.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
Results 826 to 850 of 984

Thread: Playoffs Thread

  1. #826
    First half was mixed back.

    On one hand, it's clear the Heat were trying out a bunch of stuff to see what works. Bam+Dragic PnR? Works. Super small wing lineup? Doesn't seem to work. That's cool, it's the first half of game one.

    On the other hand, both Butler and Dragic got injured so that's probably the series lol
    Tyrese Maxey/Isaac Okoro/Killian Tillie/Onyeka Okongwu/Devin Vassell endorser.

    Eye test people: analytics people watch more basketball than you do.

  2. #827
    Bam injured too.

    Lebron's 4th ring incoming

  3. #828

  4. #829
    It just sucks, I hoped it was going to be a good competitive series (and yes, I wanted Miami to win but I wouldn't have even minded LA winning too much cause I do think Lebron is the GOAT and him getting another ring helps that argument, so there was always upside there) and that potential has basically just been ruined.

    Jimmy's going to play because he's Jimmy but he was visibly hurt after that ankle sprain and it's probably going to impact him all series.
    Bam's shoulder took him out of Game 1, no idea how/if he'll be for the rest of the series. Again, he'll probably play but who knows if it will seriously impact his play.
    Dragic's probably out for the series.

    Gentleman's sweep by the Lakers is what it's looking like, and I only say that because there'll be some random game where Herro and Duncan combine to shoot 14/20 from 3 or something and just steal the game.

    It really is awful because in the first quarter, sure both teams were unrealistically hot from the field but it was looking like there was going to be some fun in this series. The Heat looked to have a few things LA was struggling with, and then pffft. Series over.

  5. #830
    AD's decision to essentially just have the hottest shooting stretch of his career in these playoffs helps, tbh. 66.3% TS in the playoffs prior to this game.

    AD's regular season shooting percentages:

    0-3 feet: 75.8%
    3-10 feet: 41.3%
    10-16 feet: 41.2%
    16-3pt line: 32.2%
    3pt: 33.0%

    AD's shooting percentages in the playoffs:

    0-3 feet: 83.1%
    3-10 feet: 53.8%
    10-16 feet: 39.1%
    16-3pt line: 56.9%
    3pt: 36.6%

    Just clear, huge increases everywhere except that short-midrange, where he's slightly worse but not by enough to make it a huge deal. Just absurd efficiency all around. Combine that with >80% FT maintained, as well as having his best passing post-season ever and being the clear best defender on the Lakers, there's a strong argument to be made that he's been the best player on the floor for the Lakers much of this post-season. Even his self-creation is at all time high levels for him: only about 59% of his shots from 2pt range are assisted. In his last post-season run with us, that was about 79%.

  6. #831


    welp

  7. #832


    lmao

  8. #833
    Let’s be honest- the Clippers were the only team that could’ve stopped the Lakers and they blew it by throwing away a 3-1 lead to Denver. It just sums up how perfectly everything fell into place for the Lakers. They played everyone 40 minutes a night in the regular season but guess what- none of that matters because of Covid. Two month break and a good chance for everyone to rest up. And even now that they don’t need any luck, the Heat drop like flies. You can’t make this stuff up. It’s fate

  9. #834
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Let’s be honest- the Clippers were the only team that could’ve stopped the Lakers and they blew it by throwing away a 3-1 lead to Denver. It just sums up how perfectly everything fell into place for the Lakers. They played everyone 40 minutes a night in the regular season but guess what- none of that matters because of Covid. Two month break and a good chance for everyone to rest up. And even now that they don’t need any luck, the Heat drop like flies. You can’t make this stuff up. It’s fate
    Heavy disagree.

    I think a fully healthy Heat team stood a chance, I think Boston would have had a much better shot than most people are willing to acknowledge, and I think Toronto would have given LA fits. People forget Toronto because they didn't make it to the conference finals but they honestly were incredible; they just met their Achilles heel matchup early in the playoffs. Against an LA team that has limited creators and competent ballhandlers, they would have had a good time of it.

    The reality is that the Lakers, by playing Portland in the first round and now an injured Heat in the finals, have had a relatively lucky run to the championship.

    Now, I don't count that against them. I don't give rings asterisks. The advantage of being in the Finals every year is that you're there to take advantage of the softballs when they come along: Lebron has earned that right by always being in the mix.

    But that doesn't change the reality that we're in, and that reality has the Lakers coming up against a softball Finals matchup.

  10. #835
    Congratulations Anthony Davis.

  11. #836
    the whole thing just pisses me off. I don't like the lakers, and I hated the trade because I knew this would happen. And it did. Now it sucks.

    What else is there to say?

    We get to watch the Lakers and Lebron and AD celebrate a title....that sucks. And the pelicans are the ones who made it happen.

    People here have been spinning it a number of ways- but BI is excelling, but the draft picks, but but but.....no **** that- what matters is Lebron and AD are
    going to be laughing and mugging for the camera after a couple to few more games and the pels let that happen. I'm supposed to be content in getting a
    non-difference making stats guy(BI) and some unknown quality future picks to watch that happen? ******** no......

    Look at the last two finals winners- Toronto with KL(who was obviously the difference for them) and the Lakers with AD(ditto). Two cases where a player wanted out, had one year remaining until FA so the team controlled them, and the team trades them to the team that wins it all.

    I would much rather, certainly in KL's case and even in AD's case although I know thats a different return, just stuck it to the player and made them waste another year of their prime than give in and trade them. In the case of KL, the return was total crap so you aren't even losing anything. And while the return was a lot better in the AD case, unlike in the KL case he got to go to his preferred team and the team most of our fans didn't want him to go to.

    People will say "oh if you did that to AD then you would get a bad reputation and top free agents wouldnt want to come in the future". LMAO....we are the freaking pelicans. Half of casual nba fans don't even know what city we play in(they probably get us and charlotte confused). We are a damn dumpster of an organization in terms of name rec, drawing power, ability to attract difference making free agents. Nobody is going to come to us anyways who is a true difference maker in free agency, so get out of here with that crap......

    What we did have is some leverage to not let this ******** happen this year. Maybe it would have happened next year anyways after he picked a FA destination....maybe not though after another year. But we damn sure controlled it this year, and we just gave in to him and took up it up the ****** and now we all get to watch them win another title because of it.....the hell with that

  12. #837
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Let’s be honest- the Clippers were the only team that could’ve stopped the Lakers and they blew it by throwing away a 3-1 lead to Denver. It just sums up how perfectly everything fell into place for the Lakers. They played everyone 40 minutes a night in the regular season but guess what- none of that matters because of Covid. Two month break and a good chance for everyone to rest up. And even now that they don’t need any luck, the Heat drop like flies. You can’t make this stuff up. It’s fate
    Yeah I said the min the Clippers went down it was the Lakers to lose. LeBron is too great to lose at this stage of his career.

  13. #838
    Quote Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
    the whole thing just pisses me off. I don't like the lakers, and I hated the trade because I knew this would happen. And it did. Now it sucks.

    What else is there to say?

    We get to watch the Lakers and Lebron and AD celebrate a title....that sucks. And the pelicans are the ones who made it happen.

    People here have been spinning it a number of ways- but BI is excelling, but the draft picks, but but but.....no **** that- what matters is Lebron and AD are
    going to be laughing and mugging for the camera after a couple to few more games and the pels let that happen. I'm supposed to be content in getting a
    non-difference making stats guy(BI) and some unknown quality future picks to watch that happen? ******** no......

    Look at the last two finals winners- Toronto with KL(who was obviously the difference for them) and the Lakers with AD(ditto). Two cases where a player wanted out, had one year remaining until FA so the team controlled them, and the team trades them to the team that wins it all.

    I would much rather, certainly in KL's case and even in AD's case although I know thats a different return, just stuck it to the player and made them waste another year of their prime than give in and trade them. In the case of KL, the return was total crap so you aren't even losing anything. And while the return was a lot better in the AD case, unlike in the KL case he got to go to his preferred team and the team most of our fans didn't want him to go to.

    People will say "oh if you did that to AD then you would get a bad reputation and top free agents wouldnt want to come in the future". LMAO....we are the freaking pelicans. Half of casual nba fans don't even know what city we play in(they probably get us and charlotte confused). We are a damn dumpster of an organization in terms of name rec, drawing power, ability to attract difference making free agents. Nobody is going to come to us anyways who is a true difference maker in free agency, so get out of here with that crap......

    What we did have is some leverage to not let this ******** happen this year. Maybe it would have happened next year anyways after he picked a FA destination....maybe not though after another year. But we damn sure controlled it this year, and we just gave in to him and took up it up the ****** and now we all get to watch them win another title because of it.....the hell with that
    The trade wasn't very strategic IMO. You don't give a top 3 player another top 15 player when a major part of the return is future draft compensation. Those picks are far more likely to be in the high 20's than lottery picks. We should have traded him to the Knicks. A historically ********-poor run organization that may have seen Davis opt out after a year anyways. Sure nobody on their roster had Ingram's raw talent, but Barrett, Smith Jr, Robinson and future draft picks/picks swaps look a hell of a lot better than the Ingram(who was coming off of blood clots and is due a new contract) Ball, Hart, and future picks/pick swaps trade we got from the Lakers.

    The Knicks had a ton of cap space this past offseason and no star player went there. Say what you will about the mental state of Durant and Irving but both guys chose to play basketball in New York, but neither wanted the Knicks. The Knicks signed like 4 PF/C's with the cap space.

  14. #839
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    The trade wasn't very strategic IMO. You don't give a top 3 player another top 15 player when a major part of the return is future draft compensation. Those picks are far more likely to be in the high 20's than lottery picks. We should have traded him to the Knicks. A historically ********-poor run organization that may have seen Davis opt out after a year anyways. Sure nobody on their roster had Ingram's raw talent, but Barrett, Smith Jr, Robinson and future draft picks/picks swaps look a hell of a lot better than the Ingram(who was coming off of blood clots and is due a new contract) Ball, Hart, and future picks/pick swaps trade we got from the Lakers.

    The Knicks had a ton of cap space this past offseason and no star player went there. Say what you will about the mental state of Durant and Irving but both guys chose to play basketball in New York, but neither wanted the Knicks. The Knicks signed like 4 PF/C's with the cap space.
    The picks were far enough out that Lebron is likely to be gone when at least one is conveyed. And look at history -- what happens the year after Lebron leaves a team? Best record the year after was 37 wins (Heat). The two Cavs teams he left were among the worst in the league

    So, it was actually very strategic. Griff is betting on Lebron to leave by or before 2024, and for the Lakers to do what all Lebron teams do after he leaves
    @mcnamara247

  15. #840
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The picks were far enough out that Lebron is likely to be gone when at least one is conveyed. And look at history -- what happens the year after Lebron leaves a team? Best record the year after was 37 wins (Heat). The two Cavs teams he left were among the worst in the league

    So, it was actually very strategic. Griff is betting on Lebron to leave by or before 2024, and for the Lakers to do what all Lebron teams do after he leaves
    The Lakers are the premiere FA destination of the league. They'll probably grab a 3rd star this off season or next when they're a really top tier FA class. The Knicks aren't the worst but they have become bottom 10 free agency destination.

    Put it this way which teams pick is far more likely to be top 5 over the next 6 or 7 years LA Lakers(which are about to win 17 title) or NY Knicks. It's insane some of the discussions that take place here sometimes. Even if LeBron falls off a cliff after next season they'll be stars wanting to take his place especially if Davis signs his extension(which at this point is a far gone conclusion). Hell Bradley Beal just purchased a house out here.

  16. #841
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    The Lakers are the premiere FA destination of the league. They'll probably grab a 3rd star this off season or next when they're a really top tier FA class.
    Which free agents and with what money?

    The Lakers already have $119m tied up next season. They will not be making any big FA signings this year, certainly not for stars. The following year becomes a touch more likely, but by that point Lebron will be 37 and AD would have signed his next big deal, meaning there will be upwards of $80m tied up between those two alone, which probably only leaves about $30m total for the entirety of the rest of the roster. That's not going to be enough to sign someone like a Giannis, for damn sure.

    The thing about being a premier FA destination is that it helps you get FA's when you have the money to sign free agents. It doesn't magic up cap space for you when you're already close to $90m in the hole (Lebron's $41m that year + AD's big payday + the $5m a season they'll still owe Luol Deng at that point).

  17. #842
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,254
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    The trade wasn't very strategic IMO. You don't give a top 3 player another top 15 player when a major part of the return is future draft compensation. Those picks are far more likely to be in the high 20's than lottery picks. We should have traded him to the Knicks. A historically ********-poor run organization that may have seen Davis opt out after a year anyways. Sure nobody on their roster had Ingram's raw talent, but Barrett, Smith Jr, Robinson and future draft picks/picks swaps look a hell of a lot better than the Ingram(who was coming off of blood clots and is due a new contract) Ball, Hart, and future picks/pick swaps trade we got from the Lakers.

    The Knicks had a ton of cap space this past offseason and no star player went there. Say what you will about the mental state of Durant and Irving but both guys chose to play basketball in New York, but neither wanted the Knicks. The Knicks signed like 4 PF/C's with the cap space.
    So what were you going to force the Knicks to give us? Reportedly they were not even willing to part with the #3 pick in the deal.

  18. #843
    I have no problem with the Lakers draft picks. As has been pointed out, if any of them turn out to be a late first it will be the first one we receive. The rest of the picks should be fine, and if BI and Hart continue to progress the picks will only put this over the top (rather than be fair for both teams). The assets that we have received are great for us, and only hamper them.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

  19. #844
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Which free agents and with what money?

    The Lakers already have $119m tied up next season. They will not be making any big FA signings this year, certainly not for stars. The following year becomes a touch more likely, but by that point Lebron will be 37 and AD would have signed his next big deal, meaning there will be upwards of $80m tied up between those two alone, which probably only leaves about $30m total for the entirety of the rest of the roster. That's not going to be enough to sign someone like a Giannis, for damn sure.

    The thing about being a premier FA destination is that it helps you get FA's when you have the money to sign free agents. It doesn't magic up cap space for you when you're already close to $90m in the hole (Lebron's $41m that year + AD's big payday + the $5m a season they'll still owe Luol Deng at that point).

    Freeing up cap space isn't impossible we've seen it done and really there's no big time star coming free this off season. But the following year assuming Davis opts in to his last year LeBron has a player option and can sign a deal to create space for a 3rd star and he's the only one under contract pass 2021. MM mentioned the goal was the 2024 pick. Unless something goes terribly wrong they'll transition to the next core group by then as LeBron fades.

    Long story short Lakers are setup to be contenders for the next 4-7years. Could thing go horribly wrong sure, but it not very likely.

  20. #845
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    So what were you going to force the Knicks to give us? Reportedly they were not even willing to part with the #3 pick in the deal.
    And you believe that why?

  21. #846
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I have no problem with the Lakers draft picks. As has been pointed out, if any of them turn out to be a late first it will be the first one we receive. The rest of the picks should be fine, and if BI and Hart continue to progress the picks will only put this over the top (rather than be fair for both teams). The assets that we have received are great for us, and only hamper them.
    What do you mean by fine? They'll all be likely be late 1st. Honestly they'll end up as Lakers late picks because they'll be no need to swap picks. You think the Lakers won't land another star to pair with Davis once LeBron slows down?

  22. #847
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    What do you mean by fine? They'll all be likely be late 1st. Honestly they'll end up as Lakers late picks because they'll be no need to swap picks. You think the Lakers won't land another star to pair with Davis once LeBron slows down?
    I don’t think it, I guarantee it.

    Prior to Lebron going there (for Hollywood, not basketball reasons) nobody wanted to go to LA unless they didn’t have anywhere else to go (see Luol Deng). There is a reason that there was a drought for so long between the Showtime Lakers to Shaq/Kobe and Kobe to Lebron, nobody wants to go there. Now with Lebron there they can’t afford super stars unless those guys go there on the cheap (and we can see that none are willing to do that). Nothing about that front office or coaching staff gives me (or anyone else for that matter) that their operations aren’t held together by anything but gum, string, and Lebron’s knees. Nothing there exudes confidence past Lebron.

    If you want to say that they will get a star to put next to AD need I remind you that stars didn’t come to New Orleans to play with him unless it was via trade.Nobody is going out of their way to team up with AD, and even if they did, they would have to go there via free agency as the Lakers’ assets are tied up to the Pels. So putting a Superstar next to AD won’t he easy (unless Klutch will do the Lakers a solid and tank a players value). If AD doesn’t have a Super Star next to him he will be the New Orleans’ version of AD, and while he might be a threat, he is hardly a guy you want to build a franchise around.

    So yeah, I’m at a good place with those Laker picks, and would be fine if you pinned this post of me saying that 2 of those Laker picks will be lottery picks.

  23. #848
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Freeing up cap space isn't impossible we've seen it done and really there's no big time star coming free this off season. But the following year assuming Davis opts in to his last year LeBron has a player option and can sign a deal to create space for a 3rd star and he's the only one under contract pass 2021. MM mentioned the goal was the 2024 pick. Unless something goes terribly wrong they'll transition to the next core group by then as LeBron fades.

    Long story short Lakers are setup to be contenders for the next 4-7years. Could thing go horribly wrong sure, but it not very likely.
    I don't believe this is accurate.

    Firstly, Lebron has never been the type of guy who signs smaller deals to free up space for a 3rd star. There are few things you can say have been as constant throughout Lebron's career as his desire to maximise his income. If there is any possible way for him to get LA to give him another max, he will get them to give him another max and that's what he will sign. Lebron is not doing a Tim Duncan discount; there has never been any indication in his entire career that he would be willing to do such a thing.

    Secondly, you say that they'll transition to the next core group by then. My question is, where is this group supposed to come from? They can't trade for promising young players: they have nobody under contract long term and no picks. They can't draft those young players, they have no picks. They're not getting those guys flocking to them in FA because they have no money and, as Lebron ages over the next few seasons, there's no real reason to go there; players don't flock to play with AD, as we've seen.

    You can argue that maybe players will just go there because it's LA, but then you have to ask why nobody was doing that for the last 7 years before Lebron showed up. If players want to go to a destination city to live the high life, they're just going to go to Miami, which at least has some good young prospects and has been consistently good for years.

    Thirdly, while we've seen freeing up cap space happen, there are circumstances where that's harder than usual. It's easier to free up cap if you have a few overpaid middle-tier players and you can attach picks to move them, or you can can stretch contracts, or whatever. It's very difficult to do that when you have two separate guys earning over $40m a year: we call this the Westbrook/Harden dilemma.

  24. #849
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Taker597's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,029
    Quote Originally Posted by tacosman View Post
    the whole thing just pisses me off. I don't like the lakers, and I hated the trade because I knew this would happen. And it did. Now it sucks.

    What else is there to say?

    We get to watch the Lakers and Lebron and AD celebrate a title....that sucks. And the pelicans are the ones who made it happen.

    People here have been spinning it a number of ways- but BI is excelling, but the draft picks, but but but.....no **** that- what matters is Lebron and AD are
    going to be laughing and mugging for the camera after a couple to few more games and the pels let that happen. I'm supposed to be content in getting a
    non-difference making stats guy(BI) and some unknown quality future picks to watch that happen? ******** no......

    Look at the last two finals winners- Toronto with KL(who was obviously the difference for them) and the Lakers with AD(ditto). Two cases where a player wanted out, had one year remaining until FA so the team controlled them, and the team trades them to the team that wins it all.

    I would much rather, certainly in KL's case and even in AD's case although I know thats a different return, just stuck it to the player and made them waste another year of their prime than give in and trade them. In the case of KL, the return was total crap so you aren't even losing anything. And while the return was a lot better in the AD case, unlike in the KL case he got to go to his preferred team and the team most of our fans didn't want him to go to.

    People will say "oh if you did that to AD then you would get a bad reputation and top free agents wouldnt want to come in the future". LMAO....we are the freaking pelicans. Half of casual nba fans don't even know what city we play in(they probably get us and charlotte confused). We are a damn dumpster of an organization in terms of name rec, drawing power, ability to attract difference making free agents. Nobody is going to come to us anyways who is a true difference maker in free agency, so get out of here with that crap......

    What we did have is some leverage to not let this ******** happen this year. Maybe it would have happened next year anyways after he picked a FA destination....maybe not though after another year. But we damn sure controlled it this year, and we just gave in to him and took up it up the ****** and now we all get to watch them win another title because of it.....the hell with that
    You mad that a farm team is being a farm team?

  25. #850
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,254
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    And you believe that why?
    Do you have anything that would indicate that it was reported incorrectly by the usual insiders? I believe Woj even reported the Knicks were not willing to part with much in the way of assets for AD. Unfortunately, we had no other real suitors than the Lakers given that AD and Klutch contaminated the waters.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 10 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 10 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •