Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 21st November - New Orleans Pelicans @ Phoenix Suns - 5-9

Pelicans 21st November - New Orleans Pelicans @ Phoenix Suns - 5-9

After our truly dreadful start to the season, things are looking a touch better recently. We've improved to 4-4 at home, and won 4 of our last 6 games. Our defense has improved from 28th in the NBA to 24th (still bad, but not as bad) and our offensive efficiency has crept up from 14th to 11th. These increases are small, but it's had a real impact on the games: we've simply looked better, despite the injuries.

Speaking of injuries, this is our current injury report:

Simply put: expect everyone who played in last game to be here again, and Lonzo/Okafor may or may not be available.

Meanwhile, the Suns aren't untouched by injury either.

Rubio is a big swing factor here: the Suns are simply better when he's on court due to him taking lead-guard duties away from Devin Booker, who functions much better as a 2. If he plays, the game gets a lot harder, and if he sits, it gets a lot easier. Baynes being out is also huge: he's been averaging 15/6/3 this season, shooting 54% from the floor and 44% from three, while also setting great screens and playing hard-nosed defense. Him being out opens up a lot of things for us.

The biggest takeaways from this for me are simple: the Suns are without Ayton or Baynes, so we should attack the rim and throw up lobs/hit the roll-man all night long. They are absolutely devoid of size and rim protection right now. They're 28th in rebounding as it is, so we should aim to dominate on the glass. Jaxson Hayes and (if he's playing) Okafor should feast on that, and Jrue/Ingram should be making the drive their number one priority. Putting someone like Booker in the PnR is also a recipe for success, since he has no competent big to provide help, he can't defend Jrue, and any switch would put him at the mercy of a much bigger man he cannot defend.

Currently, the Suns are on a backslide; they've dropped 3 of their last 4, including 2 straight. Despite this, though, they are not a bad team this year. They're well coached and some of the roster changes they've made have paid off well. If we lose tonight, it's not the end of the world. But if we win, that would be fantastic: it would give us some momentum, taking a win from a good team, and begin to build up our currently terrible road record. Especially helpful is the fact that they're injured, which compensates a little for our own injury troubles. Let's go out there and get the win. #WBD
    Basketball.

Literally as I post this, I see this. Lonzo will play, and come off the bench.

With Rubio and Baynes out. We have a perfect opportunity to sneak out a win if we keep the momentum going.

Now that Jrue is out of his slumber and the team is starting to figure things out on defense, our depth is starting to show up. How many teams could go without 4 starters for very long and win games? We are still down 2 starters tonight. Most teams would struggle mightily with similar circumstances. At least non of our injuries are "serious" (although I would classify Zion's injury as serious but not career threatening despite the spin the organization put on it).

Yet another game where the other team has injuries to key guys that should make our lives a tad bit easier.

Also, keep an eye on Zion's status on the injury report to change soon. We're only 12 days away from the 6 week post surgery mark.

Seeing Jrue and BI gelling on the court against the Blazers has my hopes up. They worked really well together and I would like to see that tandem progress. Lonzo coming off of the bench is a good thing as well. He needs to get used to the 6th man role on this team anyway.

Another chance to beat another banged up team. Lonzo returns! Beat Minty!

I just remembered that the Suns have Cheick Diallo now.

The Revenge Game.

Gentry better not blow this ! Game on TNT too. Don’t embarrass us Alvin!

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I just remembered that the Suns have Cheick Diallo now.

The Revenge Game.
    He should play, but they have been without Baynes before and Chieck only got 2 minutes. I’m guessing he hasn’t progressed since he joined the Suns.

If we are going to win one of the next 3, this should be the game we focus heavily. Get ourselves as close to 500 as possible before Zion returns.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Gentry better not blow this ! Game on TNT too. Don’t embarrass us Alvin!
    The last person he wants to get out coached by is Monty.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    He should play, but they have been without Baynes before and Chieck only got 2 minutes. I’m guessing he hasn’t progressed since he joined the Suns.
    I love Diallo's energy and tenacity, and he does every now and then have good games, but he does seem like the kind of player who is always 2 years away from being 2 years away. Maybe he'll put it all together one day, but this summer we essentially just swapped Diallo for Hayes, and that's a monster upgrade

Random stat that means literally nothing, but I found to be really cool as I was reading a 538 article: Jaxson Hayes is on pace to have the highest WS/48 ever for a 19 year old. Kid is doing work.

Link: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-lebron-james/

Good news Lonzo is just about back. The faster he can take over point guard duties from Jrue the better. Turnovers are bad, but the Jrue left handed cross court attempts past 4 defenders style ones send me into instant depression.

Since he is playing better otherwise, getting him off ball might return his play to all star levels. Major plus.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Good news Lonzo is just about back. The faster he can take over point guard duties from Jrue the better. Turnovers are bad, but the Jrue left handed cross court attempts past 4 defenders style ones send me into instant depression.

Since he is playing better otherwise, getting him off ball might return his play to all star levels. Major plus.
    Lonzo needs to stay glued to the bench unit.

Minty vs. Ginty

Who y'all got?

Totally agree. Lonzo is the one major piece that remains a question mark for me. What does he add right now when he’s on the floor? That may change, but for now Jrue and JJ are clearly the best starting back court. Their games are complimentary, they are savvy vets and it may be that playing lead guard again is what helped Holiday get aggressive and flip the switch...

Literally as I post this, I see this. Lonzo will play, and come off the bench.
    I swear if i have to see Jrue and Ball do their best Three stooges impressions together. I'm cutting someone.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Totally agree. Lonzo is the one major piece that remains a question mark for me. What does he add right now when he’s on the floor? That may change, but for now Jrue and JJ are clearly the best starting back court. Their games are complimentary, they are savvy vets and it may be that playing lead guard again is what helped Holiday get aggressive and flip the switch...
    If Kemba wasn't 29 years old. I'd like to see what a Kemba and Jrue tag team could of been.

Him and Malcom where the only free agents that I want to hand out the max.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Let’s be honest. The other guard next to Jrue is Ingram. That third guy needs to shoot and/or play defense. JJ being great. Hart also being a really good fit. Lonzo???? I don’t like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Let’s be honest. The other guard next to Jrue is Ingram. That third guy needs to shoot and/or play defense. JJ being great. Hart also being a really good fit. Lonzo???? I don’t like it.
    I'm not sure if I really consider Ingram a guard at all, but I get what you're saying.

I think the important thing is trying to maximise Ball as much as possible here. We know what Jrue can do with JJ and Ingram starting with him: he's been doing it for several games with JJ, and Ingram fit snugly into that setup last game.

Ball's biggest weakness is his absolute lack of will/ability to drive. It limits him offensively, as a playmaker and as an individual scorer. His indecisiveness in the half-court in particular means that he needs to be paired with someone who will have no such doubt; keeping him locked with NAW or Frank, both guys who will absolutely gun it and not psyche themselves out, will maximise his playmaking while also ensuring that he keeps a release valve option for when he can't make things happen.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    While I have not liked the way Lonzo has played before he got hurt, I am curious to see him with Jaxson.

Lonzo needs to stay glued to the bench unit.
    Once again, couldn't disagree more. Especially on offense.

A lot of you are getting lost in a schedule that's been kind lately. Long term Jrue needs to be off ball. We've rinsed repeated this multiple times already. But I guess recency bias will always be present when it comes to sports and a team that's won it's last two games.

But as usual, time will tell the truth. And I'll be here with the I told you so as usual when it does of course.
    Last edited by luckyman; 11-21-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

But as usual, time will tell the truth. And I'll be here with the untold you so as usual when it does of course.
    If I could roll my eyes any harder, they'd fall out of my head.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    This game will be interesting. We need our defense to show up. I think if we play consistent defense we can win a lot more games.

Is Rubio out??? If he’s playing I don’t feel very confident about us winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information