Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Doc Rivers might be looking for new scenery

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!

NBA Doc Rivers might be looking for new scenery

Would he be a nice fit or just another version of Alvin Gentry?

He's not another version of Gentry, but I'm still not interested in him. He's found a way to underachieve on basically every team he's coached for the last 12 years. Uncreative, boring offenses most years (the exception being the CP3 Clipper years, but the creativity there came from CP3 more than Doc, whose scheming was never great) and a decent defensive coach but not one who is great with adjustments. For evidence of this, see: this LAC/Nuggets series.

There's a risk of recency bias, I get that, but he's had a bevy of talent the last decade and never got anywhere with it, and gets constantly outcoached in the playoffs. Many people have referred to him as one of the NBAs most overrated coaches for years and I think they're right.
    Tyrese Maxey/Isaac Okoro/Killian Tillie/Onyeka Okongwu/Devin Vassell endorser.

Eye test people: analytics people watch more basketball than you do.

Doc Rivers in no way shape or form is similar to Gentry. Completely different coaching styles. Completely different histories.

How could that comparison even come up?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Doc Rivers in no way shape or form is similar to Gentry. Completely different coaching styles. Completely different histories.

So you are good with this?

He's not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    He's not going anywhere.
    How do you know that? The owner is very wealthy and not afraid to spend for change.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

Well this was before the choke job . Rumors and opinions seemed to be okay with Gentry as assistant.

https://clipperholics.com/2020/08/15...oaching-staff/

Again this was before choking

Let him look somewhere else

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    How do you know that? The owner is very wealthy and not afraid to spend for change.
    What would make you think he is looking for a change of scenery? Just because they lost the series? What indications have their been that this may be the case?

i dunno...i think Doc is kind of overrated, i think he can get the pels to the playoffs but not sure beyond that

Quote Originally Posted by ozwego15 View Post
    i dunno...i think Doc is kind of overrated, i think he can get the pels to the playoffs but not sure beyond that
    And what coaches are out there and available that you are SURE can get the Pelicans beyond that?
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    And what coaches are out there and available that you are SURE can get the Pelicans beyond that?

Not sure TBH.

What I was getting at is do we want a coach who will take us to the playoffs only to get eliminated in a quarter or conference final ever year? That's how i feel what you get with Doc.

I would honestly rather grow this team organically with a new coach the way Utah and Denver have built theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by ozwego15 View Post
    Not sure TBH.

What I was getting at is do we want a coach who will take us to the playoffs only to get eliminated in a quarter or conference final ever year? That's how i feel what you get with Doc.

I would honestly rather grow this team organically with a new coach the way Utah and Denver have built theirs.
    And when Denver loses this series and then loses in the next few ryears in early rounds of the playoffs, as Utah will as well, people will say "Malone and Snyder are good coaches to get you to the playoffs but are we sure they can get us further?"

As they do with 99% of coaches. And even the ones who do win it...long term, they dont get the credit. I mean, Tyron Lue got his team all the way there but he rode the coattails of Lebron. Years from now, when Nick Nurse is discussed for another job, some message board poster will type "Yeah, he's fine, but he really only won the title that one time because Kawhi carried them. Other than that, he was just a guy who got beat in the first or second round every year."

Doc Rivers is the Rick Carlisle. I would be interested in him if he was available, but I don’t think he puts you over the top. He has historically underwhelmed, and really if he doesn’t win that title over a decade ago is he thought of as anything more than Mike D’antoni?

I don’t know who gets you over the top. Nobody knew Kerr, Pops, Phil, etc. would have the success they were going to have, so the “tell me who gets you there“ comments seem pretty pointless, because nobody knows what will get you there.

The same people that make that comment also say “fans don’t know what a coach does.” Yet they can’t tell you what a coach does either. At some point you have to say “sir, this is an Arby’s drive through” and let them drive through.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 09-16-2020 at 04:40 PM.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

And when Denver loses this series and then loses in the next few ryears in early rounds of the playoffs, as Utah will as well, people will say "Malone and Snyder are good coaches to get you to the playoffs but are we sure they can get us further?"

As they do with 99% of coaches. And even the ones who do win it...long term, they dont get the credit. I mean, Tyron Lue got his team all the way there but he rode the coattails of Lebron. Years from now, when Nick Nurse is discussed for another job, some message board poster will type "Yeah, he's fine, but he really only won the title that one time because Kawhi carried them. Other than that, he was just a guy who got beat in the first or second round every year."
    And don't forget Doc Rivers, lol.

If Doc became available then yes we should be all over trying to sign this guy. I don’t see anyway he leaves LA after losing 1 series during a very weird year. Again no way do they let him go especially how this season was.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Doc Rivers is the Rick Carlisle. I would be interested in him if he was available, but I don’t think he puts you over the top. He has historically underwhelmed, and really if he doesn’t win that title over a decade ago is he thought of as anything more than Mike D’antoni?

I don’t know who gets you over the top. Nobody knew Kerr, Pops, Phil, etc. would have the success they were going to have, so the “tell me who gets you there“ comments seem pretty pointless, because nobody knows what will get you there.

The same people that make that comment also say “fans don’t know what a coach does.” Yet they can’t tell you what a coach does either. At some point you have to say “sir, this is an Arby’s drive through” and let them drive through.
    Is it fair to say Doc Rivers got that one ring due to coaching a dream team?

Frank Vogel laughs at you.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Is it fair to say Doc Rivers got that one ring due to coaching a dream team?
    I think it was a matter of right place, right time, right chemistry (which by and large all titles can be attributed to). The NBA hadn’t seen a Super Team like that, Rondo was an unknown, Posey/Powell/House were playing for contracts, the Pistons weren’t the Pistons of a few years prior, Gasol was just finding himself in LA. They had a lot of things fall in their favor. Doc had a good bit do with it, but it’s hard to make a coach look bad when you give him 3 future hall of game players.

To be fair to Doc I think they win that series 9 times out of 10. It’s actually a miracle that the Nuggets are playing this well and I honestly hope they take the title at this point.

Having said that, their janky offense caught up with them. That is probably more down to the personnel than Doc himself, but when you rely on such an iso heavy offense like that your big time players have to show up (or your supporting cast have to play like allstars). Otherwise opposing teams can shut you down and take control of the game. If the Clips has anything resembling a decent floor general they take that series. It was just a roster hastily thrown together.

For all his 'success' (?), name one young player who Doc groomed into an All Star-like contributor. Chris Paul? Blake Griffin? JJ Reddick? Ray Allen? Kevin Garnett? Paul Pierce? Rajon Rondo? Tracy McGrady? I don't think so. They were well-established long before Doc entering their worlds.

We need a coach who can build a team...not inherit one.
    If Lebron and Company are so concerned about social injustice, let them give up their Nike Multi Million Dollar Endorsements until working conditions improve for workers at Nike's sub-contractor sweatshops in China.

Say Cannon Hinnant's Name.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    To be fair to Doc I think they win that series 9 times out of 10. It’s actually a miracle that the Nuggets are playing this well and I honestly hope they take the title at this point.
    I don't think it's a miracle at all. People seem to forget that Denver was one of the best teams in the regular season, and that Jokic regularly elevates his play in the postseason. Murray's play has been an improvement, but he's also young enough that that's not really a surprise.

The Nuggets are a very good basketball team, and Jokic is a bona fide superstar, and their roster is actually reasonably well built. Nobody should be surprised that when they go against a team that had a serious lack of walkers compared to talkers, they end up pulling out the win.

Of course, you wouldn't expect it to be done in a 3-1 comeback, that part is a little unusual, but if someone had told me before the series that Denver will win in 7, that would not have shocked me.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post

Having said that, their janky offense caught up with them. That is probably more down to the personnel than Doc himself, but when you rely on such an iso heavy offense like that your big time players have to show up (or your supporting cast have to play like allstars). Otherwise opposing teams can shut you down and take control of the game. If the Clips has anything resembling a decent floor general they take that series. It was just a roster hastily thrown together.
    Exactly! Couldn’t have said it better. This was a simple case of players letting off the gas at the wrong times and their stars not showing up at the most important times. This happens! You can bet they will be coming back next year with a vengeance.

Lol if 'Not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven.' can be patient for a season, I do not think Ballmer is going to panic with regards to his championship-pedigree coach after a single season.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal4Pels View Post
    Lol if 'Not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven.' can be patient for a season, I do not think Ballmer is going to panic with regards to his championship-pedigree coach after a single season.
    No he should just panic and deal Paul George right? Ignore all of playoff Docs pitfalls but acknowledge everything wrong Paul George has done. Make sense..

Thread Information