Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 5th December - New Orleans Pelicans VS Phoenix Suns - 6-15

End of the game. We lose, 139-132, our 7th consecutive loss.

Statlines:

Ingram: 21 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists. Shot 60% from the floor. 6 turnovers, 6 fouls.
    Hayes: 17 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 5 blocks. Shot 75% from the floor. 1 turnover, 5 fouls.
    Lonzo: 20 points, 11 assists, 6 rebounds, 3 steals, 2 blocks. Shot 66% from the floor. 7 turnovers, 2 fouls.
    Redick: 26 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists. Shot 64% from the floor, 3 turnovers, 5 fouls.
    Jrue: 23 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists, 5 steals, 1 block. 55% shooting, 4 turnovers, 4 fouls.
    Basketball.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PelicanNation View Post
    Ok so what is the point of having a coaching staff then? These are grown men right? They can coach themselves right? Lol you’re a funny guy.
    It's not all one or the other.

Dude makes a dumb play, it's the coach's fault? What about his parents? Maybe they should pay fines when their kids don't know you don't follow Ricky damn Rubio over a ball screen.

Obviously the coaches job is to come up with schemes and plays (you'd think) that put players in the best position to win. I mean, Lonzo dribbles the ball off his foot, that's not on Lonzo?

Redick steps out of bounds for the 20th time this season, that's on Gentry? Should've had them paint the court wider? Players and coaches have a share of responsibility.

Just so happens coaches are easier targets since they tend to linger a lot longer than players do.

19 - 6 in offensive rebounding. 2nd Chance points killed us.

Jax had five rebounds; only one on the defensive end.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PelicanNation View Post
    Ok so what is the point of having a coaching staff then? These are grown men right? They can coach themselves right? Lol you’re a funny guy.
    It’s probably best to imagine the Pels without a coach. That’s how they play.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    19 - 6 in offensive rebounding. 2nd Chance points killed us.

Jax had five rebounds; only one on the defensive end.
    They were smart. They drew him out a lot, which left the rebounding to the undersized guards. Which, we see how that worked out.

Another game where We beat ourselves.

It's December and We are already tanking? Pathetic.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    It’s probably best to imagine the Pels without a coach. That’s how they play.
    I'm struggling to think of a team running an offense that requires zero input from the coach on a team of mostly young players. That's way too much to ask from these guys. It's why in the crunch, when teams tighten up, they default to iso and ball watching. Set plays take a lot of thinking away and minimize mistakes. It's too damn advanced and early for that kinda thing.

THAT is on Gentry.

They were smart. They drew him out a lot, which left the rebounding to the undersized guards. Which, we see how that worked out.
    Well, part of it is that. Another part of it is that Jaxson doesn't really have that physical force to carve out space under the basket yet. We've all said it: he needs to put on 20lbs. It's still true. When the paint gets absolutely packed, he has trouble forcing his way in.

It's also worth saying that Jax is perfectly happy to let a guard get the board. If the board bounces off the rim and comes between him and, say, Hart, he's perfectly happy to let Hart get it. I'm much less interested in Jaxson's personal rebounding numbers than I am in how the team rebounds with him on the floor; I'd imagine it's better, though I haven't checked the numbers yet.

I’m usually not happy about a loss, but this one was a good sign. Once this team gets a coach, they will be dangerous. Kind of weird that Griff decided to go his first season without a coach. The search must be very thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I'm struggling to think of a team running an offense that requires zero input from the coach on a team of mostly young players. That's way too much to ask from these guys. It's why in the crunch, when teams tighten up, they default to iso and ball watching. Set plays take a lot of thinking away and minimize mistakes. It's too damn advanced and early for that kinda thing.

THAT is on Gentry.
    I agree. He should have slowed them down and ran some things just to get them started.

I don’t know what people feel, but I think Nancy Lieberman would be a good coach for this team. The stuff she says is so straight forward and correct.

Basketball Guru
    free throws and turnovers....we make free throws we win...

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    free throws and turnovers....we make free throws we win...
    Jrue misses on purpose. I refuse to believe anything else. He only misses them in crunch time, just like all of his shots tonight.

There are three players on this team that are untouchable IMO: BI, ZW, and Jax.

That said, it is disingenuous not to recognize that Jax is a defensive liability as a team defender. He has a long way to go to be average as a team defender (as opposed to one on one).

That said, it is disingenuous not to recognize that Jax is a defensive liability as a team defender. He has a long way to go to be average as a team defender (as opposed to one on one).
    Sure, but you could say that about pretty much anyone on this team atm.

Jax is the youngest player on the team other than Zion, and Zion hasn't played yet. So he's the youngest guy who's touched the floor, didn't even play that much at college (averaged 20 minutes ish per night), and wasn't primarily a basketball guy until he was well into high school. He's also playing on a team with no defensive identity, surrounded by other players who can't/won't play defense.

Given that, it's not at all surprising that his team D is a bit behind. That said, it's not nearly as behind as it could be and he's already shown improvement in that area. Just let the guy grow.

Basketball Guru
    Jrue misses on purpose. I refuse to believe anything else. He only misses them in crunch time, just like all of his shots tonight.
    the last 4 or 5 games it seem like that smh...

Pels need to stop automatically switching. AD and Joel were saying it all game. No reason to take Jax or the big out the paint so much.

Basketball Guru
    the 3rd week in January i wish i can see a starting lineup of jrue,,ingram,,zion,,hayes,,,favors.........

Yeah the entire team is lacking in team defense. Jrue gives up three balls all the time when he isn’t the primary defender. They do a ton of ball watching and then lazily contest. JJ doesn’t even run out half the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Sure, but you could say that about pretty much anyone on this team atm.

Jax is the youngest player on the team other than Zion, and Zion hasn't played yet. So he's the youngest guy who's touched the floor, didn't even play that much at college (averaged 20 minutes ish per night), and wasn't primarily a basketball guy until he was well into high school. He's also playing on a team with no defensive identity, surrounded by other players who can't/won't play defense.

Given that, it's not at all surprising that his team D is a bit behind. That said, it's not nearly as behind as it could be and he's already shown improvement in that area. Just let the guy grow.
    OMG, for the most part, we agree!!!

Since you are the stat guru, can you find out what team in the league gives up the most uncontested layups atm?

Basketball Guru
    Pels need to stop automatically switching. AD and Joel were saying it all game. No reason to take Jax or the big out the paint so much.
    thats why i want to see hayes and favors in the same lineup so favors can rebound and hayes roam around and play help defense and block shots...

NAW and Hayes got good minutes. This is a win in my book. No complaints for the tank commander.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    thats why i want to see hayes and favors in the same lineup so favors can rebound and hayes roam around and play help defense and block shots...
    That lineup would be very similar in length to the Utah team Favors was on. I just don’t trust Jrue with ball handling or playmaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    NAW and Hayes got good minutes. This is a win in my book. No complaints for the tank commander.
    Pretty much. They stopped playing Moore. That’s a win in my book.

Pretty much. They stopped playing Moore. That’s a win in my book.

Thread Information