Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 23rd December - New Orleans Pelicans @ Portland Trailblazers - 7-23

Pelicans 23rd December - New Orleans Pelicans @ Portland Trailblazers - 7-23

We follow up a streak-breaking win against the Timberwolves with a loss to the worst team in basketball, and now we hit the road to take on the Blazers. The Blazers are not a good team, per se, but they do still tend to beat the terrible teams. Their record is currently 14-16, so they're a touch below .500, but recently that's been trending upwards: they've won 5 of their last 6, and that's largely due to them hitting a soft spot in the schedule where they can feast on some sub-par teams. In this 6 game stretch, they've lost to Denver but have picked up wins against Golden State, Minnesota, Phoenix, and the Orlando Magic. Tonight, at home, they hit another sub-par team in the New Orleans Pelicans, who have dropped 14 of their last 15.

Are we injured? Do we have that excuse? Let's look at the injury report.

The answer is no: aside from Miller, who will possibly miss the whole season, and Zion, who has been out all year so far, we are entirely healthy. That means Favors, Lonzo, Jrue, Ingram, Redick, NAW, Jaxson, the entire crew. We cannot use the ''team is injured'' excuse for a loss tonight.

Speaking of Zion, here's a little Zion update.

Anyway, what about the Blazers? Well, they're 10th in ORTG, 18th in DRTG, 6th in 3PT%, 1st in FT% (but only 24th in FTAs), 6th in rebounds, 2nd in blocks, and 30th in assists. What does that mean? Well, they make their threes, they make their FTs but aren't incredible at drawing fouls, they eat up all the boards and they don't pass the ball. To some extent, that should make it an easier night for us on defense: their high ORTG is not the product of dynamic offense, just the product of people hitting all their shots. It's always easier to defend a stagnant offense than a flowing one, and the Blazers create fewer assists than any team in the league.

That said, they do make their shots, which is a bad sign for a Pelicans team that has (despite being statistically a touch better recently) historically been unable to stop anyone doing anything.

What do we need to do to win this? Simple: play strict defense and actually move the ball. It's within our capacity to win this game. This isn't some pipe-dream, where a win would be a minor miracle. This is just a case of the team needing to come out and execute. If they can do that, and Gentry can resist the urge to play 4 guards at a time, we can win this one. Does that mean we will? Frankly, I have little faith, but it is possible.

Let's go and do our best. #WBD
    Basketball.

I....uh yeah.....go Pels and stuff.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

I'm going to the game, this will be the first NBA game I'll have seen in person in over a decade. Hopefully it isn't too embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshinePumper View Post
    I'm going to the game, this will be the first NBA game I'll have seen in person in over a decade. Hopefully it isn't too embarrassing.
    I have my fingers crossed for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshinePumper View Post
    Yes . We hope you enjoy the #FireGentry tour this evening . If you can make a Pelicans Report sign so we can all see you!

I get that Kenrich has had a horrible December offensively, and that with Zion injury there isn't really any other option, but I still hate seeing Gentry start 3 guards. It's just horrid.

Dumb early foul. Why would you leap out of your shoes there, Lonzo? Just stay vertical and make Melo have to take the tough shot, don't leap forward into him and bail him out.

Nice to see Favors looking very active on both ends right now

Nice finish from Ingram. Couldn't quite out-speed his defender but used the length to put up the shot. That's using physical tools.

When Redick really swings into a shot it almost seems like it can't miss.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I get that Kenrich has had a horrible December offensively, and that with Zion injury there isn't really any other option, but I still hate seeing Gentry start 3 guards. It's just horrid.
    naw,,jackson and hart 3 guard lineup was fire in the pre season...it was the second unit but they were playing like they have been together for years......

I see tonight is CJ McCollum's night to hit all the stupid shots

Basketball Guru
    ingram is scoring 40 tonight..

It's real Jaxson Hayes Screen Assist Hours

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Looking halfway competent.

Too little too late.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Now that we are out of playoff contention they will start playing lights out and save Alvin's job.

It is the way.

I have spoken.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    Now that we are out of playoff contention they will start playing lights out and save Alvin's job.

It is the way.

I have spoken.
    Not this time. Enough is enough.

Basketball Guru
    dame going to foul hayes out..

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    That was a damn block. Moron refs gonna foul out Hayes.

The ball was NOT COMING DOWN! WTF

The Franchise
    That was a damn block. Moron refs gonna foul out Hayes.

The ball was NOT COMING DOWN! WTF

Great close to the quarter there. Peak Frank Jackson.

Stop playing Frank. Play NAW.

Basketball Guru

It is the way.

I have spoken.

i honestly believe sometime in january this team will play consistently and go on a couple of win streaks lol....it wont save gentry job but ill be glad to see good ball being played...

Thread Information