.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 144

Thread: Coaching Updates

  1. #1

    Pelicans Coaching Updates



    So now we know. 9 candidates got serious consideration, that's been narrowed down to 3 or 4, final set of interviews over the next week or so. So expect an answer in the next two weeks or so, maybe? Not too much longer than that I'd assume.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 10-11-2020 at 04:22 PM.
    Tyrese Maxey/Isaac Okoro/Killian Tillie/Onyeka Okongwu/Devin Vassell endorser.

    Eye test people: analytics people watch more basketball than you do.

  2. #2
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Taker597's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,018
    Surprised names haven't leaked.

  3. #3
    Unstoppable! GuardianAngel25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NOLA
    Posts
    8,269
    Man I can’t wait! I’m excited whoever we get at this point. I trust Griffin and Langdon over any of us on who the hire should be. Although I have my favorites and it very well could be somebody I didn’t want I’ll be happy. If it’s Mark Jackson I won’t buy tickets. Only exception.

  4. #4
    The leader in the clubhouse is Kenny Atkinson (probably since March). He is the guy to beat out for the other prospects.

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    3,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post


    So now we know. 9 candidates got serious consideration, that's been narrowed down to 3 or 4, final set of interviews over the next week or so. So expect an answer in the next two weeks or so, maybe? Not too much longer than that I'd assume.
    Well that cleared things up.

  7. #7
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,767
    Get ready!!!!! It?s gonna be someone really good.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    ******** David griffin...can’t wait for him to leave

  9. #9
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    3,743
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlPelsFan View Post
    ******** David griffin...can’t wait for him to leave
    What is wrong with you?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    What is wrong with you?
    Don't worry about Matty Ice. He's still trying to recover from loss in Super Bowl LI after leading the Patriots 28 - 9 in the fourth quarter. He's never been the same. FUMBLE!!!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    What is wrong with you?
    I’ve cooled down enough to respond. Seeing ad win tonight and that smirk on lebron face pissed me off and all I could think about is how he is buddy buddy with griffin. I’m happy gentry is gone and now the eyes will be on griffin to show what he can do.

  12. #12
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,243
    My biggest concern is now that the Lakers are out of the bubble, Kidd is available.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    My biggest concern is now that the Lakers are out of the bubble, Kidd is available.
    If the team ended up interviewing already, and has whittled it down to 3 or 4 out of those 9, hard to imagine that Kidd is going to be part of that. Difficult to interview and whittle someone still in the bubble.

  14. #14
    Unless they whittled the 9 down to a couple PLUS Kidd and maybe another that were still in the bubble.

    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Surprised names haven't leaked.
    We don't have any beat writers with any real inside sources. The site used to have some fans with connections like 42 and Harvey Hornet but ever since they left, it's just been outsiders that do decent speculating but without any real info.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 10-12-2020 at 12:34 AM.
    BIG DON'T PANIC PICTURE SPAMMING YOUR THREADS!!!!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Unless they whittled the 9 down to a couple PLUS Kidd and maybe another that were still in the bubble.
    Well they interviewed the 9 that they whittled down from, according to Lopez. Obviously they didn't interview people still in the bubble, since Griff said weeks ago that the reason they hadn't started interviewing was that guys that they wanted to talk to were still in the bubble. So I doubt that Kidd just magically bypasses the entire process.

  16. #16
    It's not like these people haven't met each other before. They all have extensive history. Most of the first interviews were probaby formalities. Seeing if everyone is on the same page. I mean, I'm hoping Kidd is not a finalist but I could totally see a scenario where they let him breeze by a first meeting.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    It's not like these people haven't met each other before. They all have extensive history. Most of the first interviews were probaby formalities. Seeing if everyone is on the same page. I mean, I'm hoping Kidd is not a finalist but I could totally see a scenario where they let him breeze by a first meeting.
    If Kidd gets hired and then it comes out that he didn't even go through interview like everyone else did, it would make Griffin look like an enormous idiot. I am hoping, perhaps naively, that he isn't stupid enough to do that.

    It seems far more likely to me that Griffin does not have any particular undying drive to hire Kidd.

    Think of all the names that were outside of the bubble already. Lue, D'Antoni, MacMillan, Atkinson, Finch, Hammon, Udoka, Ham, Unseld Jr: is he really so short on options that he has to pull out all the stops to acquire Kidd? Seems unlikely to me.

  18. #18
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    If the team ended up interviewing already, and has whittled it down to 3 or 4 out of those 9, hard to imagine that Kidd is going to be part of that. Difficult to interview and whittle someone still in the bubble.
    While I want to believe that, Griffin already knows him pretty well. Definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    While I want to believe that, Griffin already knows him pretty well. Definitely not out of the realm of possibility.
    Oh for sure, I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying it's dumb and I hope Griff is smart enough not to do it.

  20. #20
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'm just saying it's dumb and I hope Griff is smart enough not to do it.
    Agreed

  21. #21

  22. #22
    Hollygrove 4 Life DroopyDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Too far from Home
    Posts
    6,051


    8:10 mark.

  23. #23
    Can confirm Windy is actually right on the SVG name. Surprised that got out. They've been keeping it pretty secret
    @mcnamara247

  24. #24
    I would actually really like SVG.

    It could just be recency bias because of hearing him so much as a commentator recently and him being just clearly so much better than guys like JVG and Mark Jackson at talking about the game, but I do like him.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I would actually really like SVG.

    It could just be recency bias because of hearing him so much as a commentator recently and him being just clearly so much better than guys like JVG and Mark Jackson at talking about the game, but I do like him.
    I have zero question regarding his ability to coach and know the game better than almost anyone on the planet. My favorite guest on the Lowe Post by far. The most balanced and insightful

    My lone question would be whether a 60 something year old white man who carries himself and complains/whines like he does is the perfect guy to set the culture for our team full of young, non-alpha black males. I personally was envisioning someone more hard nosed, maybe a little younger, and a person more able to connect with our guys. But maybe we get that with our assistant coaches.

    That is my lone concern with SVG. Whats most interesting about him is that he has had relationships and coached a lot of the mid tier free agents in this class that could make sense for the Pels - from Baynes to Augustin to KCP and several others.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •