Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Fire David Griffin and Gentry

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I mean, I can’t be the only person who feels our turnover problem is really simple. We’re asking players to do things they aren’t geared to do. Dribbling into a lot I’d trouble and asked to space and play the floor in ways that are unnatural to their player DNA.

We can’t play as fast as we want without also being spectacular on defense. Turning misses and TOs into fast breaks. Lonzo is useless in the half court. Jrue isn’t aggressive enough. And Zion’s conditioning takes too long to get into the proper rhythm he needs.
    Yep. It leaves so little margin for error. If we are turning it over, it’s game over

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I mean, I can’t be the only person who feels our turnover problem is really simple. We’re asking players to do things they aren’t geared to do. Dribbling into a lot I’d trouble and asked to space and play the floor in ways that are unnatural to their player DNA.

We can’t play as fast as we want without also being spectacular on defense. Turning misses and TOs into fast breaks. Lonzo is useless in the half court. Jrue isn’t aggressive enough. And Zion’s conditioning takes too long to get into the proper rhythm he needs.
    I think Zion's conditioning is overblown. When he came back from injury... He had only 2 games of 18-20 minutes. Then he got bumped up to 27 -29 minute avg for 5 games. Then the rest of the season... He avg around 30-32 minutes a night for a 10 games straight.

But I 100% agree we play way too fast on most nights. It leads to constant turnovers.
    Last edited by Taker597; 08-03-2020 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I wanted Demps gone after the horrible trade for Asik. Upside means nothing if you can't build a balanced roster. Which is what really doomed us this past offseason. Maybe Griffin bought into Gentry's ALL small ball positionless garbage. So, maybe with a different coach. We don't repeat that mistake. Still... anyone that looked at the roster should had a creeping feeling that the lack of quality veteran bigs was gonna burn us badly. It has... We shipped out AD, Randle and Mirotic and shipped in 3 rookies & Favors.Dwight Howard was there for easy picking in the last offseason.
    Why in the world would anyone want someone like Howard in a locker room of young players? Is that the influence this team needs?

Yeah let’s fire the Executive of the year candidate . This coming from Yahoo too.

https://sports.yahoo.com/m/077e05b8-...ve-of-the.html

That would put us in the right path. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    That's just bad value, though. You do your homework, you pick who you think is the guy you want, and you select that player, but if you think (with good reason) that that player will be available at number 5 and you draft him #1, you have wasted value. Cause you could have traded down, probably acquired another asset, and still got the guy you want.

Since we don't have access to the pre-draft information, what if Jaxson Hayes was the target for Griff? We don't know, cause we don't have his information, but it's possible. If that's the case, which is the better outcome: Draft Hayes 4th and that's it, or trade 4, draft Hayes 8th cause you know he'll still be there, and then pick up NAW and Didi basically for free?

Even if NAW and Didi never work out, you've essentially bought yourself 2 extra bites at the cherry for free. That's good value. That's what you should be aiming for.
    Plus we dumped Solo!!

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Yeah let’s fire the Executive of the year candidate . This coming from Yahoo too.

https://sports.yahoo.com/m/077e05b8-...ve-of-the.html

That would put us in the right path. Lol
    Why does he deserve it over Pelinka?

I like Griffin. Gentry can go
    SIGN A SF

Move this thread to tiger droppings. This is garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    Why does he deserve it over Pelinka?
    Other than not fire the coach(Maybe soon) Grif. has cleaned house. Lebron built his team not Pelinka. Not hard to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Move this thread to tiger droppings. This is garbage
    I agree . Another vote for Dump.

Anyone who seriously thinks Griff should be fired is either a complete idiot or a troll. Both of which should be ignored. There are a lot of smart people on this board and if we cultivated our own respectful conversations and disagreements instead of entertaining ridiculous notions like this, PR would be a much better place.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Other than not fire the coach(Maybe soon) Grif. has cleaned house. Lebron built his team not Pelinka. Not hard to understand.
    I mean that really doesn’t say a lot About Griffin right now. Zion was an easy pick and the Lakers trade hasn’t really amounted to much yet. Maybe it’ll look great one day but it’s still TBD at this point. Maybe if they make the Playoffs I can see it but OKC has just as good of an offseason as well and they are a bonafide Playoff team. Then you have off seasons from the Clippers as well as Miami and probably Dallas. They have as much claim if not more for the moves they’ve made. Griffin’s claim to fame is through Lebron so I wouldn’t use that against Pelinka right now. He made some masterful moves to fill that team with a bunch of players who knows how to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    I mean that really doesn’t say a lot About Griffin right now. Zion was an easy pick and the Lakers trade hasn’t really amounted to much yet. Maybe it’ll look great one day but it’s still TBD at this point. Maybe if they make the Playoffs I can see it but OKC has just as good of an offseason as well and they are a bonafide Playoff team. Then you have off seasons from the Clippers as well as Miami and probably Dallas. They have as much claim if not more for the moves they’ve made. Griffin’s claim to fame is through Lebron so I wouldn’t use that against Pelinka right now. He made some masterful moves to fill that team with a bunch of players who knows how to win.
    Thanks Dell.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Anyone who seriously thinks Griff should be fired is either a complete idiot or a troll. Both of which should be ignored. There are a lot of smart people on this board and if we cultivated our own respectful conversations and disagreements instead of entertaining ridiculous notions like this, PR would be a much better place.
    What team have you been watching? Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t griffin responsible for the acquisitions of players and coaches on this team ? Isn’t he responsible for hiring one of the worst defensive coordinators in the nba who came from a defense ranked next to last? Isn’t he responsible for keeping Alvin Gentry past the all star break when we damn near lost 20 games straight. I won’t even go into players playing who wouldn’t even see playing time on good teams.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlPelsFan View Post
    What team have you been watching? Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t griffin responsible for the acquisitions of players and coaches on this team ? Isn’t he responsible for hiring one of the worst defensive coordinators in the nba who came from a defense ranked next to last? Isn’t he responsible for keeping Alvin Gentry past the all star break when we damn near lost 20 games straight. I won’t even go into players playing who wouldn’t even see playing time on good teams.
    Not quite sure you understand how a team that has almost completely been turned over in one season is supposed to look. Impatience is what has killed this organization in the past. Give him a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Not quite sure you understand how a team that has almost completely been turned over in one season is supposed to look. Impatience is what has killed this organization in the past. Give him a chance!
    So I should watch the car go off of the cliff when you see clear as day what the issues are. Gotcha!!

So I should watch the car go off of the cliff when you see clear as day what the issues are. Gotcha!!
    So who should be GM/Director then? Give us a name.

Certified troll

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Certified troll
    Where were you when we lost almost 20 games straight or when we just got our butts handed to us vs the clippers the other day ? Let’s just ignore the losses I guess huh. Everyone wants to settle for mediocrity and turn their heads during the losses. If we were rebuilding and actually putting the right pieces in place. I would understand, but putting the wrong pieces in the process will hurt the team as well. Nobody wants to talk about griff hiring the worst defensive coordinator in the nba or keeping gentry past the all star break. We have some players on our team who wouldn’t get playing time anywhere else on contenders and we are guard heavy. We have no defensive small forwards to guard the Paul George and lebrons of the nba. We put short guards on those players. I’ve been a fan of the pelicans since we received them as the hornets. I’m as big as fan as anyone else, but I won’t look past the issues that this team has. We have to do better and get a coach who actually runs plays and not just play park ball. When things get tight in the 4th quarter. We just play iso ball and that won’t work. Even Jordan wasn’t happy when Phil jackson brought in the triangle offense, but it brought them championships.

Where were you when we lost almost 20 games straight or when we just got our butts handed to us vs the clippers the other day ? Let’s just ignore the losses I guess huh. Everyone wants to settle for mediocrity and turn their heads during the losses. If we were rebuilding and actually putting the right pieces in place. I would understand, but putting the wrong pieces in the process will hurt the team as well. Nobody wants to talk about griff hiring the worst defensive coordinator in the nba or keeping gentry past the all star break. We have some players on our team who wouldn’t get playing time anywhere else on contenders and we are guard heavy. We have no defensive small forwards to guard the Paul George and lebrons of the nba. We put short guards on those players. I’ve been a fan of the pelicans since we received them as the hornets. I’m as big as fan as anyone else, but I won’t look past the issues that this team has. We have to do better and get a coach who actually runs plays and not just play park ball. When things get tight in the 4th quarter. We just play iso ball and that won’t work. Even Jordan wasn’t happy when Phil jackson brought in the triangle offense, but it brought them championships.
    Ok, how many times are you going to post the same thing? We have not even played a full season under Griffin and the completely new team he had to assemble because Lebron wanted AD to come help him win. Patience.

I'm not like a die hard Gentry supporter or anything, but he also has no control over Zion missing the first half of the season. He's obviously not the coach of the future, and I think even he knows that; but he had the guys playing pretty well before the break.

Where I have issue with this post is the "fire Griffin" nonsense. This team is literally in the best position to have future success of any team in the NBA, yet you want to fire the VPBO after ONE LOSS in the regular season. That's child's play and shouldn't be entertained. No one is settling for mediocrity lol, we just don't tear the team down whenever there's a misstep. Most of this team is comprised of 19-22 year olds. They're not going to be consistent yet, but we have a pretty damn good foundation to build on.

Your expectations for this season were clearly far far too high

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    You can't reason with someone who didn't use reason to get themselves where they are.

If someone seriously thinks we should fire a VP of Basketball Ops after one bloody season, then leave them alone to macerate in their delusion. Like people who say the world is flat. That COVID is a hoax. Or vaccines cause autism.

The personnel decisions today are enough to get Gentry fired.

End of story.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Gentry needs to go for sure. Players never look prepared and the defense is absolutely invisible. .
    Said it on page 1

* cough cough *

Thread Information