, but I don't think it would be the most thrilling.

I'm very happy to be wrong though, I'm just kinda guessing off vibes. Not confident at all in saying these are accurate.
    See -- I would take Nesmith but I dont think the team will. I think they go top tier athleticism and defense-first as their priorities. I would be suprised if they took a guy whose offense was clearly ahead of his defense.

Also - I am curious if you have watched any of their interviews and those Mike Schmitz film breakdowns? Or do you do your evaluation mostly off just game tape? Because I love those film breakdown things to see the type of people they are. I would never take Edwards, for instance, after seeing how dumb he was/is. Meanwhile, guys like Terry and Maxey came off like head coaches in those things. Nesmith seemed really mature and intelligent too.

I just think this team needs character, maturity, and leadership as much as they need skill set when they make these picks and thats why I think this process is hard for those of us who dont have access to these guys to interview them. I think the interview and character stuff would be like half of my overall evaluation if I were the GM making the call

See -- I would take Nesmith but I dont think the team will. I think they go top tier athleticism and defense-first as their priorities. I would be suprised if they took a guy whose offense was clearly ahead of his defense.

Also - I am curious if you have watched any of their interviews and those Mike Schmitz film breakdowns? Or do you do your evaluation mostly off just game tape? Because I love those film breakdown things to see the type of people they are. I would never take Edwards, for instance, after seeing how dumb he was/is. Meanwhile, guys like Terry and Maxey came off like head coaches in those things. Nesmith seemed really mature and intelligent too.

I just think this team needs character, maturity, and leadership as much as they need skill set when they make these picks and thats why I think this process is hard for those of us who dont have access to these guys to interview them. I think the interview and character stuff would be like half of my overall evaluation if I were the GM making the call
    Yeah I loved Schmitz's interviews this year, I think they were some of the most valuable drafting material in years. It's hard to judge a prospects mentality because generally all we have is brief interview segments that never go into detail, or rumours that we can't really substantiate.

To have a direct, 20+ minute sit-down interview including film breakdown is really really useful. LaMelos, for example, was dismal. Okoro's was pretty good as well. It's nice to finally have a draft resource where you get a direct look into the thought process of a player, extremely valuable.

Patrick Williams would fit well here. NBC thoughts

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/wa...s-after-finals

[QUOTE]Measurables: 6-foot-8, 225 pounds

Team Needs

This is a team packed with young talent on the rise. They have solid pieces at the one, three, four and five and a nice veteran holdover in J.J. Redick at the two. They need depth and shooting, like every team in the league, especially with Redick turning 36 in June. They could also use more size at the three.

Why Williams?

New Orleans needs shooters, but they also need some versatility at the forward position and a player that will defend. Williams has nice size and length to play switching defense in the modern NBA. He?s raw offensively, but the Pelicans don?t have an issue scoring and they can mold him into the type of player they need.

[QUOTE]
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 11-02-2020 at 11:33 AM.

1. Kira Lewis - tremendous upside pairs well with a team heavy on PD; doesn't need to play heavy minutes right away

2. Jalen Smith - Has every tool you look for in a dynamic stretch 4; added 30 lbs (reportedly) between fresh/soph and improved Ft% to 75%; reportedly has added more weight heading into the draft; already has a smooth and confident mid-range/3 pt jumper; plus can rebound/rim protect

3. Saddiq Bey - really torn between Bey and P Williams; not sure Williams still on the board at 13, but lower body stiffness scares me; Saddiq limited as a shot creator (as is Williams) at this point, but has shown better bball iq/willingness to be a playmaker (some players just never become interested in this); you just know he knows how to play coming out of a Villanova Jay Wright program. Glue guy with length
    Last edited by luckyman; 11-02-2020 at 05:26 PM.

I have talked myself into and out of half the players projected to go in the first round. If the Pelicans stayed at 13, I originally thought that either Aaron Nesmith or Saddiq Bey would be the best picks, but would be reaching to take them that high. Now that they are projected to go in that range, other players have passed them in my ranking of best fit and value for the Pelicans. As with others, what I would like to see and what I think will happen are pretty far apart. Assuming that other preferred players (Hayes, Okongwu, Halliburton, Vassell, Williams) will be off the board at 13, I would like to see the Pelicans take Tyrese Maxey, Jalen Smith or Precious Achiuwa. But even with Nesmith and Bey still available, I am looking for New Orleans to pick someone that I don't want or is just meh.

So my trio of guesses will be Poku, Cole Anthony or RJ Hampton. They could be enticed by the length, 3pt shooting and ball handling of Poku, but I see a guy that moves too slowly for the NBA. Too much maturation needed for me to take him this high. Anthony was considered by some to be in the top tier of players just a few months ago, but has settled into the mid-teens, early 20s player he probably should have been all along. He has some skills, but would just be a letdown selection for me, since I don't see a special player in Anthony. He could have a long career, but is the type of player that a team is always looking to upgrade on. Hampton may be one of those guys that a team looks at his supposed skill set and projects a star future, but in the little I have seen him, I don't get it. Maybe they see him differently. This may be more of a list of what I am afraid will happen rather than a projection of what will.
    Last edited by Mount Zion; 11-02-2020 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mount Zion View Post
    So my trio of guesses will be Poku, Cole Anthony or RJ Hampton. They could be enticed by the length, 3pt shooting and ball handling of Poku, but I see a guy that moves too slowly for the NBA. Too much maturation needed for me to take him this high. Anthony was considered by some to be in the top tier of players just a few months ago, but has settled into the mid-teens, early 20s player he probably should have been all along. He has some skills, but would just be a letdown selection for me, since I don't see a special player in Anthony. He could have a long career, but is the type of player that a team is always looking to upgrade on. Hampton may be one of those guys that a team looks at his supposed skill set and projects a star future, but in the little I have seen him, I don't get it. Maybe they see him differently. This may be more of a list of what I am afraid will happen rather than a projection of what will.
    Just to make the argument for these three guys:

Poku: Has a long way to go, but he's 7 feet tall with legitimate creation abilities, frankly insane vision and creativity, and projects well as a shooter off the dribble as well as off the catch, as well as creating huge numbers of defensive events. Obviously he needs time to iron out the flaws in his game, put on weight and work on things moving to the next level since the league he played in wasn't very good, but it's the same league that Giannis played in pre-NBA. The important thing for me is that if you play against bad competition, you have to dominate, and Poku did that. These attributes are super rare and if it pans out, the upside is absurd, even if the chance of that happening is low.

Cole: He came into this class projected as a top 5 pick, and for a number of reasons that has changed. He was in an awful team context at UNC and he had injury issues, these things are true and have to be accounted for, but there were also problems like a general lack of burst and finishing touch. On the other hand, the skills he did show consistently are some of the most valuable skills in the NBA: Pull up shooting, where he was very very good indeed, and team defense, where again he was good. He doesn't project as a primary initiator anymore, at least not a good one, but he's a really good secondary guard prospect still.

Hampton: If you buy into Hampton, you do it on two things: one is the burst, two is the development curve. Firstly, he's got really impressive burst which is hugely important for guards in the NBA especially if they want to ever create in the halfcourt. Secondly, he's improved so consistently over time it's hard to assume he's just going to randomly stop at such a young age: it's easy to project improvement for him. For example, at the start of his NBL season, he was a really pretty forgettable passer: by the end, he was making good reads in the PnR and the full-court, passing off the bounce, making skip passes, etc. That kind of improvement is huge, and encouraging, especially when combined with his burst. His recognition is probably still too low for him to project as a high level NBA initiator, but again, as a secondary guard prospect he's still pretty enticing. Which, in a draft this poor, is good value for a pick in the teens.

This was honestly the worst draft that we could have had extra time for.

So many of the tiers are so flat (for example, you could pick Malachi Flynn anywhere from 15 to 35 and I'd be like, sure) that a lot of players seem interchangeable, even if they aren't, and that means that when you get way too much time to think about them, certain names inevitably get brought up as being better than they are.

For example, Precious Achiuwa is an interesting character, has some upside but tons of huge holes in his game. Normal year, he gets thought about a bit, maybe some brief hype after a highlight video goes viral and all the ''I Do My Draft Scouting On HoopsHype'' people see him for the first time, but ends up settling somewhere in the 20s and nobody blinks. This year, because people have had way too long to think about things, his hype has come back around and now people are arguing for him as a potential top 10 pick (not necessarily on here, but I've seen it a surprising amount), which he certainly is not.

Also, without NBA content to distract them into October, November, a lot of people who normally don't pay any attention to the draft are taking a look at it for the first time ever, and consequently don't really know what to look for or how to evaluate, which leads to a lot of really really awful arguments and comparisons. My least favourite comparison of the year (perhaps almost as bad as last year's ''Rui Hachimura is the next Kawhi Leonard'' take) is Obi Toppin to Anthony Davis.

Obi Toppin, one of the stiffest, least laterally mobile, least flexible, least defensively talented prospects in this draft, is like Anthony Davis, a player renowned for his flexible, multiple positional ground coverage and versatile defensive acumen both near and far from the basket. Even if you like Toppin, you have to recognise that comparison is bunk.

Maybe for us, but I know some inside the organization have loved it because they have gotten to talk to more prospects for longer periods of time than ever before. Normally, you get 15 mins at the combine and maybe an hour or so on an individual day. And if you really love a guy you fly out to him and get another two hours or so.

There are guys we have talked to 6-8 times already. One thing is for sure -- whoever we take, we will know and love that guys character as much as his tape. And that is why I have Precious in my 3 most likely guys. That guy has a fire, work ethic, and hunger that kind of reminds me of a younger, bigger Kenneth Faried and I think Griff will love that.

Maybe for us, but I know some inside the organization have loved it because they have gotten to talk to more prospects for longer periods of time than ever before. Normally, you get 15 mins at the combine and maybe an hour or so on an individual day. And if you really love a guy you fly out to him and get another two hours or so.

There are guys we have talked to 6-8 times already. One thing is for sure -- whoever we take, we will know and love that guys character as much as his tape. And that is why I have Precious in my 3 most likely guys. That guy has a fire, work ethic, and hunger that kind of reminds me of a younger, bigger Kenneth Faried and I think Griff will love that.
    How would feel about a Precious and Desmond Bane draft? I can seriously see Griff and staff falling in love with their characters.

Cole Anthony.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Where does Cassius Stanley stand(ley)? Think he could be a target in the 2nd round? Could someone in the 1st round take him?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    How would feel about a Precious and Desmond Bane draft? I can seriously see Griff and staff falling in love with their characters.
    I think Bane is almost a clone of Courtney Lee when he came out and I think SVG would be on board with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Where does Cassius Stanley stand(ley)? Think he could be a target in the 2nd round? Could someone in the 1st round take him?
    I cant imagine he will go in the first and I hope we dont target him in the 2nd. The guys who flourish from the 2nd round almost always have the same profile and its the opposite of Stanley. Usually it is less athletic and/or undersized upperclassmen. If you have Stanley's athleticism and you fall to the 2nd round, that means there is so much wrong with your game that it is unrealistic you can fix it all.

Go for guys like Xavier Tillman, Payton Pritchard, Grant Riller, etc in the second round. History says those will be the guys who provide value

Yeah I'm talking about as a fan.

I do actually think he's a lot like a bigger Faried. Wonder what Faried's career ended up like.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    They could, but they shouldn't.

Think about it this way: Cassius Stanley is the second best prospect named Cassius in this draft, and the other one is barely 6 feet tall and is 22 already.

My wish list for our 4 picks remains the same as it was 2 months ago. POKUSEVSKI in round 1 and combine all second round picks (if necessary) to get KILLIAN TILLIE

Such a weird draft.

I'm still going Jalen Smith because he is the perfect fit alongside Zion in the SVG offense AND defense.

Poku does intrigue me......

Normally I would say that, observing Griffin's psyche and taking into account we have more draft picks than we could ever field, we are more likely to trade up than pick at 13.....but there just isn't anyone I can see us targeting....so for my 3rd I will go with Bey. I think his high bball IQ and motor attract the Pels more than PWilliams' athleticism.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 11-04-2020 at 02:25 AM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

I really like Precious Achiuwa. The only question is, could he play at positions 3-5? How about his shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    I really like Precious Achiuwa. The only question is, could he play at positions 3-5? How about his shooting?
    Precious is exceedingly raw. He shows some upside as a defender, but mostly as a big man defender: I would not trust him defending wings really at all. Think small-ball 5, energy guy. His shooting doesn't really exist right now. He shot about 32% on very low volume in college, and was a bad FT shooter. Right now on offense, he's best in transition. Some people have referred to him as being a bit like Kenneth Faried, and there's some truth to that, although his ceiling is probably a bit higher.

I wouldn't rule out any shooting at all, but it's years away. I wouldn't bet on it happening on his rookie deal, honestly, unless it was a huge focus for his development staff, and even then I don't really expect it to be much better than average for a big. For me, he's a pick better suited to the 20s than the teens.

Thread Information