Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: 23rd November - New Orleans Pelicans @ Utah Jazz - 6-9

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Another Pels game.

Another Pyrrhic victory. Little troll up there will say otherwise, I guess. Good fight back. That's important for a young team.
    Bro, stop talking about me. I don’t come at you clown. In fact, I have never even mentioned you.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    If they had played any kind of defense in the 1st quarter at all, they win. I don't know what the hell that was.

This forum would be much cooler if people who just genuinely disliked each other just muted each other.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    This forum would be much cooler if people who just genuinely disliked each other just muted each other.
    It’s not that. I talk about my opinion on the team. This dude stays calling people trolls and stuff. I thought the point of the board was to discuss what we feel in regards to the team. I’m not someone that likes moral victories. I don’t go into a game expecting second place, and losing is not something I’m ok with. To each his own. Some people are not as mad about losing and that’s ok. But, don’t call me a troll and think I’m not going to say something. I enjoy each game day conversation and I never say anyone is wrong. I just tell them my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    It’s not that. I talk about my opinion on the team. This dude stays calling people trolls and stuff. I thought the point of the board was to discuss what we feel in regards to the team. I’m not someone that likes moral victories. I don’t go into a game expecting second place, and losing is not something I’m ok with. To each his own.

Well yeah exactly, to each their own. If you don't like being called a troll (which is totally fair obviously if you're not actually trolling then it's annoying to be called one) then just mute the dude and you'll never have to deal with it again.

The Franchise
    Maybe you should take off your belt and stare at them.. It seemed to cool off Guardian and JJ..

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    If they had played any kind of defense in the 1st quarter at all, they win. I don't know what the hell that was.
    I think they just got overwhelmed. I don’t think they were ready for the Jazz to come out so prepared, especially with Gobert out.

I mean yeah, but it would also be nice if everyone wasn’t worried about winning the internet. I don’t agree with everything Fedup says, but he doesn’t go around complaining, spamming, passively aggressively throwing shade at anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    Maybe you should take off your belt and stare at them.. It seemed to cool off Guardian and JJ..
    Could be worth a shot. God knows nothing else works.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I mean yeah, but it would also be nice if everyone wasn’t worried about winning the internet. I don’t agree with everything Feduo says, but he doesn’t go around complaining, spamming, passively aggressively throwing shade at anyone.
    That's fair.

It’s not that. I talk about my opinion on the team. This dude stays calling people trolls and stuff. I thought the point of the board was to discuss what we feel in regards to the team. I’m not someone that likes moral victories. I don’t go into a game expecting second place, and losing is not something I’m ok with. To each his own. Some people are not as mad about losing and that’s ok. But, don’t call me a troll and think I’m not going to say something. I enjoy each game day conversation and I never say anyone is wrong. I just tell them my opinion.
    Then state your opinion on it.

"I don't like moral victories."

People who are constantly negative get at me but otherwise, state your opinion and it's all good. Come at people with arrogance and I'll call it out. You've done the "no moral victories" ordering people around before.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

GA’s appreciation thread is up!

Quit the fighting and let’s celebrate GuardianAngel’s night on this forum!

So, doing my usual post-game stats dig, here's some info.

- Jax had a negative rating for the first time in 5 games. He wasn't a drastic negative (-6.9) but his inability to deal with Mitchell in the PnR definitely showed up in the stat sheets.

- Jrue led the team in Points in the Paint with 18. Jax came second with 10.

- Jax and Ingram both had 4 second chance points, leading the team.

- Jax had 6 screen assists leading to 16 points, more than double the second place player on the team.

- Kenrich and Ingram led the team in contested shots, with 11 each. Jax came third with 10, Jrue fourth with 9.

- Jrue led the team in deflections, with 7. Ingram was second, with 3.

- Best net rating on the team was Lonzo, at +14. Worst net rating on the team was Ingram, at -25. Moore was second at -23.3

- Jrue played at the team's fastest individual pace, clocking in at 110. Ingram was the team's slowest player at 104.7, which is probably explained by some of those early isos in the first half.

This team missing Zion, Favors, and Hart can't overcome a playoff team only missing Gobert.

Especially on the road against a team with the built in advantage of altitude.

That said, when this roster does get healthy, Gentry has GOT to make some decisions. Certain folks will need to stop seeing minutes.

So, doing my usual post-game stats dig, here's some info.

- Jax had a negative rating for the first time in 5 games. He wasn't a drastic negative (-6.9) but his inability to deal with Mitchell in the PnR definitely showed up in the stat sheets.

- Jrue led the team in Points in the Paint with 18. Jax came second with 10.

- Jax and Ingram both had 4 second chance points, leading the team.

- Jax had 6 screen assists leading to 16 points, more than double the second place player on the team.

- Kenrich and Ingram led the team in contested shots, with 11 each. Jax came third with 10, Jrue fourth with 9.

- Jrue led the team in deflections, with 7. Ingram was second, with 3.

- Best net rating on the team was Lonzo, at +14. Worst net rating on the team was Ingram, at -25. Moore was second at -23.3

- Jrue played at the team's fastest individual pace, clocking in at 110. Ingram was the team's slowest player at 104.7, which is probably explained by some of those early isos in the first half.
    Really good sign for Lonzo

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Quit the fighting and let’s celebrate GuardianAngel’s night on this forum!
    Lol.

You're right with this approach.

I'll start an early NY resolution to be positive and not make any shady snarky posts. Unless MM posts. I'll still be snarky to him. But everyone else, I'll do only positive. And refs. Officiating posts will be negative. And Lakers comments. AD in particular. And Draymond and Harden. But not for you fellow posters.

I do appreciate all of you peeps.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Unless MM posts. I'll still be snarky to him.
    Being mean to MM is like a public utility. Everyone has a right to it.

Being mean to MM is like a public utility. Everyone has a right to it.
    Ha! That’s ********ing hilarious!
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Hahaha

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    I think they just got overwhelmed. I don’t think they were ready for the Jazz to come out so prepared, especially with Gobert out.
    I need to look at the tape. The Jazz should never be shooting wide open 3's. WTF is happening in this "system" if no one even gets a hand in the face of a defender and they literally make 100% of their shots for 5 minutes straight.

You can't consistently win like that. They need to focus only on cleaning that up.

This is the Jazz's shotchart from quarter 1 alone.

6 of 11 from three. 58.3% from the floor.

The defense in the first quarter was abominable.

- In the first quarter, only one Pelican had a positive net rating. It was Frank Jackson, and his net rating was +3.3

- Every starter except Kenrich had a net rating of at least -50. Ingram's was the worst, at a frankly staggering -134

Now of course, single game net rating isn't the most reliable thing in the world, so single quarter net rating would be even less so. That's totally true. But I think that if *every starter but one* has a net rating of more than -50, then the weight of that evidence alone tells you something was up.

It's worse than just missing rotations or assignments, although that was part of it; there were times where guys didn't even move to close out.

By comparison, here are those same stats for the 4th quarter:

- Every starter was at least neutral (Ingram's net rating was 0, Jaxson's was the highest at +28.8)

- Two players had net ratings of at least 25 (Jax and Redick)

We won that quarter by 2. If you look at the third quarter, which is where we really pulled the lead down and we won by 10, these stats grow even more. Jax had a +38.9 net rating in the third quarter. Jrue's 3rd quarter rating was the worst on the team, and it was +17.8.

Again, single quarter net rating has to be taken with a HUGE bucket of salt, but the trend is obvious: we just did not defend in the first quarter, and the huge hole that put us in ruined it. It wasn't that we didn't have the personnel or the capacity to defend the Jazz roster. We do, and we did: that second half was a huge turnaround.

You guys really melting down for losing to a good Jazz team... Well, we are to get our butt kicked in for a few more games. So, get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    You guys really melting down for losing to a good Jazz team... Well, we are to get our butt kicked in for a few more games. So, get used to it.
    I don't think anyone's particularly upset that we lost. That was largely expected. We lucked out that Gobert wasn't present, but they still have plenty of good players and they're well coached, and we were on the road, etc etc. Us losing isn't exactly ideal, but it doesn't break my heart.

The frustrating part is how garbage we looked at the start of the game. You can't control what the other team does, really: you can influence it a little through defense and scheming but at the end of the day they'll take the shots they're willing to bet on, and either make them or miss them. Outside of a few blocks or deflections here or there, that's what it comes down to.

But you can control what your team does. When you're on the court, you're part of that machine, that system, and your choices matter. When you choose to play defense the way we did in the first quarter, that's something more than just regrettable, it's actively embarrassing. That's something you do have some influence on, some control over, and the team just didn't seem interested in committing on that end. That's pathetic, and it doesn't matter whether you do it against the Jazz, the '96 Bulls, the 2015 Warriors, or the 9 win Bobcats.

TERRIBLE first half, really good second. Still a lot to learn.

#WorkInProgress

Thread Information