Pelicans Report

Thread: Did the Pels ever really want to be in The Bubble?

Did the Pels ever really want to be in The Bubble?

From the start I thought there were some statements from management that they might just assume get on to next season. Griff groused about the pressure to play Zion on the league's time table. Alvin seemed subdued, even for Alvin. The team's play was lackluster for long stretches. Lonzo looked ready to catch a bus out of town from the opening tip off. When I compared the Pels energy level with that of others teams I watched in Orlando, they just looked to be out of it. Did they ever really want to be there?

Nope.
    In my honest opinion, the veteranship is very lacking on this team. I think JJ, Jrue, Moore, and Favors were more or less exposed as check picker uppers and though they were “professional” through this whole process, sometimes professional is Just code word for clock in and clock out on time and keep your hands clean.
    Not one quote from them this entire span of disdain and I won’t respect it if there’s rumblings afterwords because if the playoffs meant anything to them...there would be more energy from them.
    I’ve walked away from nearly every game thinking they are kind of trying to take the backseat due to the media and our young guys didn’t notice. That’s how I honestly feel.

Hall of Famer
    No there on the court play was very lazy. Jeff van gundy said during the game today
    Are these guys going to play with more energy or try and defend. He was 100 percent right on the pels. This team has no leader. Pretty pathetic. Zion says post game team doesntcome out with proper energy. A rookie is saying this. It's the coach and some of the personalities on this team as well

Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    Nope.
    In my honest opinion, the veteranship is very lacking on this team. I think JJ, Jrue, Moore, and Favors were more or less exposed as check picker uppers and though they were “professional” through this whole process, sometimes professional is Just code word for clock in and clock out on time and keep your hands clean.
    Not one quote from them this entire span of disdain and I won’t respect it if there’s rumblings afterwords because if the playoffs meant anything to them...there would be more energy from them.
    I’ve walked away from nearly every game thinking they are kind of trying to take the backseat due to the media and our young guys didn’t notice. That’s how I honestly feel.
    JJ brought it all year. He definitely earned his paycheck. Moore is what he is. He will never carry a team. Holiday and Favors have always been inconsistent offensively.

Hall of Famer
    I agree that JJ bought it, the 36 year old was the most active player on this team. To many duds and no shows though

I’m not saying JJ played poorly. JJ is probably the one veteran I can say consistently let his actions and energy speak for him.
    But JJ is competitive and I just expected more vocally and publicly as a leader to our young guys. You may disagree. But I imagined something a little different last off-season as far as him bringing on court leadership.

I’m not saying JJ played poorly. JJ is probably the one veteran I can say consistently let his actions and energy speak for him.
    But JJ is competitive and I just expected more vocally and publicly as a leader to our young guys. You may disagree. But I imagined something a little different last off-season as far as him bringing on court leadership.
    I think he did bring leadership more than any player on this team as he was the only one who seemed to give a ******** in the bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I think he did bring leadership more than any player on this team as he was the only one who seemed to give a ******** in the bubble.
    Again, I’m not saying JJ totally didn’t care. And I will admit that I’m not in the locker room. Not on the bubble campus. So apart of this is blindly assuming and just going off appearances.

The only thing I can say is that personally based on my expectations...after that beat down to the Clippers, I expected a scolding Larry Birdesque attack to the media to make guys aware that the play was unacceptable for a team who’s taking making the playoffs serious. It could have been from JJ, Jrue, Favors, Moore.

Going into this season, I expected more from our vets outwardly to the media - even if it’s just a tool to light a fire - and I think none of them wanted any parts of that.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Ingram was especially hoofing it on D. Someone said it could be that he’s trying to avoid injury that would jeopardize his max deal he’s about to sign. I hope once he does he takes a total nosedive and hoofs it ad infinitum.

Basketball Guru
    im mad that the team ended JJ playoff streak....

Nope.
    This is pretty ignorant considering Jrue donated his entire bubble paycheck to BLM, while his wife, who has obviously had major health troubles in the past, is pregnant with their second child. Fine if you weren't happy with his performance, even though he played well sans the Spurs game, but to call him a "check picker upper" is absurd.

JJ played exceptionally well for the most part throughout the bubble.

I'm not sure what you were expecting from Etwaun lol but he's pretty clearly not a rotational piece for a playoff teams, so to expect otherwise is your own fault.

Favors was a major disappointment and it appears his time in Nola is probably about as up in the air as Gentry's.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    This is pretty ignorant considering Jrue donated his entire bubble paycheck to BLM, while his wife, who has obviously had major health troubles in the past, is pregnant with their second child. Fine if you weren't happy with his performance, even though he played well sans the Spurs game, but to call him a "check picker upper" is absurd..
    Also in Jrue's defense, while it's clear his turnover rate picked up dramatically in the bubble and was really bad, in the first 5 games in the bubble he was putting up basically 17/5/5 on something stupid like 56% from the field and 41% from 3, along with being the clear best defender on the team.

The turnover issue is a real issue, and obviously that last game against the Spurs was abysmal. Nobody is denying that. But the way it's been folded into the anti-Jrue narrative that some people have on this board, completely ignoring the other 5 bubble games entirely, is pretty irritating.
    Basketball.

We looked like lazy bums.

I think this was an extremely bad situation for teams without playoff experience, and we're seeing that play out.
    Grizzlies: 1-5
    Pels: 2-4
    Kings: 1-5
    Mavs: 2-3

The only team really thriving in the bubble without playoff experience is the Suns, but it could be argued that this is a great set up for Monty-ball.

It's possible that we should've seen this coming, and that maybe this will be a valuable learning experience for the young guys on this team. Winning in the playoffs takes way more focus and discipline than the Pels showed.

Bubble positives? Our very own Taker597 built himself a nice desk! Very well done!
    https://saintsreport.com/threads/fin...w-desk.432530/
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 08-10-2020 at 03:25 PM.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I think this was an extremely bad situation for teams without playoff experience, and we're seeing that play out.
    Grizzlies: 1-5
    Pels: 2-4
    Kings: 1-5
    Mavs: 2-3

The only team really thriving in the bubble without playoff experience is the Suns, but it could be argued that this is a great set up for Monty-ball.

It's possible that we should've seen this coming, and that maybe this will be a valuable learning experience for the young guys on this team. Winning in the playoffs takes way more focus and discipline than the Pels showed.
    I’m, personally, pulling for the Suns. Monty never deserved to be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    I’m, personally, pulling for the Suns. Monty never deserved to be fired.
    Him getting to that playoff with that squad is crazy. Gentry had to blow it up to get anywhere.

Well they sure as hell don't wanna be there now. The TANKATHON is on.

No Jrue, no BI, and no Zion tomorrow vs Kings. All out.

Thread Information