.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 101 to 112 of 112

Thread: 8th March - New Orleans Pelicans @ Minnesota Timberwolves - 27-36

  1. #101
    RIP BDJ AUSSIE_PELICAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,670
    Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Well dang. I really did not see the Kings going on a run like this. Against some good teams, too. Usually I would love an underdog doing what they're doing but.....c'mon!
    They will be tough to beat coming up after a hard loss.

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The vastness of the change his shot has undergone is stunning. Vinson has turned it around completely for him. It's bonkers.
    Even the pull-up and the midrange shot are looking better. I think there is a real chance he becomes a pull-up threat (which he needs, because he just doesn't have it in him to finish around the rim).

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    They will be tough to beat coming up after a hard loss.
    Apparently. Man. I really just didn't see them coming. And I haven't made much attention to them. Will be interesting to watch them play.

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by akhan786 View Post
    His rebounding numbers are never going to be astronomical I think for 2 reasons. His wingspan I think actually affects him here because sometimes rebounds come at you faster than you can jump which is his equalizer to the 7 foot behemoths in the league.

    And 2, he doesnít hunt rebounds if another teammate is in the area. I swear Josh Hart takes 3-4 rebounds from him every game haha. I think Zion does it because heís a nice kid and also doesnít want to expend valuable energy if another teammate is clearly also in the area
    I slightly disagree with the first point. His wingspan is fine, I don't think it holds him back massively at all, and I still think with superior boxing out and effort he could be a double digit rebound guy. Will he ever average 13 boards a night? Probably not. Can he average 10, maybe even 11? Sure, I think so.

    I completely agree with the second point though. Every game Hart 'steals' a couple of rebounds, literally jumping in front of him (sometimes full on, two feet off the ground, soaring in front of him) and it's kind of funny. Like JJack said though, I don't think Zion really cares too much; seems to be willing to let it go.

    I also think part of the reason Zion's rebounding numbers are a touch depressed is the team strategy. Simply, we don't play with the aim of him getting defensive boards. Maybe this chances in the future, but the strategy is largely for him to get OREBS and if the opponent misses a shot, he isn't supposed to go for the DREB; he's supposed to let someone else get it and run to create the mismatch on the other end early. That's what allows Lonzo to keep throwing these 60 foot lobs and stuff: Zion is not anywhere near the rim at those moments. This drags his overall rebounding numbers down, but it does contribute to probably 4 easy points a game.
    Tyrese Maxey/Isaac Okoro/Killian Tillie/Onyeka Okongwu/Devin Vassell endorser.

    Eye test people: analytics people watch more basketball than you do.

  5. #105
    Also, I noticed if you block Zion you better knock it to the stands. More often than not... Zion's cheetah like reflexes already scooped up the rebound and dunked on you.

    The only thing that works is by pick pocketing him.

    If Favors gonna stand around and do nothing while Zion gey swarmed. He atleast could run picks to keep the defender to having a free release at him to double.

  6. #106
    I know we're all well aware of Zion's ridiculous efficiency and consistency when it comes to scoring. But I was just looking at his game logs and it's so weird to look at. Here's his last 10 games:

    @ Wolves: 23pts, 9/15 shooting (60%)
    V Miami: 17pts, 7/9 shooting (77.8%)
    @ Mavs: 21pts, 9/18 shooting (50%)
    V Wolves: 25pts, 10/19 shooting (52.6%)
    V Lakers: 35pts, 12/16 shooting (75%)
    V Cavs: 24pts, 11/16 shooting (68.8%)
    @ Lakers: 29pts, 8/18 shooting (44.4%)
    @ Warriors: 28pts, 13/20 shooting (65%)
    @ Blazers: 25pts, 10/17 shooting (58.8%)
    V Thunder: 32pts, 11/19 shooting (57.9%)

    That's 20+ points in all but 1 game, and 50%+ shooting in all but one game.

    He's also now 6/13 from 3 on the season. That's 46.1%. Zion's a sniper

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by rudy sanders View Post
    Hart, Moore, Jackson... = kiss of death when on the floor for extended periods, from what ive seen...
    Hart can be inconsistent with his 3s, but he brings solid defense and a lot of hustle of the bench. Plus he is usually going to cause a few turnovers.

    Frank and Moore would be ok if they didnt try to do too much beyond their abilities. If they could accept their role positions and not force plays so much they would be solid bemch players IMO

  8. #108
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,886
    I meant to stop by and say **** the Timberwolves yesterday. Dirty freaking team that was hacking everyone.

  9. #109
    The Franchise Creative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    1,263
    Nice win guys, but BIG games coming...

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I slightly disagree with the first point. His wingspan is fine, I don't think it holds him back massively at all, and I still think with superior boxing out and effort he could be a double digit rebound guy. Will he ever average 13 boards a night? Probably not. Can he average 10, maybe even 11? Sure, I think so.

    I completely agree with the second point though. Every game Hart 'steals' a couple of rebounds, literally jumping in front of him (sometimes full on, two feet off the ground, soaring in front of him) and it's kind of funny. Like JJack said though, I don't think Zion really cares too much; seems to be willing to let it go.

    I also think part of the reason Zion's rebounding numbers are a touch depressed is the team strategy. Simply, we don't play with the aim of him getting defensive boards. Maybe this chances in the future, but the strategy is largely for him to get OREBS and if the opponent misses a shot, he isn't supposed to go for the DREB; he's supposed to let someone else get it and run to create the mismatch on the other end early. That's what allows Lonzo to keep throwing these 60 foot lobs and stuff: Zion is not anywhere near the rim at those moments. This drags his overall rebounding numbers down, but it does contribute to probably 4 easy points a game.
    Since I'm a bit of a boomer, I try and compare Zion to the players of the golden era of basketball, the mid to late 80's

    At first I had Zion pegged as a Charles Barkley type, but it doesn't appear that at least as of now Zion has the rebounding instinct that Barkley did. The more I see Zion play, and how they play him in Gentry's system, I'm starting to compare him more to James Worthy on steroids. Worthy never had great rebounding numbers throughout his career, but it was mainly because he was always releasing early on the fast break. Like Worthy, Zion is great at finishing around the basket either in a fast break or half court setting.

  11. #111
    Rookie numbers arenít an indicator. Zion is around 4th year in Giannis.

    Per possession and Per 36 tells on players in an era where they arenít playing 38-41 minutes a game anymore.

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    Rookie numbers aren’t an indicator. Zion is around 4th year in Giannis.

    Per possession and Per 36 tells on players in an era where they aren’t playing 38-41 minutes a game anymore.
    Per 100s are the better measurement, imo, because they factor in pace. Two players of identical skill can put up wildly different per 36 numbers if the pace those minutes are played at are wildly different.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •