.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 65

Thread: Rising Stars Game

  1. #1

    NBA Rising Stars Game

    It's the rising stars game! We have 3 rookies in attendance, so there's reason to watch. You'd have to assume there's a minutes limit on someone like Zion for an exhibition game, but honestly I don't have a problem with him playing in it as long as it's managed properly. Good experience for him.



    Tyrese Maxey/Isaac Okoro/Killian Tillie/Onyeka Okongwu/Devin Vassell endorser.

    Eye test people: analytics people watch more basketball than you do.

  2. #2

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,893
    Am I the only one who's really surprised NAW got invited? Super happy for him, but he hasn't done much this season.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Am I the only one who's really surprised NAW got invited? Super happy for him, but he hasn't done much this season.
    Not really tbh. Can't think of how many international guards in their first two seasons there are, but I can't imagine they were spoiled for choice.

    They probably like the narrative of him and SGA being on court together as cousins too

  6. #6
    Hall of Famer WildlifeAirGrp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    New Orleans/Kenya
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Am I the only one who's really surprised NAW got invited? Super happy for him, but he hasn't done much this season.
    He's playing on the World side, so no.
    Thanks Pelicans Report - I get a laugh or three every day reading this thing. Hoping the magic returns to the SKC soon.
    Wildlife Aviation Group

  7. #7


    Zion Transcription:

    Who have you modelled your game after?
    ''None of them, to be honest. I'm just trying to bring my own style to the game.''

    How do you think you've done so far?
    ''I feel like it's been alright. Me and my teammates trying to compete for that playoff spot.''

    Have you thought about your matchups in this game, particularly against NAW?
    ''Some mat-, what? Wow. Do we play defense in all-star games? I mean it's going to be a great matchup, I played against him in college it was a great game, but I think we're both just looking to go out there and have fun.''

    If they brought 1v1 competitions into all-star, who would you want to match up with?
    ''Whoever wants to play. I think that would be a great event so whoever wants to play, that's who I'd be ready to face.''

    After all these years, you're back on a team with Ja. How special is that?
    ''I mean, it's crazy. You know, we couldn't have dreamed about this in a million years. If you go ask him, we wouldn't have thought we were going to be here. It's exciting though, we're both just looking to go out there and have fun.''

    Zion, if you could dunk on one player in the league, who would it be?
    ''Jesus Christ, man, uh- I don't know. Whoever I dunk on.''

    Zion, you're Jordan brand; do you know where we could find Michael Jordan?
    ''Honestly, I couldn't tell you. Check a golf course, he'll probably be there.''

    It's Valentine's Day; what would someone have to do to make you say yes to being their Valentine?
    ''Wow, love these questions. Honestly, something from the heart. It doesn't have to be anything grand, it could be something simple, and I'd say yes.''

    You weren't listed on the Olympic roster, is that something you'd want to do?
    ''Yes sir, that is definitely something that I would want to do in the future, I don't think there's anything better than representing your country.''

    Do you think you have a chance to win Rookie of the Year?
    ''Honestly, I'm not sure. I'm not really thinking about it. I'm just thinking about helping my team get to the playoffs.''

    Your top 5 dunkers of all time?
    ''I don't know to be honest, I can't. I wanna give you a list but I feel like I might leave somebody off that I'd hear about after. So I've gotta think about that.''
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 02-14-2020 at 12:17 PM.

  8. #8


    Nickeil Alexander-Walker's Transcript of interesting questions

    How do you feel?
    ''Uh, really excited. It's something we dreamed of as kids, dating back to when we had our own all-star weekends on NBA live and stuff, so I thank God and I'm excited.''

    What's been bumpy as you've adjusted to the NBA.
    ''Just coming from college and being able to play and have success early and then kind of learning the game and be there for your teammates in other ways. Trying to bring energy, keep guys engaged, and do the best I can to stay ready.''

    What would you say was your 'welcome to the NBA moment'?
    ''It's tough... I'd definitely say it's just the travel. Playing one game and then flying immediately after, ready for a next game, back to backs. My body isn't used to that kind of wear and tear. I wouldn't want it any other way but it feels like wow, this does not end. But I'm doing what I love.''

    What are your thoughts on Kawhi Leonard as a defender? - [Weird question, imo]
    ''From watching him play, he's very cerebral. He knows the floor and he knows what the offense is going to do based on their drives. He's a play ahead, and does the little things. I've seen him pick pocket people and I don't even know how he was able to come up with that. It's kind of like watching Jrue, Jrue's really good at that as well, and they're always a step ahead.''

    In the limited time you've had playing with Zion, what's that like?
    ''He attracts a lot of attention. Just him being there opens up the game for a lot of other people. The fact that he's unselfish, he's for the team, it helps a lot because having someone of that impact who's always trying to make a winning play. You can throw him the ball, he's never going to force it. You add some of those tools, you have Zo's passing, Jrue's play on both ends of the floor, Brandon's skills, it's exciting to watch.''

    What opportunities does he open up?
    ''He's a huge lob threat [interviewer jokingly says ''oh word?''] and having him rolling and bigs having to move back, I think his dynamic opens up the floor because people are so worried about him. They think, we'll live if someone else beats us, but the good thing is that we have a lot of guys who are capable of doing that.''

    Thoughts on the team's play
    ''We're definitely a playoff team. There's no doubt in my mind, I never go into a game hoping or thinking we should just hope to compete. We've proved we can compete with the best in the league, it's just a matter of putting it together for 48 minutes.''

  9. #9


    Nicolo Melli Interesting Questions Transcript

    Starts with 2 questions in Italian

    What did you have for dinner?
    ''Pizza. [Chicago pizza?] No, we played against Oklahoma last night so we were flying here but before catching the flight I went to a pizzeria.''

    MVP prediction?
    ''No prediction, but of course as a European player, I hope a European player wins it. So either Giannis or Luka, I think they're the ones with the biggest chances in the race.''

    What did Kobe mean for Italian basketball?
    ''He meant a lot, plus his father played for 2 years in my hometown so for me personally it was even bigger. I know one of his friends in [Italian Region I didn't catch] so it meant a lot to us.''

    When did you find out you were coming to all-star?
    ''Yesterday morning, there was the huddle at the end of shootaround and before the huddle David Griffin comes to me and says, hey Nic, congratulations. And we always mess with each other every day, he always makes fun of me and I make fun of him, so I was like, are you joking? And he said, oh you've been selected to go to the game. And everyone knows I wanted to go on vacation to the Bahamas for a couple of days so I thought he was messing with me, I said it wasn't true, and he said no no it's true. So I understood it was serious, and the team congratulated me. So here I am.''

    Are you still going to the Bahamas?
    ''I am still going to the Bahamas [laughs].''

    Your favourite part of New Orleans
    ''To be completely honest, I didn't like New Orleans at first. Or, I didn't love it as I'm loving it now, because I think it's a very special city and it needs time to show itself. I love the vibes there, how many opportunities you have for food, events, and music. Me and my wife, we love it.''

    Thoughts on Zion; are you surprised by his play?
    ''I practice with him every day, so I'm not surprised. I just hope he can keep healthy, keep playing, because you haven't seen everything yet.''

    Since Zion has come back, how has the dynamic changed on the court?
    ''We're talking about a unique player, so other teams are all concerned about what he can do and how he impacts the game. So the focus shifts to him and it makes our job easier, for sure.''

    What do you think about how the NBA has become global, with so many international all-stars now?
    ''I think this is something the NBA should be proud of. The NBA was already a global brand, and now it's becoming a global organisation, and having players like Giannis and Luka in the race to become MVP, and Giannis won it already last year, it means a lot for us, you know. As European players.''

    Thoughts about how the international game influences players when they come into the NBA
    ''Well, it's a tough question. I think they're different players. Giannis kind of grew up, basketball-wise, over here, but Luka was already dominating in Europe, unfortunately I know that very well. They're unique players who are very good, super talented, and it doesn't matter where they grew up or what they've done before the NBA, they're just so talented and they're impacting the game because they're so good.''

  10. #10
    Hall of Famer WildlifeAirGrp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    New Orleans/Kenya
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Am I the only one who's really surprised NAW got invited? Super happy for him, but he hasn't done much this season.
    He's playing on the World side, so no.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Nickeil Alexander-Walker's Transcript of interesting questions

    How do you feel?
    Lol, journalism!

  12. #12
    Charter Member PELICANSFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kenner, LA
    Posts
    21,127
    They really need to stop with the USA versus World format and just pick players from the NBA as a whole.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Lol, journalism!
    In fairness, I did kind of truncate the details of the question, but that's pretty much what it boiled down to.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    They really need to stop with the USA versus World format and just pick players from the NBA as a whole.
    Didn't it used to be rookies VS sophomores? That was better, imo.

  15. #15
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    3,560
    Meanwhile


  16. #16
    Here's what I want to happen tonight.

    I want NAW to have a good game, because he hasn't had many opportunities recently and when he has, he's been bad. Some of that's not his fault (why he got sent out there with a 3 centre lineup, I cannot answer) but he's clearly not all there right now. Would be nice for him to get some minutes with his cousin, warm up, have some fun, and maybe shake off some of the dark cloud hanging over him right now.

    I would like Melli to play, but not to play too much; he's 29 and as much as it's cool for him to get this opportunity, I don't want him to play heavy minutes over a younger guy who hasn't had the same historical grounding in professional ball as Melli, and who has a longer future ahead of him.

    Zion, I'd prefer for them to keep his minutes relatively reasonable. Don't see any reason for him to play more than about 25 minutes, to be honest. But I'd love for him to win and maybe to win the MVP of the game too. Not really for any reason (I doubt ROTY voters will take the Rising Stars game into account ) but just to pad the resume and to cement him as the star attraction. Would also love to see him get the chance to throw down a super highlight dunk; he hasn't had that chance yet so far in the regular season because he hasn't gotten much opportunity as a full-court ballhandler, and defenses are just cramming the paint in the half-court, but a game like this should have lazy enough defense to allow one or two of them.

    That's about it. Don't really have a preference for who wins.

  17. #17
    One good thing is that Zion's on a team with Ja Morant and Trae Young. Both of whom can, and will, throw lobs and great passes.

    On the other hand, he's also on a team with Collin Sexton, who is one of the most tragic passers at the guard position in the NBA.

  18. #18
    Hall of Famer WildlifeAirGrp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    New Orleans/Kenya
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    They really need to stop with the USA versus World format and just pick players from the NBA as a whole.
    The NBA has a global audience - more than any other US-based league. They want to highlight that aspect of the game. I for one have stopped being amazed at the places I see basketball hoops set up around the globe. And by hoops, I am being kind. I think Buddy Hield said he used a square plastic crate nailed to a pole in the Bahamas. I saw one in the Outback once, and I mean in the middle of nowhere - like on the moon and thought "who put that there"? Somebody played a game out there. Amazing. I seriously love this league - I really do and stink at playing it.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    The NBA has a global audience - more than any other US-based league. They want to highlight that aspect of the game. I for one have stopped being amazed at the places I see basketball hoops set up around the globe. And by hoops, I am being kind. I think Buddy Hield said he used a square plastic crate nailed to a pole in the Bahamas. I saw one in the Outback once, and I mean in the middle of nowhere - like on the moon and thought "who put that there"? Somebody played a game out there. Amazing. I seriously love this league - I really do and stink at playing it.
    I do agree that the NBA has a global audience, and an increasingly global set of players, but I wonder if there could be a way to ensure representation without necessarily requiring exactly equal teams of US and none-US players.

    Interesting fact though: since 2013, more first-time all-stars have been international players than American players.

    For example, this year alone Luka Doncic, Domantas Sabonis, Rudy Gobert, and Pascal Siakam are all first-time allstars. That's super cool.

  20. #20
    Trae Young went for the wraparound pass, should have just lobbed it.

  21. #21
    And Kendrick Nunn becomes the first player of this game to take a complete iso where he ignores every team mate lol

  22. #22
    Rui Hachimura kind of taking the ''no defense'' thing too literally; he has now gone 2 straight possessions where he hasn't even run back past half court on D.

  23. #23
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    3,560
    They should cancel ASG and replace it with this event.

  24. #24
    Big Ja-to-Zion alley oop from the opposite 3pt line!

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    They should cancel ASG and replace it with this event.
    They've done one better; they've got this event, and the ASG.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •