.
Pelicans Report
 
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: What is goal tending anymore?

  1. #1

    What is goal tending anymore?

    I cant get a grip on how officials are calling goal tending these days. Seems like even on the play AD hurt his arm , was goal tending but no call. Am I being too much a stickler for playing the games within the rules?


    Official rules are "goaltending is the violation of interfering with the ball while it is on its way to the basket and it is (a) in a downward flight, (b) above the basket ring and within the imaginary cylinder, and (c) not touching the rim.[1][2][3][4] In NCAA, NBA and WNBA basketball, goaltending is also called if the ball has already touched the backboard while being above the height of the rim in its flight, regardless of it being in an upward or downward flight or whether it is directly above the rim.[5][6] Goaltending in this context defines by exclusion what is considered a legal block of a field goal."

  2. #2
    The Franchise DarkHornet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    1,019
    I'd like to see a replay, but I thought AD had made contact with the shot before it hit the backboard. It looked clean from what I remember, though it was close.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Pelican View Post
    I cant get a grip on how officials are calling goal tending these days. Seems like even on the play AD hurt his arm , was goal tending but no call. Am I being too much a stickler for playing the games within the rules?


    Official rules are "goaltending is the violation of interfering with the ball while it is on its way to the basket and it is (a) in a downward flight, (b) above the basket ring and within the imaginary cylinder, and (c) not touching the rim.[1][2][3][4] In NCAA, NBA and WNBA basketball, goaltending is also called if the ball has already touched the backboard while being above the height of the rim in its flight, regardless of it being in an upward or downward flight or whether it is directly above the rim.[5][6] Goaltending in this context defines by exclusion what is considered a legal block of a field goal."
    There were so many goaltending calls in this game that they missed and it made my head spin. It seems a fairly obvious call to make and they just let obvious goaltends go

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    I'd like to see a replay, but I thought AD had made contact with the shot before it hit the backboard. It looked clean from what I remember, though it was close.
    Morris had a block where it easily hit the glass first and the officials didn’t call it. Not sure about AD’s in question but that Morris one was criminal to miss.

  5. #5
    More than that, I cringe every time an official waits to see if the ball goes in before blowing the whistle on a foul. It it's foul...blow the damn whistle.
    Because of Griff's Genius, Gayle Benson now owns a second NBA Franchise for the next seven years,

  6. #6
    There has been a recent spate of missed goaltending calls over the last month or so. Many of them, it seems disproportionately many of them, have favored the Lakers.

    There are times when it's understandable. It's hard to tell if the ball hit the backboard first or not, and it's not like it's auto-reviewable.

    But there are other times where it's blatant and you just have to accept that the refs don't care.

    Add it to the long list of ''reasons NBA refs are really bad at their jobs''
    Tyrese Maxey/Isaac Okoro/Killian Tillie/Onyeka Okongwu/Devin Vassell endorser.

    Eye test people: analytics people watch more basketball than you do.

  7. #7
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    There has been a recent spate of missed goaltending calls over the last month or so. Many of them, it seems disproportionately many of them, have favored the Lakers.

    There are times when it's understandable. It's hard to tell if the ball hit the backboard first or not, and it's not like it's auto-reviewable.

    But there are other times where it's blatant and you just have to accept that the refs don't care.

    Add it to the long list of ''reasons NBA refs are really bad at their jobs''
    Kind of like the fact that it is automatic that Lebron can take 4 steps without dribbling and still not be called a travel?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Kind of like the fact that it is automatic that Lebron can take 4 steps without dribbling and still not be called a travel?
    Or how Rudy Gobert can put Ingram on the floor on a vital end-game possession and get no foul.

  9. #9
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    28,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Or how Rudy Gobert can put Ingram on the floor on a vital end-game possession and get no foul.
    Also how he parks in the lane and doesn't move.

  10. #10
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Also how he parks in the lane and doesn't move.
    Same with Adams.

  11. #11
    Is non-called goaltending challengable?

    I don't understand why they have so few challenges used.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Is non-called goaltending challengable?

    I don't understand why they have so few challenges used.
    You cannot challenge a no call.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •