Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: This is on gentry

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drortego316 View Post
    To me this is a recipe for 4 years down the road he leaves on the first ride out of here and I wouldn't blame him. The dude was fine, probably gassed when they took him out in the 4th quarter but he should've went back in with 3 minutes left. The way they've handled Zion up to this point has probably left a bad taste in his mouth.
    O Lordy ! Gibberish .

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    People say that Zion looked tired, gassed, sluggish, but he sure wasn’t playing like it. Even then you could have told him, “listen Zion, I know you’re tired, but we need you for 3 more minutes. We got a couple of timeouts that we can use to help you catch your breath, but we need you.” Problem solved.

If this came from above, and wasn’t Gentry’s call that’s one thing (Lebron got Griff his championship), but I would have expected more push back from Gentry. If you know you are going to get ******** canned at the end of the season, go out in a blaze of glory giving the people what they want rather than a lineup that hadn’t worked all game.
    He looked gassed because he was gassed. He looked like a statue when Forbes blew right passed him for a layup. Zion was standing under the goal bending over pulling down on his shorts say hard, I'm surprised they didn't come off.

Quote Originally Posted by drortego316 View Post
    To me this is a recipe for 4 years down the road he leaves on the first ride out of here and I wouldn't blame him. The dude was fine, probably gassed when they took him out in the 4th quarter but he should've went back in with 3 minutes left. The way they've handled Zion up to this point has probably left a bad taste in his mouth.
    That is really rushing to conclusions, imo. Zion's here in New Orleans pretty much for the next 7 years due to the rules of restricted free agency, and I very much doubt that he will be making his decision to stay or leave with a single thought of this game in his mind. In fact, I figure he probably won't even care too much about this game within two or three weeks. It's frustrating to be sat when you're feeling it, but only really in the moment. Zion's a smart kid, looking back he'll recognise why the med staff did it, even if he didn't agree with it, and he'll get over it.

I promise you that when we're wrecking shop in the playoffs next season and the years after that, Zion's memory of getting pulled 3 minutes early in his first game will be far from his conscious thought.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Specious logic and rather shortsighted .
    Shortsighted? I'm always thinking about the long view. Which is why I was on board sitting Williamson the entire season so when he came back there would be no limits on his play. Call me what you want but taking a person that's always been in favor of stretched out meticulous rebuilds and calling them shortsighted seems very inaccurate.

He looked gassed because he was gassed. He looked like a statue when Forbes blew right passed him for a layup. Zion was standing under the goal bending over pulling down on his shorts say hard, I'm surprised they didn't come off.
    Then you call a time out and let him catch his wind before sending him back out.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

ESPN be showing his one foot landings last night. Whoever taught him the new landings well it went in one ear and out the other.

I dunno.

You really have to listen to your medical staff on this one. You are not going to get to the playoffs if hes crocked again!
    Hype of the crowd can work against you physically, remember this with rushing back KD and Russ in OKC.

Should be celebrating that 3pt confidence!

Stephen A Smith will give his opinion on this situation on ESPN First Take.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    When that player comes back the next year. Which is what we should have done with Zion. Either he's not in danger of farther damage or he is.

It's not having better communication it's telling a flat out lie. Plus how in the world does a functional franchise not tell the coach that his player is on a mins restriction? Especially a player with this amount of publicity? Ignore all the red flags that you want but this is Knicks level incompetence.
    He has to get himself up to full speed, and you just can't do that by not playing. It's natural to bring him along by playing him in the game for short spurts, and then slowly lengthening that over time. It sucks to watch right now, but it makes no sense to delay that even further by waiting a whole offseason. At this stage, I trust Griffin and what has been the best training staff in the league for the last 20 years. If you don't, that's your call, but I feel people are making much ado about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    ESPN be showing his one foot landings last night. Whoever taught him the new landings well it went in one ear and out the other.
    You know that you can land on one foot and it's not inherently a bad landing? Obviously 2 feet landings are always preferable, but if you don't have the space or you've been knocked off balance in mid-air (as happened in this game a few times), it's perfectly possible to land on one foot and do it properly.

I just rewatched a highlights clip of all of his buckets, assists, and turnovers. In it, he made what I would call 8 real jumps last night: not little 6 inch hops, legitimate jumps. Of those 8, 6 were one footed landings, which is obviously not optimal, but of the 8 only 2 were what 'bad' landings. Another 2 were meh landings, where they weren't exactly what you'd want but for understandable reasons (lack of room to land, or getting shoved off line in mid air), and the remaining 4 were fine.

It takes time and practice to really nail down a new way of moving when your old ways are so ingrained. You expect a transition period where someone displays a mixture of the new and old. Last game was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    That is really rushing to conclusions, imo. Zion's here in New Orleans pretty much for the next 7 years due to the rules of restricted free agency, and I very much doubt that he will be making his decision to stay or leave with a single thought of this game in his mind. In fact, I figure he probably won't even care too much about this game within two or three weeks. It's frustrating to be sat when you're feeling it, but only really in the moment. Zion's a smart kid, looking back he'll recognise why the med staff did it, even if he didn't agree with it, and he'll get over it.

I promise you that when we're wrecking shop in the playoffs next season and the years after that, Zion's memory of getting pulled 3 minutes early in his first game will be far from his conscious thought.
    I agree. You could already hear in his post game interview that he was acknowledging he was frustrated when the decision was made, but sounded accepting of it. He's 19. It's natural to be upset when you are having a good run and you're told you need to come out. When stepping out of the moment, cooler heads prevail and he understands why they're doing what they're doing.

Shortsighted? I'm always thinking about the long view. Which is why I was on board sitting Williamson the entire season so when he came back there would be no limits on his play. Call me what you want but taking a person that's always been in favor of stretched out meticulous rebuilds and calling them shortsighted seems very inaccurate.
    Your view is not a "long view" no matter how much you want to call it that. It's an illogical over reaction. Sitting a healthy player an entire season does nothing but put more stress on the player to keep weight down and keep his skill level up. All you are actually doing is inviting MORE probability for injury next year not less.

I'm guessing you have never played organized basketball on even a semi elite level. But the only way to prepare yourself for what this game does to your body is to PLAY. Not get on a treadmill, not scrimmage, not play 3 on 3.

Holding him out all year when his body is ready for games is the most counter productive thing you can possibly ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Then you call a time out and let him catch his wind before sending him back out.
    That's NOT how "catching your wind" works. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Your view is not a "long view" no matter how much you want to call it that. It's an illogical over reaction. Sitting a healthy player an entire season does nothing but put more stress on the player to keep weight down and keep his skill level up. All you are actually doing is inviting MORE probability for injury next year not less.

I'm guessing you have never played organized basketball on even a semi elite level. But the only way to prepare yourself for what this game does to your body is to PLAY. Not get on a treadmill, not scrimmage, not play 3 on 3.

Holding him out all year when his body is ready for games is the most counter productive thing you can possibly ask for.
    Agree. Weaning would be the process regardless . Waiting until next year , when you can start the normalcy process now is literally wasting time!

That's NOT how "catching your wind" works. Wow.
    He was not tired. A normal workload would have averaged 60pts for him last night. Easily defeat Spurs.

He was not tired. A normal workload would have averaged 60pts for him last night. Easily defeat Spurs.
    Huh, that's odd. Zion on Woj POD said that he was a bit winded. Don't know about you, but I was sitting about 20 yards from Zion when he got blown by on defensive end & he was all but pulling his shorts to his ankles, while bent over under the goal. Working so hard to be contrary has to become tedious after a while.

Just as a horse doesn't run 22.1 in the last quarter of a race. That loopy attempt at logic sounds silly.

Just as a horse doesn't run 22.1 in the last quarter of a race. That loopy attempt at logic sounds silly.
    Listen to his postgame interview again.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

Keeping weight off is mostly dietary. So this argument that he needs to play to lose weight is ridiculous false. Zion carrying around 280 is likely to have a huge negative impact on his body.

Putting a guy on mins restriction says he's not fully ready. So the argument that he's 100% is again inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    He has to get himself up to full speed, and you just can't do that by not playing. It's natural to bring him along by playing him in the game for short spurts, and then slowly lengthening that over time. It sucks to watch right now, but it makes no sense to delay that even further by waiting a whole offseason. At this stage, I trust Griffin and what has been the best training staff in the league for the last 20 years. If you don't, that's your call, but I feel people are making much ado about nothing.
    1st it's about the weight that Zion is currently at. I don't want him playing until he 15lbs lighter. 2nd I'm aware of easing a player back in. The question posed to me was when does a player not get eased back in. My response was when that player is given an entire off season to get back to full health and conditioning. I think it's far more important to have him miss development time on court to put development time into getting his body in place that will allow him to better handle the grid of the NBA schedule. It's the lesser evil. Zion can easily bounce back from missing the 2nd half of the season. If his body starts to break down that is not easily overcome.

I knew this tread was coming. Folks blame Gentry for the coronavirus that's infecting China.

Listen to his postgame interview again.
    Got it. Players never fib. I watched the guy basically looking for an oxygen mask. I don't have to listen to an interview, when 40 minutes prior I was watching him sucking air.

1st it's about the weight that Zion is currently at. I don't want him playing until he 15lbs lighter. 2nd I'm aware of easing a player back in. The question posed to me was when does a player not get eased back in. My response was when that player is given an entire off season to get back to full health and conditioning. I think it's far more important to have him miss development time on court to put development time into getting his body in place that will allow him to better handle the grid of the NBA schedule. It's the lesser evil. Zion can easily bounce back from missing the 2nd half of the season. If his body starts to break down that is not easily overcome.
    Imagine revamping your entire training staff to hire the absolute best trainer of the last 20 years, and then having a plan set out by both that expert trainer and also a group of trained medical professionals, and being like this.

Keeping weight off is mostly dietary. So this argument that he needs to play to lose weight is ridiculous false. Zion carrying around 280 is likely to have a huge negative impact on his body.

Putting a guy on mins restriction says he's not fully ready. So the argument that he's 100% is again inaccurate.
    So, every NBA player that comes back from a long layoff after surgery immediately plays 35-40 minutes their first game back?

Got it. Players never fib. I watched the guy basically looking for an oxygen mask. I don't have to listen to an interview, when 40 minutes prior I was watching him sucking air.
    Huge exaggeration. He was not that tired. You mention Forbes (a fast guard) blowing past him when he wasn't squared as the proof. I am sure he was starting to get winded just being his first game back, but he was not that bad at all.

Thread Information