Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Coaching Updates

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I have zero question regarding his ability to coach and know the game better than almost anyone on the planet. My favorite guest on the Lowe Post by far. The most balanced and insightful

My lone question would be whether a 60 something year old white man who carries himself and complains/whines like he does is the perfect guy to set the culture for our team full of young, non-alpha black males. I personally was envisioning someone more hard nosed, maybe a little younger, and a person more able to connect with our guys. But maybe we get that with our assistant coaches.

That is my lone concern with SVG. Whats most interesting about him is that he has had relationships and coached a lot of the mid tier free agents in this class that could make sense for the Pels - from Baynes to Augustin to KCP and several others.
    I absolutely understand that concern. In a perfect world, we would hire someone younger, at the very least, and I also agree that it would be nice if it wasn't just another white guy.

Your point about the relationships he has with other players is an interesting one as well. Someone like Baynes, just to pick a random name, would actually be a really interesting short term vet solution at the C position, and if SVG increases the likelihood of that acquisition that would be neat. Not a game changer, I think, but neat.
    Basketball.

And Redick often cites SVG as the coach he admires most. The one who really taught him to be a professional.

Yet another coach that, if hired, would allow us to stop with the Jrue to the Warriors type of trades. Griff isn't hiring a Lue or a Van Gundy and then giving them a roster of 19-23 year olds.
    @mcnamara247

Just to drop another source that isn't Windhorst

And Lue's interview is incoming also

Yeah, he has been the favorite of several guys behind the scenes for a while now. My guess is that the Pels are leaking this to show Lue and his reps that they have other options and wont be held hostage by their timeline and demands.

Ty Lue and Stan Van Gundy huh?

I mean at least it's not JASON KIDD. Right??

Yeah, he has been the favorite of several guys behind the scenes for a while now. My guess is that the Pels are leaking this to show Lue and his reps that they have other options and wont be held hostage by their timeline and demands.
    From everything I've heard (which is absolutely just stuff other people have put out, again, I have never claimed to have any sources and I'm not starting now) it seems like the job is basically Lue's if he wants it. But showing that our hands aren't tied and we have other good options is a good power move.

Quote Originally Posted by SeapeaNOLA View Post
    Ty Lue and Stan Van Gundy huh?

I mean at least it's not JASON KIDD. Right??
    I'd take Ty Lue or Stan Van any day honestly. They're both good options. They may not end up being the perfect fit for our team or future, but they're not bad choices at least on paper, and you'll never know that detail until you try.

I think people forget because of how disastrous the Pistons role was for him, but SVG was legitimately innovative and extremely successful in Orlando. The guy knows how to coach.

I'd be excited to try out a pupil of Riley/Spoelstra, someone who has had an education in how to build and cultivate what IMO is probably the best team culture in the NBA. That type of culture is, IMO, the ingredient that allows less talented teams to overachieve, and talented teams to waaay overachieve.

But they are all fired if they hire Kidd...

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I'd take Ty Lue or Stan Van any day honestly. They're both good options. They may not end up being the perfect fit for our team or future, but they're not bad choices at least on paper, and you'll never know that detail until you try.

I think people forget because of how disastrous the Pistons role was for him, but SVG was legitimately innovative and extremely successful in Orlando. The guy knows how to coach.
    I know for a fact he was very good with the Magic so I'm hoping he still has that in him. It's still not a choice I was thinking about, but it certainly isn't terrible. I'm kind of ambivalent about it. I really hope his Detroit stint had more to do with Detroit being a trash organization.

Quote Originally Posted by SeapeaNOLA View Post
    I know for a fact he was very good with the Magic so I'm hoping he still has that in him. It's still not a choice I was thinking about, but it certainly isn't terrible. I'm kind of ambivalent about it. I really hope his Detroit stint had more to do with Detroit being a trash organization.
    People often forget that SVG had GM duties in Detroit too, and he was bad at that. Didn't help.

By comparison, between Griff and Langdon, our team has GM type duties well and truly covered: SVG should not be involved with that beyond any regular coach. Letting him just do what he's good at, coaching, should help.

I think ultimately while SVG might not be the most thrilling choice for a lot of people, for a number of reasons, he's a choice that would be extremely difficult to actively dislike.

Do you know how high Kidd is on their list?

We were told weeks ago by a major decision maker there are two people (amongst those speculated) that have a zero percent chance at the job -- Kidd and Becky. I am assuming that hasnt changed

We were told weeks ago by a major decision maker there are two people (amongst those speculated) that have a zero percent chance at the job -- Kidd and Becky. I am assuming that hasnt changed
    As much as I would hate that to be true for Becky, I would accept it for that being true for Kidd.

That is great news (Kidd).

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Becky at 0%? Curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Becky at 0%? Curious.
    He is not going to take a huge risk on potentially the biggest hire of his life

Fans have the luxury about speculating about what a person COULD BE. The 5% chance that this unproven guy or that unproven girl could be the next Nick Nurse. For Griff, this isnt a fun game. This is his livlihood. He gets this coaching choice right, he likely gets new, multi million dollar contracts with the Pelicans. Gets it wrong, he is probably fired and is gonna have a hard time getting another GM job after blowing a chance with a young superstar (see: Dell Demps)

Its not because Becky was a woman, its because of her overall resume and Griff wouldnt have considered any man with the same resume. He is not betting his career on a hope and a prayer

I’m okay with SVG.

Griff. Could be throwing smokescreens out there. I say there is a guy we are not talking about that Griff wants and may get.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Just to drop another source that isn't Windhorst
    4 finalists, So Lue, SVG, Kenny, and ?????, who is the 4th? Will Weaver?

Quote Originally Posted by bogiesfedora View Post
    4 finalists, So Lue, SVG, Kenny, and ?????, who is the 4th? Will Weaver?
    I mean, where's the confirmation Kenny is in the top 4? I haven't seen it mentioned.

Remember I brought Mosley’s name up at beginning of summer! Pay attention!

https://www.mavs.com/team/coaches/jamahl-mosley/

Can someone point me to where Windhorst said Will Weaver and Jamahl Mosley are in the final 4? Have not been able to locate an actual source for this.

Edit: Just to clarify, Windhorst did say Jamahl Mosley, I forgot about that. Just rewatched the clip and he does say it. Still, Weaver?
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 10-13-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Thread Information