Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 8th January - New Orleans Pelicans VS Chicago Bulls - 12-25

Pelicans 8th January - New Orleans Pelicans VS Chicago Bulls - 12-25

Welcome to yet another home game. With regards to last game's loss against the Utah Jazz, the NBA ruled in the 2 Minute Report that Gobert did indeed foul Ingram, and that we should have gotten free throws. They are not, from what we can tell, going to do anything about it. We are now 12-25, meaning we're on pace to win 26 games this season. Going .500 from here until the end of the year would get us 35 wins.

Moving onwards.

Tonight we take on the Chicago Bulls, and Jrue Holiday will miss his second consecutive game with his elbow complaint.

Unfortunately for those of you who have been keeping track of our defense, you will be saddened to hear that our recent increase has regressed: after making it up as high as 23rd, we have slipped back down to 26th on defense. Some of that is just bad luck, combined with other teams worse than us having good performances, so it's not anything to get too sad about but still; it's happened.

The Chicago Bulls are 13-24, so pretty much the same record as us, and are currently riding a 4 game losing streak; their last win was against the pitiful Hawks. Wendell Carter Jr exited their game on Monday early with an ankle issue and is questionable for this game; Otto Porter Jr is still out, as he has been for weeks.

The Bulls have the reverse of the issue we had for a while; they have a top 10 defense, 7th in the NBA, but the 28th ranked offense. Can't score. That's their issue; just can't score. And it's not that they're slow; they're 14th in the league in pace, they go faster than the Lakers do, they just can't score. Dead last (30th) in FG%, 17th in 3PT%, 19th in FT%. They lead the league in steals with 10 per game, but are bottom 10 in rebounds, assists, and blocks; they don't crack the top 15 in any of the Four Offensive Factors.

Their leading scorer is Zach Lavine, averaging about 23ppg on about 39% from 3. That's good. On the other hand, Lavine cannot defend my mother, and she's 5'1 and 54 years old. It's not unlikely that Ingram will be able to hunt for matchups with Lavine from time to time, and if he can do that then that's a perfect mismatch to attack: Ingram is pretty good at driving off the bounce, and Lavine has all the resilience of a piece of wet bread.

Their rookie, Coby White, has been dreadful according to pretty much all Bulls fans I know. I've only watched a handful of Bulls games this year, and this seems to be true. He's shooting 37% from the floor and 35% from 3, averaging 11 points in 24 minutes a night. He, too, cannot defend anyone.

The strength of the Bulls defense comes from Wendell Carter (out), Thad Young, Kris Dunn, and Tomas Satoransky, who have all been very good defensively so far this season, as well as solid backup rim protection from Daniel Gafford; these will be the guys we have to score on to win.

So let's do that. #WBD
    Basketball.

Big lol at Redick shooting basically 50/50/95 over the last 12 games.

Basketball Guru
    hope we come out with the same energy as last game but come out with a win....go pels..

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Kind of amazing that a guy that size can basically casually roll in and leap to get his head near rim level and not really even appear to be trying too hard. Kind of like a casual layup for everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Kind of amazing that a guy that size can basically casually roll in and leap to get his head near rim level and not really even appear to be trying too hard. Kind of like a casual layup for everyone else.
    Yeah, the command and immediacy of the athleticism is what really gets me. Takes him no time at all, and no real run up. It's like that video I posted from Dru the other day where Zion just does a between the legs dunk from basically a standing position. For a guy who probably weighs around 270lbs right now (he looks a little slimmed down to me) to just have that explosion without any effort or strain or even needing a running start... it's baffling.

Like you said, head near rim levels without even trying. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Big lol at Redick shooting basically 50/50/95 over the last 12 games.
    Big lol at Ingram shooting basically 50/40/90 over the entire season so far..

Anybody else as excited as me to see Zion/Ingram/Lonzo this year and grow together!? That’s not even including our multiple future 1st and other young studs along with Jrue. This team is going to be fun and I mean very fun soon!

Here we go with the refs already.

Absolutely terrible start. Can we please pick and roll down low to Favors every single play!

Some shots are falling but the offense doesn't look optimal right now

Pels shooting 36.4% so far. No 3s made.

Offense stinks right now

Powerful Hayes

Great to see NAW getting early minutes, loved that feed to Jax and the finish through contact. Jax should have got FTs tho

Ingram goes iso-ball, gets blocked at the rim. No passes in that possession at all. Not optimal.

I could hear the slap across Hayes arms from the bathroom while taking a ********.

Do we need to get shot to get a foul call?

Pels shot selection has just been unpleasant so far, to say the least.

Ingram is 1/5 early, Lonzo is 1/3, Redick is 1/4, it's not what you'd hope for.

For comparison, Jax is 2/2 and Favors is 3/3. Probably should look to go inside a lil more.

Come on Ingram!

Catches the out of bounds pass, immediately starts trying to post up. Not even looking to pass. Turns it over on a travel.

We know you're better than that Ingram

Redick nails a ridiculous off the catch round-screen leaner

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    I have a fever. And the only prescription is more NAW!

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    I have a fever. And the only prescription is more NAW!
    4 assists in 4 minutes. No fouls, no turnovers he's locating guys well right now

Melli Minutes, apparently

Great contest from Jax, stopping Markkanen

Thread Information